shape
carat
color
clarity

Need advice about this ring and questions to ask?

Bianca

Rough_Rock
Premium
Yesterday I went into a well established estate jeweler and fell in love with a ring I had no intention of liking. LOL

I put it on my finger and with my band it was just simply beautiful together and gave my tummy a flip. The reason I originally scoffed at it was that the center stone was a different yellow from the white stones on the side and I just assumed (mainly bc I had never ever ever considered wanting a yellow diamond) that it was just a way down the alphabet color.

but they say that is not the case, that it is a light yellow vs2 old european diamond.

Now, I know I should not CARE what others think, but it is so light, that i am wondering would the average person look at my hand and think why did she get a bad diamond? or would they assume it is a yellow diamond.. the center diamond is 1.12ct the side diamond CTW are .95 vs2 f-h color setting is 14kt wg ... they are asking 6999

I don't really know how to measure that cost based on the color? I am wanting to call the owner and talk more what should I ask about it, what sort of certifications etc? would really appreciate guidance on this!.

It is so light yellow that in some light it looks white. I have a video of it I can share if someone needs it.

FullSizeRender.jpg.jpeg

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It definitely looks yellow to me, and not "they housed a cheaper diamond in the centre". The contrast between the yellow & the sides is very obvious & intentional. I think it's beautiful! It looks very much at home with your band too!

I would ask for certification & history / provononce if they know?

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It looks sort of like a cape to me... I'd have to see more pics to assess

Bianca

Rough_Rock
Premium
It looks sort of like a cape to me... I'd have to see more pics to assess
a cape? ohh, you just threw something new at me. off to google HA!

Bianca

Rough_Rock
Premium
oh wow cape! from the pictures I am seeing YES that is what it looks like in person! what is this... ? back to google. I'm waiting for the jeweler to call me back to discuss this ring.. thanks for giving me something else to ponder!

Diamondz1

Shiny_Rock
I would ask if the center stone has a grading report in the hopes that it does, from a reputable lab like GIA or AGS.

If they don't have a report:
I'd ask the store for their estimate of the color because "light yellow" is not useful to gauge value. I'd also ask for the stone's measurements: length, width, and depth and do your own calculation of the carat weight to somewhat verify what they're saying (https://www.wpdiamonds.com/diamonds/weight-calculator/). If you go in person, ask to borrow a loupe and look at the diamond yourself for inclusions. They estimated VS2, ask them what inclusions they found to warrant that grade and have them help you see them in the stone too.

It's more common to find a "way down the alphabet" old european cut than a fancy yellow so that's probably what you've got.

I hesitate when diamonds are estimated to be slightly over certain important carat weights because that's an important value marker. If the store is wrong and it's under one carat, you could be overpaying.

Without knowing more about the center stone it's hard to find comps but, here are some lowish-on-the-color-scale, 1+ carat OECs as food for thought:
http://www.jewelsbygrace.com/diamonds/1-05ct-old-european-cut-diamond-gia-m-vs1
http://www.jewelsbygrace.com/diamonds/1-10ct-old-european-cut-diamond-gia-l-si1
http://www.jewelsbygrace.com/diamonds/1-24ct-transitional-cut-diamond-gia-l-vs1

I'd also reconsider wearing this ring with your band if the center stone has a very thin girdle - common for OECs; they can chip easily so pairing it with a diamond band could invite problems.

Otherwise, I do think it's a pretty stone! Just make sure that you've got as much info as possible to determine value and try to make a smart buy : )

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Capes tend to be less expensive right now because they are sort of in an undesirable range from what I understand. Diamonds by Lauren sells them, and I first read about them there.

Bianca

Rough_Rock
Premium
thank you! for your help.. oh this gives me a headache, I feel so vulnerable to a poor decision. I had studied up on the 4c's for a normal white stone. Maybe I should just walk away if I'm so on the fence about the yellow. It is a really beautiful ring but... I was looking for white, this one just kind captured me when it got slipped on my finger in the sea of others. .. They did say if I really didn't want the yellow stone that they would look through their inventory of other white stones to put in its place and let me see .. maybe that would be better.. or just walk away and hope another one crops up that gives me the same warm fuzzies. .. I just don't understand this yellow enough to feel good about it

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It sounds like they were trying to tell you it is a light fancy yellow?

They need to be able to back that up with a reputable report.

Bianca

Rough_Rock
Premium
It sounds like they were trying to tell you it is a light fancy yellow?

They need to be able to back that up with a reputable report.
just got off the phone with them.. they do not have a report, said they had just this week acquired from an estate. They were basing this on their in house appraisal. I'm more confused now than I was.. yesterday they confirmed it was a fancy yellow when the sales clerk double checked.. today he said without the GIA report (or something to that effect) they couldn't say 100% .. then he looked up what he said comparable diamond that was not considered 'fancy yellow' but what was in the low M-N category and told me the wholesale value for the stone alone as vs2 was 4800 wholesale.. well that is not what I am getting when I do the diamond search on here so I do not know what to think.. b/c I can tell you that anyone in this area would tell you these would be THE people to see for estate jewelry. pfft. maybe I just live with the band and spend this diamond money on something else that I know more about! how the heck do you know who to trust!?

Diamondz1

Shiny_Rock
Awe, I'm sorry - but very glad you did your own diligence! I linked a 1.05ct M-VS1 (with a GIA report) that's listed for $3,495; you can typically do better through an online retailer vs. brick and mortar so that might account for part of the price difference you're seeing.

If you're in the market for antique jewelry, some trustworthy online vendors include Jewels by Grace, Love Affair Diamonds, and Old World Diamonds.

If you prefer to shop in person, you can at least use those sites to compare prices when something catches your eye in the future.

Bianca

Rough_Rock
Premium
They do have an elaborate store in the ritziest part of town of a large city .. so I am SURE there is markup.. I do not have a problem with online buying.. i honestly want the best bang for my buck, I don't need to say this ring came form > YADDA YADDA for prestige LOL. Good news is I now KNOW what looks best to my taste with this ring so I am better able to gage a purchase online if it comes to it. I will go look there too.. Thank you!

Diamondz1

Shiny_Rock
The silver lining! I like it! :))

Bianca

Rough_Rock
Premium
If cape colored is your goal I like this one. I think they would take 5500

http://m.ebay.com/itm/192090811526?_mwBanner=1
Hi, and thank you for the link, no.. yellow was never my goal, I just really loved that ring when I tried it on for size with my band and knew nothing about them.. and while I thought it was beautiful I think I would be happier in the long run with a regular white. There are just too many questions around it. .. Now to find a three stone vintage ring in my price range that has simalar look.. that is my quest. :)

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What's your budget?

Bianca

Rough_Rock
Premium
I'd like to keep it under 8.. I don't need perfect clarity .. just want it eye clean and sparkly. In fact I don't really like the totally colorless ones they look TOO perfect, is that nuts? somewhere btw g all the way down to MAYBE j

Diamondz1

Shiny_Rock
that dog is TOO CUTE! Is it yours?

Whitewave's bulldog avatar? You threw me off for a second. I was like, "Did I post a picture of my dog?" :razz: That bully is a cutie!

Niel is great at sourcing cool pieces on eBay. I don't know of anything off-hand but I'll shout it out if I come across anything!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results