shape
carat
color
clarity

need advice about earring diamond

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

johnlee

Rough_Rock
Hi all,
I want to buy a pair of diamond for earring but I don''t know what cut grade + color and clarity are good for price but still remain in good earring quality
1.gif
I am a poor guy
rolleyes.gif
rolleyes.gif

Please give me advice
thanks

Giangi

Ideal_Rock
As Rich suggested, get a nice pair of SI 2 or I 1s... Inclusions won't be noticeable to the casual observer and the stone will be still sparkly and nice looking to the naked eye... Whiteflash.com and DirtCheapDiamonds.com have some samples with pricings...

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hi,

Does the girl your purchasing these for usually have her hair over her ears? If not, then don't go below SI2 and be sure the stones are nice and white (like I or better). The other day, there was a woman, who worked in of places in a jewelery store, who had THE WORST diamond earrings imaginable. . .they looked so included, it was like mold was growing in them! They looked yellow too. Even though most people think you can't see the inclusions on lower grades, you can if anyone looks for more than a second and if hair isn't slightly covering one's ears, you're more inclined to glance a few times!

Michelle

Giangi

Ideal_Rock
Hi Michelle... I'm sorry, but I have to disagree with you... P 1 (or I 1) is defined by HRD as "Internal characteristic(s) which can hardly be found with the naked eye through the crown side of the diamond" and is most suitable for earrings, as, if correctly graded, the inclusions won't be noticeable to the observer (under normal conditions). That said, if you've seen a pair of earrings that looked that bad, they possibly were I 2 or I 3... Most probably she bought them as I 1, though...
2.gif
1.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
For earrings you can go high or low..it really depends on your idea of quality and what is acceptable to you or the person wearing them. Our earrings are G, VS2 and I love the fact that they are higher quality than most earrings (plus my ring is a G VS1 so its a match!) and they have a great cut for earrings. As the others noticed, earrings are usually around H/I SI2/I1 for the general buying public. If it were me buying again or upgrading, I would go G/H and SI1/SI2 as the LOWEST. I'd really prefer VS2 just because now I am spoiled!

But try to get a good earring 'cut'. Sometimes earring stones are not the best cuts because people don't really think to check that..its just an earring. But the cut can make a huge difference. My earrings now vs my old ones with too large table and too large depth look very different, and much better. Stay away from large table, large depth combos (e.g. table 63%, depth 65%) as you will lose alot of light out the bottom, and also the stone will look smaller than it is due to some of the carat weight being carried in the depth of the stone.

If you are looking online, places do carry the H/I SI2/I1 quality but many times they also carry a G/H VS quality as well. So you should be able to find what you are looking for, regardless of color/clarity. Ask some Q's about the cut. If you are on a tight budget, H/I SI2 would be your best bet IMO.

Just don't go to Macys or the like! They don't grade their diamonds, so half the time you end up with a J colored stone and I1-I2 clarity!! John Q Public doesn't know any better.

Good luck!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results