shape
carat
color
clarity

Need a Second Mortgage!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

bar01

Brilliant_Rock
Wowser! ....click link below

Rare 2ct Ruby

Lets see - I can get a 10 year home equity loan, and get a yearly tax deduction on the interest --- never mind....I got to stop looking at this site!

Text below from the comments to this Ruby....

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The perfect ruby comes around once in a lifetime. This gem is an intense pure rich red with no pink or purple modifiers. Incredible. This is one that leaves us speechless. This amazing photograph was taken by renowned gem photographer, Tino Hammid. The actual appearance of this gem is richer than the actual photo shows.

Interestingly, this gem has been the subject of intense gemological research as this gem holds certain gemological mysteries that even the greatest gemological minds of our century cannot solve. Here are the opinions of four of the leading laboratories in the trade and all three have issued certificates reflecting their findings. In brief, here they are; ------------------------------------------------------------------------------- (GIA) Gemological Institute of America STATUS: NATURAL UNHEATED RUBY None other than Robert Crowningshield himself, one of the great gemologists of the 20th century has the distinction of reviewing this gem twice over the last few years and as recently as early 2004. His research, along with his teams review has concluded that this gem is indeed a natural unheated ruby. ------------------------------------------------------------------------------- American Gem Trade Association Laboratories (AGTA) STATUS: NATURAL "ENHANCED BY HEAT" RUBY After 3 reviews over 4 months, the AGTA team concluded that the gem is "most probably" a heated gemstone that underwent low level heating treatments. The issue is that because the gem is nearly "flawless," they could not determine this information easily and further delved into the molecular structure of the material using high level technologies to make this determination. ------------------------------------------------------------------------------- American Gemological Laboratories (AGL) STATUS: NATURAL WITH "NO SIGNIFICANT EVIDENCE OF HEAT TREATMENT" Cap Beesley intelligently hedged his findings regarding this gem by stating that while he believed the gem to a natural unheated gem, he could not state that unequivocally without using the word "significant." ------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Gubelin Laboratories: STATUS: UNDETERMINED The gem spent the better part of 3 months in Switzerland undergoing a series of tests under the auspices of a group of respected research gem scientists working for this world renowned laboratory. The gem underwent intensive structural and molecular analysis and the conclusion was that the lab could not determine this gems enhancement status with a reasonable degree of certainty. Therefore they decided not to publish a certificate for this gem at all. ------------------------------------------------------------------------------- The one thing that all who have seen this ruby agree on is that it is indeed a magnificent world class natural ruby! Under direct light, the photo on CherryPicked is an accurate representation of what the gem appears like. Under diffused lighting the gem appears darker than this photo...I call the pleasure of owning a gem like this "a transitional" gem experience. Which means that this gems personality changes in different light environments though it thrives best in direct light. The gem is certainly of African origin and based on our experience in seeing this and similar material, remains one of the finest "internally flawless" rubies to cross our desks in many years, regardless of origin.

Mayacamas

Rough_Rock
Merely chump change..................

Diamonds4Me

Brilliant_Rock
You''re in luck!!! It just so happens that I''m a loan officer.
31.gif
9.gif
9.gif

cflutist

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If its any consolation, its cheaper than the 5 ct unheated Burmese sapphire on the Pala site.

elmo

Brilliant_Rock
Part of the reason would be the incredibly high markup applied by the time it gets to the cherrypicked website? The reason I say this is that on the same page as this ruby is a pair of supposedly Burmese "red" spinel at $9000 that were only $3000 a few months ago on the AJS website and non-Burma (Vietnamese or Tanzanian I think).

p.s. cflutist, I've seen that 5 carat Burma saph in person, it is wonderful. In a group of a dozen or more sapphires it is like best-of-show, it almost stands up and says "pick me, pick me"!

bar01

Brilliant_Rock
Elmo-

My post was just for fun. It looks like a one of a kind piece - very stunning. I love rubies and Sapphires and it is fun to drool over pieces like this - even though I can't afford them

I hope no one was thinking I was trying to say that cherrypicked is over priced by posting that link.

Not to defend them – but as some of you may know - I got my Sapphire from Cherypicked, it is a fine, rare piece that was sold to me at a fair price (as verified by independent appraisal) and my own knowledge. In fact – it was cheaper than some of the well known PS vendors I contacted told me they could get (using my size and specs) from their suppliers - if they could find it at all. So I got the Sapphire from Cherry– and selected Whiteflash to provide the setting and side diamonds. All I can say as a consumer is that I was very satisfied with buying from them (cherry and of course whiteflash) and would recommend them to others.

MJO

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Gentlemen,

I have just joined this discussion group and would like to add my 2 cents. I have purchased and listed items for sale at Cherrypicked.com. I have also visited them in NYC and can tell you I think they are very professional and have stunning stones. Richard Orbach is very nice and pleasent to deal with.

I am a collector and have purchased from a variety of sources. I have purchased some great stones very cheap (IMO) and paid much more than I should have for others I really wanted. I have also been ripped off by some and filed criminal charges against them. This doesn''t do very much good as they deny everything. In the end you must deal with a reputable source for your goods or take a big chance. Even reputable dealers can make mistakes or be mislead themselves, only the best make good on their promises. CherryPicked.com is one of those dealers.

Sincerely,
MJO

elmo

Brilliant_Rock
I wanted to make clear that my remark was limited to that one case I mentioned. I saw that when I went over to look at Bar's ruby (nice stone) and was surprised to run into something familiar. In reality, I get the idea that origin determination is something of a black art, and buy low (particularly in Thailand) + sell high is a part of how the business works. I've seen several folks say positive things about Cherrypicked, and a reputable dealer who makes good on their promises is almost priceless
1.gif

MJO

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Helllo Elmo,

Buying low and selling high is what everyone wants to do. That''s what business and free enterprise is all about . No one twists my arm but me to buy something.

CherryPicked.com is a business (like alot of other businesses) that sell goods on consignment for clients and gets a percentage of the sales as a commissoon. Alot of the price has to do with what the owner of the stone wants for it. CherryPicked, as most sellers, would like to be able to get the goods cheaper so they can sell it cheaper and still make a profit. That profit is what pays the bills of the site and of the family of the owner. I expect to pay for that as long as it is reasonable (As you can probubly tell, I''m an accountant).

I do have to say that CherryPicked only take goods for sale that are of a higher quality. Some (IMO) are over priced but the majority are competative for the quality.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results