shape
carat
color
clarity

Need a new antique piece of jewelry!

emeraldhunter

Rough_Rock
I try to buy my wife a piece of jewelry after she gives birth to a child. We just had a child, and I don't know where to begin my search. I am interested in antique jewelry and colored stones. Here are two pieces that I bought in the past:

2015-11-07_10_0.jpg

2015-11-07_10.jpg

I bought both of these pieces off Ebay, and I used search terms like "antique emerald ring" "vintage emerald ring" or "art deco emerald ring". I used the same descriptors when searching for diamond earrings.
I have a budget of 500 to 1500. Here are my three questions:
Now that she has an emerald ring and diamond earrings, what is the next cool thing for me to look for?
Would you call the above two pieces art nouveau, and is there a good place to find more jewelry this style?
Where is the best place to search vintage and antique jewelry?

Hera

Ideal_Rock
The second one is a retro era (1940's) piece of jewelry. The first one could be the same era but I would need to see the diamonds to confirm; it could be much more modern than that.

pearaffair

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If I were you, I would get her a necklace from jewelsbygrace.com. Congrats on your new child!

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hera|1447197198|3947984 said:
The second one is a retro era (1940's) piece of jewelry. The first one could be the same era but I would need to see the diamonds to confirm; it could be much more modern than that.

Ditto Hera. The earrings, in particular, have a 40-50-s look to them.

I'd also second pearaffair - get a diamond necklace, something she can wear every day. Either a solitaire pendant or a diamonds-by-the-yard (DBTY) necklace are basics that she can wear every day and for many years to come, and both are within your budget. Any of the PS vendors can help you with this.

Of these two options, the solitaire pendant would be my preference just because it'll be less susceptible to damage should a toddler happen to grab it! Brian Gavin offers a beautiful bezel setting, the "Barbara," that's very popular here and that would also be indestructable. BGD can also help you find a stunning diamond for that setting. Be sure to talk to them about using a strong, child-proof chain!

DBTY chains are lovely and can also be wardrobe staples. I think they might be more easily damaged, although I haven't heard of anyone having problems with their DBTY chains. Whiteflash offers a seven-station, .50 DBTY necklace for $1300. ID Jewelry offers a 1 ctw DBTY necklace for about the same price - each diamond is about twice as large and the diamonds are spaced more closely at the front of the necklace, with no diamonds at the back.

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

emeraldhunter

Rough_Rock
Thank you for all of the input! I have considered every suggestion.

The practical side of me likes the Brian Gavin, "Barbara." Besides her wedding band, it would become her most wearable piece of jewelry. The price

The impractical side of me wants to get something more like
http://www.ebay.com/itm/111119684725?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Is there a way to get a better date on the ring from the first post? Could i post close up pictures? I was told the diamonds were old european cut by a jeweler not involved in the transaction.

Thank you!

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
emeraldhunter|1447565334|3949828 said:
Thank you for all of the input! I have considered every suggestion.

Is there a way to get a better date on the ring from the first post? Could i post close up pictures? I was told the diamonds were old european cut by a jeweler not involved in the transaction.

Close-up photos of the larger diamonds, showing the facet pattern, might help. I'm by no means an expert when it comes to antique jewelry. Judging from the picture you've posted, the ring looks very "golden age of cinema" to me... 30's and 40's? But I could be way off, and it could be a newer ring made to look older, or even a newer ring made with older diamonds.

emeraldhunter|1447565334|3949828 said:
The practical side of me likes the Brian Gavin, "Barbara." Besides her wedding band, it would become her most wearable piece of jewelry. The price

The impractical side of me wants to get something more like
http://www.ebay.com/itm/111119684725?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Well... you know your wife better than we do... and you are hoping to get something that she will enjoy, right? ;-)

emeraldhunter

Rough_Rock
VRBeauty|1447609559|3949962 said:
Well... you know your wife better than we do... and you are hoping to get something that she will enjoy, right? ;-)

That is the best piece of advice so far.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results