shape
carat
color
clarity

Need a little help...Which one???

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

sf94123

Rough_Rock
I am a beginner
19.gif
trying to make the right choice on a diamond.

Any suggestions on which one would you chose?
Diamond #1
Price: $36,760.00
Report: GIA
Shape: Round Ideal Cut
Carat: 2.0
Color: D
Clarity: VS1
Depth: 61.9%
Table: 57%
Crown Angle: 35.0
Crown %: 15.0
Pavilion Angle: 40.6
Pavilion %: 42.5
Girdle: Medium to slightly thick
Polish: Excellent
Symmetry: Excellent
Culet: None
Fluorescence: None
Measurements: 8.00-8.05X4.97
HCA: 1.0 (EX,EX,EX,VG)
http://www.jamesallen.com/diamond.asp?b=16&a=12&c=77&cid=131&item=956319
Diamond #2
Price: $35,000.00
Carat: 2.00
Color: G
Depth: 61.2%
Table: 57%
Crown Angle: 33.5
Crown %: 14.5
Pavilion Angle: 40.6
Pavilion %: 42.5
Girdle: Slightly Thick to Thick
Polish: Very Good
Symmetry: Very Good
Measurements: 8.05-8.09X4.94
HCA: 0.8 (EX,EX,EX,VG)
http://www.jamesallen.com/diamond.asp?b=16&a=12&c=77&cid=131&item=828359
Diamond #3
Price: $33930.00
Carat: 2.01
Color: D
Depth: 60.3%
Table: 61.0%
Crown Angle: 33.0
Crown %: 12.5
Pavilion Angle: 40.8
Pavilion %: 43.0
Girdle: Medium to Thick, Faceted
Polish: Excellent
Symmetry: Very Good
Measurements: 8.05-8.10X4.87
HCA 1.8(VG,EX,VG,EX)
http://www.jamesallen.com/diamond.asp?b=16&a=12&c=77&cid=131&item=745420

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hi, how exciting!

I like your first pick the best, except, it's facing up a good bit smaller that it should. If you're going for two carats, you might as well get all you can out of it! Also, GIA rounds out some of their numbers, so it's harder to tell exactly what we're looking at without a Sarin report.

I found one that's promising, it faces up a bit bigger, but, not sure if you would consider SI 1 clarity (it will save you money!). If eyeclean, it could possibly be a winner. You'd need to ask for the grading report.

http://www.jamesallen.com/diamond.asp?cid=131&item=770956

Here's a very yummy one.
18.gif
You will save on this one as it's from their Expert Selection. I'd definitely check this one out.
2.gif

http://www.whiteflash.com/round_ideal_cut/Round-Ideal-Cut-cut-diamond-69812.htm#

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ellen is right...a 2 ct. stone should have a diameter of about 8.2mm. You''re looking at stones that face up smaller. I just wouldn''t pay the premium for 2 cts. if the stone was going to look smaller. I like the WF stone she posted and I''ll also do a quick check and see if there are others.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/26/2006 4:26:22 PM
Author: Ellen
I will also add this one, although personally, you probably couldn''t tell the difference between the ES I posted and this one. However, WF is running a sale through Nov., where you get 5% back towards the setting. Either one would be stunning.

http://www.whiteflash.com/hearts_arrows/A-Cut-Above-H-A-cut-diamond-70656.htm
Ooh, I like this one a lot! I think I accidentally set the search on D-F. This stone is definitely better than the JA G VS1.

sf, the girdle needs to be thin, medium, or slightly thick. When you get into thick girdles, you''re losing diameter because some of the weight is going to the thick girdle. I also think it may throw off the HCA scores. I think those are based on a thin or mediaum girdle.

starryeyed

Ideal_Rock
Hi SF. In addition to my opinion, I just want to point out a few discrepancies in your list:

Diamond #1 - The James Allen description says the color is D, but when you check the grading report, GIA specifies an E. You may want to check with JA on this - maybe the price might be less. That would be a bonus! I like this diamond because it is an ideal cut with EX/EX and the HCA score is great.

Diamond #2 - You write that this diamond is a G, but the James Allen link points to a D. Even though this diamond is an ideal cut, it is a VG/VG. The HCA score is great, but I personally would prefer EX/EX for a diamond of this color/clarity quality.

Diamond #3 - This diamond is a "Premium" cut. The table is 61%, which is a little larger than an Ideal cut stone. It still performs well on the HCA and may appear larger than 2 carats because of the table size.

If Diamond #1''s price is less, I would choose this one. I don''t think you''d be able to tell the difference between a D and an E.

sf94123

Rough_Rock
Thank you all for the assistance and I appreciate the tips.

I guess I still need to do a little more research.

Please continue to relpy with any suggestions.

starryeyed

Ideal_Rock
Hi SF. I just realized that we haven''t officially WELCOMED you!! Glad you trust us to share in your diamond selection! It looks like you have done a great job learning about diamonds and using the tools on this site, like the HCA.

Personally I am drooling over the stones you selected! You are committing a huge chunk of change and we all want to make sure you get the best deal on the most beautiful stone. From the stones you listed, it looks like you might be looking at D''s only? (I know there were a few typos.) Are you willing to look at E''s and F''s?

We just went through the same process with similar specs as you. We looked at E-G, VS, Ideal cuts, 2 carat minimum. We actually wound up going to NYC and visiting the James Allen-affiliated office. We wound up with an F, which was hardly discernable from a D or E. Here''s a link to a JA diamond that I wanted to see, but was a little out of our price range. It looks like it may be within yours:

2.37 carat F VS1, ID/ID, HCA 1.8 for $35,920

Please do talk to JA though about Diamond #1. They are reputable folks and I''m sure the error wasn''t intentional. I want you to get a discount!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results