shape
carat
color
clarity

Need a little help deciding...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Jason77

Rough_Rock
I am shopping for a diamond for an engagement ring. I know I want the following:

Princess cut
GIA or AGS
SI1-SI2 (Eye Clean)
F-H
Budget around $3000

In this price range, it appears that I can get a 1 ct stone with an average cut, or I can get a .7 ct stone with an ideal cut (Whiteflash ACA). Any opinions on which way I should go? I would be especially interested to hear opinions from women who have erings around this size. Thanks.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Does WF have any ES stones? It will not be a super duper ideal cut but it''ll still be very well cut and a dazzler.

milton333

Brilliant_Rock
Here is a .70 F, VS1 for $3,100, an expert selection from WF. You're right, not much selection still available in a princess cut for your budget, that's the only one I found at WF, but it does have great color and clarity.

Here's an x-factor for under your stated budget, .74 carat, again I could not find much selection in your price range (maybe because it's this close to the holidays). The x-factor is a "modern take on the princess cut," with a similar faceting pattern, but clipped corners.

A .735 princess, G VS2 for about $3k.

A similar look is a square brilliant cut, there's one for $3104 .813 E SI1, also a clipped-corner square cut with a faceting pattern similar to the princess.

The above are all hand-selected by reputable vendors, so great stones. The ones below are are, IMHO, somewhat more of a crap shoot, but may be worth investigating.

Here's a .74, F VS1 princess in your price point. It's higher color and clarity than you asked for, but, again, it's slim pickings out there for princesses.

This is a .78, D VS2, you'll need to request a picture of it.

F, VS1, .77, you'll need to ask for pic.

.79 F, VVS2

I would not get anything without a picture. Symmetry issues really bother me with a princess, so you'd want to see the diamond before buying. Garry also recommends being careful with inclusions on a princess, because they can more easily be seen from the side view, so SI2 may not be desirable in a princess.

There are several "signature ideal" princesses on Blue Nile that you might search for, also in the .7-.8 range and in your budget, that have very small pictures and more extensive analyses of the stones. I don't think I'd do just any princess off Blue Nile, though, because you can't get a pic of the stone.

Jason77

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the links! I will check them out. I was really more concerned with whether I should go with better cut or bigger size within my budget. ie, would the typical woman prefer a 1 ct ring with average sparkle, or a .7 ct ring with excellent sparkle, brightness, etc. By looking at the diamonds you suggested, it seems that you would prefer cut quality over size...

milton333

Brilliant_Rock
Also, since you're asking for opinions, I would not get a princess, I'd get a round. More spread for your buck, classic, easier to shop for because there are better-defined standards for optical performance (and you can run the HCA on potential candidates). There seems to be more of a selection available in your price point. In the size princess you're talking about, it will face up about the same size as a .50 carat round. The .7-ish princess will have a diameter of just under 5 mm. This D, SI1, expert selection round will face up at almost 6 mm, or about 20% larger than the princess, at the same price. Since you asked. If your gf absolutely must have a princess, you're locked in, but with budgetary considerations, I just thought I'd toss that out there.

milton333

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 12/12/2007 12:04:57 PM
Author: Jason77
Thanks for the links! I will check them out. I was really more concerned with whether I should go with better cut or bigger size within my budget. ie, would the typical woman prefer a 1 ct ring with average sparkle, or a .7 ct ring with excellent sparkle, brightness, etc. By looking at the diamonds you suggested, it seems that you would prefer cut quality over size...

Especially in the shape you''re looking at, a princess, I think you have to maximize the cut. Poorly cut princesses look awful, IMHO worse than a less-than-ideal round. I think a princess, because of the symmetry of the facets, has to be close to ideal or it''s a disaster, so, yes, I''d prefer cut over size. "Cut is king" in general - my engagement diamond, purchased when we were just 19 eons ago, is smaller but is a killer cut - this thing throws off fire when I''m walking my dog. At night. In the dark. From just the ambient light of streetlights. It''s so visually pleasing that I''d rather have it than a larger, poorly cut stone. Also, because it throws off light in a sort of halo around it, it does appear bigger than a poorer-cut stone would.

Jason77

Rough_Rock
Thanks. That is what I was looking for. If it were up to me I would be getting a round cut, but she has made it very clear that she wants a princess.

milton333

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 12/12/2007 12:19:58 PM
Author: Jason77
Thanks. That is what I was looking for. If it were up to me I would be getting a round cut, but she has made it very clear that she wants a princess.

So long as she understands it will be smaller than a comparable round . . . I''ve had girl friends who are very surprised by this (i.e., surprised to realize that carat size is weight, and does not equal spread). Also, not sure what your budget is for a setting, but see if you can get something that tapers in as it approaches the stone, it will make the stone look larger.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results