shape
carat
color
clarity

Need 2nd (and 3rd) Opinions

smarshall21

Rough_Rock
Looking for a Princess Cut diamond in the 5-6k range. I'm more focused on diamond quality than size.
I've been searching everywhere online and just ran across this today.

http://www.b2cjewels.com/dd-2969557-0.81-carat-Princess-diamond-D-color-IF-Clarity.aspx?sku=2969557&utm_source=pricescope.com&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=pricescope.com

Ran a query with GIA to get the rest of the info (b2c didn't include girdle info) and it revealed "minor details of polish" even though the polish grade is excellent
https://myapps.gia.edu/ReportCheckPortal/getReportData.do?&reportno=2141545805&weight=.81

Judging from the Princess Cut measurement charts I've seen on pricescope I'm wondering - what's the catch?
Am I miss judging this diamond or is it the quality I think it is?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Christina...

Ideal_Rock
The report list 'minor detail of polish' as an explanation as to why it didn't receive a flawless grading. Internally at 10x magnification there are no inclusions but at the same magnification they are noting that the polish is not flawless, hence the missed flawless grade and why it received IF. No worries. =)

smarshall21

Rough_Rock
Thanks Christina.
I'm less concerned about the minor polish details than I am about the overall quality of the diamond (table, depth, girdle, ratios etc etc).
Are these measurements of good enough quality to ensure I'm buying a quality stone?
Remember, I'm less concerned about size than I am about quality.

Thanks again

Christina...

Ideal_Rock
I really wish that I could answer that for you, but to do so I would need more information than you have right now. I can tell you that the table and depth % look good and the overall measurements look good. It certainly looks like a diamond worth more investigating. You really need an ASET image to determine it's light performance and I'm not sure the vendor that you're using will provide those. Because many vendors share lists it's possible that you could have another vendor such as Yukietiel at ID Jewelry call in this same stone for you. He can evaluate it for you and provide ASET images, he will also beat any competitors pricing. =)

TitanCi

Brilliant_Rock
I like the depth and table numbers. Is there a reason why you want D and IF? :wavey:

smarshall21

Rough_Rock
Just going for top quality across the board.
Def putting a premium on cut (hence the 68% table) but D and IF is why I was so confused.
I'm happy with VVS and above so I felt I reaaaly lucked out with IF.

I've found no diamonds in this range with those table/depth measurements, D color AND IF. At that price I typically see VS1 at best so I was wondering if this was REALLY a quality cut?

IE: If I'm getting better color/clarity than other sites and the measurements look good according to the chart I've seen (https://www.pricescope.com/wiki/diamonds/diamond-grading-chart-princess) what's the catch???

TitanCi

Brilliant_Rock
smarshall21|1337463531|3199322 said:
Just going for top quality across the board.
Def putting a premium on cut (hence the 68% table) but D and IF is why I was so confused.
I'm happy with VVS and above so I felt I reaaaly lucked out with IF.

I've found no diamonds in this range with those table/depth measurements, D color AND IF. At that price I typically see VS1 at best so I was wondering if this was REALLY a quality cut?

IE: If I'm getting better color/clarity than other sites and the measurements look good according to the chart I've seen (https://www.pricescope.com/wiki/diamonds/diamond-grading-chart-princess) what's the catch???

ahhhh... I get your drift now. I thought you were going for the good ish only in terms of color and clarity. LOL! Well to my understanding, and please correct me if I am wrong, princesses are sometimes discounted the most, right? Perhaps you're just getting a great deal?!

I am curious to know now, too!!!!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
There is no possible way to choose a princess cut stone without magnified images of the stone and an ASET image would be great, too. Unless you plan to send stones to an appraiser or to yourself to check out, this just isn't going to work.

I will also have to ask you, would your girlfriend prefer a smaller diamond that is D IF or a larger stone that looks almost the same but F VS2?

TitanCi

Brilliant_Rock
I vote she'll like a larger one that's F VS. :bigsmile:

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
TitanCi|1337467892|3199370 said:

Yes, if you do a poll of women on here, I can promise you 99 out of 100 (or better) would choose the larger and still high quality stone!

There are vendors who show magnified images and ASET images and some sell AGS Ideal cut princess stones, too. I would recommend looking at ones that give you enough info to actually order a stone.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
diamondseeker2006|1337468227|3199372 said:
TitanCi|1337467892|3199370 said:

Yes, if you do a poll of women on here, I can promise you 99 out of 100 (or better) would choose the larger and still high quality stone!

There are vendors who show magnified images and ASET images and some sell AGS Ideal cut princess stones, too. I would recommend looking at ones that give you enough info to actually order a stone.

Yup. Almost no one asks you "what clarity and color is your diamond" they always ask you "how big is it" I'd go for G SI1 (princesses are great at hiding inclusions and if you can't see it why pay for it). But F VS2 would be much better than D IF.

smarshall21

Rough_Rock
So I see goodoldgold and whiteflash have ASET images.
Anyone else?

TitanCi

Brilliant_Rock
Most vendors will supply it to you if you ask.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results