shape
carat
color
clarity

Natural Fracture in Ceylon Sapphire--Spreading??

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hello:

I have a question or two about the my 3+ carat ceylon sapphire stone, which is set in a ring. When I bought the ring, I was informed about the natural inclusion (hope I am using the correct terminology), but it was set under a claw and, at the time, was barely perceptable to me. I have had the ring almost three years now and wear it on occasion.

However upon recent inspection, it seems to me that the inclusion is "larger" and I wondered at the likelihood of it increasing in size.
8.gif
Although I cannot recall injuring my ring, it could be that I simply cannot remember.

Is it probable that the fracture is spreading? I am worried about wearing the ring and increasing accidental damage.
(sorry don''t own a digital camera or I''d send a photo..)

Any input would be appreciated here.

Cheers

Sharon

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Not that it is not possible to damage a stone along an exiting fracture - but that would be a larger one to start with, not something a prong can hide. I doubt that wearing the ring can break the sapphire. But it would not be the first gem to have been sold with some temporary fracture filling to make a surface breaking inclusion invisible... Have you ever cleaned at high temperature (with steam or hot water)?

On the other hand, it could be that placing a prong over the fracture did chip it further and for some reason it shows only now.

These would be the two things I would be looking for, but without ring at hand I hvae no way to tell
8.gif

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Thanks for your reply Ana. I do not believe the fracture was treated/filled--as this info. would have to been disclosed to me and although I am over 40 (memory lapses!!
snore.gif
) I would have inquired after this fact.

Certainly I may be inaccurate as to the origianl size of the fracture--but I do recall the propriator having to point it out to me, as I didn't detect it while trying the ring on.
Anyway, if I can get my handy neighbours to take some pics of my ring I'll post them.

thanks again

slb

Michael_E

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
canuk-gal,
I doubt that the fracture is getting larger, even if you've tapped it really hard. Lots of sapphires have small fractures and "healed fractures" when you get the rough stones. In order to get the largest gem possible from a piece of rough, you are often forced to leave a small remnant of the fracture in the stone. You always try to orient the fracture vertically, so that reflections off of it don't show up at normal viewing angles. Once you become aware of this imperfection it may appear to be getting bigger, simply because you're focusing on it and viewing it from a more sideways angle, where it looks bigger because you're looking at it from just the wrong vantage point. Sort of like looking at a sheet of paper from the front or at the edge. Sapphire is VERY tough and durable, I seriously doubt that you have any problem.

mogok

Shiny_Rock
Hello,
I agree with Ana and Richard. But without to be able to inspect the stone it is difficult for me to tell you more.
All the best,

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Thank ya'll for the feedback. I tried multiple times to post pics in multiple formats (as did my sister) but to no avail. Anyway.
8.gif

Cheers

Sharon

quaeritur

Brilliant_Rock
Posting this pic for Sharon...

sapphringPS.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results