shape
carat
color
clarity

Natural blue topaz asscher from Bespoke

NKOTB

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My first asscher in this journey arrived today. It's 4.9 ct, 9 mm. When I first bought it, I was thinking honkin' cocktail ring. It may be too big/deep for this purpose, but it ain't goin' back! :bigsmile: I have other setting projects I'd like to start with in the new year, but I will be pulling this stone out to gaze at in the interim.

2011_09_30 041.jpg

2011_09_30 045.jpg

2011_09_30 046.jpg

2011_09_30 048.jpg

NKOTB

Ideal_Rock
Premium
A few more pics...

2011_09_30 049.jpg

2011_09_30 053.jpg

2011_09_30 054.jpg

2011_09_30 062.jpg

0-0-0

Brilliant_Rock
Wow, looks like it's glowing in some of the shots.

kelpie

Ideal_Rock
It looks like it has an internal light source! Don't think it's too big for a ring AT ALL but my asscher is 11mm. :naughty:

lavatea

Brilliant_Rock
Beautiful! I'm saving up for Doug to cut me a baby brother for this stone. As long as my child cooperates and comes close to his due date. :wink2:

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Strangely I don't think it's too big for a ring but admittedly can't see the profile so it may be 10 feet high for all I know! The colour is very lovely and the cut great. If you do set it, would it be in white or yellow gold?

I've found that w/gold makes this colour gem appear cold and icy looking but I don't think I've tried yellow gold so not sure which is better! I'll be interested to know what you do.

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
Nice nice topaz! I don't think it's too big for a ring either. It would be stunning! Doug's website makes me drool every time I go there.

NKOTB

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks, all! I will probably end up going with a ring. I have a large aqua that I set in white gold. I had considered not rhodium plating it, so it would look a little warmer, without going with yellow gold (I never used to like yellow gold, though have been warming up to it lately). Everyone convinced me otherwise, so I ended up with rhodium plating, but maybe I could try the warm white gold this time?

Although some of the "glow" is my flash reflecting off the stone, it is certainly a very bright stone, and looks amazing in all lighting.

Kelpie, have you set your 11 mm stone? I will search for a thread in case I missed it or it was before my time on PS. I have fairly small fingers, too (wedding ring 4.5, but more like 5.25 for a RHR).

Lavatea, let's hope that little one cooperates! I'll keep my fingers crossed for you. :)

mariedtiger

Brilliant_Rock
That is a heirloom kind of stone. I saw that on Doug's site and I'm so glad you got it so I can see pictures. I love his natural blues, they are gorgeous. That one must be blinding in sunlight. Congrats, awesome find.

Coco914

Shiny_Rock
Oh my... What a gorgeous topaz!! I have to say, I think of all those I've seen - this has to be my most favorite. The color, the cut, the size...it has such presence! I can't wait to see what you do with it. :D

Aoife

Brilliant_Rock
That's a beautiful stone, and the cutting looks superb. I'm really liking the unplated white gold idea, but I'll look forward to hearing what you decide. :appl:

natsplat

Brilliant_Rock
LOVE it! No way in my opinion is it too big for a ring: it would be a showstopper for all the right reasons! I too like the idea of unplated white gold, and I'd love to see some wickedly pointy prongs around it :Up_to_something:

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree that its not too big! I feel like asschers should really be of a certain size in order to appreciate the faceting. That stone will make one beautiful ring - and your long stately fingers can pull it off even if it is a big ring!

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
Amazing color for a natural topaz! It looks almost like the irradiated ones. I'd probably put it in a silver pendant if it were mine. I love the icy coolness of the color.

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Amazing color and cut! Congratulations!

stargurl78

Ideal_Rock
Stunning asscher NKOTB!!!!!!! Perfect cut and beautiful color :love:

ETA: I think its a fantastic size for a ring!

NKOTB

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks, mariedtiger, I do hope to pass it on to my daughter some day. :)

Thanks coco914, Aiofe, natsplat, minousbijoux, crasu, and stargurl78. jstarfireb, part of me wondered: "would I really know if this one was irradiated or natural?" Probably not, but...This almost looks like an aquamarine. Different in different lighting, and so pretty. I can't say I've really looked at or studied an irradiated blue topaz in person, but...

So, a ring it will be...When it comes closer to the time, I will be asking you to expand on your ideas, natsplat. :Up_to_something:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results