shape
carat
color
clarity

Mysterious weird Broach

Beautiful-disaster

Shiny_Rock
So I promise I have been doing my homework before I come here to take advantage of your wealth of knowledge.... but this one has me stumped. I have run out of terms to google and not even come close.
It’s a super odd looking broach but is extremely intricate in its workings. The metal does not seem precious but it’s super strong (maybe pewter?) and considering it has been knocking about in boxes and dress up junk jewellery it has held up amazingly well.
I attempted to clean it up a bit with a toothbrush and toothpaste (like my grandmother taught me) but got nowhere with it.

I have kept it over the years because it baffles me (not because I think it holds any value).
it’s large - like the size of a pack of cards - like belt buckle size? So I can’t even imagine it being worn..... maybe to secure a scarf?
In your personal opinion is this worth bothering a jeweller with?
where does one go for appraisals on costume jewellery?
It’s super sparkling under lights but I couldn’t work out how to attach a video.

Attachments

• DCE51DF1-6A60-42A0-97EC-1C69FA19A1D8.jpeg
    DCE51DF1-6A60-42A0-97EC-1C69FA19A1D8.jpeg
    128.6 KB · Views: 20
  • 577F6390-CDAE-4084-8483-487DC002A313.jpeg
    577F6390-CDAE-4084-8483-487DC002A313.jpeg
    108.9 KB · Views: 17
  • 8C663112-2D4D-449A-86FB-5C95B7B8649A.jpeg
    8C663112-2D4D-449A-86FB-5C95B7B8649A.jpeg
    144.8 KB · Views: 11

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Is costume jewlery made out of pewter ?
What do you think the sparkles are ?

I think its quite pretty
It could be converted into a hair orniment

Beautiful-disaster

Shiny_Rock
Guessing they are CZ.
I have no idea about the pewter lol - I just couldn’t think of metal that wasn’t an obvious one like brass, gold, silver etc and it reminds me of some of the pewter engraved mugs we had (? Who knows why). It’s spiky - and when I google pic it I get heaps of pictures of sea enemies and sea creatures - lol!
I feel like it’s weird and invaluable and I loved so I had to keep it just for that reason.Which says a lot about me more then anything - lmao

Beautiful-disaster

Shiny_Rock
*****Not valuable and unloved
But thanks auto correct for trying to tell me what I was trying to say

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
*****Not valuable and unloved
But thanks auto correct for trying to tell me what I was trying to say

:(2
Bad auto correct !

Apart from invaluable sentimental value some custume jewlery does have value especially if its vintage and well made and in good condition
there are even places that specialize on restoring costume pieces
Remember Princess Diana, Elizabeth Taylor, Jackie Kennedy and Queen Alexandra were all ultra stylish ladies of their day and all wore costume jewlery

Beautiful-disaster

Shiny_Rock
I actually just sold this piece for $300 To my sister which was designed and made by Vicky Spade of London. She makes one off high end costume jewellery pieces.
it was a gift but way too over the top for me. I think it was around £500 originally.
very pretty though. The pictures don’t capture the incredibly huge stone at the bottom which was a dazzling blue.
So I know it can be worth a fair bit .... I guess I just can’t get over how ugly it is - which is why it’s awesome. Can’t explain it - like an ugly puppy... so ugly it’s cute.

B7DF5039-8496-4057-B96E-B7E34F6D6C97.png 0488938E-4676-475B-B215-79954AFEAB1A.png 83932FD3-D792-4300-8827-B9E771B0D883.png

Attachments

• 5113BC29-7D94-4E61-A84E-271DCACFB90C.png
    5113BC29-7D94-4E61-A84E-271DCACFB90C.png
    303.5 KB · Views: 15

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
I actually just sold this piece for $300 To my sister which was designed and made by Vicky Spade of London. She makes one off high end costume jewellery pieces.
it was a gift but way too over the top for me. I think it was around £500 originally.
very pretty though. The pictures don’t capture the incredibly huge stone at the bottom which was a dazzling blue.
So I know it can be worth a fair bit .... I guess I just can’t get over how ugly it is - which is why it’s awesome. Can’t explain it - like an ugly puppy... so ugly it’s cute.

B7DF5039-8496-4057-B96E-B7E34F6D6C97.png 0488938E-4676-475B-B215-79954AFEAB1A.png 83932FD3-D792-4300-8827-B9E771B0D883.png

I love those colours
Id probably wear that so long as it wasn't too heavy

Beautiful-disaster

Shiny_Rock
I love those colours
Id probably wear that so long as it wasn't too heavy

Yeah - super heavy unfortunately- It sure makes a statement!
I have another one that’s made in leatherwork by some USA designer - much lighter... still not my thing.
Way to fancy for me.

No shortage of faux bling around here

3D346D0E-7764-4C5A-823D-0CC2A78053CA.jpeg

Attachments

• 5AA7FC9A-B509-4C18-A169-E86186E413B4.jpeg
    5AA7FC9A-B509-4C18-A169-E86186E413B4.jpeg
    395.4 KB · Views: 11

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yeah - super heavy unfortunately- It sure makes a statement!
I have another one that’s made in leatherwork by some USA designer - much lighter... still not my thing.
Way to fancy for me.

No shortage of faux bling around here

3D346D0E-7764-4C5A-823D-0CC2A78053CA.jpeg

Who in your family amassed this treasure ?
They must have been very stylish in their day

Beautiful-disaster

Shiny_Rock
Who in your family amassed this treasure ?
They must have been very stylish in their day

The last two necklaces are pretty new and were gifts to me from friends and family overseas. Really wonderful designer pieces but not my cup of tea.
I have a gold *thousand chains* Givenchy necklace that has hundreds of chains down to your belly. It’s impressive - but not real gold as far as I can tell - no marks except for the Givenchy logo. I told myself I could keep that one even though I know I will most likely never wear it.
I can’t find anything like it online to price it anyway and can’t be bothered going in store to get the info.
I didn’t post pics because it’s just Gold - no gems.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
The last two necklaces are pretty new and were gifts to me from friends and family overseas. Really wonderful designer pieces but not my cup of tea.
I have a gold *thousand chains* Givenchy necklace that has hundreds of chains down to your belly. It’s impressive - but not real gold as far as I can tell - no marks except for the Givenchy logo. I told myself I could keep that one even though I know I will most likely never wear it.
I can’t find anything like it online to price it anyway and can’t be bothered going in store to get the info.
I didn’t post pics because it’s just Gold - no gems.

You could post it on the costume jewlery page
It sounds like tons of fun !

kgizo

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Love this brooch! Beautifully detailed and unique. Funny Daisys and Diamonds mentioned Jackie Kennedy cause that’s who I was thinking of too, she wore many fabulous costume pieces including brooches. Since it is heavy, perhaps wearing on a heavier piece of fabric like a blazer or winter coat, a belt or a purse.

Eclectic

Rough_Rock
I don't think the brooch is worth taking to a jeweler. I would guess it is a pot metal and glass. I do agree it would look great on heavier fabrics.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
I really hope the brooch makes a come back into the main stream
my grandma and her sisters all wore very stylish brooches on their coats when they went any where

I used to watch the bold and the beautiful just to look at Stephanie's brooches
saddly its not screened in NZ any longer
downloadfile-227.jpg

Beautiful-disaster

Shiny_Rock
I really hope the brooch makes a come back into the main stream
my grandma and her sisters all wore very stylish brooches on their coats when they went any where

I used to watch the bold and the beautiful just to look at Stephanie's brooches
saddly its not screened in NZ any longer
downloadfile-227.jpg

They are possibly on the comeback! As my daughter collects them to put on her leather jacket. (Much cheaper versions then the jewelled ones we admire) - but still! She bought the little jewelled Cat and Lobster when we were in Portugal. I love that at 15yrs this is what she chosen to spend her money on.
(well that and computer games/pop figures - lol)
She still won’t take on the big spiky thing though. It’s just too large.
it’s not heavy though as it hollow with all the fret work on front and back.. you can see through it.
I do wish I could catch a photo of the sparkle that comes off it as it’s quite extraordinary.
It’s big and the metal is an an ugly colour but the actual detail in the design and the way the stones sparkle make it a treasure.
Also worth noting I can remember seeing this kicking around in old jewellery box’s since I was a child. (We are talking easy 40 yrs here and it was around for a long time before I came along).
It even had some paint on the back from being dumped into kids craft boxes. (Ok so I said I never appreciated it until now right? )
By all means it should be dead and at a minimal it should be all bent out of shape and have at least half the stones missing.... none of which has happened. That’s probably the thing that amazes me about it more then anything.... how incredibly detailed it is and yet incredibly hardy it is.
I will do a sunshine pic today - worth a shot. B887F201-E3C2-459E-9F25-CAFDF5F5F04C.jpeg

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
They are possibly on the comeback! As my daughter collects them to put on her leather jacket. (Much cheaper versions then the jewelled ones we admire) - but still! She bought the little jewelled Cat and Lobster when we were in Portugal. I love that at 15yrs this is what she chosen to spend her money on.
(well that and computer games/pop figures - lol)
She still won’t take on the big spiky thing though. It’s just too large.
it’s not heavy though as it hollow with all the fret work on front and back.. you can see through it.
I do wish I could catch a photo of the sparkle that comes off it as it’s quite extraordinary.
It’s big and the metal is an an ugly colour but the actual detail in the design and the way the stones sparkle make it a treasure.
Also worth noting I can remember seeing this kicking around in old jewellery box’s since I was a child. (We are talking easy 40 yrs here and it was around for a long time before I came along).
It even had some paint on the back from being dumped into kids craft boxes. (Ok so I said I never appreciated it until now right? )
By all means it should be dead and at a minimal it should be all bent out of shape and have at least half the stones missing.... none of which has happened. That’s probably the thing that amazes me about it more then anything.... how incredibly detailed it is and yet incredibly hardy it is.
I will do a sunshine pic today - worth a shot. B887F201-E3C2-459E-9F25-CAFDF5F5F04C.jpeg

Her jacket is so pretty !

I talk about my Great Aunty Neter all the time
Her and my great uncle did not have children but were very close to mum and her brothers
when she died mum got all her stuff (i inherited her ER when mum died)
But when Aunty Neter died it was the 70s and mum did not like custume jewlery so i got the brooches and my older cousin got the hat pins to play with
they were sparkly paste dimenties
I would play with the sparkle for hours
even though they are long gone im glad i got to play with them - they had a fun end of life !
I wish i still had them because they were way better made than most of the fashion jewleey you can buy now and there are places on the internet that specialize in restoring and cleaning costume jewlery
Something does not need to be worth a gizillion dollars to be admired and enjoyed

but your brooch looks in relatively good nick, its been lucky

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results