shape
carat
color
clarity

My wife is considering replacing her wedding band...some questions.

DiamondDense

Shiny_Rock
1. what is the best way to determine fair market value?

2. where is the best place to sell the band?

3. re: the replacement. she is looking for a diamond 1/2, 3/4 or full eternity band, thicker than 2" on top. right now she has her eye on the Brian Gavin Kyla. any thoughts or insight into this style and Brian Gavin as a company? unfortunately as we're in NY we won't be able to try it on in person and the design is unique enough that i haven't seen many others similar.

thanks all!

the original:

lsmgDnl.jpg

pObP9g6.jpg

the potential replacement:

BrianGavin_AlternatingEternityBand7_030111.jpg

5705W18.jpg

amoline

Shiny_Rock
Can't speak for much else, but can say that all my experiences with Brian Gavin as a company have been really swell. They are attentive, quick about replying, and I have no complaints.

Double E

Brilliant_Rock
Brian Gavin is a good vendor to work with^^
Btw, I do want to say the fishtail pave of your original ring set looks quite nice. May I know where did you purchase them?

DiamondDense

Shiny_Rock
Brian Gavin is a good vendor to work with^^
Btw, I do want to say the fishtail pave of your original ring set looks quite nice. May I know where did you purchase them?
thanks. they are Vatcha via IDJ.

Gussie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Market value will be 50%-70% of original price. You can try to sell it on loupe troop or diamond bistro. You can also let psers know by making a post in the preloved section.

DiamondDense

Shiny_Rock
Market value will be 50%-70% of original price. You can try to sell it on loupe troop or diamond bistro. You can also let psers know by making a post in the preloved section.
figured as much on that one! thanks for the advice on where to sell.

bludiva

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you want to sell it yourself you can look for what similar items have sold for on ebay to help determine a starting price. Venues for selling: ebay, loupetroop, diamondbistro, etsy. Take into account the fees. You'll of course sell it faster if you offer it at a bargain price, if you want to recoup more value you may have to be patient and relist several times. You could also look i to consignment but depending on the value of the band it may not be worth the fees. Good luck!

seaurchin

Ideal_Rock
Just my opinion natch, but I'd get the new one but keep the old one as well, in case she ever likes it again or decides to pass it down or decides to upgrade the e-ring too, in which case the set would be worth more together. It probably won't sell for much used. And it looks great with the engagement band it's designed to go with. It seems to me like mismatched wedding bands are in right now but perhaps they won't always be.

Last edited:

Wewechew

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just my opinion natch, but I'd get the new one but keep the old one as well, in case she ever likes it again or decides to pass it down or decides to upgrade the e-ring too, in which case the set would be worth more together. It probably won't sell for much used. And it looks great with the engagement band it's designed to go with. It seems to me like mismatched wedding bands are in right now but perhaps they won't always be.
I second this. I also think both bands worn with the ering would be beautiful.

DiamondDense

Shiny_Rock
hi all, just wanted to bump this thread for some additional insight and opinions on the potential new band and how it would work/mesh with her ER.

for reference this is her ER:
lsmgDnl.jpg

and this is the potential new band (Brian Gavin Kyla):

BrianGavin_AlternatingEternityBand7_030111.jpg

any thoughts?

also, any similar styles from other makers that i can/should cross shop?

thanks!

bludiva

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think with finding a band to fit with an existing ER the most important thing will be trying rings on in person. Minute differences in height, width, texture, stone placement etc. could make or break the overall look. And eternities aren't comfortable for everyone. The one you posted is pretty but could be pokey between the fingers. You could also get done cz stand-ins to do a longer term trial with any options you're curious about.

KKJohnson

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I have to agree with others about keeping the current band and getting a second one, the current band can be used for stacking for when she doesn't wish to wear her engagement ring (vacations, ect)

eapj

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I agree with keeping the original and purchasing a second one for a change. If I remember, it was a lot of work to get one that you were both happy with and it would be a shame to sell and and in 5 years think that you wish you’d kept it.

I also agree that the new one being considered looks pokey but I don’t speak from first hand experience.

Having more than one option is a good thing!

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have bought too many eternity bands probably more than 30 in the last 5 years or so... granted mine are mostly channels and bezels, I've had some prong, and can attest the high/Low? prongs are pokey and uncomfortable to wear. I tend to measure how "high/tall/rise" of the ring with your e-ring and find rings based on height to match even if they are completely different, finding a similar height tends to bring them together in my eyes for the non-matchy look... My fingers are sensitive and highly restrictive to how tall a band can be before I end up passing on a ring, especially on eternity bands.
Have you gone to any local shop just to try on different types of bands even if they aren't eternity bands, prongs set and turn them to inbetween your fingers can give you an idea of comfort.

on a side Note I have great respect for Brian Gavin and his diamonds, and have been a customer of his many times. You won't be disappointed with his melee diamonds, they are true sparkler!

ringbling17

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Can you ask BGD if they happen to have this ring in stock and be able to send it to you to try on loan. That way you can be certain of your choice.
I agree with the others who said to keep the first wedding band instead of trying to sell it. It’s always nice to have a few choices.

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
In order to look good and feel good on the finger, the new band can't extend out past the edges of the engagement ring. The band on her ring looks thin so I'm guessing that won't happen with her current engagement ring setting.

If she is set on that type of eternity ring, would she possibly consider resetting her diamond into a plain shank ring? That would give her a better chance of matching the heights and/or widths of the rings.

DiamondDense

Shiny_Rock
wow some great responses in here. i don't think she is set on THAT specific ring as much as she is on getting something pretty that doesn't try to match "PERFECTLY". i think the issue with the original is she tried to match and, while close, it is not a perfect match so it just looks off to her.

funnily enough, she isn't a picky person but this does bother her.

at any rate, some great points about the ring she is considering being potentially pokey as well as the fact that it can't extend past the edges of the ER - we never even thought of that!

i highly doubt BGD would loan us a ring - but we haven't asked. is that a thing?

lastly, does anyone have recommendations for a style that might mesh well with her ER while not attempting to be an exact match (it does not have to be eternity either).

thank you!!

ringbling17

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@DiamondDense
It doesn’t hurt to ask. In the past I’ve done this with Pearlmans and I think LAD does this with some of their settings too (?). If BGD has it in stock of course.

bling_dream19

Ideal_Rock
Try the dream eternity ftom BG. I have a custom half and I really want the full eternity!! It's very comfortable and smooth. I think it would look incredible with her ring. However, eternity rings are custom non returnable. That's why we haven't gotten mine yet due to finger size unstable. I think you could order the half eternity.

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I actually like the current band with the ring! but yes if she gets another band in addition to matching the current ring such is in height, to try to get one that is comfortable, which means trying them on. It might be hard to do this online unless there is a way to try them on and see how they look with the ring. Good luck.

kimf79

Shiny_Rock
Can she keep her original wedding band, and add another, as in like an anniversary band? a wedding band is sentimental and you prob wont get too close to what you paid for it. would be nice to stack her OG band, e-ring and new band.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results