shape
carat
color
clarity

My Waxes from WF

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

onedrop

Ideal_Rock
Many of you were kind enough to help me with opinions on settings so I thought I''d post the waxes that I received today. Iw as going back and forth between something similar to Lynn''s and Shucash''s fishtail pave, and the Aramis setting. Since I couldn''t decide I decided to combine qualities of both. The shank will feature the fishtail pave about 3/4 eternity and the head will be from the Aramis setting. It took DAYS and a LOT of questions to make this decision, but we are happy with what we decided.
36.gif
The setting will be for a ACA .572ct. I''ll post the a picture of the diamond as well just in case anyone is interested.

OurDiamond.jpg

onedrop

Ideal_Rock
trying one more time....

pandm.JPG

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What a beautiful stone, and I love the basket head on your ring! I''ll look forward to seeing the finished product!

upgrading mama

Brilliant_Rock
yeah! That looks great!!
That baby is gonna sparkle like mad, hope you get it soon!

Sundial

Ideal_Rock
Onedrop that is going to be one beautiful ring! Can''t wait to see the finished result!!!

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
how exciting!!!! congrats!!

onedrop

Ideal_Rock
Thanks everyone!! I am eagerly, eagerly awaiting delivery! Of course I will provide pictures as SOON as I can.

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
it''s going to be beautiful....

onedrop

Ideal_Rock
Thanks Mrssalvo!!

BTW...maybe it''s the angle of the pics, but does the right side of the head seem slightly askew to anyone???? I did mention this in my response to WF regarding the waxes, but maybe I need a few more pairs of eyes to give me some opinions.

wifey2b

Brilliant_Rock
Very nice onedrop :} Can''t wait to see the final product...we will be eagerly awaiting as well :}

Scintillating

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 9/29/2006 9:49:09 AM
Author: onedrop
Thanks Mrssalvo!!

BTW...maybe it''s the angle of the pics, but does the right side of the head seem slightly askew to anyone???? I did mention this in my response to WF regarding the waxes, but maybe I need a few more pairs of eyes to give me some opinions.

It did look slightly askew to me, but I looked carefully and I think the ring just isn''t sitting straight up in the picture. Make sure you get someone at WF(?) to eyeball it.
2.gif

Scintillating...

gailrmv

Ideal_Rock
I love that fishtail style! So pretty!

onedrop

Ideal_Rock
Again....thanks everyone!! I think my excitement grows by the minute! And knowing that you all are interested...wow!

Scintillating: Thanks for the observation. I will have them to check it again. Looking at pictures makes it difficult to really check details like that. But good eye.
2.gif

JohnQuixote

Ideal_Rock
Scintillating is correct, it's a bit off-center in the photo. No worries. On that note (waxes), settings undergo refinement in the hands of the metalsmiths once the piece is cast; particularly the head & prongs. It will be precisely set & lovingly polished before final photos are taken.
1.gif

Thanks for sharing the different stages of your 'journey' Onedrop.

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
How exciting making a custom setting! It''s a great home for your glittery diamond.

Molly1024

Shiny_Rock
It''s going to be so pretty- diamond bands help make smaller stones look bigger; it made mine look bigger.

Lynn B

Ideal_Rock
I for one CANNOT WAIT to see the finished project! YUM-O!!!
36.gif

onedrop

Ideal_Rock
For someone who didn't think I'd be getting married let alone getting a ring, this is very exciting for me!! My situation is pretty cool though, I choose what I want and BF foots the bill!! He knows nothing about rings, diamonds, etc, but is REALLY excited! Much more than I thought which makes the process of choosing diamonds and settings all the more exciting for me.

Molly: Thanks for the tip about the thin band. I am sure the thin band will be an asset in this case as well. I've been told that the width will be about 2.3mm.

And actually I might be in the minority here, but I kind of like the size of my *little* diamond.
9.gif
Although I have also read about the DSS that sets in after a time!

John: I was hoping you would chime about the image being different on the wax pics than in real life. It's been a pleasure working with WF, really. And I am HAPPY and relieved to read your comments about the final touches. I needed to be hand-held through this and Celina has been great! I am happy to share anytime.

LynnB: Of course your ring was the inspiration for my setting, so I KNOW you are waiting. Thanks for providing your opinions.
2.gif

ETA: Stone Hunter thanks for your comments!! Your input was very helpful as well when I was going back and forth. Thanks again!

Gothgrrl

Brilliant_Rock
I can''t wait to see the finished ring. I too, have a fondness for smaller diamonds. But I wouldn''t say no to a big one either!
31.gif
Congrats.

Molly1024

Shiny_Rock
I rather like smaller (under 1 carat) diamonds- something about them is so sweet (though I wouldn''t turn down an upgrade). My band is 2mm.

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
oooooh, pretty! It''s going to be perfect. I''ve always loved this style too.

VINA

Rough_Rock
I noticed the the head is not straight too. Because of this thread I am sure your ring is going to turn out perfect. Make sure you get the vendor to take a few pictures of the finish product before they send it out to you.

I hope you don''t mind us pointing out problem with your wax. The last time I pointed out a problem with someone finish ring, PScopers weren''t too happy. See this thread:

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/honestly-does-this-setting-bother-you.49883/=

Also, please keep in mind that this is custom work and it not going to be perfect. If you want a perfect ring, use these 2 setters:

Mark Morrel
Leon Mege

The wax is supposed to represent the finish product. Once you approve the wax with your average jeweler, you are set. Not to worry with WF; they are not your average local jeweler.

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
Wax is looking good!!!
emthup.gif
36.gif

JohnQuixote

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/29/2006 8:07:40 PM
Author: onedrop

John: I was hoping you would chime about the image being different on the wax pics than in real life. It''s been a pleasure working with WF, really. And I am HAPPY and relieved to read your comments about the final touches. I needed to be hand-held through this and Celina has been great! I am happy to share anytime.
Happy to chime, OneDrop.
1.gif
Celina has commented that you’re a pleasure to work with. I’m glad the feelings are mutual.

JohnQuixote

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/30/2006 10:35:18 AM
Author: VINA

I hope you don't mind us pointing out problem with your wax. The last time I pointed out a problem with someone finish ring, PScopers weren't too happy. See this thread:

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/honestly-does-this-setting-bother-you.49883/=
It sounds like Vina may be under the impression that there is a problem (excuse me if I’m misinterpreting). For OneDrop’s peace of mind I'd like to reiterate that all is well.

The wax is a middle-step, with many to go. I thought it might be helpful - and interesting to OneDrop - to describe what remains to be done:

Now that the wax is created, our metalsmiths will use the ‘lost wax cast’ method to produce the actual piece of jewelry. The positive model (the wax) is placed onto a holding ‘tree.’ Investment, much like plaster of Paris, is poured around it. When that investment becomes solid we have a mold with the wax inside. The mold is heated and the wax must be completely burned out; thus the name ‘lost wax cast’ method. It’s important to completely eradicate the wax residue (people are often surprised to learn we burn the mold for around 9 hours). When the wax is completely eradicated we are left with a clean, empty, negative model.

The negative model is put into our casting machine. Alloy is heated in an adjacent chamber and, when liquefied, the molten metal is released and rapidly shot into the empty mold via centrifugal force. The mold must then be slowly cooled down. Once cooled the plaster is removed and inside is our cast piece of jewelry.

We are still not nearly done: The piece is then taken to our craftsmen who begin the real detail work. Under magnification they file and finish it, perform all hand-crafting such as milligraining, pre-polish the piece and prepare each of the prongs for setting. Then it goes to the diamond setter, who puts all of the diamonds in place. After the diamonds are securely set it goes back for final polish.

Finally, the ring goes to quality control where we examine it. If everything is in order, photos are taken and emailed to the client; in this case, OneDrop. When all is approved, we package and ship it ‘home’ to the wearer, who’s opinion is the most important of all.
1.gif

So between the current wax and the finished product there is still a long way to go, and care is required each step of the way.

We release wax photos to our clients both as a courtesy and for verification. We must often explain that features look different on the wax than they may appear after filing, polish, etc. I don’t know how common this practice is. For our part, we’ve found it both practical - and a fun way of allowing clients to witness the ‘journey’ their ring makes from birth to completion.

3hearts

Shiny_Rock
Onedrop, your ring will turn out beautiful
face23.gif

when i first saw my wax, I freaked out because it was SO PLAIN
6.gif
....the next pics WF sent me REALLY had me questioning my decision
33.gif
..... but Lesley said it would turn out beautiful and the final ring was everything I wanted
30.gif

keep us posted.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
John, thanks for the interesting post on how one arrives at the ring from this point!

onedrop

Ideal_Rock
John: Thanks for the very detailed description of the production process. I had no idea that all of those steps are involved. Reading through everything gives me even more re-assurance that everything will be fine. Plus seeing all of the great work that I have seen that WF has done with PSer''s goes a long way. Thanks again.

Vina: Thanks for your concern! No offense taken because I asked for opinions. I have admired the work of the other two designers you listed, but I think for what I wanted and personality wise, WF was the best choice for me. Things cannot have been better during my experience working with them.

Molly/Gothgrl: Neither would I turn down a bigger stone! I am not crazy.
9.gif
But I really love those small center stones for some reason.

I am hoping to have this baby in my hands (if not actually on my hand) by the week after next! Hopefully the formal proposal follows soon after.....

onedrop

Ideal_Rock
Bumping this up...

Might have my finished product sooner than I anticipated...tomorrow maybe! I was thinking delivery would be more like next week. As soon as I have pictures, I will definitely share with my fellow PSers. Many of you were REALLY kind in helping me to decide on a setting. Hope I have a treat for you soon......
9.gif

Cme

Rough_Rock
I too cant wait to see the finished ring:)

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results