shape
carat
color
clarity

#TBT My "Vera" Dangling Earrings by Whiteflash

Do you find my dangling earrings identical enough to accept?

• 1. Yes, the difference is not noticeable in real life.

Votes: 24 52.2%
  • 2. No, I would want the difference to be corrected or minimized.

Votes: 19 41.3%
  • 3. Undecided or don't know

Votes: 3 6.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

FancyDiamond

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
This is an unusual thread in that it is a show-and-tell but with a poll for opinion and advice. First, I shall provide a little background (design, diamond statistics, and etc.). Second, I shall post some photos. Third, I shall explain the poll question. Fourth and last, I shall provide some editorial comments (lessons learned and findings) and ear-shots (when I get them).

I) Background
While my jackets and huggies (and even larger size studs) provide the needed serious bling, I can't help but wish for something fun and formal like a pair of diamond drop earrings. While searching for design ideas, I realized that formal diamond drop earrings are not very common due to the large expense involved with larger size and quantity of diamonds to satisfy the realestate requirement. The lack of available reference makes it challenging to dream up an unknown design. For one thing, coming up with the proper proportion is only one's best educated guess. Then, there are many more details that require patient fine-tuning, as the custom work has never been done before. This last point illustrates how critically important it is to have a dependable and skillful jeweler who is willing to take up (or rather put up with) the challenge of making the custom piece. Therefore, I must emphasize how much I appreciate Whiteflash's entire staff/team especially Leon for making my dream earrings a reality. Most importantly, I want to thank Vera for encouraging and helping me realize this dream. Without her, there is no way I would have even attempted to start the project. Therefore, I want to name my gorgeous earrings after her.

Earring Design and Diamond Statistics -
Huggies 0.5-inch diameter, with eleven, 1-pt melees on each, 0.22ctw
Dangling double halo pendants, cushion shape outer, round oval inner.
0.714ct/0.716 I VS2 ACA center diamonds,
Each inner halo with 10x0.03ct and 2x0.05ct ACA melees.
Each outer halo with 16x0.05ct ACA melees.
Slight dome-shape pendant 15.7mmx15.7mm cushion, diagonal measures 16.7mm. Hung from huggies with diagonal along N-S axis.
14k WG metal
Total diamonds = 4.05 ctw.

_207.png

FancyDiamond

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
II) Photos

_9251.jpg

_9252.jpg

_9253.jpg

_9254.jpg

FancyDiamond

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
More photos

_9255.jpg

_9256.jpg

_9257.jpg

_9258.jpg

FancyDiamond

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Photos continued

_9259.jpg

_9260.jpg

_9261.jpg

FancyDiamond

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
III) Poll Question

The earrings are completed and are waiting for my approval to ship. Prior, I requested a photo (earrings against dark background to check and confirm the followings:

1. no gap between center diamond and inner halo,
2. even and uniform gap between inner and outer halos.

When I saw the photo, blown-up scale, I saw something of which I am not 100% certain about accepting the earrings. The big question is, in real life scale, whether are not the earrings look acceptably identical. I need your vote to let me know if you find the earrings acceptable. I shall be showing a total of six photos of the same image but in increasing magnification/size. Please make a mental vote after having viewed the first four photos (simulating real life scale from a distance on my ears to close-up viewing within 6 inches) and then make your final decision vote after having finished viewing the last two (magnified) photos. You are alloed to change your vote.

I am also curious to know if you change your vote after viewing the magnified photo and why.

FancyDiamond

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Photos of earrings in order of increasing size/magnification. Gues sthese are real life sizes from a distance to within 6 inches.

082113__25__.jpg

082113__40__.jpg

082113__50__.jpg

082113__60__.jpg

FancyDiamond

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
OK. I changed my mind. I am skipping the 5th photo. Guess the original size/scale sent to me should be sufficient for making assessment.

082113__100__.jpg

Farleysmom

Brilliant_Rock
Hi Fancydiamond. First, let me say I think your earrings are gorgeous.

When I looked at the photos, to my eye anyway, it appears that the earring on the left has a rounder inner halo whereas the earring on the right has an inner halo that looks more marquis in shape. Have they given you the final measurements of each earring to verify size?

I don't think it will be noticeable when worn on your ears with the space separation, but I voted to have it corrected if they are off as it would bother me.

In any event, they are beautiful and I look forward to more pics.

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
When I look at your photos it looks to me like the centre halo in the earring on the right looks like its slightly tilting towards the left. I'm not sure that even makes sense... but it looks like the diamond at the top isn't exactly on 12 o'clock. And the one that should sit at 6 o'clock looks slightly off to the right of where it should be.

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
They're beautiful!

I think the earring on the right is a little longer. Or the diamonds on the top part (not the halo) of the right earring are longer. Is that it?

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh gosh, I don't know what to vote because I don't think it would be noticeable when you have them on,
but I would still want the right one to be fixed to look like the left one.

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think they're beautiful! They do look slightly different, but I think if you look, they're not at the same angle for the picture.

sunseeker101

Shiny_Rock
Absolutely gorgeous -- in keeping with your whole collection FD! I think the differences won't be at all noticeable at the macro level. Can't tell you the number of times vendor beauty shots have worried me, and for nothing in the end. Enjoy :))

FancyDiamond

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Alex T|1377291395|3508822 said:
I think they're beautiful! They do look slightly different, but I think if you look, they're not at the same angle for the picture.

I have another photo that confirms the difference is not due to angle of photography. The photo attached below was given to me before I requested the dark background photo. In this new photo of white background, the "problem" earring is on the left.

What bothers me the most is the different shape. One dangler (which I think is perfectly done) has a round shape inner halo, whereas the other dangler has a flattened oval (or marquise) shape inner halo.

What I am asking is that for the difference, will you accept the earrrings as-is if these were your earrings?

081213_250px.jpg

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I noticed it right away. On the ear it would not be noticed, but IRL I would know and it would bug me. For the price I am sure you are paying it should be identical.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I do not think it is fair to judge this in magnified photos. Only real life shots would be relevant, and I think it is highly unlikely that you could see a difference. I absolutely think you need to receive them, put them on, and see if you can see the difference. Like Aeol said, I have been worried before because of a magnified picture and it was all for nothing!

FancyDiamond

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
diamondseeker2006|1377296606|3508868 said:
I do not think it is fair to judge this in magnified photos. Only real life shots would be relevant, and I think it is highly unlikely that you could see a difference. I absolutely think you need to receive them, put them on, and see if you can see the difference. Like Aeol said, I have been worried before because of a magnified picture and it was all for nothing!

DS - I always value your opinion highly, and I take special note of what you say. I realize that magnified photos are not 100% representative of what I would see in real life viewing the earrings in my hand. This is the reason why I post four photos of the earrings in small sizes that best represent real life sizes (on my ears and in my hands). Please judge based on these small photos instead.

The difference is marginal enough to give me doubt. My concern is the high cost of shipping expensive jewelry back and forth. Normally, I would take the risk to view the item in person and then decide. However, per my last experience, I think pictures can be every telling. Thus, I am hesitating.

Now, since the votes are 10-10 even (meaning no clear answer), I want show two new photos (two small sizes), and ask PSers to judge again. Since the poll allows change of vote, please judge again.

FancyDiamond

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
As I mentioned earlier, I am attaching two new photos in small sizes that simulate real-life sizes. Please judge again, and recast your vote. Note that you are allowed to change your vote.

test_25_.jpg

test_40_.jpg

Monnyjay

Brilliant_Rock
Gorgeous, love them :love:

luvmysparklies

Brilliant_Rock
I think what may have happened is that the joins from the outer halo to the inner halo at the for points is slightly bigger in the earring that is posing the difficulty for you. To my eyes, when I look at the diamond placement, they are the same. But, the joins are giving an illusion of the different shape you noted. The airline is just a hair more pronounced because of this.

If you are wanting a do over, maybe they can just re-cast from the same earring that is ok?

I will agree, that because of your head in the middle of these two earrings, IRL the average person won't notice a difference and all anyone will see is bling!

However, you should be fully pleased with your project.

PS: Are there any photos with the earrings actually suspended, but flat against a surface and not just lying down flat?

WillyDiamond

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
There is not 1 earring, but 2, they are both custom made, none other like them, of course they will be slightly different, but to the naked idea, wont see a difference, and if they are a little different thats what adds to the beauty and the magic of them. Wear them in the best of health.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
In the smaller images its clear they are different, however, they are right next to each other, and I was told they were different, and I'm trying to see what's different.

If you were wearing them a whole head apart from each other and I wasn't prefaced with "do you think these are too different?" I don't think I would see much difference. Get them home and see I think. I mean, aside from all I just said, how often will both those earrings be facing the exact same direction for a viewer to see and compare them this intently?

baby monster

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I can see the difference in both small and large pictures. It's fairly obvious to me. Would I accept it? Depends on the cost. I have a pair of flower-like design earrings that are not identical. They were inexpensive so I've worn them on and off for many years. Has anyone noticed? No one except DH who is OCD about the smallest details.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
FancyDiamond, do you live outside of the US? Because if that is the case, I can see why it is a little more complicated for them to send them to you to look at and possibly return. I don't think I would have noticed anything in the last two pictures if I hadn't been told. On the other hand, if I received a jewelry item that had a noticeable problem, I would certainly return it to be redone.

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If I were ordering a custom pair of diamond dangling earrings, I would expect the two earrings to be identical - these are not. It is the kind of thing I would notice (me as the purchaser - though I do think if you were wearing them and I had a good look at each of them, I would notice the difference as a viewer... but I am particular that way). Of course, I would have made clear at the time of ordering, in writing, that my expectation was for identical earrings. Unless, prior to confirmation of the order, the vendor had advised that the intricacy of the design would make it impossible to make identical earrings, I would assume I have ordered and paid for identical custom earrings.

At this point, however, the earrings have been made. I am not sure that WhiteFlash can make the earrings identical - if they could have, I would think they would have, the first time around. Rather than have them spend money and time in attempting to correct or minimize the problem, I might just request a cost adjustment and then live the earrings as-is.

eta - forgot to say, this is a truly beautiful design for earrings - I look forward to seeing how they look once they are on your ears!

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I can see a very subtle difference between the earrings...I think it's a little more apparent in some photos, and barely perceptible in others. I honestly don't think it's going to be noticable when you wear them. They are going to be separated by your head, as opposed to being side by side as they are in the photos, and I think they are going to be so sparkly and brilliant that the very slight differences aren't going to be apparent. They are gorgeous!

lapelirroja

Shiny_Rock
My personal opinion is that they look beautiful as is, and add the "security" of a head inbetween them, I think any differences would be imperceptible.

I really really like the design!

Rosebloom

Ideal_Rock
Re: My "Vera" Dangling Earrings by Whiteflash

First, they are gorgeous! I don't think there's anyway it will be noticeable when worn. I would see them before deciding. Perhaps WF could agree to pay for return shipping if you decided to send them back for adjusting?

I just looked in the mirror and sure enough, one side of my face is a bit rounder than the other. So I'd put the more oval one on the rounder half in case it helps elongate it a bit! I'm really just joking though because I imagine the difference will be imperceptible.

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm wondering how there could be a difference, since it looks as if the settings were cad-cast and I'm sure the stones were selected to be the right size. I wonder if it's something as simple as a slight difference in the size of some critical stones, or maybe the angle at which some of the stones were set? In any event I think it's worth discussing your concerns with WF, and maybe asking for additional photographs.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi, FD, what did you decide about having them redone versus looking at them first?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results