shape
carat
color
clarity

My Trip to the Gem Show!

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I was lucky enough to spend yesterday at a gem show here, and I had such fun! First off, admission: I did not feel comfortable enough to take any photos, sorry. :(sad

I went looking for Christmas presents for my sons (found them!), but I have multiple stones that need to be set, so just to play it safe, I brought three of them in case I found the vintage settings that I've been searching for. So, all things considered, it was a low key trip, and I totally lucked out. Here's my overview:

1) I brought two precision cut stones - a Tsavorite and a Namibian Demantoid. Found not one but two settings at Efim Gilin. They were so nice - a total joy to work with - and a great price for two art deco settings - one 18k with diamonds and one platinum with diamonds. They will set the stones, size them for me, before sending them back. My new favorite vendor, as they have excellent quality and are charging me less than the price I could find one single used platinum setting elsewhere! Photos of stones attached

2) The I stopped off at BandB Gems. I know there is at least one PSer who has had difficulties with them in the past. They have a wide variety of both colored stones and settings. I would not purchase settings from them nor would I get anything set by them. Their stone prices for almost all their stones are much higher than other vendors. But many of the stones they do have are extremely high quality and rare stones. So they are a good place to check if you have exhausted your search for Padparadscha saphhires, Russian Demantoids, alexandrites, and most importantly, copper bearing tourmalines - they had two small Paraiba tourmalines!

3) Very briefly checked out Vance Gems and what they had. They appear to have restocked and have many "fancy-colored" sapphires, and grossular garnets - both Merelani Mints and Tsavorites. I am sorry I didn't get to see too much more there; they were busy and my eye always tends to gravitate to what I love best.

4) Finally stopped off at New Era Gems. Steve and his staff are just fun to be around, as they are so enthusiastic and have lots of information to impart. Anyway, NEG has:
1). Amazing Mahenge spinels - like what a padparadscha would aspire to be if it had close to vivid saturation;
2) Gorgeous grossulars (Mint Merelanis), some with the coveted slight blue modifier (there was one stunning oval that had amazing polish, slightly bluish green, scintillation, and no shadowing at all); and beautiful Malawis;
3) Emerald trapiches; and
4) perfect medium to medium dark toned tsavorite rounds that would be perfect for matched earrings for well under $200/pair.
5) Not to even mention the rough, lol!

So if you're around, check out these vendors! And, in about two weeks' time, I'll be back with photos of two new rings. :bigsmile:

6-11-13_garnets_outside_3_preview.jpg

6-11-13_sparking_a_little_color_preview.jpg

6-11-13_demantoid_inside_1_preview.jpg

6-11-13_handshot_preview.jpg

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
Fabulous, Minou!! Wonderful way to spend the day & you did so well. Looking forward to seeing your settings! I'm so full of envy that you live near gem shows!

--- Laurie

CirrusClouds

Rough_Rock
Trade
Thanks for sharing your overview. Sounds like it was a nice stop. Love those cuts.

mochiko42

Ideal_Rock
Premium
minous, great find on the demantoid, that color is gorgeous! It looks a decent size too from your photos? Can't wait to see photos of it set :) :)

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
How fun! Nice stones Minous. I haven't been to a gem show in over three years, too much tempation. :devil:

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Laurie: Thanks! I wish you were near gem shows too, but some time we'll have to have a GTG at an East Coast show (of course, I'm only thinking of you and the other PSers who have not been able to get to one in a while, nothing in it for me :naughty: ).

CC: thanks for your response. Yes, it was a nice stop - a great way to spend an afternoon, for sure.

Mochiko: thanks on the Demantoid. (I should've said that I've had the stones for a long time - the Demantoid is from Jeff Davies). You have inspired me with all your stones and projects so I'll be really happy to have rings to show!

TL: here's to hoping that you get to a show soon - I too, hardly go any more so it was nice to have a real purpose and not just be wandering and constantly tempted.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
minousbijoux|1417325081|3792632 said:
TL: here's to hoping that you get to a show soon.

Too dangerous!! :oops:

LoversKites

Brilliant_Rock
Ah I'm loving the demantoid, it reminds me of my one. Yours is a bit lighter. Do you have it's measurements?

How were the Russian demantoids you mentioned?

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yay! Thanks for sharing :appl: What a fabulous shopping spree. You found some gorgeous stones :love:

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
LoversKites|1417377600|3792888 said:
Ah I'm loving the demantoid, it reminds me of my one. Yours is a bit lighter. Do you have it's measurements?

The Russian Demantoids were off the hook - he always has very high quality, but with a price tag to match. :(sad He has a perfectly text book Russian 2.2+ cts. Gorgeous horsetails, vivid medium green, very well cut - price you ask? $12k/ct! His one carat stones are half that cost per carat.

As for mine, it is not Russian, but just "lowly" Namibian, devoid of horsetails and vivid saturation. But mine is slightly bluish, with great sparks of color that I would not trade. 1.6ct, 7mm round. :))

LoversKites

Brilliant_Rock
minousbijoux|1417378436|3792892 said:

The Russian Demantoids were off the hook - he always has very high quality, but with a price tag to match. :(sad He has a perfectly text book Russian 2.2+ cts. Gorgeous horsetails, vivid medium green, very well cut - price you ask? $12k/ct! His one carat stones are half that cost per carat.

As for mine, it is not Russian, but just "lowly" Namibian, devoid of horsetails and vivid saturation. But mine is slightly bluish, with great sparks of color that I would not trade. 1.6ct, 7mm round. :))

I love the dispersion of demantoids like that. Just because something isn't super expensive or vivid doesn't make it lowly at all. :praise: They're like light green diamonds.

Hmmm, I read on an older thread that from Pala the fine Russian stuff was going for around 4k a carat for one carat stones. I wonder if prices rose or if that vendor is just really pricey. Probably a combination of both. I seriously, seriously want a fine Russian demantoid one day.

Marlow

Brilliant_Rock
I know New Era from Munich Show.

The Merelani and Mahenge are really great - the rough is very expensive but fine.

TL - three years no gem show!!!!! I would die!!! :shock:

Marlow

Brilliant_Rock
LoversKites|1417378987|3792896 said:

I love the dispersion of demantoids like that. Just because something isn't super expensive or vivid doesn't make it lowly at all. :praise: They're like light green diamonds.

Hmmm, I read on an older thread that from Pala the fine Russian stuff was going for around 4k a carat for one carat stones. I wonder if prices rose or if that vendor is just really pricey. Probably a combination of both. I seriously, seriously want a fine Russian demantoid one day.

http://www.litnon.com/index.php?page=viewgem&id=10149

Price is gorgous compared to the size and color!!! Not the only one....and no chance to get a demantoid with such a color from another source - neither Iran, Namibia or Madagascar.

InToTheMystic

Shiny_Rock
LOVE the demantoid, Minous! What do you have planned for the ring design?

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oh Minoux! what fun!! and rats about not bringing your camera with you - I'd have loved to have seen what you saw! ;-) That's a gorgeous demantoid that you have there --- LOVE that fresh spring green colour. Excited to see what you have planned...

LoversKites

Brilliant_Rock
Marlow|1417379889|3792903 said:
LoversKites|1417378987|3792896 said:

http://www.litnon.com/index.php?page=viewgem&id=10149

Price is gorgous compared to the size and color!!! Not the only one....and no chance to get a demantoid with such a color from another source - neither Iran, Namibia or Madagascar.

The price differences that can be found in gems is mindboggling. That one is really well priced for the colour and size. I wish I could see it IRL.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, it is fairly often I see well-priced smaller Russian stones (well under 1 ct). Over 1 ct, the prices rise dramatically. It used to be $4k per carat several years ago for a 1 ct stone and more like $8-10k for a beauty over 2 cts. I would assume prices have increased and the vendor is on the pricey side as well. IOW, I agree with you LK :praise:

ETA: but the trick is finding a high quality stone over 2 cts!

Marlow

Brilliant_Rock
It is a bit darker then the top color but still interesting - there is another one - a bit smaller for $ 190 - still fine.

If you love dispersion some madagascar demantoid are lovely - very similar to the stone minousbijoux bought.

Marlow

Brilliant_Rock
minousbijoux|1417382470|3792943 said:
Yes, it is fairly often I see well-priced smaller Russian stones (well under 1 ct). Over 1 ct, the prices rise dramatically. It used to be $4k per carat several years ago for a 1 ct stone and more like $8-10k for a beauty over 2 cts. I would assume prices have increased and the vendor is on the pricey side as well. IOW, I agree with you LK :praise:

ETA: but the trick is finding a high quality stone over 2 cts!

High demand in russia!?

MJO

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Plus low supply everywhere. For awhile Gemline had some great stones. He had a guy in the Urals that mind and cut the stones himself but he hasn't heard from him in a couple of years.

lilmosun

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks for sharing - I will need to look for those vendors when I go in December...on the other hand, I should probably take TL's lead and start staying away. :angel:

caf

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Pretty stones. Sounds like a fruitful gem show trip.

I am still pondering how to set the stone I bought from you. Thinking..... :think:

Cindy

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results