shape
carat
color
clarity

My technical questions answered by John Pollard from CBI- fascinating

Linny

Shiny_Rock
85A04231-510F-42BE-9557-5955E82AFC50.png Thought some of you might find this as interesting as I did. Many of you may already know these nuances but I love learning and wanted to be educated so here you go!

I asked John the following questions I as I’ve been in the process of buying my CBI:

Me: Why do some CBI diamonds have 34.6 and 40.9 crown and pavilion angles verses others with 34.5/40.8 etc. and how does that affect different aspects of performance (light return, fire, etc.)? For example, I had heard that a smaller table = more fire, and less white light verses a larger one?

John:

1. Numbers mythos

Proportions numbers on reports are good in a broad sense. Average diamonds can be classified. Some blind estimations can be made (as HCA does) but it’s no better than drawing a chalk-outline of a person. You get the gist of shape but no detail. That’s why sound advice-givers on PS ask for ideal-scope or ASET in addition to the average-numbers.

When it comes to Crafted by Infinity no report can be as precise as what we do with the actual diamonds. Here is what I mean: The scanners used at the labs acknowledge +/- 0.1 degree angular error on every single measurement (see “Accuracy” information on this page). And remember a number such as 40.9 is an average of eight different measurements. So that’s eight potential inaccuracies within that data-point.

For example: I have attached two grading reports to this email. They are for the same diamond. (See screenshot)

1. Check the 2014 grading report: Terrible scan. That’s apparent from the computer generated ASET imprint. We knew there was likely scan-error present, but the diamond was on-hold already and the buyer didn’t mind.
  1. Five years later the diamond returned to Antwerp. We polished off the brand-inscription (explained here) and sent it back through AGS for a new report.
Remember: Only the girdle was touched. Nothing else. No alterations to pavilion or crown whatsoever. Nada.
  1. Now check the 2019 grading report: This is a better scan. But remember, nothing has been touched on crown or pavilion. Look how the angles are different (they aren’t) and how the depth changed (it didn’t).
  1. Most importantly, look at the computer generated ASET imprints between the reports. It is the same diamond. But the non-contact scanner generates wildly different computer-generated ASET renderings based on the fact that it’s not repeatable enough to capture precision at the level we execute it.
  1. Sidebar: You may also notice we challenged the SI1 down to SI2. This is related to us upping our standards, while the labs seem to have grade-creep the other way. We have become increasingly sensitive to protecting our retailers.
The real test? LOOK at our diamonds. Look at them in the actual ASET viewer if you like. Look at them in any technical or real-life view. Factually, we are crafting with more precision than the lab equipment is capable of repeatably measuring. It’s something we are very proud of.

CBI Fire

Pricescope dialogue spans a wide range of generic output. In general terms the advice works. But you are above the clouds with Crafted by Infinity. We are chasing a completely different goal to produce bigger, bolder, bursts of fire. For us it’s about compound mirror size and integrity. Doing that absolutely trumps a few microns of crown height a “smaller table” creates. And no other production we know of is pursuing or achieving this with our consistency.

Here is a PS thread where I explained it: https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/cbi-fire.242606/#post-4388614

Here is a PS thread where I reiterated the explanation, with some photos: https://www.pricescope.com/communit...-2-18-e-vs1-center.248820/page-2#post-4546075

2. Girdle description

Me: I also noticed that most stones have thine to medium girdles but some have thin- slightly thick. That has no affect except putting a bit more weight in the middle right?

John: Negligible. It’s a matter of microns. See this article I composed. Many people presume girdle ranges are equally graduated. They are not. https://www.hpdiamonds.com/en-us/blog/blog-article/44/girdle-thickness.htm

Also I forgot to mention that John responded the same evening I asked these questions (I had asked them at 7:30pm and he responded by 9pm). I cannot get over the outstanding level of customer service and kindness of the entire staff at HPD. And this was not the first time I got a response late into the night from their incredible staff, who have bent over backwards for me. I can’t WAIT to share my story once my ring is done. I have nothing but total respect for this company and their product. I recommend them with 10 gold stars!

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’m always super impressed with the thoroughness of @John Pollard ‘s responses to questions (mainly on PS, since that’s where I usually see them). And I’m excited to see your finished piece @Linny :appl:

When might your ring be ready to make it’s PS debut?

Linny

Shiny_Rock
I’m always super impressed with the thoroughness of @John Pollard ‘s responses to questions (mainly on PS, since that’s where I usually see them). And I’m excited to see your finished piece @Linny :appl:

When might your ring be ready to make it’s PS debut?

I agree! My ring is probably a few months out since I’m soon to start the design process and am still figuring out the details of what I might want for the setting. I’ll definitely share my story when it’s done!

Linny

Shiny_Rock
I just realized that John works for CBI not HPD. He is the US Director for CBI. That was my mistake. I’d like to change the title of my post to CBI but once you post it you can’t edit anymore after a certain amount of time.

KristinTech

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I just realized that John works for CBI not HPD. He is the US Director for CBI. That was my mistake. I’d like to change the title of my post to CBI but once you post it you can’t edit anymore after a certain amount of time.

You can click on “report this post” and ask admin to change the title in the comment box....

CSpan

Brilliant_Rock
This is really fascinating. Would it be correct to assume that set stones would be nearly impossible to grade consistently?

I have 2 appraisals for the same ring and the only thing they agree on is clarity!

Wewechew

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is really fascinating. Would it be correct to assume that set stones would be nearly impossible to grade consistently?

I have 2 appraisals for the same ring and the only thing they agree on is clarity!
Yes, a stone being set makes it difficult to gauge color and weight.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results