shape
carat
color
clarity

My Ring Finally Arrived...HELP!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Demelza

Ideal_Rock
Hi all,

Well, I finally got my ring. After waiting over 2 months, my ring finally arrived today (it was supposed to be here yesterday). I had an idea in my mind of what I wanted it to look like, but it just didn''t turn out as I had imagined. The profile is too high and the setting too chunky. And the worst part is, the guy chipped one of the diamonds and set another one crooked, so he has to take it back next week to fix his work. I know this stuff happens, but it''s so disappointing to have to part with it again (even though I''m less than thrilled with end result). Don''t get me wrong: I''m thrilled with the diamonds; they''re exquisite. But the setting is just too much for me. I almost feel embarrassed wearing it because it is such a big look. I''m going to see if he can set the center stone a bit lower. I''m working with a wonderful jeweler/gemologist who is doing everything right, but I just don''t know how to deal with the fact that this ring I''ve been waiting for isn''t really what I want. I''d love some feedback. The pictures aren''t great. I''ll try to take some better ones tomorrow in the natural sunlight (if we get any up here in the Pacific Northwest). In the meantime, though, here''s what I have. Thanks in advance for any help.

Oh, almost forgot specs! 1.51 H, VS1, 66.3% depth, 64% table, thin/med girdle, no flourescence. Baguettes 1.17 cttw, G-H color, VS clarity.

ecut ring 1.JPG

Demelza

Ideal_Rock
Another...

ecut ring 2.JPG

Demelza

Ideal_Rock
And yet another...

ecut ring 3.JPG

Demelza

Ideal_Rock
Last one...

ecut ring 4.JPG

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hi,

You know, what I'd do is get the center stone lowered a bit like you're talking about and then wear the ring as is for a while and see if you grow to love it after becoming a bit more comfortable about it's substantialness. If you don't find this happening then possibly have it redesigned or something!

It's a very elegant ring! I hope things work out for you.

Michelle

Robyn12

Shiny_Rock
I think it's very pretty! Congrats, and I am sorry about the problems... I think having any diamond on your finger feels like too much at first, and takes a little getting used to. I think once you get used to it a little, you will be able to appreciate its beauty more. Give it a couple days (or weeks)...

If the center diamond still seems high after a few days or weeks, don't hesitate to have it fixed.

But, it's a beautiful ring, and I hope you enjoy it!

pqcollectibles

Ideal_Rock
Shoot Dem!!
14.gif
What a way to take the wind out of your sails!!
sad.gif

I hope you are able to get the stone and the ring fixed properly. And that you'll be all smiles
9.gif
when you get your Precious back!!
2.gif

derekinla

Shiny_Rock
The center stone not only sits a bit high, but the prongs also look rather crooked from the side profile. What is the jeweler's /vendor's return policy? Rather than be stuck with something that you're going to regret, it may be worth "eating" the re-stocking fees to return the ring and start fresh. Just a thought. Hope everything works out.

Demelza

Ideal_Rock
Thanks for the responses. I think I'm going to hold judgement until I get the ring back next week. As it's a custom ring, I can't return the setting, and I'm not sure I'd want to. Assuming the platinumsmith can lower the height of the center stone (I hope, I hope) and fix the other little things that need adjusting, I'm hoping I'll be happy. The diamonds truly are breathtaking. As for crooked prongs on the center stone, I think it's just the angle of the photograph. I tend to notice every imperfection (and even ones that aren't there
1.gif
), so I think I would have noticed something like that. But I'll mention it to my jeweler just so he can check it out. Going the custom route sure is a big gamble and pretty darn scary. My other diamond is set in a simple Stuller solstice solitaire. That was so nice and easy. Oh well. Hoping this all works out.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Going custom is kind of scary, our e-ring didn't turn out 100% like I wanted, but oh well. Someone's interpretation of what you wanted may not be what comes out in the final piece. I wanted thinner mm and got more mm. I wanted less metal on the melee. There seems like alot around it. Wanted a lower profile head, it came to me higher (but I got used to it). Hard to say. After another botched job with that same jeweler, we're no longer having them do our setting work.

Would venture to say that YES you do get used to wearing something and it no longer looks the way it did on your first impression (e.g. very high head).

I think the setting is absolutely fabulous! However, I would agree with lowering the center head and leave the rest as is. The ring is amazing. Beautiful.

Colored Gemstone Nut

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Well Congrats on your ring...

I am sorry to here of your misfortune with the stone being chipped and one stone being set crooked.

I would venture to guess that many "apprentice jewelers" who have not yet mastered critical techniques and stone setting including jewelry manufacture and fabrication are taking a stab at custom work. A little inquiry into who you are dealing with before hand might alleviate some initial problems. Sometimes it may just be a certain set of circumstances and some things which the jeweler may not have forsight on cannot be helped, but lack of experience is no excuse for less than fine craftsmanship.

I hope all turns out well with the fine tuning of your piece.. The style of graduating stones in your setting is lovely..
21.gif

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This ring would probably be great for a person who likes high-set ones. It should not be very hard to get the center stone a tad lower, just above the others.

I thought the pieces below may look like what you have in mind and serve as example if you have yours adjusted: EC ring with baguettes , EC ring, EC and baguettes bezel set.

In the first two rings the girdle of the center is just above the table of the baguettes near it. The tables of all stones are nearly aligned in the third ring - set as low as it gets.

cherij0411

Shiny_Rock
I love the ring. I have an emerald cut, and it is set low in a basket setting, I wish it were higher like yours. I have a 1.53 center stone and I think because of the low setting it does not stand out as much.

Demelza

Ideal_Rock
Oh yay, it helps to hear positive feedback about the ring. I'm starting to get used to it, although I very much want the center stone lowered! Thanks for the pics Valeria -- that first sapphire ring is almost a perfect match. I think I'd be really happy with my ring if the center stone didn't sit so darn high. So, there's hope on the horizon. I think what Mara said is so true: doing custom work means trusting someone else's interpretation of what you want. Thanks again, everyone.

hoorray

Ideal_Rock
It looks like a beautiful ring! That is a risk of custom anything in my mind. You get a mental picture that can't be completely communicated and it is always going to be somewhat different. I hope you get used to it after wearing it a bit, and love it!

diamondlil

Ideal_Rock
That ring is VERY beautiful! I understand wanting the center stone slightly lower though. I personally prefer a high center stone, but I think it's a personal thing depending on your hand and your lifestyle. Just for comparison, I measured the height of my ring from the shank where it rests on my finger to the table of my diamond. It measures 8 mm.

Lowering the center diamond on your ring should not be difficult, and I'd love to see a hand picture when you get it back!
love.gif

DiamondLil

Demelza

Ideal_Rock
All your responses are helping me to get excited again about the ring. It sounds like a little tweeking is all that is needed. I think the incredible anticipation I was feeling was bound to be followed by some disappointment. Thinking about something for 2.5 months and then finally seeing it was a shock. You guys are so great!

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
I love the ring but I agree that the center stone is too high.
It looks like it should be fixable and then it will be perfect :}
It stinks about the chipped stone and stuff happens but my question is why he didnt catch it and call you about it when it happened?

Demelza

Ideal_Rock
Hi all,

Well, I have good news and bad news. The good news is that the jeweler is going to carve a new wax and completely remake the ring. After meeting with the woman I've been working with, we both agreed that the bench jeweler's work simply was not up to par and that he did not follow our very explicit instructions. He agreed that this was not his finest work and suggested he start over again. I am so relieved. I kept trying to convince myself that it was just fine, that I would get used to it. But I knew in my heart that wouldn't happen. My jeweler said she is sure that he is capable of doing fine work as she has seen it many times and that he just dropped the ball this time. She's as picky as I am and scolded me for not telling her sooner that I was this unhappy. The bad news, of course, is that I will have to wait another month. Oh well. At least I will have a ring I love (I hope). I made it clear that I want it to look more like a band style ring, with the center stone just a bit elevated above the others. How does that sound?

Michael_E

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Demelza,
To keep this from occurring again, I would recommend that you insist on handling the wax just prior to the craftsman casting it. At this stage it is MUCH easier to fix any problem or even change the whole thing. This has happened to me before and it's not fun for anyone. When a client and I are building a project there is nothing like holding the model in your hand and even trying it on with the diamonds in place to really get the idea of what your piece will look and feel like. I'm a little surprised that your jeweler didn't have you go over the model in the first place to avoid the situation that occurred. I'll bet they do after this, OOPS !

Demelza

Ideal_Rock
I DID handle the wax twice prior to casting. My jeweler and I made a list of small corrections that were supposed to be made. Clearly they weren't. I suppose we should have insisted that we see it a third time with the corrections made, but I trusted that he could do them on his own since they seemed simple (lowering the center stone, thinning out the shank, etc.). This time we will for certain. And I will be sure to have him put the diamonds in the wax. It's too hard to visualize it otherwise. Thanks for the advice.

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
Those stones are so beautiful!

If it were my ring--which it isn't, so feel free to ignore this suggestion--I would go with sharper edges, rather than chunky curves. I would want to match the sharp angles of those gorgeous emerald cuts.

I agree that the center stone needs to be set lower. If you imagine a teeny tiny bride and groom walking up those stairs to the dance floor, you don't want them tripping on the last step.

phoenixgirl

Ideal_Rock
I do think the ring is lovely, and the jeweler you're working with sounds great. I'm sure the ring will be amazing when all the corrections are made.

But those stones really go nicely together. They make a very elegant total product.

Demelza

Ideal_Rock
Hi again,

I'm feeling very anxious about getting the ring right this time. I'm also feeling increasingly irritated that I'm still having to think about this and wonder when I will have my ring. There's even a part of me that's thinking that I don't even like the original idea. But now I'm stuck with all those lovely baguettes and I can't simply "eat" the cost and go with another design. I think I'm just feeling very discouraged. I'm attaching a picture of the ring I first saw that put this idea in my head in the first place. I wish there was a picture of the gallery so I could get a sense of its height and proportions. If anyone has come across such a ring and has such a picture, please let me know. I want to get it right this time!!

stairstepdesign.JPG

Demelza

Ideal_Rock
I really like this ring and its profile. Do you think it's too low? I'll post a side view next.

stairstep1.jpg

Demelza

Ideal_Rock
Here's the side view.

stairstep2.jpg

Demelza

Ideal_Rock
What do you guys think abou this? Sorry for all the posts. I'm just feeling so anxious about getting it right. I spent too much money on this not to be happy with the final result.

daniel k graduated band.jpg

wallace

Shiny_Rock
Hi Sweetie - I feel your pain - I had to part with my e-ring three times. I never wore it. For five months I had "visiting" rights at the jewelers. After the initial problems were resolved, I got the ring back two weeks ago to find the setting mangled and twisted, one with plier groove marks visible to the naked eye, and a huge swathe cut out of the platinum of a side prong (also visble to the naked eye), sidestones set at different heights, one placed crookedly, and never established whether or not the stones were chipped... And this was not even custom! Now I have no ring.
8.gif

I joined this forum on 10 march - the night I discovered these horrors (I had been lurking for a year). Everyone was so kind and helpful!!!They really backed me up and bolstered me. Becasue of their support, I fought the jeweler and won - returning the ring last week. It was such a relief! Then my soon-to-be-m.i.l. told me her nightmare with a custom wedding ring. I have started to think that I will get something more traditional as an e-ring so I know precisely what the ring will/should like - and maybe venture into custom for anniversary or b-day - after I have established a relationship with a jeweler I trust. Also, it will be someone local so I can easily stop by and view the progress on the ring.

Except for the height of the center stone, I think your ring is absolutley gorgeous. Maybe the "chunkiness" is something you are not used to - do I dare suggest you may want smaller stones or fewer to lighten the load? Again, it is just stunning - despite the fact that it is not exactly what you had in mind. Hopefully, the center stone can be lowered. But think to yourself - will that resolve all the issues? Or will it still feel like settling? See what the jeweler can do this time but I suggest, if you still aren't totally happy, consider returning what you have while you can. Keep the stones - sell the platinum - see about a trade-in setting - opt for a pre-mase setting as a temporary so you can wear the stones now (is this an e-ring?) and take your time working on the setting you really want with someone who you can really work with. Later, you could put sims/synths in the temp. setting and wear it on the other hand.

In my experience, it is better to be ringless - with the possibility of being happy - than feeling "stuck" or settled with a ring that does not bring the joy you anticipated. THere also the issue of potential ongoing difficulty with the jeweler... hopefully, he/she is reasonable and will work with you.

Emotionally - It does get better. Once you have made a decision about what to do to reslove this you will feel better, and as it gets going even better, and soon everyone here will be congratulating you on your perfect ring. Last week I was despondant and my fiance was crushed - but by this weekend the Pricescope gang had me up and going - really excited about getting a ring again!!! (thanks everyone)
9.gif

You can talk to me anytime about your ring becuase I know just how it feels!
I wish you the very best of luck!!! Keep us posted - everyone here cares
wavey.gif
!

wallace

Shiny_Rock
Sorry to pipe up again already - I was so touched that I wrote to you before I read about the jeweler re-making it. This is the same schtick I got!!! Verbatim. Please, just be very careful. I am sure they really mean well - but I asked my jeweler the same question someone posted - why couldn't they see the condition of the ring? I work in a hospital and if I produced work of that quality, just once, I would lose my job! Is there an exception for sloppiness becuase this is a luxury item?! I think not! They should work harder to make everything perfect becuase of the prices they demand and specialty of their trade. I think this is totally unaceptable.

One mistake is one thing - lots of mistakes is too much. Repeat mistakes for the same customer on the same job is beyond coincidental and should be considered a red flag. I do not mean to be alarmist. I remained pleasant and resonable throughout my debacle and gave them a chance to fix the problems. But when it came back in even worse condition, hard as it was, I had to make tough decisions. All I am saying is, know when to draw the line.

If you are still feeling irritated and dissatisfied, that is not a good sign. I waited five months and would have waited more if only they would get it right... I just wanted the beautiful ring my finace gave me! But we both sensed that the repair could go on forever with each party just feeling more upset and put out. There will come a point that they may start to get self-righteous and defensive - that they have done enough for you and you are just being too particular... keep that in the back of your head.

Your line that in your heart you just didn't feel it was right really got me. If you still feel like that after this repair - try to start over. We are all here for you!
1.gif
Again, feel free to write to me anytime because this happened to me just last week - you can vent away and I will love it.

wallace

Shiny_Rock
PS - I love low settings - nothing is too low! Esp. with nice stones like yours - they can handle it.

BTW - Your stones are different proportions than the ones in the picture you posted of your inspiration. Your ring has a more classically modern look because of the proportions of the stones relative to each other. It looks like a cohesive unit with all the parts showcasing each other. Contrary to that, the ring that spurred your vision has a more antique style flanking - more like an accent to your center stone. To me, both very beautiful but also very different.

Just my thoughts - maybe that's part of the problem? It looks to modern, too linear, or too harsh for you? I have seen some settings like the one you posted - since I am up half the night looking for rings myself, I will keep my eyes peeled and post anything I might find. I am really done now. Bye.
5.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results