shape
carat
color
clarity

My new VC European Round OEC 6-Prong Victorian Studs!

carbonfan

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I am so excited to introduce my new CER studs from VC!! Oh, so much to tell you all…

So as many of you know, I have been on a mission to find new studs for quite a while. I have had 1ctw studs for 15 years and I adore them, but I have had the nagging urge to bump it up just a bit. So the obvious first step was to decide what size to aim for. I know it is common practice to select studs that are up to 50% the carat weight of the e-ring, and I truly did consider this. But honestly, I think that just over a carat each is about all these lobes can manage! I actually tried on some 7mm earrings on in a local B&M store and even the sales associate thought they were too much, so that is saying something! Strangely enough, I can rock 3 carats on my finger without batting an eye, and yet I don’t like the feeling that my earrings are entering a room before the rest of me does if you KWIM! So long story short, after much deliberation, I decided that just above 1 carat each is my sweet spot for studs!

The backstory: I started out on a search for CBI studs (and they are in the works, so stay tuned for those!) but I also had the nagging urge to complete my collection with a set of vintage cuts. Based on my MRB quest I knew that I was looking for a pair in the 2ctw range, and when I searched Victor’s inventory, lo and behold, there, staring back at me was the perfect (and I really do mean perfect!) pair!!

Now I realize that most rational people choose between MRB and OEC studs, and I applaud this choice as doing this was my original intention. But as I will be alternating between an Art Deco-inspired CER e-ring and a more modern CBI e-ring (which Victor just masterfully completed, so another SMTB post will be forthcoming before too long!), a nudging within me said, hmmm, wouldn’t it be great to have two sets of studs, one vintage-inspired and one modern, just to round out the collection? I wrestled with these thoughts for a couple of months, and finally decided to just go for it. What can I say; sometimes my ears are in the mood for hearts and arrows, and other times they are in the mood for flowery disco balls! And I figure that if I ever decide to create a CER trilogy ring at any point down the road, I have totally secured my side stones now! But my ears will be the happy recipients of these beauties for the foreseeable future!

So then came the setting dilemma. I knew that I wanted Victor to make the settings, that much was crystal clear! I have been collecting inspiration pictures for quite some time and was leaning toward a Victorian 6-prong setting, but there were no examples of this featured on the VC site. I e-mailed Victor with a few pictures of what I had in mind, and as usual, he rose to the challenge to create a new design! I am continually impressed by Victor’s willingness to take new ideas and run with them, and I am convinced that he can pretty much work magic at this point! So anyway, in short, he created the most beautiful pair of earrings I could wish for, and they far exceed anything I had envisioned! :love::love:

Victor was incredible to work with, as always, and he even weathered my last-second panic attack that perhaps the setting I had chosen was not quite true to period. (I have a bad habit of second-guessing my own judgment about settings at times… it has nothing to do with Victor!). Victor typically lets me know if there is a discrepancy between vintage and modern aspects, and I took comfort in the fact that he had not raised any concerns. But for just a split second I thought, what if he is just too polite to tell me that this setting is not “vintagey” enough… what if he is just going along with me on this one? I sent a quick message to Victor just to let him know that I was open to any other ideas he might have, and he instantly reassured me that not only is this beautiful new setting true to period for OECs, the design actually complements these European cut diamonds perfectly. And once again, he was 100% correct!

When Victor sent the glamour shots my jaw just dropped to the floor. The CERs are incredible and those floral facets just take my breath away. And in addition to the gorgeous craftsmanship and the unbelievable quality of these earrings, they are incredibly comfortable to wear as well! And those painstakingly perfect prongs, too!! Having now worked with Victor on quite a few projects, all of which turned out stunningly, I can confidently say that Victor always gets it right!

The center stones are 1.1ct G CERs (6.55 mm) with identical specs on almost everything. And without further ado, here they are!!

Earrings 2.jpg IMG_3012.JPG IMG_3028.JPG IMG_3035.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

SandyK

Brilliant_Rock
HOLY COW!!! Dream studs :love::love:

Gussie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gorgeous!!!! Perfect size! :love::love::love:

Slickk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh my word! Those are absolutely dreamy! You’ll have to peek at them a lot in mirrors as you pass! Enjoy!

kathley

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Your earrings are gorgeous! Absolutely stunning!:love:

anangel

Brilliant_Rock
That first picture is amazing! Be still my heart :kiss2:

mn_shopaholic

Shiny_Rock
Those earrings are perfection! :love:

I can't wait to see your new CBI studs & e-ring as well.

foxinsox

Ideal_Rock
Premium
OMG delightful! They’re so gorgeous :appl:

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Congratulations on this stunning new addition! These are just completely perfect. The stones and the setting are utterly fabulous!

ac117

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Absolutely stunning and *perfect* studs!!! :love::love::love: Really dreamy! Oh how I would looooove to play with your amazing collection! :kiss2:Congrats!!!

Tekate

Ideal_Rock
Premium
ahhhhh! perfection! :love::love:

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
They look PERFECT on you. PERFECT. :love::love::love:

Congratulations to you and Victor.

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Absolutely beautiful!! :love::love:

lissyflo

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Did I see these on IG last week? They took my breath away then too! Love, love, love the stones and setting, both.

Dandi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm completely blown away by these beauties, the first pic is the stuff dreams are made of! So so perfect!

Sparkles88

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
They are just perfection!! :love:

natasha-cupcake

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Gorgeous earrings. I love them! :love:

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
Just gorgeous! The faceting is to die for! They look so perfect in your ear!

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Love those! They look beautiful on you!

cocotate

Rough_Rock
Could you post your OEC specs here? I don't know much about them and would like to know the proportions to get the same look. What's the budget needed?

carbonfan

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Wow, thank you all so much for your kind words! I usually try to reply to each response but as it has been a hectic week at work I may try to bundle my responses a bit for right now. I am not a "showy" person IRL, so it feels a little bit strange to be so forthright in these posts. But I have learned so much from the posts of many of you, and the information you all have provided has helped to inform many of my bling decisions, so I hope that my posts can serve to help someone else with theirs!

With all of that said, Victor's artistry has amazed me yet again, and I am truly overwhelmed at the response these earrings have generated! These floral facets are so dreamy to me, and they really do show up even in this 1.1ct size. I took a few more ear shots in hopes of capturing the overall effect of the faceting. It has been rainy and overcast over the last few days so I was limited to indoor lighting, and yet these CERs just sang their hearts out! Once the weather cooperates I will try to snag a few more outdoor photos as well. Regardless, I truly appreciate all of your posts, and it fun to have a community with whom to share all of my bling-related excitement!

IMG_2863.JPG IMG_3128.JPG IMG_3124.JPG

carbonfan

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Could you post your OEC specs here? I don't know much about them and would like to know the proportions to get the same look. What's the budget needed?
This is actually an interesting question, @cocotate. I am by no means an OEC expert, but just as with MRBs I would expect that there is a range of specs that deliver optimal light performance. I ended up going with a vintage-inspired (but modern) cut that captures the charm of the vintage faceting pattern but is also precision cut, so that is somewhat different from a true OEC that may exhibit less uniform, yet equally endearing performance.

In general OECs tend to have smaller tables and steeper crowns, and the culet is part of the trademark appearance as well. My stones have 37.2% crown angles, 40.8% pavilion angles, 48-50% tables, and slightly large to large culets. As far as budget, that will depend more on the size/color/clarity combination you are seeking than the vintage nature of the cut. I hope this helps!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results