shape
carat
color
clarity

My new Tahitian strand

Weeivy73

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Hi everyone! This is my first post after scrolling through almost every post on pearls here for the last week or so. I'm in New Zealand and work for a jewellery valuer. I've owned various freshwater pearl drop earrings and studs etc but this is my first step into the Tahitian strand situation.
I've pretty much decided on this strand as I really love the colour and luster, although there are some blemishes and pin prices that doesn't really bother me too much. Just was interested in everyone's opinion especially as it isn't a name brand strand, just something I have access to getting through one of my employers local suppliers ( who share my love and obsession with pearls which makes for some great phone conversation!)

Weeivy73

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Sorry, I'm having technical issues posting the photos I have saved in my phone. It is saying file error and the file is too big. I'll work on putting photos up soon. Thanks.

Last edited:

Weeivy73

Shiny_Rock
Trade
It is the smaller top strand, you can't really see the great variation of colour in this photo but it's the only one that will load for now. I like the bigger one but the colours are not as varied. I'll keep trying to post better photos.=)2

lambskin

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love the colors of the smaller strand. I like the size of the pearls on the larger strand. I like the length of the larger strand.

Weeivy73

Shiny_Rock
Trade
I love the colors of the smaller strand. I like the size of the pearls on the larger strand. I like the length of the larger strand.
Thanks for your positive comments lambskin, the strand haven't been strung yet they were just tied behind my neck. It will be 45cm which I think is 16 or 17 inches but not sure on the conversion as we work in centimetres on NZ. I'm going to take more photos at work today and hopefully they will load and you'll be able to see variety of colour.

cmd2014

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That’s a beautiful strand. In terms of the earrings, I wonder if it might look a little more coordinated if you were to find some to match some of the gorgeous blues, greens, or peacocks in the larger pearls at the front of the strand. While you have some greys in the strand, they are further back, and might not be as noticeable when the necklace is on.

Weeivy73

Shiny_Rock
Trade
That’s a beautiful strand. In terms of the earrings, I wonder if it might look a little more coordinated if you were to find some to match some of the gorgeous blues, greens, or peacocks in the larger pearls at the front of the strand. While you have some greys in the strand, they are further back, and might not be as noticeable when the necklace is on.
Thanks for that valuable input I really appreciate it. The next strand I have lined up to purchase is a steely grey graduated strand so I'm kinda thinking ahead too.

pearlsngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lovely colors in that strand!

Weeivy73

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Thanks mtsapphirelovingannie and pearlsngems, I decided for my first ever strand to go for great colour variety and luster over the perfect grade. I'm looking forward to getting it at Christmas.

cmd2014

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks for that valuable input I really appreciate it. The next strand I have lined up to purchase is a steely grey graduated strand so I'm kinda thinking ahead too.

I think it's always handy to have earrings that work with multiple strands. What I personally have loved having is a number of pearls on eye hooks that can be threaded onto my diamond huggies (like the Kate earrings seen here: https://www.americanpearl.com/tahitian-pearl-drop-kate-earring-textured.html). I have both yellow gold and white gold huggies, and drops in a number of variations (white south sea, peacock and grey Tahitians, freshwater, and Akoya) so that I can mix and match depending on what strand I want to wear and what other jewelry I am wearing. It's a little more economical as well, as you're not spending as much on findings as you would if you were buying separate earrings each time. Also, just as a consideration, I spend a lot of my work days on the phone, and have found that dangle earrings are more comfortable than studs. Studs also highlight that my ear piercings are a little uneven, whereas the dangles don't.

I think you will get a lot of wear from your strand. The luster and colours are beautiful, and a smaller size is not always a bad thing. Bigger pearls tend to be a bit more formal IMO and sometimes limit where you might feel comfortable wearing them.

Weeivy73

Shiny_Rock
Trade
I think it's always handy to have earrings that work with multiple strands. What I personally have loved having is a number of pearls on eye hooks that can be threaded onto my diamond huggies (like the Kate earrings seen here: https://www.americanpearl.com/tahitian-pearl-drop-kate-earring-textured.html). I have both yellow gold and white gold huggies, and drops in a number of variations (white south sea, peacock and grey Tahitians, freshwater, and Akoya) so that I can mix and match depending on what strand I want to wear and what other jewelry I am wearing. It's a little more economical as well, as you're not spending as much on findings as you would if you were buying separate earrings each time. Also, just as a consideration, I spend a lot of my work days on the phone, and have found that dangle earrings are more comfortable than studs. Studs also highlight that my ear piercings are a little uneven, whereas the dangles don't.

I think you will get a lot of wear from your strand. The luster and colours are beautiful, and a smaller size is not always a bad thing. Bigger pearls tend to be a bit more formal IMO and sometimes limit where you might feel comfortable wearing them.
cmd2014 you have such great advice, I feel like the steely grey studs could work quite well for me, I love both stud and drop earrings and think I'll get alot of wear out of them over the long run. I have these on appro so when I get to work some days I pull them out of the safe and check what they look like with different blouses etc and the size and colours just seem to work so well for me.
My employer who is a jewellery valuer thought that the colour and luster was fantastic on this strand too. He has been valuing a few ss golden strands lately :kiss2: they are beautiful, but out of my league right now.

Weeivy73

Shiny_Rock
Trade
I'm super excited tonight as my first strand of Tahitians are at the Jewellers being strung! I had picked a matte yellow gold round clasp then the jeweller called to say she thought it was a little small and suggested a slightly larger matte yellow gold barrel clasp so I just cannot wait to get it back.

Weeivy73

Shiny_Rock
Trade
My very first strand of Tahitians! I am beyond happy with them, they feel so luxe on I feel really satisfied... Until the next strand haha

pearlsngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
They are stunning! What a great strand! And they look marvelous against your skin.

katbran

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
That is a beautiful strand ! To be honest, not a fan of the earring pearls. Might need more photos as they look a bit bland . I too would like to see some Green or Peacocks . If you want silver , maybe look for some with blue or green to add a little life.

And a 16' strand with a clasp can easily end up at 46cm . So tell them how long you actually want it !

Weeivy73

Shiny_Rock
Trade
That is a beautiful strand ! To be honest, not a fan of the earring pearls. Might need more photos as they look a bit bland . I too would like to see some Green or Peacocks . If you want silver , maybe look for some with blue or green to add a little life.

And a 16' strand with a clasp can easily end up at 46cm . So tell them how long you actually want it !
Hi katbran, thanks for your comments, I will post some ear shots when I actually get the earrings as I'm waiting til Christmas for them. They are more plainer than some of the other colours but I do like to wear stud earrings alot just on their own and weirdly loved the greys. I am really happy with my first ever strand of pearls, the length feels good one, I ended up going for a slightly larger clasp than I originally thought so I'm not even sure of the exact length.

katbran

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Looking forward to the photos. And there is nothing wrong with plain grey just like there is nothing wrong with plain green. Pearls don't have to have orient to be pretty. And, grey is very neutral.

cmd2014

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow. The strand is beautiful and looks amazing on you.

Weeivy73

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Wow. The strand is beautiful and looks amazing on you.
Thanks so much cmd2014, I have been enjoying wearing them. I am surprised to feel quite satisfied with just one strand at this point, it's certainly ticked all the boxes for me. I want to do a redesign of my engagement ring next year so that will be the focus for now. Merry Christmas from New Zealand.

Weeivy73

Shiny_Rock
Trade
These are gorgeous!
Thanks CravingDiamonds, I have been wearing my pearls alot. Have the earrings now too so I should probably try and get an earshot for everyone.

GliderPoss

Ideal_Rock
Premium
They look terrific on you - loving the colour variation on your skin tone too - really pops!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results