shape
carat
color
clarity

My "New" Old Cut Stone

Lookinagain

Ideal_Rock
Premium
A bit of a quick backstory. I started out with a 1.3 ct MRB which I upgraded not too long ago to a 3 stone cushion cut (1.82 ct with two .5 ct sides). Although the ring was nice, I just never really warmed up to it. This was all "pre-Pricescope". After finding PS I started looking at all the lovely old cut stones and kept my eyes on Jewels by Grace, OWD and LAD, but couldn't justify adding another good size diamond to my collection so soon. I decided to go back to the jeweler where I purchased the 3 stone and speak to them about looking for an old cut for me and trading in my 3 stone. They pulled in a few diamonds for me over several weeks and I finally found one that I thought was it. The question was what it would cost me. Luckily for me, the jeweler gave me over 90% of the value of my 3 stone for the trade and it turned out that I could do pretty close to an even trade. So now I am the proud owner of this 2.13 ct. VS1, K old cut stone which I adore. I had it put in what is really a temporary setting until I can decide what kind of home it should have. Here are a few photos that I took with my iphone camera. I am very happy that I made the trade and so grateful to have learned about these older diamonds from all of you on PS. Thank you!

_25704.jpg

photo_1065.jpg

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wholy wow!

Travelgal

Shiny_Rock
Stunning! Congrats on your new ring. It looks beautiful even in the temporary setting. :love:

athenaworth

Ideal_Rock
Trade
WOW!! Your jeweler (and you) done good! Real good!! It's gorgeous.

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What a stunning stone. The faceting is amazing and it looks gorgeous on you. Congrats with this great find and enjoy wearing this beauty.
It actually looks great in this solitaire setting.

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Jeepers!!!

woofmama

Ideal_Rock
Wow, gorgeous diamond :love:

Sundial

Ideal_Rock
That is such a pretty diamond and I love the colors it shows in that second photo. Congratulations and have fun hunting for your new setting although it does look very nice just as it is.

kathley

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Oh Wow...just beautiful and I absolutely love old cut stones!

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Beautiful stone! I love it as a solitaire too - could be paired with so many beautiful bands!

LightBright

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
You have an absolutely breathtaking diamond! What a fabulous cut! To tell the truth.... I love your simple four prong setting which shows off the beautiful faceting and sparkle so well. Congratulations and thanks for sharing this beautiful ring.

Lookinagain

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you all for your lovely comments. I have to tell you I was apprehensive about choosing/buying an old cut diamond without the advice of the experts here on PS. But since I was trading in my 3 stone it meant I had to go with the local jeweler who would give me almost 100% credit. I was very impressed with the stones that they brought in for me. None of them were duds. But I had to fly solo and this was my maiden voyage! Kind of scary. I feel so much better knowing that you all think I did okay.

There seems to be some consensus on keeping this as a solitaire and I do like the idea of being able to put different bands with it. I will still need to have it reset though as the "temporary" setting is 18k white and I would want platinum for a permanent setting so that I don't have to deal with re-dipping. Luckily, the jeweler also told me he would give me full credit when I picked out another setting so, since I'm liking your suggestions, I will probably go with a simple platinum setting and embelish with different bands. Thank you all so much for your feedback. It really does help!

SparklyOEC

Brilliant_Rock
Gorgeous, gorgeous diamond. I really love the faceting on the stone.

CRYSTAL24K

Brilliant_Rock
I love your stone! Beautiful! So happy that you have found the right diamond for you!

I can't wait to see the final setting for your diamond, but I do love the simple solitaire that it is in now. Enjoy!

Mayk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Beautiful! Perfect!

Rosebloom

Ideal_Rock
Gorgeous!!!

syrahs

Rough_Rock
What a stunning stone!! :love:

Bonfire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lookinagain|1420079934|3810322 said:
Thank you all for your lovely comments. I have to tell you I was apprehensive about choosing/buying an old cut diamond without the advice of the experts here on PS. But since I was trading in my 3 stone it meant I had to go with the local jeweler who would give me almost 100% credit. I was very impressed with the stones that they brought in for me. None of them were duds. But I had to fly solo and this was my maiden voyage! Kind of scary. I feel so much better knowing that you all think I did okay.

There seems to be some consensus on keeping this as a solitaire and I do like the idea of being able to put different bands with it. I will still need to have it reset though as the "temporary" setting is 18k white and I would want platinum for a permanent setting so that I don't have to deal with re-dipping. Luckily, the jeweler also told me he would give me full credit when I picked out another setting so, since I'm liking your suggestions, I will probably go with a simple platinum setting and embelish with different bands. Thank you all so much for your feedback. It really does help!

You did a great job flying solo!! Your jeweler sounds like winner too. Enjoy your gorgeous ring.

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What a beauty!

thecat

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Love the pastels in your photo :love: You chose well :clap:

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Would love to see more pictures of your gorgeous ring! Congrats!

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
It is just gorgeous!! Congratulations on doing a great job. Hope you love it every time you look at it!

apacherose

Brilliant_Rock
Wow! She's a stunner. I am so happy for you to get something you really love- you did great, and kudos to your jeweler! More photos, please :angel:

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Your new ring is stunning!

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Congrats on your upgrade that is a beautifully cut stone!!!!

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Super gorgeous ring & OEC. :love:

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Congratulations!! That is a beautiful stone!!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results