shape
carat
color
clarity

My New Old Alexandrite :)

Jomana

Rough_Rock
Hi everyone! First time poster but long time lurker here <-----

TL;DR, I am looking for opinions on a reset - please see photos :)

I recently purchased an old "Russian Alexandrite" ring for fairly cheap. It's small - maybe 5-5.5mm x 3-4mm marquis cut. I don't have a great way of measuring at home, just a rough estimate with a ruler. It was advertised as .5tcw. I don't know how accurate that is.

I expected nothing, but upon receiving it, I immediately noticed that it is quite different than my synthetic. There are inclusions and it's not blue under the loupe light. The color change isn't the same either - it's less uniform and seems to come from within, like an opal does.

I took it to a pawn store, an estate jeweler, and a gemologist yesterday. The pawn shop is reputable, and their jeweler was in but not the gemologist. The jeweler thought it was natural but didn't want to confirm without his partner. The estate jeweler said the same thing and recommended a local gemologist, but wouldn't confirm. Both said that the band is obviously antique judging from the wear on the prongs and the cast setting, and both recommended to reset it rather than repair it due to the prongs and sizing. I went to the gemologist (all were walk-ins, and each of these guys was great for giving their time to me), and he didn't have time to do a full appraisal, but he did take a quick look. I was the only one in there, and after only a minute he shouted from his bench, "It's real!" He came out and explained that he sees these all the time and they're always fake. He said he was happy for me and that it is definitely a natural alexandrite! It was charming how excited he was - it was like it made his week :dance:I will make an appointment for an appraisal in the near future.

I attached some photos, but I can't get it to photograph accurately in any light. A couple come close. In daylight, it's the medium green of an included emerald. I photo'ed it with an emerald that I have that comes really close to its eye color. In the evening, it gets darker overall and displays a variety of blue/purple color with some flashes of red. In fire light, it glows a deep red, but it doesn't necessarily look red.

Returning to the need to have it reset/repaired - the ring is a size 4.5 and the prongs are worn down to nearly nothing on the top. My finger size fluctuates a lot, so I need to size it close to the top of my finger size and use a bridge at times when it becomes loose. As I previously stated, both jewelers recommended resetting it instead of repairing it, citing the same issues. I'm inclined to reset it exactly as it is - the estate jeweler said that they could likely find a more viable setting that matches mine, or worst case, they can make an identical one. But, I also thing it might look really nice set with a small trillion cut diamond on either side, flush-ish to the center stone. I don't want a halo or anything that will be too busy.
1.)Would you all take the opportunity to add diamonds or something else (sapphire, maybe) to the sides of the alex, or try to keep it as close to original as possible?
2.)Would adding side stones impede the light flow?
3.) Also, and most importantly - is this stone worth the trouble? Sorry for my amatuerish cell phone photos :nono:

Thanks a bunch! I appreciate your time and input :mrgreen2:
View attachment 678994 IMG_4156.JPG IMG_4169.JPG IMG_4163.JPG IMG_4157.JPG IMG_4155.JPG IMG_4159 (2).JPG

Last edited:

voce

Ideal_Rock
Add long as it's prong set with side stones, light shouldn't be impress very much. Alexandrite is very rare, so I would go through the trouble if you wanted to wear it. (:eek2:Who has size 4.5 fingers as adult?)

Jomana

Rough_Rock
I know, right! :think: It's a tiny band.

I'm going to spend a little time looking through some designs and I'll talk to the estate jeweler again and see what he says. They have a good reputation and seemed fair.

Thanks for the feedback! I don't want to reset it in such a way that it gets subdued, but I don't hate the idea of giving it a little flair.

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you love the stone then it is your opinion that matters. You asked us if we thought it was worth the trouble in the time and money to set it. I think your stone has a lot of silk and I personally would prefer one that will sparkle more. Here is an Alexandrite close in size with a cost of $340 from a reputable vendor. But our gems are personal choices and I do not want to discourage you at all. Just wanted to give you another perspective since you did request one. :)

http://www.multicolour.com/detail/?/details/single/alexandrite/ax10306ac/&1244716636

j2mBAX10306ac-G.jpg

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Alexandrite, my, what a complicated world.
Ideally an Alex should be a strong green teal in daylight and turn a true purple with red glints under incandescent.
Some varieties of colour change Chyroberyl are called Alexandrite when the purists will say “no, not an Alexandrite. Must be from “green/ blue to purple/red”.
So any different colour changes ie to an orangish brown under incandescent or with a yellowish green daylight colour are not what the purists call Alexandrite.
An Alexandrite is a type 2 gem (like emeralds) so inclusions are to be expected.
Most Alexandrites show either a better daylight colour or incandescent colour - rare to get both being great.
Next comes % change. Some show only a moderate change ie under incandescent light some greenish blue is still visible. It is rare to get 90% plus change.
Finally clarity. Yes, inclusions are expected but the closer to “eye clean” the better.
Before you go getting the old ring replicated (get a quote first, you might get a shock) have a look at Ivy & Rose (a PS recommended vendor). They have some lovely vintage style settings, some without extra diamonds, that are very well priced. They can also set your gem for you (extra $65 I think).

Jomana

Rough_Rock
If you love the stone then it is your opinion that matters. You asked us if we thought it was worth the trouble in the time and money to set it. I think your stone has a lot of silk and I personally would prefer one that will sparkle more. Here is an Alexandrite close in size with a cost of $340 from a reputable vendor. But our gems are personal choices and I do not want to discourage you at all. Just wanted to give you another perspective since you did request one. :)

http://www.multicolour.com/detail/?/details/single/alexandrite/ax10306ac/&1244716636

j2mBAX10306ac-G.jpg

You're right, my stone does some silkiness to it. The edges of the stone are more affected when it comes to a complete color transformation - it's the reason you can see the red glow, but the stone doesn't necessarily look completely red. It does have a beautiful color change, though. The stone you linked is pretty and priced well. I've seen you all recommend this vendor, and I will take a look through their website. Thank you!

Jomana

Rough_Rock
Alexandrite, my, what a complicated world.
Ideally an Alex should be a strong green teal in daylight and turn a true purple with red glints under incandescent.
Some varieties of colour change Chyroberyl are called Alexandrite when the purists will say “no, not an Alexandrite. Must be from “green/ blue to purple/red”.
So any different colour changes ie to an orangish brown under incandescent or with a yellowish green daylight colour are not what the purists call Alexandrite.
An Alexandrite is a type 2 gem (like emeralds) so inclusions are to be expected.
Most Alexandrites show either a better daylight colour or incandescent colour - rare to get both being great.
Next comes % change. Some show only a moderate change ie under incandescent light some greenish blue is still visible. It is rare to get 90% plus change.
Finally clarity. Yes, inclusions are expected but the closer to “eye clean” the better.
Before you go getting the old ring replicated (get a quote first, you might get a shock) have a look at Ivy & Rose (a PS recommended vendor). They have some lovely vintage style settings, some without extra diamonds, that are very well priced. They can also set your gem for you (extra $65 I think).

The first time I heard of Alexandrite was a few years ago when I bought a necklace to match a dress. The description of the necklace was alexandrite w/ diamonds, 14k white gold. It matched my dress and I didn't care much beyond that. I looked up alexandrite and immediately knew that it was obviously created, but I found the gem itself fascinating. The history, the color change, the rarity and the fakes - all of it. I was tricked on my first researched purchase, and it was a learning lesson (although the piece is beautiful and I wear it all the time). And you're right about chrysoberyl - the definition of what qualifies as Alexandrite is looser to some than to others. I'm a little more of a purist - I have a ring with chrysoberyl that barely changes at all (claiming there is any shift is a stretch), and it annoys me that it's marketed as alexandrite. Still very pretty, but not the same.

When I make an appointment for an appraisal, I will learn more about the % of color change, clarity, tcw, etc. The stone is included, but IMO, it has a beautiful and strong color change. The edges are less inclined to fully shift reddish, but the center (maybe 80-85%) shifts beautifully. Daylight green is the dominant color. I don't know how to determine an accurate % of color shift on my own, though.

I am looking at Ivy & Rose now. I know that the jeweler will charge me $400 to replicate it, and he said he could reset it for a lot less if we found a suitable setting for it.

Thank you for your input!:wavey:

Jomana

Rough_Rock
3F8EE3F0-64EC-4E51-BC63-14BCB6FA5CAB.jpeg 743C503A-AAA3-492B-96FA-2ECF25EB658B.jpeg This is my Alexandrite bracelet.

I've seen your bracelet in another post, and I've gotta say, I'm a little jealous :) It's beautiful!

Nick_G

Shiny_Rock
^That may be an included alexandrite but the green colour on the third photo is gorgeous.

I have some alexandrite mineral specimens and I can never capture the green colour properly with my camera.

Jomana

Rough_Rock
^That may be an included alexandrite but the green colour on the third photo is gorgeous.

I have some alexandrite mineral specimens and I can never capture the green colour properly with my camera.

Thank you!

I tried so hard to get the green to show - that's the only photo that even comes close to capturing it. To the eye, it is very close to the color of the emerald, which is a pretty medium minty/grass green.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Alex are notoriously hard to photograph - for some reason, what you see is not at all translated to the camera. I imagine that it has something to do with the properties that cause the color change being perceived differently by our eye than by any camera. Anyway, this is mine - haven't posted it in years. It too, is a fairly bright green in all but really bright light (in really bright sunlight, it gets confused and shows a mixed color). Inside color was really hard to capture, since it requires brighter incandescent light than I have at home (thus the reason why its kinda blurry) but the photo is a pretty good representation. It is eye clean and AGL report indicates 90%-100% color change.

I'll see if I can find a photo of it being confused, showing both colorways. It actually shows mixed color often, and that is what I always tell those interested in alex. Since much of the lighting we find ourselves in is mixed, they should expect to see the inbetween color more than each extreme colorway.

Alex - Green.jpg Alex - Purple.jpg

Jomana

Rough_Rock
Alex are notoriously hard to photograph - for some reason, what you see is not at all translated to the camera. I imagine that it has something to do with the properties that cause the color change being perceived differently by our eye than by any camera. Anyway, this is mine - haven't posted it in years. It too, is a fairly bright green in all but really bright light (in really bright sunlight, it gets confused and shows a mixed color). Inside color was really hard to capture, since it requires brighter incandescent light than I have at home (thus the reason why its kinda blurry) but the photo is a pretty good representation. It is eye clean and AGL report indicates 90%-100% color change.

I'll see if I can find a photo of it being confused, showing both colorways. It actually shows mixed color often, and that is what I always tell those interested in alex. Since much of the lighting we find ourselves in is mixed, they should expect to see the inbetween color more than each extreme colorway.

What a pretty stone with a beautiful color shift! I notice the mixed color in really bright sunlight also. Your pictures are much better than mine haha :clap:

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium

THIS is Alexandrite :love::love::love:

Nosean

Brilliant_Rock
Trade

Nice to see you still have this alex...

LemonMoonLex

Ideal_Rock

Wow @minousbijoux ! I had never even knew you had an Alex, let alone such a dazzling one!
5x7? 7x9?

LemonMoonLex

Ideal_Rock
Hi everyone! First time poster but long time lurker here <-----

TL;DR, I am looking for opinions on a reset - please see photos :)

I recently purchased an old "Russian Alexandrite" ring for fairly cheap. It's small - maybe 5-5.5mm x 3-4mm marquis cut. I don't have a great way of measuring at home, just a rough estimate with a ruler. It was advertised as .5tcw. I don't know how accurate that is.

I expected nothing, but upon receiving it, I immediately noticed that it is quite different than my synthetic. There are inclusions and it's not blue under the loupe light. The color change isn't the same either - it's less uniform and seems to come from within, like an opal does.

I took it to a pawn store, an estate jeweler, and a gemologist yesterday. The pawn shop is reputable, and their jeweler was in but not the gemologist. The jeweler thought it was natural but didn't want to confirm without his partner. The estate jeweler said the same thing and recommended a local gemologist, but wouldn't confirm. Both said that the band is obviously antique judging from the wear on the prongs and the cast setting, and both recommended to reset it rather than repair it due to the prongs and sizing. I went to the gemologist (all were walk-ins, and each of these guys was great for giving their time to me), and he didn't have time to do a full appraisal, but he did take a quick look. I was the only one in there, and after only a minute he shouted from his bench, "It's real!" He came out and explained that he sees these all the time and they're always fake. He said he was happy for me and that it is definitely a natural alexandrite! It was charming how excited he was - it was like it made his week :dance:I will make an appointment for an appraisal in the near future.

I attached some photos, but I can't get it to photograph accurately in any light. A couple come close. In daylight, it's the medium green of an included emerald. I photo'ed it with an emerald that I have that comes really close to its eye color. In the evening, it gets darker overall and displays a variety of blue/purple color with some flashes of red. In fire light, it glows a deep red, but it doesn't necessarily look red.

Returning to the need to have it reset/repaired - the ring is a size 4.5 and the prongs are worn down to nearly nothing on the top. My finger size fluctuates a lot, so I need to size it close to the top of my finger size and use a bridge at times when it becomes loose. As I previously stated, both jewelers recommended resetting it instead of repairing it, citing the same issues. I'm inclined to reset it exactly as it is - the estate jeweler said that they could likely find a more viable setting that matches mine, or worst case, they can make an identical one. But, I also thing it might look really nice set with a small trillion cut diamond on either side, flush-ish to the center stone. I don't want a halo or anything that will be too busy.
1.)Would you all take the opportunity to add diamonds or something else (sapphire, maybe) to the sides of the alex, or try to keep it as close to original as possible?
2.)Would adding side stones impede the light flow?
3.) Also, and most importantly - is this stone worth the trouble? Sorry for my amatuerish cell phone photos :nono:

Thanks a bunch! I appreciate your time and input :mrgreen2:
View attachment 678994 IMG_4156.JPG IMG_4169.JPG IMG_4163.JPG IMG_4157.JPG IMG_4155.JPG IMG_4159 (2).JPG

Also OP I might have missed it but, what stone are you comparing the color to in the 3rd picture? Labradorite?

Jomana

Rough_Rock
Also OP I might have missed it but, what stone are you comparing the color to in the 3rd picture? Labradorite?

It's an off angle. The ring in the third picture is an emerald with alex cats eyes on the sides. The emerald is the color that I was trying to compare it to. The daylight color is really close to that medium minty green of the emerald.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results