shape
carat
color
clarity

My new hobby..and a question

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well, 2006 was my year to get my diamonds upgraded, so now I am concentrating on colored stones! For Christmas, I got two books: Gemstones by Cally Hall and Gemstone Buying Guide by Renee Newman. I still plan to get the Richard Hughes book when I have time to read it. My favorite gemstone is the sapphire due to it''s durability and it is also my birthstone! I want blue, lavendar, pink, and yellow, and maybe some other colors as well. I would also like a small, fine ruby, if possible.

I guess my main concern is finding the right place to buy the stones. Can you count on the Natural Sapphire Company to tell you which are the finest untreated stones (I guess price can tell you that to a degree) or do you really need a third party to help you? And if so, who would you choose?

smitcompton

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Dear Diamond Seeker,
If the stone you purchase is expensive I would have Richard Sherwin in Florida look at it. I purchased some rubies in the $800-1000 range and found they were not at all what I thought I purchased. I was able to return them only because I had lab reports indicating the problem. I was beyond my return time. I still had a hard time returning them but eventually they conceded. He does a very nice job and it was worth the money to me. He charges by the size of the stone. I agree that sapphires and rubies are strong enough for everyday wear. Good luck.
Thanks,
Annette

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hi Diamondseeker,

I have bought my Padparadscha Sapphire''s from The Natural Sapphire Company. I highly recommend them. Steven Bliss and Su Su, go out of their way to be more than helpful. Sapphire is also my birthstone.
9.gif

In fact, I bought another Pad stone two weeks ago. I had them set it, into a pendant for me. I had wanted a halo around it, but Su Su talked me out of it, saying it would take away from the beauty of the stone. She was absolutely right. Instead, she set the stone with 3 small diamonds above the stone.

They will work with you and answer any questions you have.

Linda

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks Annette and LInda!

Linda, have you posted your pendant yet? I''ll have to search! I could spend hours on the NSC website.

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
DS, do you have the opportunity to go to any gem shows? It might be interesting as a purely educational experience just to go and view a bunch of things in person. Here''s the link to the gem show schedule and locations (link); are there any near you?

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
hehehe DS I wish you lived closer :) The only thing I want different than you is I want a lighter colored sapphire hahaha - but but but I''ve also thought of putting a light blue sapphire halo around my cushion LOL I doubt I do that but it crosses my mind at least once a day lol I''m so excited for you!! I hope you have at least as much fun with this/these projects :)

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
DS, you might also want to check with Wink Jones. He works with Richard Homor who has cut some gorgeous colored stones. If I were looking for a colored stone, I definitely check in with him.

starryeyed

Ideal_Rock
Diamondseeker, you''ll have to change your name to Sapphireseeker! Ha-ha!

I love sapphires too. I have a 4.30-carat blue sapphire, heat-treated, and a 4.29-carat pink sapphire, not heated. I found The Natural Sapphire Company to have beautiful stones, but they are pricey.

I bought my pink loose from Gemnation and they set it for me. Barry is great. They have access to just about anything you want and their prices are very competitive. They are closed until Jan 2nd FYI.

I bought my blue from The Facets Collection on one of their sales - it was already set. It was incredibly priced and is a gorgeous stone. I get tons of compliments, including from the local jewelers.

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
Linda, I''d also like to see it.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Dee Jay, that''s a great idea to learn more, but I''d be afraid to buy anything at a gem show since I wouldn''t know who to trust. That link doesn''t seem to go to the gem show schedule...can you try it again? Thanks! I think it would be a lot of fun to go to one, though!

Thanks Cehra! It would be fun to shop together! I actually don''t want a deep blue sapphire either. I already have one that is too dark, so I want more of a medium blue this time. I have to change to colored stones because I can''t keep my habit up using diamonds!
23.gif

MrsS, yes, that''s a great idea to check with Wink!

starryeyed, now I think we need some pictures of your sapphires!!! Thanks for the links!

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
DS, sorry about the bad link; must have been doing too many things at once! Here is the right link: gem show schedule.

Also, I agree with you about not actually buying anything at a show until you know more, I just thought it might be fun to go and see a lot of gems IRL. If you were interested in topaz, for instance, you could go to several different booths that sell topaz and see the range of color and whether you prefer one shape to antoher, that sort of thing. I have bought small things at both of the gem shows that I''ve been too (just an eternity band with tiny stones for $425 and a .45 ct bezel set diamond pendant for $650) but I probably wouldn''t trust myself to buy anything expensive either!

Ann

Brilliant_Rock
How fun looking for colored stones.
I''m just starting to think about them, but would love a pink heart shape sapphire,
set with a diamond halo, sorta'' like DiDiamonds yellow diamond heart shape ring.

Thanks Dee Jay for that Gem show link, I knew we had one coming up
here in Houston, and now I know the date, I will be there with bells on my toes!!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks, Dee Jay! I agree that it would be very educational! I have one friend who just might go with me, too! There is one relatively near here!

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/29/2006 8:06:27 PM
Author: diamondseeker2006
Thanks, Dee Jay! I agree that it would be very educational! I have one friend who just might go with me, too! There is one relatively near here!

Let me know if you are planning on going. I would love to tag along.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/29/2006 8:45:37 PM
Author: Tacori E-ring

Terrific! That''s even better! I know you love sapphires, too! We''ll definitely plan on it! Your new avatar picture is beautiful, S!

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/29/2006 8:59:53 PM
Date: 12/29/2006 8:45:37 PM

Terrific! That''s even better! I know you love sapphires, too! We''ll definitely plan on it! Your new avatar picture is beautiful, S!

Thanks! I wanted something colorful and I just loved our wedding flowers! I know nothing about what makes a good sapphire except what I like with my eyes which is a cobalt color) so maybe you can teach me
2.gif
I wonder where they are holding it. I couldn''t find out on the website.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/29/2006 11:29:57 PM

Thanks! I wanted something colorful and I just loved our wedding flowers! I know nothing about what makes a good sapphire except what I like with my eyes which is a cobalt color) so maybe you can teach me
2.gif
I wonder where they are holding it. I couldn''t find out on the website.
I''ll try to learn as much as possible before we go! It says it is at the Metrolina Complex the weekend of March 16. I don''t know where that is, but you can probably figure that part out for us!

starryeyed

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/29/2006 12:29:15 AM

starryeyed, now I think we need some pictures of your sapphires!!! Thanks for the links!
Hi Diamondseeker - I mean, Sapphireseeker!
emwink.gif

I posted a few pictures of the pink sapphire ring in this thread: New Pink Sapphire & Diamond Ring. I'm realizing now that they aren't the best pictures - I should have cleaned the ring, oops. Silly me.

When I'm back from vacation, I'll try to upload a few photos of the blue sapphire.

I found this article to be very helpful and educational - it's the Richard Hughes piece from PalaGems: Sapphire Buying Guide. The links from this page are excellent reads too.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/31/2006 6:37:32 PM
Author: starryeyed

Date: 12/29/2006 12:29:15 AM

Hi Diamondseeker - I mean, Sapphireseeker!
emwink.gif

I posted a few pictures of the pink sapphire ring in this thread: New Pink Sapphire & Diamond Ring. I''m realizing now that they aren''t the best pictures - I should have cleaned the ring, oops. Silly me.

When I''m back from vacation, I''ll try to upload a few photos of the blue sapphire.

I found this article to be very helpful and educational - it''s the Richard Hughes piece from PalaGems: Sapphire Buying Guide. The links from this page are excellent reads too.
Oh, gosh, Starryeyed! Of course I remember that gorgeous pink sapphire! That is an outstanding ring! Thanks also for the Palagems link. I was reading on there the other day thinking that I just need to call him and ask him to pick a stone for me! There is SO much information!

starryeyed

Ideal_Rock
The blue is just as nice - more violet/royal blue. I''ll get to pictures when I return...

Did you ever check out Cherry Picked? The prices are huge, but it may help to get you versed in some of the lingo. Here''s my take on it:

Color - Color is a preference thing. For example, with blue, some will tell you that a rich royal/cornflower blue is the most desirable. It really depends on what you like. The more intense the color, generally, the more valuable the stone.

Brilliance - Sapphires don''t sparkle like a diamond, but there should be nice light return with good contrast/scintillation.

Clarity - Clarity is often enhanced by heat-treating. Sometimes, if the stone is natural and not treated, the "silk" that occurs in the stone can actually add to its sparkle. The "silk" refers to threads of inclusions running through the stone. Some vendors will apply the diamond clarity scale to sapphires because this is what most people know (VVS, VS, SI, etc). However, there is a-whole-nother system that GIA has developed for gemstones, for what it''s worth.

Cut - The cut of a sapphire is really an art form. Sapphires are generally cut much deeper than diamonds. A sapphire may have an off-center "keel", which isn''t a bad thing, I''ve learned. The cut of a sapphire has more to do with its face-up performance than its symmetry. A sapphire is cut to maintain weight and improve performance.

Tone - Generally - light, medium, dark and variations thereof. This is different than color.

Zoning - Zoning usually refers to gradations of color across the stone. There can be zoning of color naturally withing the stone, or there can be dark areas due to the cut of the stone. Generally, you want uniform color.

Windows - A sapphire should not have a "window". The way to tell is to put printed material behind the stone and see if you can read the letters.

It helps to know this lingo when you communicate with different dealers. Ask about each attribute in order to best understand the stone. Hope this helps!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks so much for all your help, Starryeyed! I seriously do hope to follow in your footsteps and get more than one color of sapphire! I think they are so beautiful!

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Such options....Dutton''s, Wink, Barbara at acstones, RW Wise......so much information and where to buy!!!

Seems like we are all on the colored stone wavelength these days....

cheers--Sharon

starryeyed

Ideal_Rock
Hello Diamond, oh, er, Sapphireseeker!

Here are the pictures I promised.

BlueSappRing4.JPG

starryeyed

Ideal_Rock
One more....

BlueSappRing5.JPG

Kismet

Ideal_Rock
Wow, that''s one gorgeous ring, starryeyed!

starryeyed

Ideal_Rock
Thanks Kismet! It was a great bargain too - all the more reason to love it!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh, I just found your pictures, StarryEyed! That is a gorgeous ring!
30.gif

starryeyed

Ideal_Rock
Thanks diamondseeker! I love the guys over at Facets/SignedPieces! This is one of theirs.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results