shape
carat
color
clarity

My new David Klass Engagement Ring! Need opinions please!

ElephantQuota

Rough_Rock
I have been lurking here since at lease 2013, but I didn't like my username enough to actually post with it :twirl: . I feel strange finally writing my own post! I fell in love with a loose radiant diamond this past April and my intended got it for me. I was lucky enough to get full reign with the details and design for my engagement ring. I might mention in another topic at a later date, but my diamond has been around, lol. I couldn't make up my mind who to get a custom setting from for a while. I have gotten to speak with some wonderful and talented pricescope vendors, see some pretty amazing bling (the original SK Casablanca!), and had a great time though. At the end of the day I chose to go with David Klass and I am very glad I did. He and Amy are amazing and so very talented. They are incredibly accommodating as well. In fact, this might not be the setting version I stick with. It did not turn out exactly as I had expected, but over the past month I have grown to love it. The goal of this piece was to design a halo with open corners that combined antique and more modern styles into one ring. The pave on the shank is also done by a bench that works with Victor Canera. As a huge fan of his Emilya halo settings and overall workmanship, I am thrilled to have precise, shallow u-cut set pave in my shank. I will say that there were some miscommunications that occurred, but David has gone above and beyond to help me out. His customer service is amazing. If I want to start over, he says no problem, we can redesign. I do have some reservations about the current design, but I feel pretty drained. It isn't actually quite like I envisioned it. However I'm not sure if it looks better the way it is than how my exact vision would have turned out. I have a difficult time visualizing things that aren't right in front of me. I kind of just want to have my ring all said and done with, however the ring needs sizing beads added, and the center stone has actually loosened so that needs tightening up as well. Either way, It's got to be shipped back. I am having a really, really hard time deciding if I want to redesign it or just keep the design as is.

But, without further ado:
The center stone is a 1.51 J radiant cut, with 0.60 carats of h colored single cut melee set in 90% platinum alloyed with 10% iridium. The shank is 2mm wide. Bands can sit flush under it and I plan on having two engraved marquise shaped bands on either side of it, with either all single cut melee, or small kite set square french cuts flanked with single cuts in each little section.

What do the wonderful people of Pricescope think? You guys have been my muses and source of information for pretty much everything. I feel like I should thank so many people for being for sharing so much information, but I would especially like to thank Gypsy and Charmypoo, whose posts I scoured for info. I am so thankful for this site. I should mention that I had asked for the melee to be much whiter, and intended for there to be no milgrain on the "halo" at all, perhaps one row if anything, hence the reasons for the possible re-do. The way it is now the melee is matched to my warmer center stone, and the halo does not stand out from a distance at all, even at arms length. It matches the center stone very well in both color and sparkle. I really wanted a well defined obvious pave halo, but my diamond looking much larger IS pretty nice. I didn't want the head to look too much like a flower, and I think the only thing that really irks me is how often I see it at and angle where I can only see the scalloped edges, which looks very flowery to me, and as if the stone just sits nestled in scalloped metal, with nothing underneath. I wanted a deeper, more rounded gallery that would stand out more under the halo. Maybe it is the milgrain, but very often the scoops/scallops just look too sculpted to me, and I think they stick out too much, especially the corners. If I can get over that however, that would be great. I do love it, but I am not sure it's "the one". I don't know if there is such a thing though. I mean, realistically, is it really that important to love every SINGLE angle of your engagement ring? I do truly love it, most of the time. LOL.

Opinions? Please be as honest as you'd like. If I get offended, I'll just hide it. :lol:

em6004-2.jpg

em6006.jpg

em6007.jpg

img_12669.jpg

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Re: My new David Klass Engagement Ring! Need opinions pleas

On my iPad, the pictures are blurry around the diamond. Do you have a macro lens that you can take pics with?

ElephantQuota

Rough_Rock

I am charging my SLR battery as I type actually and will upload macros shortly. Until then, here are some photos from my phone. I feel like the warmer melee and perhaps being set in platinum make my warm-ish stone appear much warmer. It was never this warm looking before. Could whiter melee make it look whiter or would it just draw more attention to the warmth that is already there? It looks like spiced vanilla to me, but everyone else I ask tell me it looks white. I'm pretty sensitive to color, and am pretty ok with it.. but the warmth was never this obvious in any setting or ring holder before. The last picture with the red arrow indicates the corners and very scalloped edges that irritate me. I don't like that I cannot see the gallery beneath it. From this angle the scoops of the halo look clunky and top heavy. I love the other angles though.

20160912_0.jpg

20160912_2.jpg

20160912_202529.jpg

20160912_3.jpg

poshmommy

Brilliant_Rock

I like it. I think it is a unique take on the everyday halo look. Would love to see more pictures of the basket.

poshmommy

Brilliant_Rock

I replied too fast! Thanks for the additional photos. The profile is REALLY pretty!

ElephantQuota

Rough_Rock

Here are just a few more facing up and the basket. I'll post higher quality photos later. It is quite difficult to make sense of where the diamond edges end and the halo begins. It's very seamless. I love the basket. I couldn't decide on if I wanted to add engraving to the sides of the shank, and was worried it would look too different from the head, but I ended up liking it and I figure that I'll be adding stacking bands to it anyways that are just going to bang up the sides of the polished metal. I think I'll want to do two similar style wedding bands like the one in the second to last photo. The last one is a terrible photo but at least poorly shows the reason why I wanted open corners. For some reason the corner facets under the girdle reflect everything against it enlarged on the opposite side of the diamond in the triangular/arrow shapes of a radiant cut. I've read text through it that way which was interesting, but my favorite part is that I get flashes of light when I point my ring at beams of light or even in semi-shadowy areas! It's not as obvious now that it's set, but I have fun with that little feature lol.

20160811_205050.jpg

20160811_161332.jpg

screenshot_20160912-005434.png

20160820_182908.jpg

ElephantQuota

Rough_Rock

Thank you so much! Here are some better photos of the basket detail and profile. :loopy:

img_6511_copy.jpg

img_6510_copy.jpg

img_6512_0.jpg

img_12671.jpg

lknvrb4

Ideal_Rock

To be honest, I feel like the halo drowns out your diamond. The ring is unique, but would not work for myself. You have to love it though!

Fulvia

Shiny_Rock

lknvrb4|1473759906|4075821 said:
To be honest, I feel like the halo drowns out your diamond. The ring is unique, but would not work for myself. You have to love it though!

+1

acaw2015

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

Fulvia|1473760344|4075822 said:
lknvrb4|1473759906|4075821 said:

+1

+2

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I think it is really lovely and unique. I love the scalloped halo and the gallery. I don't see any problems with it at all, but you have to love it. If there are issues that bother you, they will probably always bother you and you will never be completely happy with the ring. I would have it re-mady while you can.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

So pretty! I love the gallery! The scalloping is just beautiful!

soxfan

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I LOVE it. I don't think it overshadows your center stone in the LEAST bit. It's elegant and unique and I wouldn't change a thing. This is one of the prettiest e-rings I've seen in a while. Looks beautiful in your finger, too.

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium

While this is not my taste, I think it's a well made ring that that both the craftsman and the wearer can be proud of.

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

soxfan|1473783403|4075901 said:
I LOVE it. I don't think it overshadows your center stone in the LEAST bit. It's elegant and unique and I wouldn't change a thing. This is one of the prettiest e-rings I've seen in a while. Looks beautiful in your finger, too.

Absolutely plus 1 on this!

Beautifully made and very feminine. I think the proportions look great and would look even better in real life.

I would also suggest you leave it as-is for some time before changing it, if that's what you decide to do. I get the sense that you're not 100% clear on what you'd like, which can lead a person to second guess ANYTHING they get. So let yourself sit with it for a bit.

Gorgeous ring.

ETA - Just took a second, long, look. DAYUM that's pretty!!

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I love the side profile, but the view from above isn't my favourite. I agree it looks warm, but I don't mind it at all!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

If you had just posted this without asking for comments and expressing your own concern, I would have just said your ring is beautiful, because it is! I will go into a little more detail on my thoughts below.

But first, one thing struck me as unusual in your initial post. You said that DK uses the same bench for u-cut pave that Victor Canera does. I wondered about that, so I emailed and asked Victor. He said is is 100% certain that he does not use the same bench as DK for pave. He is not sure why there is a misperception, but he knows it for a fact. I just think it is important for that information to be correct so others aren't mislead in that regard.

That said, the ring you have looks like it has lovely workmanship! I really like that style halo! With the milgrain and general style, I might personally like it better with an antique style diamond as opposed to a modern cut, but I do think your stone looks pretty in it. Design wise, I might also prefer a stone with curved edges like an oval or cushion with a scalloped halo. I'd also have curved elements in the gallery with the top halo being scalloped instead of diamond/kite shaped.

I think a J radiant is always going to show some color in a halo and most Js do. If you used whiter melee stones, it would just make the center appear to show more color. I'd just embrace the color!

I can't see the real close up details, but overall, I really do think it is a beautiful ring! I don't see anything that makes me think it should be remade. You did have CADs before going forward with making the ring, right? Does the finished ring differ from your CADs?

CravingDiamonds

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

This is really stunning. Love this!

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Diamondseeker -

David Klass and Singlestone use the same setter. OP might have mixed those two up.

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I think it is unique and lovely. Very pretty on your hand and I love that the band sits flush.

FYI - As Mrs-b said, DK does use the same setter as Singlestone.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

mrs-b|1473803154|4076039 said:
Diamondseeker -

David Klass and Singlestone use the same setter. OP might have mixed those two up.

Ah, yes, I have heard that before, so maybe that was it!

Fancygems

Brilliant_Rock

I love how you made your ring your own. :appl:

Sagefemme

Shiny_Rock

I like it too. Unique, feminine, and the overall appearance is of a larger stone. I think you should wear it for a bit and see if it grows on you.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I kind of wish I could go back and delete/edit part of my post, but I wanted to explain that I wasn't totally sure what you don't like about the ring. If you were going to have it remade, I was just trying to help you think through all the elements so that you could change whatever the things are that you don't like. If you really just wanted affirmation that it is beautiful, I am sorry and I should have stopped with that! I do like the scallops and the gallery. It really is a beautiful ring and I do not think the color of the diamond is unattractive at all!

lissyflo

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

Add me as another who thinks it's gorgeous, especially the basket and side profile views.

luckyblackcat

Shiny_Rock
Premium

Unique and feminine are exactly the words I'd use, too! There are so many details to love about this ring, but I think the slightly graduated diamonds on the band are an especially lovely touch. The scalloped halo does distort the shape of the center diamond, but I don't think this is necessarily a bad thing. I agree with the suggestions that you should give the ring a chance!

bugbear

Shiny_Rock

The scalloped edge is so pretty and I like the elongated shape. I'd be proud to own such a unique ring. I wouldn't change a thing about it!

derbygal

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I have to say I really love this halo. I've never seen anything like it. I think it gives you wonderful finger coverage. I wouldn't change a thing!

motownmama

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I think it's very elegant

I think your center stone blends into the halo.

I think if there are things that bother you now they'll keep bugging you down the line.

chamomiletea

Rough_Rock

I think it is a really beautiful ring. The workmanship and attention to detail is really stunning. I think it looks really lovely from every angle. The angle you aren't sure of... from an artists perspective in my mind it is because the scallop is rounded and your stone has corners. They are too opposing shapes trying to work together. However that isn't necessarily a bad thing and it is part of what makes it unique.
I think it is obviously a very special ring, try not too over think it too much and enjoy it :).

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results