shape
carat
color
clarity

My new cushion "downgrade"!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

lizz

Brilliant_Rock
Well, I decided to go to our favorite B&M jewelry store today with my husband and trade in my emerald cut (H, VS1, 1.58 ct) for a cushion cut (I, SI2, 1.08) with halo. Don't know the halo weight since they didn't have the details yet. They just got a bunch of cushions in, and the paperwork had not yet arrived. It has a GIA lab report, though, which they'll send to me when it arrives. I went down in carat weight, color, and clarity, but I am so happy! It looks like the way the older cushions are cut, sort of chunky. I always liked the older-cut cushions, as opposed to the modern brilliant ones. I guess I like the old-fashioned look better. I love the claw prongs on it! I have been wanting claw prongs for some time. It is platinum. I thought it was a Ritani, but the diamond is set in prongs, not in a bezel like Ritani does. I love the thinness of the band.

The emerald-cut ring was blobby on my hand. I like this ring because it is delicate, sparkly, has dimension, and is more in proportion to my hand. There were just too many things about the other ring I did not like. My husband and the jewelry store manager both liked my old ring better, but the manager said it's me who has to be happy since I am wearing it! I realize we took a loss on this because it was an even trade (no money back), but as my husband pointed out, I did wear the other ring for 9 months. He had bought it for our anniversary last year. At the time, I was drawn to cushions and asschers/square emeralds, but more to the asschers. I ended up with a 7.04 mm x 6.40 mm emerald-cut stone (close enough to square emerald). I ended up not liking it because it did not have the sparkle I wanted. It had a great glassy, mirror-like effect, but not exactly what I wanted. I have envied Gwyneth Paltrow's ring since I first saw it. It's a cushion with a halo and pave. I saw a ring like that at this same B&M last year when my husband and I bought the emerald cut, and I had been thinking about it recently. I woke up this morning and decided it was time to make a trade. Luckily, my husband and I both had the day off.

What do you all think? Because of the halo, it's bigger than my last ring. I'll post my old ring first.

lizz5656.jpg

lizz

Brilliant_Rock
Flower shot.

lizz51.jpg

XChick03

Brilliant_Rock
Oh, I LOVE it! You hardly ever hear of downgrades, but this one is just gorgeous!!
30.gif

lizz

Brilliant_Rock
Another flower shot.

lizz52.jpg

lizz

Brilliant_Rock
I like this one with the grass in the background.

lizz53.jpg

lizz

Brilliant_Rock
Side shot.

lizz54.jpg

lizz

Brilliant_Rock
Profile shot.

lizz55.jpg

lizz

Brilliant_Rock
A rock in the foreground and rocks in the background.
2.gif
DF

lizz56.jpg

lizz

Brilliant_Rock
It looks so white and bright here.

lizz57.jpg

lizz

Brilliant_Rock
I like the countertop background here.

lizz58.jpg

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Both rings are beautiful, but I LOVE the new one! I wouldn''t consider that a "downgrade" at all!

lizz

Brilliant_Rock
I love this flower shot. My ring fell in the dirt many times to get this. It was grossing me out that my NEW RING was getting so dusty and dirty! All for you, my fellow PS''ers
21.gif

lizz59.jpg

lizz

Brilliant_Rock
Another flower shot in my husband''s rose garden.

lizz60.jpg

lizz

Brilliant_Rock
My dog''s favorite toy. Had to get a shot with the elephant. Tried to get a shot on my dog, but that didn''t work out too well. Guess she has to be sleeping for that to happen.

lizz61.jpg

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
Wowee Lizz - I love it! The stone looks so wonderful in that setting - and the setting looks delicate and very well done! Beautiful!!!!!

lizz

Brilliant_Rock
Another.

lizz62.jpg

lizz

Brilliant_Rock
Side shot.

lizz63.jpg

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Lizz,

This is too funny. I swear we must be living parallel lives or something. My Sweetie & I were at a jewelry store near us today, finally getting around to re-tightening my prongs and I swear to you ... one other ring jumped out at me and was the one "e-ring" type ring I tried on.

A "cushette" with a halo EXACTLY LIKE YOURS, smooth sides and all ... (but bezel, not claw prongs) ... PROBABLY the same size & color too. CRAZY! Cushettes are princess-like cushions I guess ... very pretty but not "vintage" looking like yours.

Now I loved it .. but it''s not for me. I was a Cushion or Asscher gal too ... but I''m still just more partial to Asschers & ABSOLULTELY in love with mine.

May be making a slight other adjustment to the ring - but I''ll say more later. No hijacksies! ANYWAY -- I just thought, considering our similar tastes & rings etc that it was too much of a coincidence not to mention.

LOVE your new sparkly on you!!! And I wouldn''t call it a "downgrade" AT ALL. It''s an "upgrade" to PERFECT FOR YOU! Congrats!! More pix!! Have a scanner ??
31.gif
31.gif

W2W

Rough_Rock
Oh I love it! I am a huge cushion fan and love seeing pictures of them You 2nd flower shot is my favorite. The ring looks great on you!!!!!! IMO, it''s an upgrade
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
Lizz...it is stunning and elegant. You should call the one photo "a rock in the foreground and rocks in the background"! I do not think you really downgraded as someone else also pointed out...it is stunning and if you love it more, it is your hand. It is nice your husband understands! What kind of dog do you have? We just got a puppy and she shredded those stuffed toys, had to buy those tough rubber things instead!!! Congrats, you have a nice husband, and most importantantly, wear it in good health!

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow it really is hard to call that a downgrade! Sounds like what you wanted all along. It certainly has more bling than the old stone so I could see why you would want to make the trade. Good for you - can''t believe you just woke up this morning and decided to do it! Nothing like a girl who knows what she wants.

Will you wear your platinum band with it?

Enjoy - it is beautiful!

AndyRosse

Ideal_Rock
Oh, I love it!! I''m just glad you are finally happy!

MissAva

Ideal_Rock
30.gif
OH WOW!!!!!
30.gif
LOVE IT!
36.gif

lizz

Brilliant_Rock
Deco! Love your new avatar. No, I don''t have a scanner but love those scanner pics, ESPECIALLY the halos!
21.gif
I like cushettes too.

I thought of you when we left the jewelry store today actually. We had to come back in an hour because they were trying to track down the GIA paperwork and size the ring. So we went to the mall where my setting just like yours, Deco, was. If you remember, I had taken it to the Fast Fix Jewelry Repair store. I originally took my old emerald cut there to have it set in the deco setting. They said the head would not fit the stone but would order another one. I thought they meant they were ordering the EXACT head as the original setting. They ordered a V-prong princess head (for a square emerald?). So my husband and I said O.K., just go with it. Well, they tried but then said my stone was irregularly shaped and would not fit that head. Then the manager tried to tell me my ring was just fine the way it was, why did I want to change it, it was more secure in the platinum setting I already had, BLAH BLAH BLAH. It was irritating me. So they said the setter would just put the old head back in. Well, he didn''t get it done in time and we had to go to Cirque du Soleil that night, so we just said we''d pick it up another day. Today was the day we picked up the setting like yours. They MANGLED the prongs. The setter took all the little diamonds out of the prong tips and put them in a ZIP-LOCK BAG for us. Can you believe it? It''s irreparably ruined. But that''s O.K. I am happy with my new ring, and my husband wants to someday get a new stone for that other setting (and a new head, of course). But anyway, I digress . . . .

I want to hear more about your story about how your ring will be changing, though.

Thanks everyone for all your positive comments!

lumpkin

Ideal_Rock
Not that I didn''t like your other ring, because I did, but I REALLY like this one!!! I think it''s got a lot more bling, but it''s still got a delicate band. So nice. I like the vintage look of the cushion, too.
30.gif

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/14/2006 10:56:10 PM
Author: lizz
my husband wants to someday get a new stone for that other setting (and a new head, of course). But anyway, I digress . . . .

Hmmmm
31.gif
. Well if my project works out we''ll have to be in touch about that. A certain wax is being made right now to try to fill that whole u-shaped divet between the fishtail parts. Kinda like the attached picture of another P-scoper''s recent beauty. If it works - the mold will already be made if you want to do the same!!

p.s. -- Don''t be sad about the ruined prongs -- in action they just were too pointy & caught on stuff - not worth the pretty appearance from a practical standpoint. Also, my stone was too big for it too - so the prongs were beyond their maximum strength point, and with all the "catching" & bumping - they kept coming loose. Ya dodged a tiny sparkly bullet with that one!

p.p.s. -- Totally wish there was PM to talk about this more!

sideinspiration.jpg

bstraszheim

Brilliant_Rock
Lizz, what a beautiful, beautiful ring! It looks gorgeous on your hand as well. I adore the flower shots! Wear it in the best of health!

I wish you well,

Bridget

lizz

Brilliant_Rock
Missgotrocks, that''s a good question. Will I be wearing the band with my new ring? I don''t think so. I was originally going to get a pave band (my husband loved that idea, sarcastically said due to more $) to go with it. But DH and I kind of like it without a band for now. I don''t know yet. You''re right, I guess I loved this style of ring all along. Thousands of dollars later . . .

I just louped my ring with a 30x loupe. I can''t notice any inclusions, and I sure couldn''t see any without the loupe. Maybe they gave me the wrong stone, one that is cleaner? I''m sure that happens all the time in the diamond business
1.gif
Oops, we gave the customer a bigger, cleaner stone than we thought! I''ll wait for the GIA plot to see where the inclusions are.

Diamondfan, we have two dogs (and two cats). We have a black lab and a husky/eskie mix. The black lab loves stuffed toys. She does not usually shred her toys. She gingerly licks them, bites them, but doesn''t do serious damage (usually). She''s so cute. She''s 2 years old, but she''s like a big puppy. She is very possessive of her stuffed animals and seemed upset when I took her elephant to put it on top of the couch to take a photo. You''re right about my husband being understanding, though. A lot of guys would not feel that way. He just wants me to be happy. He is so sweet, which is why I married him in the first place. Surprisingly, I didn''t have any regret about handing over that old ring. The sentiment is tied to my husband, not to a ring. Maybe not everyone feels that way, but I do.

Matatora, I was so inspired by all your pics (and checked out that camera you have too). So I took a lot. I actually had a ridiculous number, something like 82. I said this is ridiculous, I can''t post 82 pics of my ring on PS. So I narrowed it down a lot. I was telling my husband today in the car about your car shots driving down the road.

Deco, it is so funny you posted that ring! I love that ring. When I first saw it, I thought that is one of the prettiest rings I have seen! I am not exactly sure what you mean about filling in between the fishtails. You mean the head on the ring you posted will be like your new head? With octet prongs? If so, that will be lovely. In fact, at one time I considered just having my old head and emerald cut put in the new setting. But I thought the prongs on the deco setting were what made it so pretty. I like how they square off the stone. The prongs were just so different. But I had the same thought about the impracticality of the prongs. I''m glad you''re switching to something you will be happy with. I hear ya about PM''ing. I tried to PM someone in February, I think it was. It wasn''t working and was driving me nuts. So I messaged admin and they said there are no longer PMs. Does anyone know why? I know on DT awhile back, there was a danger about people PM''ing others to try to scam them into buying non-diamonds (which they represented to be diamonds), or something like that.

My husband asked me if I learned any lessons about buying that setting like yours, Deco. I said I learned not to buy a setting on the internet. He said, No the lesson is to not buy a setting without the diamond already in it. In my case, it didn''t work since the head of the deco setting was just not made to fit square emerald cuts. But I love the setting and will use it in the future in some way. I am going to post a band I think would go with your ring. It''s from signed pieces.

Now I have hijacked my own thread.
9.gif

3630 facets.jpg

ello

Brilliant_Rock
Liz Wow – it’s really beautiful! Sounds like your hubby is such a wonderful and sweet person…and so supportive! I love your previous setting but I must agree with you that the new setting looks daintier and softens the look on your hand that is very beautiful!
30.gif

kathleenmv

Shiny_Rock
Oooooooooooooooooo...Lizz, I LOVE it!! Just beautiful.
30.gif
'');" alt="Insert smilie
30.gif
" src="http://www.pricescope.com/idealbb/images/smilies/30.gif" border="0"> And great pictures to boot!

I''m thinking of doing something very similar: swapping my three-stone Jubilee for a halo dealie (just like yours, as a matter of fact!) Must be something in the air...Change, I guess!
3.gif
'');" height=15 alt="Insert smilie
3.gif
" src="http://www.pricescope.com/idealbb/images/smilies/3.gif" width="15 border=0">

Anyway...enjoy that beauty!
36.gif
'');" alt="Insert smilie
36.gif
" src="http://www.pricescope.com/idealbb/images/smilies/36.gif" align="absMiddle border=0">

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results