shape
carat
color
clarity

My New Baby: To Tsav or Not to Tsav?

Kalynna

Rough_Rock
I believe I finally have a piece worth starting a thread about! I was browsing eBay and found a unique vintage 18k gold sapphire cocktail ring. I loved the style, and I was intrigued by the center sapphire, which looked to be a good velvet blue. The seller said they were "pretty sure" the sapphire was real, but had no information on it :confused2: So I pulled the trigger anyway, fully intending to return if it didn't work. Here's the seller photo:

1654821318439.png

Once in hand, I was amazed at the heft of the piece and how the halo stones GLOWED! They seriously look like little light bulbs in certain lights. However, I couldn't see any inclusions in the center sapphire and figured it was either lab made or another synthetic. Plus the style of the ring left it completely dead.

I took it to my jeweler, who is usually pretty "meh" about the stuff I drag in for him to look at, but he was seriously impressed by the workmanship of the ring. He said that it was reminiscent of early-to-mid century VcA and Tiffany quality, plus the prong tips are actually platinum. He thinks the sapphire is lab-made, which is a bummer, but I had already made up my mind that I would keep it and repurpose the setting.

I thought I'd go through my to-be-set stones to find something else to put in it, but instead, I impulse-bought a diamond that my jeweler suggested :lol: He thought that a warm champagne diamond would look nice, and as soon as he pulled it out, I was in love. It's VVS, C2, and at .99 ct, I could afford it! We went forward in swapping the stones out. Here's the original sapphire in daylight and the finished product:

PXL_20220609_234343507.PORTRAIT.jpg PXL_20220609_232921677.PORTRAIT.jpg PXL_20220605_034818562.PORTRAIT.jpg

It's hard to capture the warmth and fire of the diamond - it seems to photograph a bit grey, but it's a lot more "champagne" IRL.

Now for the question! My jeweler also suggested replacing the halo stones (which also appear to be lab sapphires) with something green like tsavorites. If I do it, I would keep these stones and use them for another project. I'll probably keep it as-is for the short run since I've been investing in a lot of projects lately (eek!), but I wanted to get your all of your thoughts and suggestions on the halo stones!

Big congrats on your new ring and diamond!! The sapphire halo is very pretty, but if the stones are indeed lab-created, and you're not a fan, I think vivid green tsavs would look fabulous!!
smitten.gif

ItsMainelyYou

Ideal_Rock
Ooh, I dunno, lab or no, that halo is poppin'. I also love a diamond with color!
I'd be of a mind to keep it as is, myself.

Atwater

Brilliant_Rock
I agree with others that the halo is nice as it is. I would say leave it unless you prefer green over blue or you are really bothered by synthetic stones.

Kalynna

Rough_Rock
Thanks for your kind words and advice, everyone! I'm not personally bothered by synthetic stones. I only recently learned through PS that they've been making synthetic corundum for a very long time, which is pretty neat!

I think I'll leave it as it is, unless I win the lottery and demantoid garnets are on the table as an option

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don’t see how tsavorite replacing the sapphire would make your ring any nicer, unless YOU love green that much. Keep it as is. It’s beautiful, enjoy!!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks for your kind words and advice, everyone! I'm not personally bothered by synthetic stones. I only recently learned through PS that they've been making synthetic corundum for a very long time, which is pretty neat!

I think I'll leave it as it is, unless I win the lottery and demantoid garnets are on the table as an option

Demantoid melee that size isn’t super expensive, especially if African, I think you’ll end up paying more for the setting fees. The sapphire is way more durable, especially if you had to reset them with platinum tips.

Kalynna

Rough_Rock
@T L That's an excellent point! I always thought demantoid was super expensive, but Yvonne Raley just posted some African melee stones in her shop that are about $8 each on sale. Always so much to learn!

But yes, I'm set on the sapphires. They're something special, at least to me

Last edited:
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results