shape
carat
color
clarity

My new ammy!

TheElms

Shiny_Rock
Hi all,

A while back i ordered an amethyst from Jeff Davies. I had no real idea what to expect. Well it finally arrived (I think it's been almost 2 months). But its ok because I really like it! I took just a couple quick pictures under office lighting. To my eye in real life the ammy is a little brighter than the pictures show but not quite as bright as the vendor's pictures show. It is a strong purple in real life with pink and blue flashes. So I wanted to show everyone. The price was really reasonable and the stats are in the vendor's original picture. IMG_1230.jpg IMG_0189.JPG IMG_0190.JPG IMG_0191.JPG

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
:lickout: Grape Jelly

Jeff does really great cutting. No faulting him there. The pictures can be a bit hard to read sometimes though. I think the general consensus is rely on video if available.

I looks gorgeous though! whats the plans? I'm thinking out loud but maybe a halo of pale pink sapphires if not terribly expensive. Aside from that, perfect candidate for RG;-)

TheElms

Shiny_Rock
So the plan is actually a three stone necklace of some sort. I have a mahenge garnet from Gene that is about 7mm. The original inspiration is the picture below, but I'm not sure how committed I am to that and I'd still need to find a third stone -- currently thinking a purplish or pinkish grey spinel. Definitely thinking rose gold. I had also doodled some pendant ideas that would involve more rose gold in a sort of long triangular shape with the stones placed randomly in the pendant. 3+Stone+Amethyst-Lt+Rose-Cy+Opal+Necklace+A.jpg

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Very pretty amethyste! I like your necklace inspiration. Maybe the third stone could be a bright spessie?

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
thats a great idea! Are your dimensions roughly the same? if so, could work very well! I like the proportion the inspiration necklace.

TheElms

Shiny_Rock
If I recall correctly the stones in the inspiration necklace were 14 mm, 10mm, and 6mm. So mine are close at 7mm and 10mm. I think I could either find a 14mm (but that is likely not to be budget friendly) or go smaller and find something around 4mm. Jeff Davies has a couple of nice purply-grey spinels that are 4.5 mm but they aren't completely round and I don't know if that bothers me.

@LisaRN do spessies come in colors other than orange? I'm not sure orange would go so well with pink and purple. I think I need to stay more towards cool colors.

chatoyancy

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Your amethyst is beautiful! I can see the pink and blue flashes. I have a color suggestion, green. I am planning to buy a Uruguayan amethyst to go into a ring and I would like to buy demantoid garnets to go next to it. I think the right colored tsavorites or even tourmalines would go as well. Anyway, I've always liked purple and green together. Have fun planning! It is a lovely stone!

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@LisaRN do spessies come in colors other than orange? I'm not sure orange would go so well with pink and purple. I think I need to stay more towards cool colors.[/QUOTE].

I have some Nigerian spessies that are very bright yellow/orange. Here is an Ammy, pink tourmaline and smaller spessie pic for a visual. Sorry but the tourmaline shifts to peach under LED light. Of course it is a personal preference - we all need to go with what we love. :)

TheElms

Shiny_Rock
So this looks much better than I imagined, but I think it works because your pink tourmaline seems to have a yellow or orange undertone. My mahenge garnet does have some orange flashes but its not really and undertone. When its not flashing it reads pretty magenta. Hence thinking I might need to stick with cool colors. So still think I'm thinking about a grey or mauve spinel or maybe a bluer tanzanite or spinel would work. No rush though!

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love your design idea. For that matter, I lover your amethyst. The great thing about a pendant/necklace is that you can use stones lower in hardness. Cool colors? teal tourmaline? green grossular garnet? I'd say go for sphene, but its dispersion would steal the show.

Look at stone combinations you like. For me, the ones that work are combinations where the stones have similar levels of saturation, or color intensity. Conversely, in general, I'm not too fond of combinations where one stone is very brightly colored and others are extremely light in tone or brownish. A grey spinel would be dicey, but it might work if it is a well cut medium toned grey, not too dark, not too light. Even so, the ammie would likely end up being the star of the show.

I can't wait to see what you do - love to see your color combos!

TheElms

Shiny_Rock
I like the idea of a teal tourmaline especially if it leaned more blue than green.

TheElms

Shiny_Rock
So I'm sourcing a third stone for my necklace and I have some candidates. First a picture of the two stones I have in the orientation I plan to use them. From left to right: mahenge spinel about 7.5 mm from, ammy about 10 mm.
IMG_4831.JPG

Now the options. They are from left to right: zircon, tanzanite, teal spinel, and a tourmaline (the vendor would source a round one in the same color for me). They are all around 5mm.
Third stone option.jpg

I'm leaning towards the tanzanite or the teal spinel. Thoughts?

IslandBB

Shiny_Rock
So I'm sourcing a third stone for my necklace and I have some candidates. First a picture of the two stones I have in the orientation I plan to use them. From left to right: mahenge spinel about 7.5 mm from, ammy about 10 mm.
IMG_4831.JPG

Now the options. They are from left to right: zircon, tanzanite, teal spinel, and a tourmaline (the vendor would source a round one in the same color for me). They are all around 5mm.
Third stone option.jpg

I'm leaning towards the tanzanite or the teal spinel. Thoughts?
Lovely project. Interesting, my first impression was also tanzanite or teal spinel and my second look said teal spinel. I think the tone of the teal spinel keeps the trio "cool" and the colors very complimentary. For some reason it's very "fall" to me- well could be "spring" too, great rich colors. Whatever you choose I think it'll look awesome!

TheElms

Shiny_Rock
I'm indecisive and the vendor is super considerate. She is going to send me all three and I will return the ones I don't prefer. Still torn between the tanz and the spinel but I love how sparkly the zircon is as well.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'd ditch the Mahenge spinel and go with the teal and the tanzanite. Haha, I'm no help at all, am I? o_O:)):confused:

TheElms

Shiny_Rock
I'd ditch the Mahenge spinel and go with the teal and the tanzanite. Haha, I'm no help at all, am I? o_O:)):confused:

I just realized I mistyped -- its a mahenge garnet. Its really pretty in real life. I don't think the picture does it justice. But I do like the color combo you suggest, but I think the proportions of the stones would be off. I'd need a bigger tanzy, which might be more money than I want to spend. Ahh minoux you are terrible!:love::love:

TheElms

Shiny_Rock
wee! All the options are coming to me this week I think. I'll start a new thread with all the potential combos once they arrive.

In less exciting news my attempt to commission a silver grey emerald cut spinel flopped. The recut came back with a huge window so TGP and I did not move forward with that stone. More hunting to come.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results