shape
carat
color
clarity

My long journey with my first OEC from LAD

dkata

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
At the end of last year I realized, that I'm going to have the funds to purchase my first oec in January. I began to search casually, but I really was not sure, if I even want to purchase anything quickly, or if I just should enjoy the period of search. As you can assume, the search haven't lost long, because I knew where I should look: LAD, OWD or JbG.
At the end of december 2016 I just browsed LAD website, and found an oec, which seemed to be a good find. A lower color (N), but with the size I wanted, i.e. around 9 mm, and most important within my budget. I opened a thread in Rocky Talky
[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/my-first-oec-what-do-you-think.227782/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/my-first-oec-what-do-you-think.227782/[/URL]
and some of you pointed out, that I should look in person at lower colored stones, because I may not like it. As this option is not possible where I live, I contacted also Adam at OWD, and asked him, which diamond he could suggest me within my budget. He sent me pictures from a really nice stone, but somehow I think I liked the facet patter from the other one from LAD too much.
So I bit the bullet - not knowing how I would like N color - and ordered the stone from Erica. It arrived within a few days.

At first as I opened the box, I really liked what I saw. A big stone with big chunky facets and a buttery color. At that point I knew, although I see color very well, but I like it! It is not yellow, but really a nice buttery color. Unfortunately we still haven't had any sunny days here, I haven't seen it in the sun, but I can't wait.

Then my journey with the setting begun. As I spent all my funds to the stone, I had to keep the price of the setting low. I was looking for a simple four prong white gold setting, to showcase the stone. At first I wanted to order a JA setting with the 25 % Valentines Day Promotion, but unfortunately JA refused to sell me the setting. You can find a thread about that Story, too.

At last I contacted Erica once more for a Stuller setting. She quouted me a good price for a 14k 4 prong setting, and I just placed my order. Unfortunately it took 2 weeks for the setting to arrive to Erica because of the bad weather, o it was quite a long waiting period, but at the end I got it last week.

As soon as I got the setting, I took it to a jeweler near to us, and asked them to set my stone. You won't believe, but it cost me 150 euro to set my oec!! It is ridiculous! And they even told me, that my 2 mm shank setting is too delicate for such a big stone, so they can not give me a warranty! At first I was really angry, but I just asked them to do they job, and don't judge the quality of the setting.
After one week yesterday they called me, that my ring is ready! And of course I just went there, and picked it up.

It is really just a plain wg solitaire, but I really like the outcome. I think the setter did a good job, and she setted the stone as low as possible.

Down the road I would like to have a CvB setting, but at first I have to collect the funds, and decide, what I really could imagine for this stone.

And a few pictures:

img_15344.jpg

img_15345.jpg

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Beautiful and congratulations! :love: :appl: So happy you found the OEC and ring of your dreams! :appl:

dkata

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Thank you missy! Some more pictures for your viewing pleasure:

I think here you can really see the color difference, as my eternity is F-G color. I think it is also too much, and maybe the color difference would bother me:

img_15346.jpg

img_15347.jpg

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Beautiful diamond! :love: And I love how that particular setting allows you to admire the OEC from the side so well! Many, many congrats! :appl: :appl:

dkata

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
JoCoJenn - thank you! This was, what I aimed for! To showcase the diamond, because I already have a one carat and a 1.72 ct round in halo. I just felt the desire to have a solitaire! That way I can enjoy my halo if I want, and on other days just wear a plain solitaire.

bunnycat

Ideal_Rock
It's beautiful dkata! Congrats on finding such a lovely stone and seeing your journey through! (I too recently found that JA won't sell a setting on its own....too bad so sad. I had to take my $$ elsewhere...)

Bonfire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Very nice choices dkata! Enjoy wearing that beauty! I love the look with your RG half eternity band :love:

kathley

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Your ring is beautiful! Love it!

ac117

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Stunning! :love: Great presence on your hand, too!

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
LOVELY!! I like the cut very much.

Yimmers

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Love the OEC! I feel you on the setting deal. I want an EW setting, but I need to save up the funds for it too.

soxfan

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It looks beautiful in that setting! I love stuller settings, I really do. That is a perfect setting for it until you save up for a custom one!

EvaEvans

Shiny_Rock
Premium
The cost of setting a diamond depends of the mounting's metal, the kind of the ring head/number of prongs/bezel, the size and the price of the diamond. To set a diamond in a ring is not cheap in the USA either. I think that your local jeweler did a good job and now your diamond looks even prettier! Enjoy it!

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
dkata, congratulations! Your stone is beautiful and the setting is very lovely. I definitely showcases that beautiful OEC. But I do want to say that I am a little nervous about your setting. The prongs look big and sturdy, and have a lovely flow. But I do notice that coming over the top of the stone, there is not much prong. And it's a four prong without any basket to reinforce it. It's gorgeous, no doubt. I would recommend that when you choose your final setting to get one that has a bit more prong coming over the top or a basket, unless the artisan that makes it says it's enough to keep it in there. You've got a big rock and I would want to feel a little more secure about it. Sorry, maybe I'm just a nervous type.

poshmommy

Brilliant_Rock
Congrats! It looks really beautiful! I wouldn't guess it was an N!

poshmommy

Brilliant_Rock
Congrats! It looks really beautiful! I wouldn't guess it was an N!

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Congrats, beautiful stone!!!!

Tekate

Ideal_Rock
Premium
No words! just drooling... :) :love: :love: :love: :love:

dkata

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Thank you all for your nice comments! I enjoyed wearing it today. We had some sunshine even, it was beautiful!

LLJsmom - I know, this setting is surely not the most possible secure, but I really wanted a real solitaire to be able to see the side of the diamond. What made me angry, that the jeweler told me at first, that the setting and even the prongs are too thin and flimsy, and at that point I couldn't agree with him. And I knew shy he told it...they quoted me 1600 euro for the same setting in 18 k, and as he asked, how much the setting was, as I dropped the stone off for setting, he just stared at me, as I told him 500 euro incl. tax.

Regarding forever setting I have to make up my mind. I really would like to have a solitaire but the mean halo monster is calling my name...and that would mean I would need an other solitaire! :angel:

foxinsox

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oooh I love that stone - you would so not know it's an N! It'll be great to see how you set it. Enjoy wearing it and admire that lovely profile :love:

Confection10

Brilliant_Rock
:appl: :appl: I love Your ring :appl: :appl:

ericad

Ideal_Rock
Trade
It looks gorgeous on you! I'm sorry the setting took a week longer than expected - Stuller typically takes about a week to arrive, but delivery was scheduled during a big snowstorm here, plus bad weather elsewhere, so the box was returned to Stuller and reshipped, hence the delay. I had even paid for expedited service if you can imagine!

Many local jewelers aren't used to the more dainty rings which are popular now, but the setting is certainly well made and will hold up until you're ready for a forever setting for your beautiful OEC. I'm so happy you bought that diamond - it's one of my favorites to date, so I'm glad it's in a great home! Enjoy it for a lifetime of health and happiness!

dkata

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Dear Erica - at first thank you once more for that beautiful OEC! You made a dream come true! With the setting I knew it was not your fault but because of the snow storm the shipping took longer than expected, and the waiting is so hard! I'm sure you know it very well!
I know, that the setting is very well made, really good quality, so I don't care what the local jeweler told me!
I hope to bug from you in the future a diamond for a pendant but it could take some time!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you for the new photos. Your ring is TDF and a creation of GORGEOUS perfection!!! :love: :love: :love:

dkata

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Missy, Confection10, diamondseeker, foxinsox - thank you for all your nice comments!

I have my oec for one week now, and I wear it every day. My other rings are all in our deposit box. At this moment this is my favourite ring, my one, that rules them all! What I found interesting, that I have found myself liking it the most alone, I mean without any band. Now I wear it as it would be usual at our country, engagement ring right, wedding band left hand.

Wedding band:

New upgrade:

img_15475.jpg

img_15477.jpg

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I know the feeling dkata. When I first received my OEC, it demanded it's own finger real estate and would not share. It's a gorgeous stone that is so bright and sparkly and just loud (in a good way), especially compared to my MRB. At least that is how I saw it.

Congratulations. Your ring is just stunning!!

JDDN

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gorgeous OEC!!! :love:

Enjoy your solitaire, it's simply stunning.

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Absolutely gorgeous diamond and ring!!! :love: :love: :love: It's perfection on you, congratulations! :appl:

dkata

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I mean it sounds silly, but I live the life of a new oec owners. What does it mean!? I observe my diamond in every possible lightning condition! Today I went for a walk with my daughter, and we had a beautiful sunny day! The first one for weeks! And I just enjoyed the sights. I made a few pictures and I found it stunning, that the stone almost looked like it had fluorescent, although it doesn't. Than I realized once I've read here, that oec's can reflect the blue of the sky! It was beautiful:

And an obligatory fire shot:

I hope you all have a sunny blingy day!

img_15504.jpg

img_15505.jpg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results