shape
carat
color
clarity

My JXR collection

Haywood74

Shiny_Rock
This is most of my JXR collection. I have 2 others that I have posted photos on here already of them, so I didn't put them in this photo. Since I couldn't find the original emails telling the exact weights of the gems, I am going to put what I think they are from memory (George, if you read this, please feel free to chime in with corrections). Also, please keep in mind these things are TOUGH to photograph, at least they are for me for me. I snapped this photo in a pitch black room with a flash
23.gif
Face up in in daylight, they are all deep purple in color, except for the 4th stone which is more of a lavender colored one. The cut quality in ALL of them are much better than what I usually see in jewelry stores for colored stuff. All of the roughs for these gems were sourced by our resident amethyst expert AmethystGuy!

Ok, going left to right. First, a "large square cushion" by George Ellis at 13 cts. Next is a 3ct. "emarald cushion" again by George Ellis. Next is a 7ct "scissor" emerald cut by George Ellis. Up next is a lighter shade 2ct "Americana" cut by Bob Kast. Finally, another 9 ct "large square cushion" by George Ellis.

I look forward to comments and or questions!

oie_goodone.jpg

ma re

Ideal_Rock
Nice pieces, that scissor cut seems especially beautiful!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That 7 ct rectangular JXR really stands out with outstanding colour and cutting! I'm impressed that you are able to photograph it in such a dark room with only the flash. What a novel idea.

oddoneout

Ideal_Rock
Nice collection. Amethysts are one of my favourites.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Nice collection. I really like the rectangle, but the large cushion on the left isn''t too shabby either. Do they have red flash in certain lighting, or are they more blue?

Haywood74

Shiny_Rock
Thanks for the replies. They appear more blue to me than they do red, although there is a hint of red in the smaller of the large cushions. I know in the pic that they appear to have a light blue hue to them, but personally speaking, the large cushions on the outside have the best color. I think there was just a hair more flash going into them than the scissor cut, so they washed out just a bit. For some reason the scissor cut in the middle photographed better than the others. I guess I got just the right angle on it, but the others look just as good or better when in your hand. As far as shooting it in the dark, it''s the only thing I have found that gets close to the right look as they appear in real life.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
i''m getting a really almost impossible resist urge to buy amethyst! purple candy!

mz

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
Gorgeous! I''m also finding it difficult to resist purchasing an amethyst.

gsellis

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Hey "Haywood".

I have 3, 7, 11 and I think the last was 13. And I think the 7 was 7.9. I lost track. I can''t remember as I had another in the same range :) I think the last Diamond Hill I cut was near 15. No telling how big the ones I am doing are going to be. One is 18mm and the other is 22 for one of the members of DRH. Those have some inclusions as the goal is doorknobs.

Barrett

Ideal_Rock
figured since ken is my buddy i would thread jack a little..lol
here is another one i never posted..13cts I think..has a fingerprint across the table. as in figerprint I mean fingerprint inclusion..not my fingerprint.if I remember correctly this one was sent overseas to be cut
Pic was taken under 2 ott fluorescent lights and the LED lights surrounding the lens..oh and I have alreayd seen haywoods. pic and have commented on it..hard to photo gems isn't it..I have come to a conclusion..i have tried photoing the gems like the custome cutters do..tons of photos..i have found that the colored backgrounds like gray and the worst black srew up the camera color sensor..even with adjustments it's much harder to get color to come out right on a colored background..I have been using white and all that needs to be done is WB correcting..the white doesn't screw up the the Bayer, SuperCCD, and the Foveon sensors in the camera..much easier to get correct color right off the bat..that first ampa i posted..i tried my normal photographs with the non direct lighting sitting on black and gray backgrounds and couldn't nail the color from what i saw in person..spent an hour trying to get it right..so went to a gem jar with white or close to white background and BAM..sucker is spot on in color..on both those ampas and this jxr

0043 - 20100427_210238.jpg

Barrett

Ideal_Rock
Here is a JXR next to a Four peaks amethyst..four peaks on the left..cut from old mine rough from years ago..please note both stones are pointed straight up and not angled towards the camera so the shots are not good for looking into the stones..

0052 - 20100427_210741.jpg

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock
Yet another page in the book of Vapid''s Sins of Covetousness.

PumpkinPie

Ideal_Rock
very pretty stones!

Haywood74

Shiny_Rock
Thanks for posting your pics AmGuy....they are VERY close to the same shade and are very representative of the gems in my photos in real life....You are just a MUCH better photographer than me
1.gif

ma re

Ideal_Rock
Very nice photos Amguy!

platinumrock

Ideal_Rock
Beautiful stones!!! I especially love the emerald cushion, it has the best cut and color saturation of them all.
30.gif

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Very pretty.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Am Guy,
Damn! That modified emerald cut JXR really gets me every time I look at it.

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ah those are all very nice stones. Good color and cuts! Great combos. TFS!!
21.gif

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results