shape
carat
color
clarity

My jeweler said I have short pudgy fingers....

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Miss Sparkly

Brilliant_Rock
Anyway, took my two new bands to try to be stretched a bit and the jeweler commented that I should be stacking band because my fingers are too short and pudgy. Now I don''t know what I want to do. Here''s a BAD webcam photo of them a bit too small. does it look horrible? 1/2 carat channel set diamond band in the center with a carved 1.5mm gold band on either side. I should have gone with my normal guy but this one was nearby my work
38.gif

212534[2].jpg

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/9/2010 1:47:49 AM
Author:Sparkly Blonde
Anyway, took my two new bands to try to be stretched a bit and the jeweler commented that I should be stacking band because my fingers are too short and pudgy. Now I don''t know what I want to do. Here''s a BAD webcam photo of them a bit too small. does it look horrible? 1/2 carat channel set diamond band in the center with a carved 1.5mm gold band on either side. I should have gone with my normal guy but this one was nearby my work
38.gif
How rude of him - and how stupid, to say that to a potential client!

Wear what you like, if you want to stack then stack
1.gif
You can''t please everyone, and some people just lack manners.

They do look a little tight - are they uncomfortable? If they are then you should definitely get them loosened - by your regular guy!

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
Well, that jeweler sure doesn''t sound like a good salesman
20.gif

They look uncomfortable to me, are they? I like to wear my rings a smidge loose, because my fingers swell and shrink by quite a bit. I''d rather have them too loose than too tight. I know it''s not as safe, but it''s more comfortable. If my rings were as tight as yours look to be, I would feel very uncomfortable and worry about them being stuck.

Miss Sparkly

Brilliant_Rock
They are too tight. I''m visiting my regular guy tomorrow as I have somebody who wants to see a piece that I have on consignment at his shop so I''ll have him size them then. I told my husband the "pudgy finger" story and he responded that long slender finger wouldn''t match the rest of me
23.gif
LOL! oops, slip of the guy tongue
20.gif
As soon as I get some daylight I''ll take good photos of the carved bands
4.gif

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
It doesn''t look excessively comfortable. The bands look tight. And they might fit perfectly, but if you have tiny bones and your fingers tend toward a little more meat than bone... when you stack bands there can be a bulge. My own fingers do this, which is a bummer, but it is what it is. I can''t say the guy was smart or accurate, and definitely rude (and stupid)... but maybe stacking bands aren''t the most flattering look.

How exactly do you stretch metal? Did you maybe mean sscraped out to make them a bigger size?

Miss Sparkly

Brilliant_Rock
Obviously at almost 1am I have nothing better to do than surf pricescope
3.gif
I''m actually quite large boned and broad shouldered. I''ve seen the tool used and since I can''t link another site here I''ll do a short quote.

Stretching a Ring up is very easy. There''s actually a Tool that Jewelers use that expands your Gold Ring. It''s simply called a Ring Sizer and Stretcher. (See Left Picture) You slip your Ring on to the Mandrel and pull the handle. Easy as that!
The Mandrel has numbers and sizes on the stick, and when you pull the handle, the Mandrel actually opens up and pushes the Ring outwards stretching it in the process. It''s pretty simple and painless. But if it''s not done right... It can be a disaster!

You see, the Mandrel can physically distort your Ring if not done properly. It will leave odd ridges inside your shank and can make your Ring a horrible Octagon-Shape. The Jeweler has to work the Metal slowly and stretch the band ever so slightly. Rotate the Ring, stretch it some more, and repeat. You stretch it a little at a time to expand the Ring and rotating it keeps it a nice Round shape.

GoldfishPie

Rough_Rock
I have pudgy fingers, and I always wear my rings loose enough so that the excess finger fat doesn''t come blobing over. Personally I don''t think it is a good look.

4ever

Ideal_Rock
I think once they fit correctly the stacking bands will look lovely on you.

I always find it funny (and helpful) when a jewler comments on my hands. One told me my skin has to much red undetones to look good with yellow gold and another told me that although my fingers are long, the length of my finger that rings go on is shortish so I should go for thin delecate bands.

A bit rude to comment on the way you choose to wear your jewler though.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have small hands with short podgy fingers too. For that reason I''ve never stacked bands because it makes my fingers look shorter and fatter and I get finger bulge
7.gif
Not a good look for me.

Having said that, you should wear your rings how you like them. Not how the jeweller likes them.

If you are questionning the look now, why don''t you swap the two skinniest bands to the other hand and see what that looks like? If I''m not sure, I tend to take photos and then look at the photos a few days later. It''s amazing what you''ll see in pictures that you don''t pick up on in real life.

reader

Brilliant_Rock
Humm, I wear my stack bands a full size larger because my hands change size a few times a day. I do, however, keep what I call a ''locking'' band with me when I travel. If I have to go someplace chilly where my fingers will shrink, I can slip my normal ring size band with them and keep them from spinning and flying off.

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
I am sorry but those rings look extremely tight to me and not just uncomfortable. Do they come off relatively with ease?

The last time I put on a ring that fit tight - my finance and I spent 2 hours trying to get it off. Never again did I attempt to squeeze a ring on. My finger just started swelling up.

lknvrb4

Ideal_Rock
Your rings do look like they are too tight. I think once you get them sized up you should wear them however you want too. I am shocked a jeweler would say that to a client.
20.gif

clgwli

Brilliant_Rock
I agree that they do look way too tight. I would have them properly sized though, not just stretched.. But the stacking idea isn''t a bad one. If you like it who cares what a jeweler says? That was very rude for them to say. I personally have short fingers an we''ve discussed why certain looks work or don''t work for me, but never anything so rude as that came out of anyone''s mouth.

merrymunky

Brilliant_Rock
What''s the difference between stretching and proper resizing?

Can you have then resized normally?

I was concerned about the width of my wedding band initially due to being a larger lad with a large finger size. My wedding band is 5mm, and with my engagement ring on top, my fingers were swelling badly and I had nasty finger pudge. I had bot rings resized so now my engagement ring is very loose on its own but considering I never wear it on its own it is no problem. Now it is snug against my wedding band withough pushing all the flesh out. I do wonder if I have room for an eternity ring there one day though as my fingers are hardly slender.

I have a plain thinner wb i could wesr in that eventuality.

I think the jeweller was extremely rude to you though. It''s NOT their choice.

Miss Sparkly

Brilliant_Rock
I''m going to get them sized normally and stack them without the diamond band. I had weird dreams all night about one finger being really long and the other being really short. For fun I decided to measure my fingers and my right finger really is 2 mm shorter than my left!
3.gif
No wonder it looked better on my left hand; it had the room for one more.

emilina22

Brilliant_Rock
wow that was rude
38.gif
of that jeweler to say that to you

personally i feel i have short stubby fingers (my hands are my dads hands) i wear between an 8.75-9.25 and the reason i say this is because i LOVE LOVE LOVE to stack my rings and i like them being a bit loose but not so loose that theyll fall off my hand, but because i wear them a little loose they dont show my finger fat...

heres a picture of my rings on my size 9 finger

my engagment ring is an 8.75 (but because i feel it slides ALOT because it has a european shank)
my "something blue band) is a size 9
my new christmas band (i know i know i havent posted any pictures yet but i WILL) is a size 9
and my wedding band is a size 9.5 because when we ordered it in a size 9 it was waaaay too tight and it wasnt comfortable since i was stacking it with my something blue and my engagement ring, so we went up a little in the size for comforts sake.

so anways my point is 1: dont take to heart what that jeweler said becasue there is nothing wrong with OUR fingers and 2. you can still stack a beautiful set of rings with OUR fingers as long as their sized correctly
1.gif

psfinger.JPG

Tuckins1

Ideal_Rock
Ditto the others- It looks like they could be a bit looser, but "pudgy fingers" or not, you should wear what you like!

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
What a HORRIBLE thing to say to a client. IF you love the look and they are comfortable you should wear them proudly!

Diamond*Dana

Ideal_Rock
Premium
How rude! Wear them however you like
36.gif

emilina22

Brilliant_Rock
thanks
1.gif
im sure i have a couple of threads up with pictures of it
16.gif

Bella_mezzo

Ideal_Rock
I have short pudgy fingers too. Wear want you want. My fingers swell and shrink a lot so I wear my rings slightly big but as long as you are comfortable wear what you like. Can''t wait to see how the rings look once they are sized:)

Gleam

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/9/2010 4:43:17 AM
Author: 4ever

I always find it funny (and helpful) when a jewler comments on my hands. One told me my skin has to much red undetones to look good with yellow gold and another told me that although my fingers are long, the length of my finger that rings go on is shortish so I should go for thin delecate bands.

Ditto everything. Those bands do look too tight on your finger, but that''s no reason for the jeweler to be rude!

motownmama

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like the way they look - they should be comfortable though! BTW - I was looking at something new in a really nice jewelry store in CT and they salesperson insulted my wedding band; he said the sapphires in it were "dead." Needless to say I bought the ring I was looking at (and tons more) elsewhere - what a kooky thing to do!

EHR2009

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/9/2010 12:59:39 PM
Author: motownmama
I like the way they look - they should be comfortable though! BTW - I was looking at something new in a really nice jewelry store in CT and they salesperson insulted my wedding band; he said the sapphires in it were ''dead.'' Needless to say I bought the ring I was looking at (and tons more) elsewhere - what a kooky thing to do!

I hate that! I feel like sometimes jewelers feel that they need to insult your current jewelry so you feel you need to buy new stuff from them. The last jeweler I visited told me that I made a "terrible decision" by buying platinum.

LGK

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/9/2010 11:05:47 AM
Author: Gleam

Date: 1/9/2010 4:43:17 AM
Author: 4ever

Ditto everything. Those bands do look too tight on your finger, but that''s no reason for the jeweler to be rude!
Yep for sure! My paws are definitely short-n-stubby and I don''t stack rings, as my hands are very small too and I just don''t have a lot of room to stack rings. However, I definitely think you should just wear your rings however the heck you want. Honestly, what nerve to say that!
20.gif
Just get them sized properly and wear them proudly. I do have to say that often those of us who have, erm, less skinny fingers do look best with looser rings. I love sizing balls inside the shank because it lets a looser ring fit better, but still avoids the finger-muffin-top effect I get so easily
2.gif

Everyone''s hands are different- even when I was super skinny as an adult (which I''m not at the moment, lol) my hands still had no knuckles and easily got the ol'' finger bulge, and I did have a jeweler also say they were "fleshy" even when I wore a size 0. It just has to do with genetics and bone structure sometimes.

MMMD

Shiny_Rock
If the rings are sized correctly they will look great on your hand as they are very pretty. Don''t go to that jeweler anymore.

mtjoya

Brilliant_Rock
I think that you have cute fingers, you should have given that jeweler the finger!
11.gif
What a jerk!

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
I have some finger pudge and as a result I do not stack rings unless they are size quite a bit larger than my true rings size. maybe a whole size bigger. Stacking just smooshes all the fat and makes my rings fit tighter.

But I have also figured out that with fingers like mine, thin bands don''t look that great. A slightly thicker band sized a little big look better because the indent from the ring is not an obvious.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/9/2010 2:36:56 AM
Author: Sparkly Blonde
As soon as I get some daylight I''ll take good photos of the carved bands
4.gif
Yes, do post photos of the carved bands. I''d love to see them.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results