shape
carat
color
clarity

My hideous emerald ring

Kismet

Ideal_Rock
I bought this ring from Dover Jewelry and just received it back from AGL. I bought it for the emerald and diamonds since the ring itself is pretty ugly (not to mention teeny... size 1.75). It came back from AGL as a natural beryl with only faint traces of clarity enhancement.
36.gif
I was kind of expecting it to be treated up the wazoo but I''m pleasantly surprised that it''s not. It''s definitely a lot lighter than an ideal emerald shade but still quite attractive.

kiz-emeraldring1.jpg

Kismet

Ideal_Rock
Here it is next to the emerald in my snake ring (with flash). The snake emerald is a lot darker despite being a lot smaller.

kiz-emeraldring2.jpg

Kismet

Ideal_Rock
Same pic as above but only without flash.

kiz-emeraldring3.jpg

Kismet

Ideal_Rock
That''s as far as I can get it onto my pinky finger.

kiz-emeraldring4.jpg

Kismet

Ideal_Rock
And a profile view to show the total hideousness of the setting.

kiz-emeraldring6.jpg

Kismet

Ideal_Rock
And a copy of the certificate. I didn''t bother getting an origin report since it would have been really expensive for this size stone.

kiz-emeraldring7.jpg

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hah! Kismet, I was watching that ring and did not buy it because of its ugliness. Congratulations!

Kismet

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/26/2010 1:56:58 PM
Author: crasru
Hah! Kismet, I was watching that ring and did not buy it because of its ugliness. Congratulations!

I figured it didn''t matter much what the setting looked like since I wasn''t planning on keeping it in that setting. Now I just have to figure out what I do want to do with it.
17.gif

PinkTower

Brilliant_Rock
What a pretty, pretty stone! The color does not appear light at all. I love the shape. What is the size?

And the setting? Surely it was not made for a child. The prongs are nice.

I love the emerald eyes on your other ring. Is it from Italy? I have a pair of dolphin earrings that are from Italy, and they are quite similar to your ring.

Kismet

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/26/2010 2:06:07 PM
Author: Pink Tower
What a pretty, pretty stone! The color does not appear light at all. I love the shape. What is the size?

And the setting? Surely it was not made for a child. The prongs are nice.

I love the emerald eyes on your other ring. Is it from Italy? I have a pair of dolphin earrings that are from Italy, and they are quite similar to your ring.

I don''t know for sure since the emerald has not been removed from the setting. AGL estimates it at 3.5 carats and Dover estimated it at 5 carats. AGL measured it at 9.09 x 8.25 x 6.67

I don''t know for sure where my snake ring is from; it was another antique purchase. The dealer figured it was probably American though.

jenbuggy85

Rough_Rock
I actually REALLLLY like the setting! I would wear that! So cool IMO :) The stone is beautiful also!

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
i''m with jen. can''t say i absolutely love it but i''d wear it. i''m betting its more strking in person.

mz

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think the piece would make for a nicer pendant, it''s a bit too busy for a ring. Maybe you can do something with it. The emerald is pretty, great find!! May I ask how much the basic AGL report cost you?

Kismet

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/26/2010 2:21:40 PM
Author: tourmaline_lover
I think the piece would make for a nicer pendant, it's a bit too busy for a ring. Maybe you can do something with it. The emerald is pretty, great find!! May I ask how much the basic AGL report cost you?

It's not staying as is at all. I'm going to remove the diamonds and emerald, sell the setting for scrap and make something more to my taste.

The base AGL report for a mounted stone was $138 ($120 + 15% surcharge). ETA: for an origin report they gave me an estimate of $345 (checked my email and it was not $370ish) for a 5 carat stone.

Michael_E

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Date: 6/26/2010 2:25:24 PM
Author: Kismet

It''s not staying as is at all. I''m going to remove the diamonds and emerald, sell the setting for scrap and make something more to my taste.

Like what ? Now I''ll be sitting here in suspense wondering how you''re going to use those stones. It looks like the baguettes are all really well matched. Are they quite clean as well ? Those little devils are about the most expensive things that you can buy in melee and it looks like you have enough of then to make something really spectacular.

Kismet

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/26/2010 2:34:01 PM
Author: Michael_E

It''s not staying as is at all. I''m going to remove the diamonds and emerald, sell the setting for scrap and make something more to my taste.

Like what ? Now I''ll be sitting here in suspense wondering how you''re going to use those stones. It looks like the baguettes are all really well matched. Are they quite clean as well ? Those little devils are about the most expensive things that you can buy in melee and it looks like you have enough of then to make something really spectacular.

I''m not really sure actually. Maybe a split shank with the baguettes set into the shank? They look clean enough to me but I''m no great shakes with a loupe so I can''t say for certain how nice they are. I don''t see any glaring inclusions though.

davi_el_mejor

Brilliant_Rock
what a great ring kismet! I personally love it as is.
2.gif

Did you get a history on the ring or was it just a purchase?

when you said the size my mind automatically jumped to a victorian child''s ring, more exactly a very macabre setting of a victorian funeral for a child. I know, way to creep you out, but that''s what I thought.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh my.
After seeing that ring I must kill myself.

BTW, where is that thread with the hideous rings?
You should post it there and bump it back up.

That was the funniest PS thread ever!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/26/2010 2:21:40 PM

Author: tourmaline_lover

I think the piece would make for a nicer pendant, it''s a bit too busy for a ring. Maybe you can do something with it. The emerald is pretty, great find!! May I ask how much the basic AGL report cost you?

The base AGL report for a mounted stone was $138 ($120 + 15% surcharge). ETA: for an origin report they gave me an estimate of $345 (checked my email and it was not $370ish) for a 5 carat stone.

Thanks Kismet, not a bad price for the base AGL report that lists treatment and level of treatment. You were smart to send it to the AGL!
36.gif

Kismet

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/26/2010 4:26:37 PM
Author: davi_el_mejor
what a great ring kismet! I personally love it as is.
2.gif

Did you get a history on the ring or was it just a purchase?

when you said the size my mind automatically jumped to a victorian child''s ring, more exactly a very macabre setting of a victorian funeral for a child. I know, way to creep you out, but that''s what I thought.

Nope, I didn''t get any history with it. I can''t imagine it''s a child''s ring though, despite the finger size. It''s really huge in ever other respect.

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I just wanted to compliment you on finding such a lovely stone!! That emerald is beautiful, I really love it and can''t wait to see what setting you decide on!

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock
Sweet stone!

Kenny before you kill your self please consider the many candidates more worthy than you. Start with the "jeweler" who made that ring!

brazen_irish_hussy

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/26/2010 4:32:00 PM
Author: kenny
Oh my.

After seeing that ring I must kill myself.

BTW, where is that thread with the hideous rings?

You should post it there and bump it back up.

That was the funniest PS thread ever!
I am not sure suicide is the best option, but blinding ones self seems appropriate.

That being said, the emerald really is amazing and that alone makes it a good find. Let us know what you do with it.

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would just say Fates favor these who dare! Think of how many of us would have passed on it! It looked incredibly hideous on the computer screen.

brandy_z28

Brilliant_Rock
Count me in on those that think it isn''t too bad. I second TL''s suggestion to leave it be and make it into a pendant.
9.gif

Lovinggems

Ideal_Rock
That''s a good size emerald, can''t wait to see how you reset this gem.

Kismet

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/27/2010 12:25:27 AM
Author: brandy_z28
Count me in on those that think it isn''t too bad. I second TL''s suggestion to leave it be and make it into a pendant.
9.gif

Bleh, even if it was a pendant I wouldn''t wear it. The setting is really not to my taste at all.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I dislike the setting but that emerald is truly something when considering the size, colour and how little treatment is has. I''m glad you had AGL check it out too.

Kismet

Ideal_Rock
My emerald has been freed from its hideous prison and it looks lovely! The jeweler weighed it and it's 3.33 carats, so AGL was a lot closer in their estimate. :) The back has some surface inclusions but I can't really see them when the stone is face up. There are a few internal inclusions (black dot looking) which can be seen with the naked eye but only if I hold the stone really close to my eye; they're easily visible with a loupe.

kiz-emeraldfreed1.jpg

kiz-emeraldfreed2.jpg

kiz-emeraldfreed3.jpg

kiz-emeraldfreed4.jpg

Kismet

Ideal_Rock
And the freed diamonds. When I first louped them I thought they had a ton of carbon spots but I really think it's mostly just dirt. I'm scared to clean them in case I lose them though. They look well matched for size and color (dirt not withstanding.)

kiz-bagdiamonds1.jpg

kiz-bagdiamonds2.jpg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results