shape
carat
color
clarity

My friend is looking for a 5-6mm round sapphire - help pls?

pearaffair

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi!! :wavey:

You all have been so incredible in helping my last friend prepare for his engagement, and I'm hoping I can impose upon you again to help me track down the best stone for my buddy J! He's proposing in a month, and will be setting a round (open to oval) sapphire in a yellow gold setting.

This is the colour he's looking for:

Now, from what I can tell, $168 is a really good price for a natural sapphire. Why? Why is it so affordable? He'd buy this one in a second if we could get some confirmation that it's decent. It can be found here:

https://gemhunters.com.au/product/australian-blue-sapphire-8/

Let us know if it's the one he should go with, or if you can find something far superior, that's cool too!

Size: 5-6mm
Shape: Round (also open to Oval, but preference for round)
Budget: Up to $2000

If you need more details, I'll post 'em! Just say the word! Here's another pic of the shade he likes:

Thank you!!! You're such a fabulous team of selfless people that ensure guys aren't going out buying crap without realizing it :clap: !! Your time is much appreciated!

nas6-australian-sapphires-for-sale-3.jpg

blue_69.jpg

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Re: My friend is looking for a 5-6mm round sapphire - help p

Is 2k for a setting too? How will it be set? Why only 5-6mm?

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I imagine that the stone you posted will be exceedingly dark (like black) in almost all but very bright light. I would ask the vendor how dark the stone is and how it looks in regular, not bright, light.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

yup, I agree with Minous that the stone will likely be quite dark. But the owners of gem hunters are extremely nice (I've emailed back and further with them a bit), so they might be able to tell you more about how the stone will look in more natural light.

Also, just so you have a sense of what it might look like in real life, I got a center stone for my 5-stone ring that looked similar to that one (an aussie sapphire). Here's a pic of what it looks like in general just in case it might help to see it without bright backlighting. It is dark in most lights, but I don't mind it, and it was quite affordable versus the brighter stones that I never could have afforded:

20151029_183106.jpg 20151029_150528.jpg

pearaffair

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Niel said:

2k is max for centre stone. He has another 1k set aside for the setting.

He's still figuring out the setting: probably solitaire, possibility of bezel. I'll post details once he has decided.

5-6mm for his budget, and also she has verrrry small hands.

pearaffair

Ideal_Rock
Premium

lovedogs said:
yup, I agree with Minous that the stone will likely be quite dark. But the owners of gem hunters are extremely nice (I've emailed back and further with them a bit), so they might be able to tell you more about how the stone will look in more natural light.

Also, just so you have a sense of what it might look like in real life, I got a center stone for my 5-stone ring that looked similar to that one (an aussie sapphire). Here's a pic of what it looks like in general just in case it might help to see it without bright backlighting. It is dark in most lights, but I don't mind it, and it was quite affordable versus the brighter stones that I never could have afforded:

20151029_183106.jpg 20151029_150528.jpg

That's gorgeous! What size is the centre stone?

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

The center stone is 7.7mm--thanks for the kind words! BTW Michael E of Gem Shoppe (on the recommended vendor list) cut it for me from a larger stone that he had from old stock. Maybe your friend could reach out to him if that color appeals to you? He is very kind and helpful, and if he doesn't have something in stock right now he might be able to find something that works.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

pearaffair|1453070476|3977260 said:
Niel said:

He's still figuring out the setting: probably solitaire, possibility of bezel. I'll post details once he has decided.

A soli sounds lovely, and a bezel would make it special vs say a plain old prong setting. However, a bezel will darken the stone, if he goes that route try and consider going a tad lighter than you want it to end up.

So if a stone is in budget bit a bit larger, you wouldn't kick it out of bed?

pearaffair

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Niel said:
pearaffair|1453070476|3977260 said:
Niel said:

A soli sounds lovely, and a bezel would make it special vs say a plain old prong setting. However, a bezel will darken the stone, if he goes that route try and consider going a tad lighter than you want it to end up.

So if a stone is in budget bit a bit larger, you wouldn't kick it out of bed?

Good point. I think for that reason, he wouldn't be happy with a bezel.

It's going to be set in yellow gold.

Definitely will not throw stones out of bed, so long as they're the right colour! :)

Order of preferences:

-colour, brightness, sparkle
-budget
-size

And we definitely do not need to use the whole $2k. Only if it makes a big difference. He sincerely wants to get her a high quality stone with phenomenal colour. He hates it when sapphires look dark or black. Let me know if I can give you more info! :) Help is much appreciated. I don't know much about coloured stones.

pearaffair

Ideal_Rock
Premium

lovedogs said:
The center stone is 7.7mm--thanks for the kind words! BTW Michael E of Gem Shoppe (on the recommended vendor list) cut it for me from a larger stone that he had from old stock. Maybe your friend could reach out to him if that color appeals to you? He is very kind and helpful, and if he doesn't have something in stock right now he might be able to find something that works.

Gorgeous! I'll show my friend. Maybe 7mm is more appropriate :)

Her finger size is 5.5 and her fingers are very short. She's a petite gal.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

pearaffair|1453073107|3977286 said:
lovedogs said:

Gorgeous! I'll show my friend. Maybe 7mm is more appropriate :)

Her finger size is 5.5 and her fingers are very short. She's a petite gal.

My fingers aren't quite that petite :lol: I am around a size 7, so obviously it would look larger on her hands. But I think that 7mm would be a great size, even on a 5.5 size finger :)

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

pearaffair

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I like the brightness, but the shade doesn't look to be that peacock blue sea green colour he's looking for. Is that colour unrealistic?

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

pearaffair|1453133254|3977507 said:
I like the brightness, but the shade doesn't look to be that peacock blue sea green colour he's looking for. Is that colour unrealistic?

No I don't think that color is unrealistic--just wanted to post some additional options. Here is another montana sapphire posted on an FB group for fine faceted gems (if you search FB for that the group should come up) which supposedly shifts to a greenish color in certain lights. Here's a photo:

12122858_10153486188995073_2983963694703546130_n.jpg

Actually, I think given the colors he prefers Australian sapphire is a better choice. Seda gems is a nice vendor (from what I've heard, and I've spoken to them a bit). Here's a link to what they have in stock currently:

https://sedagems.com/product-category/sapphire/

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

pearaffair|1453133254|3977507 said:
Problem is sapphires aren't the best green gemstones. So yes, blue green that isn't too dark or too yellow or too grey can be tricky

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I wonder if Jeff white has any more of this.

jotw_picante27dw_20150807.jpg

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Here are a few other options (maybe)? All from Seda Gems, but from a different website that I think has more inventory.

536ca771a9c3d.jpg 53a525ab8034c.jpg 536c602ecc63d.jpg

picante27

Shiny_Rock

I don't think he does, Niel. I asked him a couple months back and he said he was out, unfortunately.

He does have a pretty Montana though. But it looks to be a bit lighter than the desired color.

jeff_white_blue_green_montana.jpg

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

picante27|1453135919|3977523 said:
I don't think he does, Niel. I asked him a couple months back and he said he was out, unfortunately.
Nooooooo! :knockout: :blackeye:

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

lovedogs|1453135816|3977520 said:
Here are a few other options (maybe)? All from Seda Gems, but from a different website that I think has more inventory.

536ca771a9c3d.jpg 53a525ab8034c.jpg 536c602ecc63d.jpg

Oh I like the first one

VirginiaZee

Shiny_Rock

Earth's Treasury has a few that might fit the bill:

http://www.earthstreasury.com/product/1-51-carat-medium-robins-egg-blue-montana-sapphire/ It's a few hundred over budget, but if he's setting it in a solitaire he should still have more than enough for that and still stay within the $3k max overall budget.

http://www.earthstreasury.com/product/1-80-carat-robins-egg-blue-montana-sapphire/ (That one's a bit more "silky" though.)

Or this (he mentions this one is very brilliant)? http://www.earthstreasury.com/product/1-40-carat-light-teal-blue-montana-sapphire/

(Sorry, I can't seem to figure out how to add photos from his site!)

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

We had a great Aussie poster here who was mining and cutting his own stones. He was prolific in cutting lovely Aussie sapphires and eventually decided to become a Trade member with a website. Jamie Irvine is his name and he is a lovely, easy to deal with, vendor. Try looking at his stones here - they are also really well priced, imo: http://www.genuineaussiegems.com.au/

pearaffair

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Oh boy! What a bunch o' lovely gems!!!

Here are the ones that I feel most closely match what my friend is looking for. Please let me know if there are any that should not be considered. Otherwise, I'll have him choose from these! :love:

1. $730 http://www.earthstreasury.com/product/0-87-carat-deep-blue-green-montana-sapphire/

2. $250 http://www.genuineaussiegems.com.au/product/0-44ct-blue-sapphire-4-5mm/

3. $250 http://www.genuineaussiegems.com.au/product/0-49ct-blue-green-sapphire-4-5mm/

4. $1063 https://sedagems.com/shop/sapphire/blue-sapphire/1-40cts-teal-blue-australian-sapphire/

_36072.jpg

_36073.jpg

_36074.jpg

_36075.jpg

pearaffair

Ideal_Rock
Premium

5. $1329 https://sedagems.com/shop/sapphire/blue-sapphire/1-97cts-teal-blue-australian-sapphire/

6. $168 https://gemhunters.com.au/product/australian-blue-sapphire-8/

7. $270 https://mastercutgems.com/Products-251-Ruby_and_Sapphire/8804-Madagascar_Natural_Blue_Sapphire_1_22_ct-GemMedia.php?FromPage=1&ProductMediaID=35654

Anything I should note about the photography? Like sometimes gems look better when you have a better lit photo...

_36076.jpg

_36077.jpg

_36078.jpg

pearaffair

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I'm leaning towards #1, but I also like #7.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I love #1, and also #5, but all look good. I dont feel like any of them are "bad" choices--just a matter of personal taste :)

pearaffair

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Awesome! I'll just send them all to my friend and see which one he likes best. :)

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

number 5 gets my vote

pearaffair

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I've got two votes for #5. Reasons please? That way I can explain it to my friend :)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results