shape
carat
color
clarity

My French cut eternity auction find!

SillyMonkee

Rough_Rock
I've been on the hunt for a 5.5-5.75 platinum eternity band for a while now. The dream would be French cuts, but OECs would also be acceptable (and cheaper!) In perusing the usual suspects I found an auction listing for an "Art Deco & Diamond Platinum Band". The description was "Art Deco diamond and platinum eternity wedding band / ring. Channel set old mine cut diamonds. Approx. 1.5 cts.t.w. Ring size 8.5." but the image was this:
Screen Shot 2021-12-01 at 8.16.13 PM.png
That's a round brilliant in the middle... but the rest looked to be French cuts! The starting bid was $400, so I took a chance and won! It arrived today and there are 34 French cuts and that one random round, but it was FILTHY (you can see the grime even in the listing picture):
DSC_0530.jpeg
DSC_0531.jpeg
But she's looking much better after a soak, a scrubbing, and the ultrasound:
DSC_0532.jpeg
DSC_0535.jpeg

BUT: the ring was accurately described as 8.5, so I'm wearing her on my middle finger for now and contemplating repurposing the stones into a 5.75 band next year...

Thanks for reading so far - I'm so exciting to share and of course Pricescope is the only place where people will understand!

foxinsox

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow! What a great score. They’re lovely

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow, I gotta say I’m a little envious, 8.5 is my ring size lol!

That aside, great score! It looks so much better cleaned up. I never understand people that sell filthy rings like that.

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Good eye!
If you do end up resetting into another eternity band in your size- you’ve got the benefit of being able to leave out some if they are chipped/cracked.
If none are chipped /cracked - it’d be both fun and kinda sad to have to choose the ones that ‘make the cut’ lol!
I like their personalities :)

CSpan

Brilliant_Rock
OMG score! Ye of the larger hands are always looking for these bigger sizes. The stones look amazing. Mind sharing which auction site?

LightBright

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Wow, your intuition about the ring was correct, I'm very impressed by the resulting ring- it’s lovely!!!! It cleaned up so well! Enjoy!

lala646

Brilliant_Rock
@SillyMonkee If you ever want to sell it, you'll find a lot of interested folks here! Those of us with an 8-9 ring size have a heck of a hard time finding rings in our size.

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love it when people score amazing things that aren't listed accurately!

Beautiful ring!

blingmeupscotty

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
love it!!!

SillyMonkee

Rough_Rock
Thanks for all the kind words, and sorry for being so tardy in my response. I found it through Live Auctioneers, at an auction house in Maine (I'm in California) - fortunately, they have a good relationship with a packing service! But yes, shocking that they auctioned it in that condition.

I'm still deciding what to do with it. If I do decide to sell I'll definitely put it on the Pre-Loved forum to make sure it goes to a home that appreciates it, but it's a WONKY 8.5 - that OEC addition really makes the ring oddly off-round. I assume it was an 8 or 8.25 that got stretched a bit. Not noticeable on that hand but is definitely odd to look at it in profile...

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you do decide to sell (which I probably wouldn’t given the scarcity of French cuts these days) please give us a heads up here before posting in pre-loved?

Honestly though for the price you paid even if you use the diamonds and have a custom ring made, you are still going to be spending less than if you bought a French cut eternity outright. So definitely get a quote from some jewelers before making the decision to part with it.

Efleon

Brilliant_Rock
Great find!
I would wear it as is.
Charming.

lala646

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks for all the kind words, and sorry for being so tardy in my response. I found it through Live Auctioneers, at an auction house in Maine (I'm in California) - fortunately, they have a good relationship with a packing service! But yes, shocking that they auctioned it in that condition.

I'm still deciding what to do with it. If I do decide to sell I'll definitely put it on the Pre-Loved forum to make sure it goes to a home that appreciates it, but it's a WONKY 8.5 - that OEC addition really makes the ring oddly off-round. I assume it was an 8 or 8.25 that got stretched a bit. Not noticeable on that hand but is definitely odd to look at it in profile...

I purchased a ruby eternity from as seller on eBay on the off-chance it would be nice IRL, since good eternities in the 8-9 range are hard to find at decent price points. It was shocking how filthy it was. Like yours, just caked with grime! I think it took a good soaking, then something like 5 trips through the ultrasonic before it was looking like its true stunning self.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results