shape
carat
color
clarity

My first post, need help with my first ring

UTMom

Rough_Rock
HI everybody,

I've finally decided that I'm going to buy my first real ring. I never had a wedding ring or an engagement, and that's cool with me, the marriage didn't work out anyway. SO for my first ring I want to do something special. I want to remember my mother and my aunt and get a pink stone w/diamonds to honor them for Breast Cancer Awareness. I lost my mom to cancer in 2011 and my aunt is a 20 year survivor. They've been a huge influence in my life and so I thought a ring for my right hand, that I can wear daily would be nice for my first ring. I need some ideas on design and where to shop. I've got a single mom budget of $3-5K. Help anyone?

RTFrog

Shiny_Rock
Hi UTMom,

Welcome to Colored Stones!

I'm sorry to hear about your Mom :blackeye: . That is awful. And Congratulations to your aunt. :appl:

I took a quick look and phone some rings with pink sapphires that might give provide some ideas. If you could please provide some guidance to what you are looking for, then someone will be glad to help you locate/create something inspiring.

il_570xN.426388173_mjd8.jpg

il_fullxfull.497929823_lb3f.jpg

il_570xN.509100983_jx7k.jpg

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
This is likely not what you're thinking of, but because it's about BC, I wanted to share it with you. I lost my mother in 2008 to breast cancer, and had this ring made in her memory.

Pink sapphire melee on a rose gold ribbon with a silver band.

img_0421.jpg

dscn0635_freke.jpg

Pretzel

Rough_Rock
FrekeChild|1382641883|3543866 said:
This is likely not what you're thinking of, but because it's about BC, I wanted to share it with you. I lost my mother in 2008 to breast cancer, and had this ring made in her memory.

The ring is lovely, FrekeChild. Sorry to hear about your and UTMom's losses.

1001smiles

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Sorry to hear you both lost your moms to breast cancer, that's very sad.
It's very thoughtful to make jewelry in their memory. I like Freke's idea of incorporating a little pink ribbon in your design. For example, you could put two little pink ribbons on both sides of your center stone to keep things symmetrical.

sonyachancs

Shiny_Rock
Pretzel said:
This in pink might be perfect.
One strand for mum, one for aunt.

http://www.ingleandrhode.co.uk/diamond-ruby-ribbon-ring?filters=channel-set,,,,,,,,

I think this is beautiful and might be quite perfect!

or I was thinking you could do a two-stone design like this http://www.emmaanneblog.com/2012/03/two-stone-ring.html, and use pink spinels (helps keep prices low) or sapphires? it would be simple enough for daily wear and those two stones are pretty durable (as far as I know..)

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
well to answer your question as to wear to look, theres a thread pinned to the CS thread to help you look for CS vendors

i know it isnt a sapphire, but the pink spinel at the bottom of this thread

http://www.gemfix.com/spinel.html#thumb

pair that with a 2 diamond pear side stones and that would be lovely.

Or, if you could find a smaller one i think a pear bypass ring might be just perfect, one pink one diamond.

sort of like this but with pears ob the ends

abr019319-1-500x500.jpg

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
Can you help us with what kind of style you are looking for? Do you want a classic halo ring (pink sapphire with a white diamond halo)? How about some kind of simple band? Or do you want something more unique?

If you want something more unique, what kinds of rings do you like? Modern? Vintage? Antique?

There's a thread full of colored stone rings here. Let us know if any of these fit your style:
[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/colored-stone-e-rings-eyecandy.29435/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/colored-stone-e-rings-eyecandy.29435/[/URL]

UTMom

Rough_Rock
Pretzel|1382648873|3543930 said:
This in pink might be perfect.
One strand for mum, one for aunt.

http://www.ingleandrhode.co.uk/diamond-ruby-ribbon-ring?filters=channel-set,,,,,,,,

I really like this!! The idea to incorporate part of the band to each of them is wonderful!
In all honesty, I've never bought jewerly, much less owned a real diamond. Thus I have no idea what I want or should even be looking for. I know I want some sparkle, a white gold or silver setting, and a soft color pink. I really like eternity bands, so I was wondering if there is some way to incorporate that type of style. This ring is pretty awesome!

RTFrog

Shiny_Rock
Here are a few more eternity ring inspired. There is definitely a way to get the design and style you want.

66MM18.jpg

http://www.pearlmansjewelers.com/jewelry-designers/spark-jewelry/rings/66MM1/

You can always stack a couple of bands together to make a look you want too!

Here's a pink sapphire center with diamond eternity band:
il_570xN.310291917.jpg

http://www.etsy.com/listing/92540922/pink-sapphire-and-diamond-engagement?utm_medium=sem&utm_source=thefind&utm_campaign=experiment_2013_EnUs

The ultimate decision will be based on what inspires you the most. There are some true beauties in this thread.

Would you prefer stacking some together, or one ring with everything already put together?

UTMom

Rough_Rock
Ok, so thinking about this subject I think I need to figure out if a pink sapphire is what I should consider. (Again, I am so sorry for my ignorance as far as jewelry, I really appreciate everyone's help.) What should I look for in a pink sapphire? Are they cut and graded like diamonds are? I heard about the four C's and I'm assuming that is for all types of stones?

Also, how do I know what a fair price is for a pink sapphire? Obviously I've never bought one so I am very fearful of spending too much or getting ripped off. On the otherhand, my desire might not be realistic. I'm probably wanting something way out of my budget?

I would really like to have a ring with a heart shaped pink stone in the middle with perhaps an eternity style band. I like the band that Pretzel showed me, maybe a could find something with the same style but more delicate looking? I'm feeling so lost :confused:

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Pink diamond - the most durable but also the most expensive
Pink sapphire - everyday wear but can be pricey. Have to decide if you want untreated or heated.
Pink spinel - everyday wear, untreated and less expensive than unheated sapphire.
Pink tourmaline - not everyday wear, presumed untreated (most labs have trouble detecting heat and irradiation) and least expensive.
There are pinkish garnets but those are more orangish pink.

Coloured stones are judged very differently. There are no cut standards because it is impossible to do so for the various varieties of gems (different refractive indexes means different angle combinations) and shapes. Colour is what sets the price.
www.palagems.com/quality_4cs.htm

RTFrog

Shiny_Rock
I think that this would be a gorgeous heart shaped Pink Sapphire, and to me it seems like a good price at $760
sapphire_pink_446.jpg
sapphire_pink_446_A.jpg
http://www.gemfix.com/sapphire_pink.html#thumb (bottom of page, 1st one on left)

I would get this then design a setting. Everyone here will help you with a setting. There are threads by DanielM and others that can do the custom design (may take a month or two) but everything should be in your budget. Would something like this work?

deskjockey

Brilliant_Rock
I think your budget is realistic, honestly, especially if you want a smaller stone. If you want to go bigger, there will probably be lots more options in spinel.

http://www.gemfix.com/sapphire_pink.html

Scroll to the bottom, there's a little heart there for $760. A lot depends on the exact color you want/like, the size you want, and how well it is cut. Read the stickies up at the top for a crash course on color/cut considerations :)

Xrisus

Shiny_Rock
How about this ring/stone I found, the vendor was asking $1495. The center stone is a 2.0-carat Tanzanian spinel measuring 8.3 x 7.3 mm. The diamonds are 0.4cttw and G/H in color. Albeit the center stone is not a heart shape. I purposefully am being vague as to where I found it should you like it but someone else snatch it!

_11291.jpg

_11292.jpg

_11293.jpg

_11294.jpg

RTFrog

Shiny_Rock
Quick mockup
rub-diamond-ribbon-ring-2%20copy.jpg

Pretzel

Rough_Rock
Hehe, RTFrog, I was thinking of doing the same thing with that design (except not pink and not a heart). It is so gorgeous with the ribbon effect though. I think I just want the ring as is! :lol:

This is palladium and pink tourmaline, which seems to be less magenta than pink sapphire:

_11295.jpg

UTMom

Rough_Rock
RTFrog|1382716678|3544490 said:
I think that this would be a gorgeous heart shaped Pink Sapphire, and to me it seems like a good price at $760
sapphire_pink_446.jpg
sapphire_pink_446_A.jpg
http://www.gemfix.com/sapphire_pink.html#thumb (bottom of page, 1st one on left)

I would get this then design a setting. Everyone here will help you with a setting. There are threads by DanielM and others that can do the custom design (may take a month or two) but everything should be in your budget. Would something like this work?

Yes, I like this stone!! I think a pink heart would represent LOVE for my mother and AWARENESS perfectly. Is $760 a reasonable price for this stone as far as size and color?

UTMom

Rough_Rock
deskjockey|1382716847|3544491 said:
I think your budget is realistic, honestly, especially if you want a smaller stone. If you want to go bigger, there will probably be lots more options in spinel.

http://www.gemfix.com/sapphire_pink.html

Scroll to the bottom, there's a little heart there for $760. A lot depends on the exact color you want/like, the size you want, and how well it is cut. Read the stickies up at the top for a crash course on color/cut considerations :)

Thank you.... how is Gemfix as far as a credible and quality retailer?

UTMom

Rough_Rock
Oh my goodness! So many pretty pictures and great info, thank you everybody...I can't wait to get this project moving and show everyone my ring :appl:

deskjockey

Brilliant_Rock
UTMom|1382722992|3544539 said:
Thank you.... how is Gemfix as far as a credible and quality retailer?

I haven't purchased from them but they are on the "recommended" list here on the forum, and I've only heard good things about them (I think the "worst" I heard was that they don't generally take a bunch of extra pictures to send potential buyers. But everything else I've heard suggests they are extremely helpful, accurate in their descriptions, and they have a good return policy if you're not happy. That's just from reading here... I know one member has recently gotten two incredible garnets from them). When I'm in a place to buy some more stones that's where I'm planning on shopping :)

RTFrog

Shiny_Rock
Gemfix is highly regarded here, and so is the faceter Andrew.

There's a return policy too - and often stones get purchased pretty quickly once discussion about them begins.

If you like it - go for it! Everything about it makes it a good buy, especially the rare precision cut heart shape. After purchasing it, the setting search and design can begin!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gemfix's photographs are a tad more saturated than what you will see in person from past reviews posted on PS.

Rosebloom

Ideal_Rock

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
UTmom, its about now that any person in their right minds will start feeling overwhelmed, so congratulations! At the top of this main page, there are stickies which talk about what to look for (and know about) in stones, and also a stickie devoted to recommended vendors. If you take a minute now and then to read about stones, you will feel more comfortable as the info starts to sink in (I say that only because I often have to read something a bit technical a few times to get it). I too love the band ideas and think a heart subtly incorporated into the design could be awesome. If you are interested in that Gemfix stone, do at least reserve it so that lurkers don't snatch it (then again, heart shaped stones are often much cheaper than other shapes just because they are not in as much demand, so it could be that there is not too much interest in that heart). I love when the experts really listen to what you seek and come up with great ideas, such as Pretzel and RTFrog have done. Also, I love the ring that Xrisus posted, though its quite different than what you seek.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
pregcurious|1382823815|3545219 said:
I know this doesn't have a heart, but it is an eternity ring with pink and white. I don't know about this vendor, but others should be able to supply or make this.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/261312530667?lpid=82

Nice detailing on that ring. UTmom, do you have a sense of whether you'd like something streamlined/modernish or more retro/vintage/detailed?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I happened to be browsing for a pink spinel for someone else when I spotted this heart spinel and remembered your quest.
1.2 ct pink spinel heart measuring 6.1 x 7 x 4.3 mm for $571
http://www.multicolour.com/detail/?-1721637910

j2w_ysp933aa.jpg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results