shape
carat
color
clarity

My first Paraiba!!!! Ahhhh!

LemonMoonLex

Ideal_Rock
So......

As only a few of you know (beware this is blasphemous) at first, when I dove into fine gems I didn't "click" with paraiba, and didnt understand the hoopla surrounding their prized color and glow.

To be honest the color even seemed somewhat offensive or trashy in a way. I'm the blue-green girl or teal even but the bright/light neon version just seemed wrong to me, its hard to explain. It had the same effect on me then as people who claim they dont love the colors yellow or orange in everyday life.

That was, until my presence on PS grew and examples of fine paraiba set in beautiful rings and pendants were offered/shown to me daily. The stone started to grow on me and with that my perception of the gemstone changed. I saw more and more examples of the stone glowing brightly in the sun and came to realize that there truly isnt a stone comparable.

Finally I was able to see the beauty in the wonderful glow of this gemstone and I promised that if given the right opportunity (right stone for the right price) that I would snab it up!

Well that time came last week when desertrose posted on instagram about a few paraibas she had left and I saw this gorgeous chunky girl, alas I was informed that It was spoken for but told her to please contact me if somehow the buy fell through.

Well whatever is meant to be will be because I was contacted yesterday and this chunky little baby is mine!
Its not in my hands yet but I will update with photos when I get it!

She is a small girl at .31cts with a spread of 4.63x4.15mm
& at $1,000/ct I couldnt pass her up!

I still have zero solid ideas about what I want to eventually do with this stone but im thinking a possible chunky 2/2.5mm diamond halo in YG or even a toi et moi ring!

My chunky is the one on the very right :appl:
Screenshot_2020-03-02-10-13-38~2.png Screenshot_2020-03-02-10-13-41~2.png Screenshot_2020-03-02-10-13-29~3.png

I just wanted to document my first paraiba as its very exciting and thought I could share that excitment with all of you!

If you girls have any ideas about setting my chunky or gemstone pairings please share!

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Nice! Small but mighty! Maybe RG???

This is what I did with my zircon
arcbluezircrg03032020.jpg

That is 14K RG with just regular diamonds. Still one of my most worn rings.

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Very pleasing shape and color!
I vote chunky diamonds
Small but mighty!

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yay! small but mighty is right. It's super glowy, and Paribas dont need to be big to make a statement! Excited for you to see it IRL!

LemonMoonLex

Ideal_Rock
Thank you all!
I'm so excited to finally see one in person as well!

Ive only seen poor examples of paraiba at the local gem fares here but none had the right color/saturation/glow.

@Arcadian Your ring is lovely! & Im normally the rose gold gal especially for all of my emerald rings and my gem silica, so seeing your ring is giving me rose gold fever again!

@Rfisher isnt that shape adorable?! The middle paraiba was available at the time but its elongated shape is less flattering to me and that chunky sister had my eye. It would make the sweetest ring!

@T L I'm usually the cheerleader of rose gold for blue-green gems but for bright glowy paraibas I dont know...IMO there is just something so royal and rich about a para set in yellow gold! I'm in love with it!
Case in point desertroses' bypass ring with a spinel....this ring makes me drool!

Screenshot_2020-03-03-10-49-59~2.png

@lovedogs Thank you! & you are right even tiny 3mm paraibas make a huge splash with their glow! I'm so excited to see it in person because I cant recall that I have seen one ever in front of me!!

@Ibrakeforpossums Right? :rodent:
You'll have to change your name to "Paraibas&Possums" hahaha

voce

Ideal_Rock
Congrats on your first paraiba! I can already tell, it won't be your last :evil2:.

Once upon a time in 2018, I told my DF that I just want ONE paraiba, and that became a blue AND a green for New Year 2019, and then at the end of 2019 I had 8. I kept reading the mines in Brazil are drying up, so I just bought as many as I possibly could and even now, I feel conflicted because if I look at my bank balance I regret buying so much, but it's hard to regret my purchases when I'm looking at my paraibas in person.

Anyway, I think I would set that glowy paraiba as the center piece on a 3-stone or 5-stone, definitely in rose gold, along with small neon green and/or neon pink gems. I think a big diamond halo would be pricey, especially considering you only buy natural gems and would probably want sparkly white diamonds.

I look forward to seeing how you'll set it! When do you think you would be ready to start that process?

Polabowla

Brilliant_Rock
Absolutely gorgeous! I never heard of pariba's before I joined ps. Where have they been all my life?!

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think it would also be nice in YG, but I do wonder if it would pull more to the green side. Maybe check? I did intentionally go with RG for my zircon to pull more blue. Of course high ct yellow gold is always beautiful.

LemonMoonLex

Ideal_Rock
I think it would also be nice in YG, but I do wonder if it would pull more to the green side. Maybe check? I did intentionally go with RG for my zircon to pull more blue. Of course high ct yellow gold is always beautiful.

Hmm...good point actually.
I think if I did YG id have to do the more expensive 18k, where as 14k rose gold would look lovely.

14k rose gold would look stellar with a high quality diamond halo.
Hmm...i actually think I have the perfect diamonds for the ring....hmmmmm ideas ideas!

Also take a drink everytime I say "hmm" lordy!

LemonMoonLex

Ideal_Rock
@Polabowla Right?!? Its a funny stone that way too and if worn in public and someone recognizes it its sort of a screening tool for gem/jewelry lovers lol

LemonMoonLex

Ideal_Rock
@voce Thank you :evil2: You are partially to blame as being inspiration for this gateway drug! I cant wait to see how you set all of your babies! Just read your plans in the para thread! The demantoid and paraiba ring sounds candy-apple-scrumptious! (In missy s' words! Lol)

& Yes a diamond halo would be pricey because Id want that bright white/brilliant look! Although :think:....after answering another poster I realized that I have another ring that contains 2.5mm diamonds that would cover the entire halo and that are just stunning! Theres 8 of them. I was going to use them for my wedding ring but am going in a different direction with that entirely....so that actually makes things a lot easier.

Like you this project wont happen for MONTHS. As I already stretched my lil' budget to fit this para in & I'll need to build my gemfund back up in order to create this setting!

Although now that I have the diamonds for a halo that makes things a lot less complicated with fabrication and a hell of a lot less expensive. If I do decide on a halo it will be diamond and I think RG would be stunning!

On another note: I do love how desertroses' ring looks in rich YG bezels. I do think that I'd have to pay the premium for 18k YG instead to get that same look, and only choose YG if I decide to do a simpler bezeled look.

I love your idea of a 3 or 5 stone! I just had two dainty 3-stone rings made (my perwinkle sapphire/diamond ring and my pink garnet and brown/champagne diamond ring) so if I did I think I'd make a 5-stone with my para being the center. 2 Jedi spinels and 2 smaller paras or emeralds would look stunning although that will be the priciest option yet.

All lovely ideas!

Although things can definetely change in the many months leading up to setting this dainty para, I'm leaning most towards halo-ing this baby with my 2.5mm sparklers in rose gold. That would be a special little heirloom :))

voce

Ideal_Rock
I know you love rose gold, but depending on the experience of the bench you use, it's safer (less risky) to set paraiba in platinum or yellow gold... that's why my first two paraiba rings, where the center paraibas were greater than $1k in value, I went with platinum. I've since set a couple of paraibas in white gold (most risky for paraibas), but I went through CRD, whose bench has plenty of experience in setting them in all kinds of metals. I did notice the prongs were not as nicely symmetric when it was done in white gold, and I chalked it up to the riskiness factor with a hard metal like white gold that the bench did not feel comfortable readjusting. The paraibas I went for white gold with were cheaper paraibas that I did not doubt could be replaced. The risk I mention is the risk of the stone chipping or cracking during the setting process, as I understand paraibas mere mortals like us can afford have more inclusions than a host of other gems.

LemonMoonLex

Ideal_Rock
Eeeeeeep. Tracking says it will arrive tomorrow and the seller lives in the same state as me so heres to hoping they dont send it to Texas first and that it comes straight to me!

If so some photos in the sun will be in order on Saturday to brighten your day!

Y'all pray its not late! I cannot wait for this little chunker!!!

prs

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Small but mighty indeed. What a find!!!

strawrose

Brilliant_Rock
If you need someone to set it, she has a jeweler, too.

elle_71125

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Offensive? Trashy? Talk about a knife to the gut.

3E2F1CA8-BCC5-4648-ADFB-23577679FB5C.gif

IMO, anyone who’s seen @Acinom ’s paraiba would never think such a thing. Of course, one would have to find PS first so they’d be an easy convert. :mrgreen: I’m so happy you’re seeing paraibas differently these days because, man oh man, are they gorgeous!

I love your little chunky paraiba. Personally, I don’t think you can go wrong however you decide to set it (but I am partial to that chunky diamond halo you mentioned).:love:

Sunshinelab

Shiny_Rock
Eeeeeeep. Tracking says it will arrive tomorrow and the seller lives in the same state as me so heres to hoping they dont send it to Texas first and that it comes straight to me!

If so some photos in the sun will be in order on Saturday to brighten your day!

Y'all pray its not late! I cannot wait for this little chunker!!!

Love this! Can’t wait to see pictures... and if you’re still interested in Elizabeth, let me know

LemonMoonLex

Ideal_Rock
Hello everyone!!!
I received it Saturday but was gone for the weekend but my sweet beau drove all the way accross town to our home to go get it and bring it back! If thats not love Idk what is :pray:

When I opened it, & I will be honest, (and keep in mind this is the first real qualifying paraiba I've ever seen in person) it was dark outside and I could only look at it under our artificial kitchen lights and it looked so light, in other words it didnt really resemble the beautifully saturated gem in the above photos/videos that I saw and adored and I felt slightly panicked because I wanted to love it so badly.

It does have a very nice spread and finger presence for a .31ct gem I'll tell ya that! But before jumping to any conclusions or saying anything I decided to sleep on it and wait to see it in the daylight where viewing it under a million different types of lighting would be possible. I did only view it under our kitchen lights after all and theyre pretty unflattering to all gemstones at night.

& I'm so so so glad I did because the indirect sunlight in the corner by a window just lit that baby up from the inside and my heart was full again this morning!

:appl:

Its such a finicky gem in which lighting it likes best! & it really photographs so strangely in that it appears way more saturated! Nobody ever told me this and it came as quite a shock.

Unfortunately its a cloudy day here too, so I have yet to see it in our full on desert sun but I cannot wait! Paraibas really love natural light, or at least mine does. I am so happy that I was able to bring out the glow and saturation that desertroses pictures resembled. For a second I was a little worried in thinking maybe I still just wasnt a paraiba person and made a $300 mistake.

I brought my rg gem silica with me and a couple of yg bands for this weekend and immediately the rg brought out so much glow! So its officially settled; Later this year when I build back up my gem funds I MUST find a jeweler who is comfortable enough to set this gem in it because they are made for each other.
Paraibas + Rose gold = ❤

Because of its dainty size I also think that Ive solidly chosen my chunky diamond halo idea as itd be such a sweet dainty ring!!

At this point im very happy and am still learning more about my chunky little gal!

Its so hard to get a photo with great resolution and focus but yet one thats accurate to its color and saturation.
Without further adieu, here is my lil' paraiba!

20200308_121203~2.jpg 20200308_121153~2.jpg 20200308_121104~2.jpg 20200308_121136~2.jpg 20200307_192057~2.jpg

@prs Ahh thank you! For $300 I think I did pretty darn well! Especially because she has such a nice spread for her dainty size! Desertrose on PS/LT/Instagram has some amazing gemstones for sale. She is a fairy God mother! Ive purchased from her twice so far since January and shes been nothing but kind and flexible.

@strawrose Oh wow I didnt know that! I'll definetely inquire about that when Im ready to set this gemstone. I thought she did but I saw some person on instagram ask her how much itd cost for the particular stone in a certain gold setting and DR replied that she doesnt do setting so I had no idea she can or does set her purchased stones through a certain jeweler! Thanks for that!!

@elle_71125 I had a feeling Id be stabbing a knife through your heart in particular when I wrote that! Im so sorry for doubting the power of the paraiba! Lol Never again will I upset Elle the paraiba fairy! & You know something crazy? Ive admired halos forever but I have never owned or comissioned one EVER! I think that has to change with this stone. :snooty: ;))

@Sunshinelab Heres the photos!!! Shes little but mighty! & Awww youre so damn sweet, and didnt forget! Also how could I forget that gorgeous ring! :kiss2: I dont have the most fruitful gem budget right now but Id still love to get in contact with you. Do you have a LT?

elle_71125

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm happy to see your honest review. Paraibas can definitely photograph as more saturated than they are. My Big Blue (not a paraiba...but still a tourmaline) often does. I joke that the camera just loves that guy. Anyway, the paraiba quality that we usually see is a bit on the lighter side. It’s “more affordable” than the intensely saturated material (which goes for tens of thousands of dollars). Like most people, I can’t afford that top tier quality. However, I know I’m lucky to own the ones I do have...my own little slice of paraiba heaven. The special thing about paraibas is the glow. They just have this special light from within thing...especially under certain lighting. Once you see it, you can’t go back. :love:

I’m also a huge lover of all things halo so I’m jumping for joy hearing your setting plans. It may take time to save the funds back up but it’ll totally be worth the wait. I highly recommend David Klass. I’ve used him for all my paraiba rings and they’ve turn out flawlessly. Oh, and I agree 100% with the rose gold. They are a match made in heaven. :mrgreen:

Sunshinelab

Shiny_Rock
@TheGarnetGirl I love just love this, it’s so beautiful. It’s glowy! I feel like they have a lot of character, but I can never get mine to photograph well. Rose gold will be gorgeous with it.

I do have LT, it’s under Kiraflower... feel free to message me through there ☺.

voce

Ideal_Rock
Ooh, thanks for showing us real life pics. The camera shows the most neon, dreamy blue. :love:

Last edited:

strawrose

Brilliant_Rock
I’m glad it turned out well.

Ah.. I see that comment. I think she means you’d have to find a specific setting to get the cost, which is what I did. You can also trust David Klass with it.

LemonMoonLex

Ideal_Rock
Update: I carried my paraiba in its gem box all day in my fitting baby blue bra today lol

It was my silly little secret!

This paraiba keeps surprising me in that they're like diamonds, as in you have to spend time with them to truly see their full beauty and potential. Only time can reveal their full glow! Its the weirdest thing! Its like everytime I put her away and then take her out, shes more saturated than before. Its the strangest thing!?
:think:

I must just be crazy or is this what we call the "paraiba fever"?!? Haha

Here are some photos which pretty darn closely represent what I see in my bathroom light that contains a mixture of incandescent and indirect natural light. :twirl:

20200309_183437_HDR~3.jpg
20200309_183308.jpg

LemonMoonLex

Ideal_Rock
Update:

:dance: :dance: :dance:

Just paid the first deposit to get this baby set into a ring!!!

@elle_71125 Your 5x6mm paraiba and pink spinel ring is actually my inspiration! I think its such a gorgeous ring and I hope you dont mind me taking inspiration from it! I'm definetely giving a nod to your ring but more so that blue sapphire ring that was your original inspo as mine won't have prongs and will have diamonds.

My paraiba is a fat little girl at 4.63x4.15mm and I will be using eight 2mm white brilliant cut diamonds to halo it. The center will be bezel set with miligrain (no claws/prongs) and the outside diamonds will also have the look of being bezel set through tiny shared prongs and will have miligrain as well. Its going to be in 14k rose gold with a wheat style engraving facing inward!

I'm so happy I'm finally getting my chubby halo for my chunky little para!

My first paraiba ring ever AND my first ever project to include a diamond halo!

A project of sweet firsts :rodent:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results