shape
carat
color
clarity

My first diamond: so many questions!

rugbywing

Rough_Rock
Hey all,

So I think I've picked out what could be "the" diamond. I've done a tonne of research, but yet I find a few questions still spring to mind. Hope you can help!

Here's the stone I've got my eye on (and yes I know it's unavailable because I have it reserved!)
https://www.bluenile.com/diamond-details/LD08283151

So the first question is about eye-cleanliness. There's an obvious black inclusion on the table, but when I scale it down to x2, I can't see it, or any others for that matter. Thoughts on cleanliness would be appreciated!

The next question is about its HCA score: 0.8, with excellent on all counts except the spread (VG). That seems pretty good, but the HCA website says something about scores below 1 being better for earrings/pendants, and 1-2 better for rings. Is that a concern? Or should I be pretty happy with 0.8?

Finally, a durability issue. Blue Nile said they have a note that a feather inclusion breaks the surface on that diamond. How concerned should that make me about durability? I notice there's a feather under the upper girdle facet in the top right, and I've read that can sometimes be a cause for concern. Any expert views on durability?

... And that's about it! Obviously would appreciate any other general thoughts on whether it looks good!

Thanks guys :)

M

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Honestly, with an inclusion under the table and a surface breaking feather (crack), I'd keeping looking, preferably SI1 or higher. The feather may not be a durability issue, but it would bother me. I'd rather haev an I VS2 over an H SI2, generally. It is possible to find good SI2's, but not often.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
with an inclusion under the table and a surface breaking feather

Seen the feather ... would not complicate my life with it. There can be worse: this one does graze (at least) the surface, but does not reach half way through the crystal - you may see worse in another SI2 where a single feather is mostly responsible for the clarity grade.

'Reminds me of the old school way of breaking glass neatly: make a surface cut, place thing half over the edge of a table & hit sharply on the dangling side ...

Knock wood !

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results