shape
carat
color
clarity

My first and probably my last LOGR ring..

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

cushioncutnut

Ideal_Rock
Premium
After I received my setting from LOGR I quickly sent them an email stating my disappointment in the diamonds. They listing stated SI...but they are more like I1-I2....... but I loved the uniqueness of this setting so much, I decided to take a chance and keep it. I took it to a local jeweler and he said he could set it but he is quite busy as it won't be ready until Nov. 20th. He has over 30 years experience. I feel that my stone/ring is in good hands. So I picked it up yesterday and it is quite lovely. He said he had a "heck of a time" setting it ...but if I had any problems, give him a call, He will take care of it. I came home, took the ring off before I started doing some cleaning. I picked the ring up to put back on and take pictures of it and low and behold a diamond fell out. I called my jeweler right away asking him if any diamonds had fallen out while trying to set it and he said he had no problems with that whatsoever. Although it is not his fault that the diamond fell out, he said to bring it in and he would replace it NO CHARGE!! I sent LOGR an email telling them my situation and that I didn't want to send the ring back since I had invested in having the stone set and would have to pay for shipping... I was hoping for a little compensation for what I feel could be an ongoing problem. I did remind them that I was a Pricescope member and that I have yet to post feedback on Ebay. Here is there response:

Please be aware that the ring your bought is a pave ring, which means the small diamonds are set under a microscope and hold in place by micro prongs, if the jeweler does not have the skill to handle it,indeed the small diamonds will fall out of the pave.
According to your description, the mount was ruined and the jeweler cannot fix it, please ask the jeweler to un-mount the center stone, return the mount to our customer service office for a refund.
an email with return instructions will be sent to you soon. I am very sorry that we have not warned you against this kind of mishandling and I apologize for all the inconvenience caused by the return. please tell your experience on Pricescope if possible so that more customers are aware of this issue. You are not the first one run into this problem, nor the last one, hopefully more and more customers are getting enough knowledge about pave rings in the future.

MY response!

My Jeweler is quite competent...in fact he has over 30 years of experience... the diamond fell out when I got home. The metal work around the diamonds is "shoddy".... it has NOTHING to do with my jewelers incompetence. The stone is perfectly set.... I am familiar with pave work as I have several pieces. ...What I am saying is what I should have done in the first place...return the ring...but I wanted to take a chance on this as it really is a unique piece. I paid to have the stone set...now I would have to pay to have it unset/ and shipping fees to return it. It would be easier to keep it and offer me some compensation if any ongoing problems go on.... I don't know how you read that my jeweler is incompetent. I use to sell jewelry years ago. I am not your "average" consumer who takes my jewelery to any jeweler. Knowing that I am a member of Pricescope would also clue you in that I am pretty savvy when it comes to jewelry. Pave or not, you should stand behind your product and not try to blame the jeweler!

As I look at the metal around the diamonds...I just worry that there may be a domino effect taking place.
14.gif
I am not one to be conflictual...but I do want them to stand behind there product and not try to blame a jeweler for a piece that is in my opinion, defective and could have continual problems. I feel that my jeweler went above and beyond when HE did not have to. So all that said, I am not losing sleep over this by any means. I think it is a lovely ring and I am glad I did not pay one penny more for it.......I just don't trust the craftmanship. I am glad that those who have bought lovely pieces from LOGR are happy with thier pieces. Unfortunately, I will not purchase from them again-and even moreso since they have bumped up thier prices!
14.gif

Picture with missing diamond... ( keep in mind, I am very careful with my jewelry!!) ETA... wrong picture...

DSCF6680.JPG

cushioncutnut

Ideal_Rock
Premium
A few more pics.... it really is a unique piece!

DSCF6653.JPG

cushioncutnut

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Picture with missing diamond... (need more coffee!)

DSCF6631.JPG

cushioncutnut

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sotherby''s catalog!
18.gif

DSCF6707.JPG

cushioncutnut

Ideal_Rock
Premium
another

DSCF6708.JPG

cushioncutnut

Ideal_Rock
Premium
41.gif

DSCF6688.JPG

cushioncutnut

Ideal_Rock
Premium
41.gif

DSCF6703.JPG

geckodani

Ideal_Rock
I''m so sorry you''re having problems with the setting!
7.gif
It looks beautiful though!
36.gif

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/21/2008 9:00:18 AM
Author

My Jeweler is quite competent...in fact he has over 30 years of experience... the diamond fell out when I got home. The metal work around the diamonds is ''shoddy''.... it has NOTHING to do with my jewelers incompetence.

HI:

OOPs! I know you didn''t mean that.... anyway, I feel for you, sorry for your trouble. But the ring looks lovely....

cheers--Sharon

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Unfortunately I''ve said it before and I''ll say it again, you get what you pay for with pave. I really hope they take care of this to your satisfaction though!!!

cushioncutnut

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/21/2008 9:25:18 AM
Author: canuk-gal

Date: 11/21/2008 9:00:18 AM
Author

My Jeweler is quite competent...in fact he has over 30 years of experience... the diamond fell out when I got home. The metal work around the diamonds is 'shoddy'.... it has NOTHING to do with my jewelers incompetence.

HI:

OOPs! I know you didn't mean that.... anyway, I feel for you, sorry for your trouble. But the ring looks lovely....

cheers--Sharon
oops... I guess I need to proofread... need more coffee...
14.gif

Sizzle

Brilliant_Rock
It looks like a beautiful ring! It''s a shame that the craftsmanship is not what you want it to be. I have heard mixed reviews about these settings so far.. seems hit or miss.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
CCN,
I''m so sorry for your troubles. That is a gorgeous ring, and the stone really is magnificent. I do hope the LOGR guy at least compensates you for something. I know he wouldn''t compensate me for shipping or anything when he sent me the wrong ring. Like you, he only offerred a refund. I hope it''s the opposite case with you.

mochi

Ideal_Rock
It is a lovely ring and the setting is beautiful. So sad about the workmanship....

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I''m so sorry you''re having such problems with your ring! It really is a most gorgeous ring, though.

cushioncutnut

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/21/2008 9:52:44 AM
Author: tourmaline_lover
CCN,
I''m so sorry for your troubles. That is a gorgeous ring, and the stone really is magnificent. I do hope the LOGR guy at least compensates you for something. I know he wouldn''t compensate me for shipping or anything when he sent me the wrong ring. Like you, he only offerred a refund. I hope it''s the opposite case with you.

I think he could at least have offered you shipping to send it back. I just got an email response from them that seems to shift the blame on my jeweler.
8.gif
Pave can be a bit touchy...but if you saw the metal work up close, you can tell that I may have a lifetime of problems. They did offer for me to send it back and they will give me return shipping fees. Still debating as I think it is such a romantic/lovely piece! OH... and I did tell them that other PS members have had diamonds fall out too...

Sigh... I guess I really wanted to believe I could get a knock-out ring at a nice price. What is so wrong with that? I was hoping that this setting wouldn''t be a "you get what you paid for piece" as I know several of you are thrilled with your purchases. At this point, it would be smart for me to return it. I don''t want to be pyranoid that another diamond is going to fall out everytime I wear it. A competent jeweler can only do so much not to mention my wallet if I have to keep replacing the diamonds.
3.gif

dancingflame

Shiny_Rock
I''m so sorry you are having problems, but that is a GORGEOUS ring!

blondebunny

Brilliant_Rock
omg that is so sad... i thought that setting was gorgeous.. i hope he does something!

ma re

Ideal_Rock
I have to say I''m not surprised. Pave is one of the most complicated settings to do, so getting an affordable pave is kind of asking for trouble. Also, degree by which a company stands behind their products usually tells everything you need to know about quality. Usually you pay several times more for repairs in the long run, than what you save with these "bargains".

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
Your ring is beautiful and I do love the setting, but I am really sorry you are having so much trouble with it.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/21/2008 10:11:32 AM
Author: cushioncutnut

CCN,
I'm so sorry for your troubles. That is a gorgeous ring, and the stone really is magnificent. I do hope the LOGR guy at least compensates you for something. I know he wouldn't compensate me for shipping or anything when he sent me the wrong ring. Like you, he only offerred a refund. I hope it's the opposite case with you.

I think he could at least have offered you shipping to send it back. I just got an email response from them that seems to shift the blame on my jeweler.
8.gif
Pave can be a bit touchy...but if you saw the metal work up close, you can tell that I may have a lifetime of problems. They did offer for me to send it back and they will give me return shipping fees. Still debating as I think it is such a romantic/lovely piece! OH... and I did tell them that other PS members have had diamonds fall out too...

Sigh... I guess I really wanted to believe I could get a knock-out ring at a nice price. What is so wrong with that? I was hoping that this setting wouldn't be a 'you get what you paid for piece' as I know several of you are thrilled with your purchases. At this point, it would be smart for me to return it. I don't want to be pyranoid that another diamond is going to fall out everytime I wear it. A competent jeweler can only do so much not to mention my wallet if I have to keep replacing the diamonds.
3.gif
When I received my white gold round halo LOGR, I decided not to return it even though they sent me the wrong ring. The reason I didn't return it was because the workmanship on that piece seemed higher quality than the first piece I ordered from them. My first piece, a yellow gold halo was nice, but I did notice some shoddy casting (it was lumpy) and it wasn't very symmetrical in the halo or the intricate gallery. I also custom ordered the size of it, and perhaps that caused issues as well.

Here's my theory about LOGR pieces. There are probably several people working on these pieces in a factory. I think some of these people may have better skills than other. Perhaps specific pieces are sent to the master setters and casters, and the lesser priced ones are used on the trainees or less skilled workers. That's my theory anyways. I'm so sorry for your bad luck with this piece.

ETA: I think your jeweler did a fantastic job setting it even though the stone's depth and the setting offerred some challenges. He does sound like a very competent jeweler as you indicate.

cushioncutnut

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/21/2008 10:38:12 AM

Date: 11/21/2008 10:11:32 AM
Author: cushioncutnut

CCN,

8.gif

Sigh... I guess I really wanted to believe I could get a knock-out ring at a nice price. What is so wrong with that? I was hoping that this setting wouldn''t be a ''you get what you paid for piece'' as I know several of you are thrilled with your purchases. At this point, it would be smart for me to return it. I don''t want to be pyranoid that another diamond is going to fall out everytime I wear it. A competent jeweler can only do so much not to mention my wallet if I have to keep replacing the diamonds.
3.gif
When I received my white gold round halo LOGR, I decided not to return it even though they sent me the wrong ring. The reason I didn''t return it was because the workmanship on that piece seemed higher quality than the first piece I ordered from them. My first piece, a yellow gold halo was nice, but I did notice some shoddy casting (it was lumpy) and it wasn''t very symmetrical in the halo or the intricate gallery. I also custom ordered the size of it, and perhaps that caused issues as well.

Here''s my theory about LOGR pieces. There are probably several people working on these pieces in a factory. I think some of these people may have better skills than other. Perhaps specific pieces are sent to the master setters and casters, and the lesser priced ones are used on the trainees or less skilled workers. That''s my theory anyways. I''m so sorry for your bad luck with this piece.

I do remember that piece quite well. I was very impressed with the quality of it based on the pictures and your review of it. I would have kept it too. Gorgeous! I have worked in the jewelry sales industry several years ago. In fact, I use to oversee any goldsmith work coming in and going out.... so I knew when I recieved this setting,... it was chancy. I also knew that it was mass produced on an assembly line. I know that I can only expect so much, therefore, I am not going to be difficult. It all comes down to what decision I make as to whether I keep it or not. But I do feel that things should be called to the attention of LOGR ...especially if they are going to raise thier prices....but not thier craftmanship.

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock
First of all, CCN, that ring is really unique and beautiful! I really do love your Kunzite in it!

Secondly, I'm sorry you had to deal with a lost stone already. I hate to see this happening to you, and I think I've just lucked out on all of my settings.

Thirdly, some advice - whenever I take a setting and stone into my jeweler, I ask him to check all of the pave, and tighten what needs to be tightened. It costs me about $60 - $70 depending on the ring, but as such, in the several months I've had the rings, I've never lost a stone, and I've even been really bad with one or two (before they were set) and put them in the US.

Maybe instead of just replacing the diamond, your jeweler could check each and every stone, and repair what needs to be repaired now.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/21/2008 11:45:43 AM
Author: LaurenThePartier
First of all, CCN, that ring is really unique and beautiful! I really do love your Morganite in it!

Secondly, I''m sorry you had to deal with a lost stone already. I hate to see this happening to you, and I think I''ve just lucked out on all of my settings.

Thirdly, some advice - whenever I take a setting and stone into my jeweler, I ask him to check all of the pave, and tighten what needs to be tightened. It costs me about $60 - $70 depending on the ring, but as such, in the several months I''ve had the rings, I''ve never lost a stone, and I''ve even been really bad with one or two (before they were set) and put them in the US.

Maybe instead of just replacing the diamond, your jeweler could check each and every stone, and repair what needs to be repaired now.
My issue with the extra work to do this is that these settings are inexpensive to begin with. My jeweler would charge anywhere from $60 to $100 to set the stone, and if I tack on another $60 to $70 to fix the other issues, that''s probably almost as much as the mounting itself, or half the price of the mount. My big thing with any pave or microset piece is this - make sure you tell your jeweler to never put it in the ultrasonic cleaner. I can''t believe some jewelers still use US cleaners because they''re not only unsafe for pave, but for certain gemstones, and they use the same dirty liquid they use to clean everyone else''s rings. Well, I''m going off on a tangent now, but I think the point is that although the settings are inexpensive, I don''t think you should have to pay a ton of money to have them fixed, in particular as CCN states, he''s substantially raised his prices.

cushioncutnut

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/21/2008 11:55:24 AM

First of all, CCN, that ring is really unique and beautiful! I really do love your Morganite in it!

Secondly, I''m sorry you had to deal with a lost stone already. I hate to see this happening to you, and I think I''ve just lucked out on all of my settings.

Thirdly, some advice - whenever I take a setting and stone into my jeweler, I ask him to check all of the pave, and tighten what needs to be tightened. It costs me about $60 - $70 depending on the ring, but as such, in the several months I''ve had the rings, I''ve never lost a stone, and I''ve even been really bad with one or two (before they were set) and put them in the US.

My issue with the extra work to do this is that these settings are inexpensive to begin with. My jeweler would charge anywhere from $60 to $100 to set the stone, and if I tack on another $60 to $70 to fix the other issues, that''s probably almost as much as the mounting itself, or half the price of the mount. My big thing with any pave or microset piece is this - make sure you tell your jeweler to never put it in the ultrasonic cleaner. I can''t believe some jewelers still use US cleaners because they''re not only unsafe for pave, but for certain gemstones, and they use the same dirty liquid they use to clean everyone else''s rings. Well, I''m going off on a tangent now, but I think the point is that although the settings are inexpensive, I don''t think you should have to pay a ton of money to have them fixed, in particular as CCN states, he''s substantially raised his prices.

I agree, I bought the setting in the first place because it was the right price, the right design and something large enough to fit my stone. I shouldn''t have to spend XXX amount of dollars more for a piece that LOGR raves over. ..OH and I didn''t mention it before, but when I called my jeweler about the diamond falling out.......the first question I asked him is if he noticed any looseness of stones. He said he did check them after he set the Kunzite, and they appeared to be o.k. in the setting. He said no diamonds fell out while he was setting the stone. I think my jeweler is going above and beyond to set another diamond into the setting .......He is doing it no charge, therefore, I am at a crossroads as to what to do... keep it and take a chance on other diamonds falling out..which could get costly.........or send it back and lose the charge to set/unset it .....and live and learn my lesson. But dang it... I really had high hopes for this fun project!! I guess I can focus on my sapphire project waiting in the wings!!
36.gif
Thanks everyone for letting me do a little venting....... I hope that my thread will at least shed a little light as to what other may be in for who may be considering an LOGR setting.
1.gif

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Pretty ring. I hope the fix works out & you can enjoy it without more problems. I''m smiling a bit though because this thread is a bit like: FURIOUS THAT THING TOO GOOD TO BE TRUE WAS ACTUALLY TOO GOOD TO BE TRUE! If something seems too good to be true, it is ... and if it isn''t, give it time.
1.gif

cushioncutnut

Ideal_Rock
Premium
LOL.... I am beating myself up because I really should have went with my first instinct......... As I look at the pictures, it really is a unique piece. Oh what to do, what to do.......
33.gif

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Gorgeous ring. I''m sorry about your troubles. And blaming it on the the "incompetence" of your jeweler was a really awful thing to do. Have you gotten a reply to your last email?

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/21/2008 11:55:24 AM

First of all, CCN, that ring is really unique and beautiful! I really do love your Kunzite in it!

Secondly, I'm sorry you had to deal with a lost stone already. I hate to see this happening to you, and I think I've just lucked out on all of my settings.

Thirdly, some advice - whenever I take a setting and stone into my jeweler, I ask him to check all of the pave, and tighten what needs to be tightened. It costs me about $60 - $70 depending on the ring, but as such, in the several months I've had the rings, I've never lost a stone, and I've even been really bad with one or two (before they were set) and put them in the US.

My issue with the extra work to do this is that these settings are inexpensive to begin with. My jeweler would charge anywhere from $60 to $100 to set the stone, and if I tack on another $60 to $70 to fix the other issues, that's probably almost as much as the mounting itself, or half the price of the mount. My big thing with any pave or microset piece is this - make sure you tell your jeweler to never put it in the ultrasonic cleaner. I can't believe some jewelers still use US cleaners because they're not only unsafe for pave, but for certain gemstones, and they use the same dirty liquid they use to clean everyone else's rings. Well, I'm going off on a tangent now, but I think the point is that although the settings are inexpensive, I don't think you should have to pay a ton of money to have them fixed, in particular as CCN states, he's substantially raised his prices.
I'm sorry I wasn't clear - that's $60 - $70 total to set and check the stones.

Snooper

Brilliant_Rock
Oh that''s too bad
7.gif
But shady that they say their diamonds (on the pave) are Si and are i1-i2. That being said I don''t buy his suggestion that YOU should look for a skilled benchman/jeweler!
29.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results