shape
carat
color
clarity

My first ACA - Adore the cut but see too much warmth in G!

GracieG

Rough_Rock
Hello all,

I have been reading up a lot on this site and moved forward with an ACA AGS cert 1.8ct/G round diamond. This stone is a replacement for my lost ring I had, 1ct/F round GIA XXX. I also have a pair of 1.8ct total earring studs that are D/E color, GIA XXX with ideal measurements. I love icy white diamonds and I know I am color sensitive. I also thought the super ideal cut would compensate for one lower grade, but I am not loving the warmth I see in G when viewing from the top down and through the crown. I see yellow and I so am in love with the cut. It is superb!

Do you think once it is set into a platinum setting will mask the warmth? If so, what setting would you suggest? I've seen a lot of VC and would love a halo with plain shank, or perhaps a fancy six prongs solitaire with a nice profile, with some side stones.

Do you think I will be happy in the long run? Or should I return and keep looking? This is a nice size that fit my current budget. I am not sure I was able to capture the color differences onto the photos.

Please help me sort this through.

Many thanks!!!!

photo_15.png

photo_16.png

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Re: My first ACA - Adore the cut but see too much warmth in

I think you should upgrade to a higher color before setting it.

If your comparison is based on holding it next to your D/E color earrings then thats not really a realistic comparison in that you
will never have your ering up by your ears (you will pretty much see it alone on your finger).

If your evaluation is from just viewing it by its self and you see too much color then I think you should upgrade in color before you
have it set.

GracieG

Rough_Rock

tyty333|1469287145|4058605 said:
I think you should upgrade to a higher color before setting it.

If your comparison is based on holding it next to your D/E color earrings then thats not really a realistic comparison in that you
will never have your ering up by your ears (you will pretty much see it alone on your finger).

If your evaluation is from just viewing it by its self and you see too much color then I think you should upgrade in color before you
have it set.

Hi Tyty333,
I did both - it was more apparent when it was side-by-side, and when I viewed it alone on my hand I don't see the icy white that I love but a tinted yellow.

rocks

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

Return it. You will always see the yellow in the stone if you are seeing it now. I am very color sensitive, and for me, g screams yellow. Having d/e earrings makes it worse because you will always compare the earrings with your ring. Doesn't make the 1.8 g color stone any less beautiful.....just not in your eyes.

Rivendell

Shiny_Rock

If you don't like it now you'll never like it so I'd return. I'm colour sensitive and the bigger the stone the more you can see the tint. I prefer DEF colour diamonds personally.

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Return it. If it bugs you now, it will just bug you more over time. It's ok. If icy white is your preference, go with what you love. It's too big an investment to compromise.

Q

Queenie60

If you're color sensitive - I would suggest that you return the stone and upgrade the color. You will not be happy with it in the long term and that's not good! :| Good luck - I hope you find what you're looking for :wavey:

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

An F color in an ACA would be a dream!!! Go for it now so you don't have regrets! My original diamond was F color and it has been hard for me to go lower, but I have learned to because I prefer the prices on near colorless stones!

Yes, F color costs more, but over the years, you will never regret going for what you know you love. You have to do it before investing in a setting. Also have WF check color for you if there is more than one possible diamond so they can help you choose a mid to high F color. If the size you want is not in budget, I'd just wait a little longer. But I wouldn't wait too long because prices are relatively low now and no one can predict how long that might last.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

Are you.sure it's warmth and.not the.colored.light? My BGD stones.caught more colored light than any other diamond I own. It could have been mistaken for body color.

GracieG

Rough_Rock

Thanks all for your input! I really want to love this stone and have a ring made ASAP. Not having a ring I do at times feel naked on my hands. I am viewing it by a window in natural light, and seeing the tint but it's not a small investment so I think I will have to dread returning it :wall:

I was also interested in this GIA cert 1.75ct/D/SI1/61.4%/55%/7.77mm. It also has excellent HCA score. What do you think of this one? Should I consider it?

vivian_idealscope.jpg

vivian_aset_image.jpg

vivian__arrows.jpg

vivian_hearts.jpg

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

If it is eyeclean, has a crown over 34, and a depth of under 62.3 AND the shank is not too thin, it's lovely.

GracieG

Rough_Rock

Gypsy|1469313526|4058714 said:
If it is eyeclean, has a crown over 34, and a depth of under 62.3 AND the shank is not too thin, it's lovely.

Hi Gypsy,
It has a 34.5 crown and 61.4 dept, but the cert was in 2014. I don't like too thin of a shank either. Any concern with this being a couple years old and not sold?

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

GracieG|1469315459|4058728 said:
Gypsy|1469313526|4058714 said:

Hi Gypsy,
It has a 34.5 crown and 61.4 dept, but the cert was in 2014. I don't like too thin of a shank either. Any concern with this being a couple years old and not sold?

Ask them if it was a trade in and why it is from 2014. I personally would want a trade-in re-papered.

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

For what it is worth, I don't see yellow in the picture you provided. Larger stones can have a different appearance than smaller ones and in well cut stones you see scintillation much better than in a smaller stone. However, if something about the stone bothered me, I surely wouldn't settle for it. As others have said, it won't get better over time. The human mind never seems to work that way - stuff doesn't usually 'grow' on you.

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

If it bothers you now it probably always will. I would trade it for a higher color diamond.

Marcy

fair75

Rough_Rock

I have read some postings on here and from other sites, and it seems a few reported that their AGS certified stones are not as white as GIA ones within the same color grades. Moreover, some even suggested that AGS is a bit softer on colors than GIA. Of course, there seems to be no consensus on this issue. For the most part, AGS papers are comparable to GIA ones. However, if you are color sensitive and worried about this, you can either go for at least colorless diamonds or ask the vendor to look at the stone you want. If I were you, I would ask them to evaluate even the F-color diamonds. Like I mentioned in my other posts, the reported color on a certificate is a range. Even an F-color diamond may look closer to a G if it's a borderline F. It may not hurt to even ask the vendor to pull out diamonds that are considered the higher color in that grade. For example, they may be able to pull out some F-color diamonds that are considered the whitest in that grade and compare them to the F you are interested. Then they could tell you if the F you want is the borderline F or closer to an E.

rocks

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

There is a lot going on in the dsi1 (though I love the combination). It may not be eye clean. Also, does it have any meaningful fluorescence? That could explain the old gia certificate. That said, if it is eye clean, it is worth a serious look.

GracieG

Rough_Rock

The vendor for the D/SI1 said per their "partner gemologist" it's was not a trade-in, but held off the market for better sale opportunity when the diamond price is higher. They said it is eye-clean, but has a medium fluorescence that does not have any negative effects. However the vendor is a drop shipper and provides 30 days return. I am a bit hesitate on their comment about the market is better now than it was.

Do you think under normal viewing condition the appearance between ACA and a GIA XXX like this one of similar specs can be discerned in real life? Should I go for it or wait for another colorless ACA comes online? I understand the price on the ACA would be higher than a non branded stone.

GracieG

Rough_Rock

fair75|1469331061|4058763 said:
I have read some postings on here and from other sites, and it seems a few reported that their AGS certified stones are not as white as GIA ones within the same color grades. Moreover, some even suggested that AGS is a bit softer on colors than GIA. Of course, there seems to be no consensus on this issue. For the most part, AGS papers are comparable to GIA ones. However, if you are color sensitive and worried about this, you can either go for at least colorless diamonds or ask the vendor to look at the stone you want. If I were you, I would ask them to evaluate even the F-color diamonds. Like I mentioned in my other posts, the reported color on a certificate is a range. Even an F-color diamond may look closer to a G if it's a borderline F. It may not hurt to even ask the vendor to pull out diamonds that are considered the higher color in that grade. For example, they may be able to pull out some F-color diamonds that are considered the whitest in that grade and compare them to the F you are interested. Then they could tell you if the F you want is the borderline F or closer to an E.

Hi Fair 75 - I'm glad you pointed this out for me. My sister has a GIA/xxx/G and granted her diamond is smaller but looks much more near colorless than this AGS/1.8ct/G AGS cert. To my eyes it's creamy as if it's between an H/I color.

ac117

Ideal_Rock
Premium

GracieG|1469457484|4059073 said:

Hi Fair 75 - I'm glad you pointed this out for me. My sister has a GIA/xxx/G and granted her diamond is smaller but looks much more near colorless than this AGS/1.8ct/G AGS cert. To my eyes it's creamy as if it's between an H/I color.

Hi Gracie! I agree with Fair75 - I looked at AGS super ideals at GOG when I started my upgrade search and found that H/I was very creamy to me and G still had a noticeable bit of tint. I hunted for quite a while and finally found a stunning GIA G that falls within AGS 000 parameters and it still icy white! I was coming from an E colored stone and am also color sensitive. If it bothers you now, it always will. If it's important to you to have the super ideal cut, then definitely hold off on a better color if you can stretch your budget to meet that requirement. Otherwise, hunting to find the perfect GIA cut stone is a great option as well if you have time, patience and a vendor who could provide images!

GracieG

Rough_Rock

ac117|1469459621|4059082 said:

Hi Gracie! I agree with Fair75 - I looked at AGS super ideals at GOG when I started my upgrade search and found that H/I was very creamy to me and G still had a noticeable bit of tint. I hunted for quite a while and finally found a stunning GIA G that falls within AGS 000 parameters and it still icy white! I was coming from an E colored stone and am also color sensitive. If it bothers you now, it always will. If it's important to you to have the super ideal cut, then definitely hold off on a better color if you can stretch your budget to meet that requirement. Otherwise, hunting to find the perfect GIA cut stone is a great option as well if you have time, patience and a vendor who could provide images!

Hi AC117! Thanks for another confirmation. I thought I was being too critical of its color. Your 3+ct is TDF!!!! I think I am not keen on a super ideal cut, as long as it's crisp and sparky and the difference can't be discerned by the human eyes. I wish I live on the East Coast!

rocks

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

Re the partner gemologist, i'm not buying their explanation, and I doubt that they know whether the stone was preloved. Real question is, do you care?

D color stones with medium, strong or very strong fluorescence are hard to sell. As for your question about branded vs gia xxx...a subset of gia xxx stones would qualify for branding, but not all gia xxx. Some people can see the difference and others think they can. It is all about what' will make you happy long term. Personally, I wouldn't buy a d thru f with fluorescence... that is my personal preference...but I wouldn't rule it out for someone who likes it

ac117

Ideal_Rock
Premium

GracieG|1469460618|4059091 said:

Hi AC117! Thanks for another confirmation. I thought I was being too critical of its color. Your 3+ct is TDF!!!! I think I am not keen on a super ideal cut, as long as it's crisp and sparky and the difference can't be discerned by the human eyes. I wish I live on the East Coast!

Thank you!!! I haven't featured her after I got her set, but I think it may be helpful to you so here are a couple of pics - the first two are taken in what I consider the "worst lighting" and the last pic was taken outside. I absolutely love her and was perfectly happy not having the super ideal label to be able to achieve the size and color I wanted. I could've easily gotten a super ideal 'I' but I know that the color would eat away at me over time in a MRB. ;))

img_12389.jpg

img_12390.jpg

img_12391.jpg

GracieG

Rough_Rock

ac117|1469469591|4059132 said:
GracieG|1469460618|4059091 said:

Thank you!!! I haven't featured her after I got her set, but I think it may be helpful to you so here are a couple of pics - the first two are taken in what I consider the "worst lighting" and the last pic was taken outside. I absolutely love her and was perfectly happy not having the super ideal label to be able to achieve the size and color I wanted. I could've easily gotten a super ideal 'I' but I know that the color would eat away at me over time in a MRB. ;))

Wow AC117, It looks great on your hand, is definitely a shower, and classy ring. If I can get you to be my personal shopper for something similar?! love it! :love: :love: :love: :love:

fair75

Rough_Rock

After reading GraiceG and ac117's latest responses, I decided to take out my GIA D and G triple Ex loose stones (no florescence) and compare them side by side again. I have done this before when I first got my G diamond, but I didn't closely examine both. I only quickly compared the two in face-up position and remembered it was difficult for me to see the color differences.

Upon close examination, this is what I noticed. First, I compared both face down on a piece of white paper. The reason for this is that ideal-cut diamonds look whiter than their actual graded colors when you view them from the top. All that brilliance, fire and sparkles won't give you an accurate assessment of the color. I am not an expert, but I did detect a very slight trace of yellow in the G stone when I look at the two diamonds faced down. It was not easy to notice but I was able to see that. However, things changed when I looked at them faced up. That was when I remembered how hard it was for me to decide which one was the G. Both appeared to be icy white. I was amazed by how an extremely well-cut G diamond would look when compared next to the D. After staring at both for like 10 minutes, I finally noticed that the D looked slightly more icy white. Maybe for people who are very color sensitive, they can tell more easily. But for me, it was a struggle. lol

In my opinion, my G-color diamond looks icy white, even when it is next to the D. So I believe that a very nice G stone shouldn't look like an H/I. But if you noticed that your sister's GIA G stone looks more colorless than your AGS G, then you should look for a better one like what many PS members have suggested.

I also agree with ac117 that either you go for an ACA that is D/E/F (most likely a pricier option) or find an excellent GIA diamond that qualifies for AGS triple 000 with its ideal proportions (most likely less expensive, but requires more effort and patience). I think you would have an easier time finding a good GIA stone if you search using the ideal parameters found in super ideal diamonds. I found that by doing so, I would most likely get a great GIA stone that is competitive with branded super ideals in terms of light performance and at the same time benefits from GIA's stricter grading (in my personal experience) on colors.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results