shape
carat
color
clarity

My fingernail is catching on the edge but no visible chip

weagle

Rough_Rock
Hello experts!
just wanted some input on what may be going on with my diamond. I bought a 2.7 ct pear shaped diamond and it does not have a certificate. I don’t plan on selling it and I’m not too caught up on that. It’s beautiful to me (May not be up to PS standards ). The jeweler allowed me to view it with his loupe and I feel that he was honest. Here is my concern...since I have taken the diamond home I have had the chance to really study it with my own 10x loupe and I’m ok with any imperfections (it’s eye clean) BUT i ran my fingernail around the outline of the diamond and my fingernail kinda snagged a little on one spot. When looking at it without magnification I don’t see a chip. (It’s in the curve of the pear). Under 10x magnification I think I’m able to see something that resembles a crystal. Should I be concerned ? Advice? Thanks in advance

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hello experts!
just wanted some input on what may be going on with my diamond. I bought a 2.7 ct pear shaped diamond and it does not have a certificate. I don’t plan on selling it and I’m not too caught up on that. It’s beautiful to me (May not be up to PS standards ). The jeweler allowed me to view it with his loupe and I feel that he was honest. Here is my concern...since I have taken the diamond home I have had the chance to really study it with my own 10x loupe and I’m ok with any imperfections (it’s eye clean) BUT i ran my fingernail around the outline of the diamond and my fingernail kinda snagged a little on one spot. When looking at it without magnification I don’t see a chip. (It’s in the curve of the pear). Under 10x magnification I think I’m able to see something that resembles a crystal. Should I be concerned ? Advice? Thanks in advance

The best way to try to see a small chip near the girdle like this that you can feel is to get really strong side lighting THEN look at it under the loupe, and see if you can catch the glimmer of light or shadow off the edge.

I wouldn't be concerned about it, personally, if you paid a good price.

weagle

Rough_Rock
The best way to try to see a small chip near the girdle like this that you can feel is to get really strong side lighting THEN look at it under the loupe, and see if you can catch the glimmer of light or shadow off the edge.

I wouldn't be concerned about it, personally, if you paid a good price.

Thank you for the reply. Yes I paid a good price and I have insurance so maybe I shouldn’t worry. It was shipped directly from the cutter (in NY) this week so surely they were ok with selling it? It was then mounted by a different person. I’m hoping between those three men (cutter, mounter and jeweler), SURELY one of them would have identified if it was something detrimental/a great risk. I guess maybe I was wondering if this was unusual....just felt a bit uneasy thinking it might be easily cracked BCC72B51-E171-410A-AD49-B031B20271AA.jpeg

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you for the reply. Yes I paid a good price and I have insurance so maybe I shouldn’t worry. It was shipped directly from the cutter (in NY) this week so surely they were ok with selling it? It was then mounted by a different person. I’m hoping between those three men (cutter, mounter and jeweler), SURELY one of them would have identified if it was something detrimental/a great risk. I guess maybe I was wondering if this was unusual....just felt a bit uneasy thinking it might be easily cracked BCC72B51-E171-410A-AD49-B031B20271AA.jpeg

If concerned, I'd take it to an appraiser to ask their opinion.

My engagement ring sapphire has a similar thing - I can feel a thing with my fingernail but need greater than 10x magnification to see it. In over ten years of wear it hasn't posed a problem. But sapphires are less "chippy" than diamonds, and what is fine in one stone isn't necessarily fine in another. But an appraiser could evaluate the individual risk to your stone.

weagle

Rough_Rock
If concerned, I'd take it to an appraiser to ask their opinion.

My engagement ring sapphire has a similar thing - I can feel a thing with my fingernail but need greater than 10x magnification to see it. In over ten years of wear it hasn't posed a problem. But sapphires are less "chippy" than diamonds, and what is fine in one stone isn't necessarily fine in another. But an appraiser could evaluate the individual risk to your stone.

Thank you for your input. The man I bought it from is an appraiser and is a member of some board of appraised so I would think he would be legit? He did an appraisal on it but there is no comment about the issue I’m concerned with. Chances are he didn’t notice. I would have never noticed if I weren’t being critical about it (since
It was new to me) also , men don’t have fingernails so he would not be able to feel it. ?

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you for your input. The man I bought it from is an appraiser and is a member of some board of appraised so I would think he would be legit? He did an appraisal on it but there is no comment about the issue I’m concerned with. Chances are he didn’t notice. I would have never noticed if I weren’t being critical about it (since
It was new to me) also , men don’t have fingernails so he would not be able to feel it. ?

Oh, I mean get it appraised by an independent appraiser - someone not only unconnected with the jeweler you bought it from but who does not buy or sell jewelry and so has no skin in the game other than being valuable to you by giving you accurate information. The seller's interests and your interests may diverge here so it is useful to have a third party look at the item. There is a list of some appraisers under the "resources" tab here and you can look up your location and see if any come up.

weagle

Rough_Rock
Oh, I mean get it appraised by an independent appraiser - someone not only unconnected with the jeweler you bought it from but who does not buy or sell jewelry and so has no skin in the game other than being valuable to you by giving you accurate information. The seller's interests and your interests may diverge here so it is useful to have a third party look at the item. There is a list of some appraisers under the "resources" tab here and you can look up your location and see if any come up.

Oh ok. Thank you!

caolsen

Brilliant_Rock
Is the girdle frosted or polished? I have an old pear with a frosted, non polished girdle and it used to catch fine threads before I set the stone in a bezel. The frosted girdle was like a strip of Velcro on the side of the stone.

weagle

Rough_Rock
It’s a new stone so I imagine it’s polished. After a little bit of research I’m wondering if it’s indented natural inclusion. It’s a new stone and has not been dropped by me.

Texas Leaguer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
It’s a new stone so I imagine it’s polished. After a little bit of research I’m wondering if it’s indented natural inclusion. It’s a new stone and has not been dropped by me.

A natural at the girdle is good possibility. It is common for cutters to leave small areas of the rough diamond at the girdle line to save weight. In most cases they are a non-issue.

It could also be a break in the surface such as a feather that might be hard to see to a non-expert, but can be felt with a fingernail. This too is typically a non-issue if it is small enough to be difficult to see under magnification.

But it could be something that raises a durability issue, and since you clearly have some concerns it would be wise to have the diamond reviewed by a qualified, independent expert.

weagle

Rough_Rock
Thank you for your opinion Texas Leaguer. It makes me feel a little better. I was able to capture a picture that actually highlights the area of question even better than in person. 9912B034-3442-488F-8AD8-D444A32B21BE.jpeg

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
If it has a faceted girdle its possible to have a tiny raised area near the curves where one facet runs into another.
When I was learning an old time local jeweler pointed it out to me.
You could feel it with a fingernail.
I would assume its also possible in a polished girdle.
Remember if its not visible at 10x it doesn't exist in the diamond world.
In the machining world it would be called a burr.

Sunstorm

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
It could be a natural at the girdle, I had a pear with several. Your stone should probably be fine. But I cannot tell on an online forum. An expert has to see it in person because it can also be a surface reaching inclusion. Your best bet is to take it to an independent reputable appraiser. Keep us posted.

weagle

Rough_Rock
It could be a natural at the girdle, I had a pear with several. Your stone should probably be fine. But I cannot tell on an online forum. An expert has to see it in person because it can also be a surface reaching inclusion. Your best bet is to take it to an independent reputable appraiser. Keep us posted.

Thank you!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results