shape
carat
color
clarity

My experience with Leon Mege

Karen Gannon

Rough_Rock
Hi bling lover friends. I haven't posted on Pricescope although have enjoyed reading the forums for years. After several years of hearing different feedback about experiences with Leon Mege, I thought I'd share my personal and recent dealings with him. Diamond in question. A 3 + carat, beautiful antique square cushion shaped diamond that I rescued out of a modern yellow gold mounting. Poor thing. The Diamond was one of those very very rare stones that over the years have taken my break away. I am not talking about a 5 carat Royal Asscher D color, or the like that is clearly gasp worthy. Nonetheless, this diamond with the high crown, teeny tiny table, close to 1:1 ratio made my heart stop a beat. It is so full of chunky flashes of fire! So, its mine, sits in a safety deposit box for over a year while me and my daughter collaborate what this diamond needs. A hallo? Love them but like them better with color or asscher in the center. ..Leon's ring with the antique French cut diamonds? .I kept going back and comparing this design to a ring I have that has a 1.06 carat OEC in the center, with bead set OEC tapering down the sides. Both have a raise shoulder shank, low profile. I can wear lots of other rings but people stop me all the time when I am wearing this simple but beautiful edwardian ring. I had to stop wearing it at work because people wanted "that one" and they would point to my ring. Leon's ring speaks to the same sense of simplicity and style. Classic, understated, stunning without apologizing for not being over the top. We kept going back to Leon's simple setting with the antique french cut diamonds. Ok. Should I call Leon? As a Gemologist, I can obviously have a ring done at wholesale. But, this diamond is special. I've seen bigger, whiter, but not more beautiful. Well ok a few lol. Anyway.... We go for it.

By the way, I had sent the diamond to GIA.

Color: J (not surprised)
Clarity SI-1 (totally shocked...should be VS-2 at lowest)
GIA grading report # laser inscribed now on girdle

I send off an email. Rachael, an assitant responds and asks me some questions and then puts Leon on the phone (Yikes...I get nervous. Wasn't expecting to talk to Leon). I try to follow up the email with details that I am hoping and expecting but also let him know any recommendations will be appreciated as well. He asked a number of questions, I answered. I didn't want anything fussy added. I wanted simplicity in the ring, no gallery design or diamonds on the gallery or surprise diamonds. Tiny double claw prongs and very very delicate milgrain. I wanted to ring to look like it had been worn for 100 years but of course stronger. He asked me to send him the diamond and off it went the next day. Along with a check of course. I understood it could take 8-12 weeks. He would send me pics of the sides stones he was matching up with it. I was good with that and we were putting it out of our mind and going to enjoy the summer. Time was not important to me. What was important to be was that Leon could not have been nicer and he made me feel entirely comfortable calling him at any time. I didn't. I wanted perfection. That takes time. It was my intent to leave him to what he does best.

My daughter, who also follows Pricescope had an internship in NYC this summer. She wanted to drop by and maybe see the progress. Leon welcomed her into his office and spent allot of time with her, showing her many of his designs, letting her try them on, talking with her about his business, what he does, how he got to be where he was. She adores him and left feeling like she made a good friend. And, a list of "must haves".

A few weeks ago Rachael rang me requesting final payment. Ring was about ready and would be mailed. Off went the final payment, and a week later Rachael said the ring would be mailed on Monday, Fedx. Ok. Now I was scared. I mean this was allot of money for something I hadn't seen, never met them in person my self, never got to try on....nothing. Box is delivered. I stare at it. My heart is beating. I mean what if I was disappointed? What if we had a miscomuncation? What if the diamonds didn't match well with the center stone as I knew they were whiter. What the french cuts weren't lively. I knew the center stone threw off insane flashes of sparkle and color. As a gemologist, it is very rare I pop for a diamond and it has to make me lose sleep it is so gorgeous, even in a J color. Ok back to the ring. I take a picture of the box and send it to my daughter. She text back open it open it open it omg open it. I can't. Ok finally I get it out of one box. But it is inside of another box. That gives me time to breath. I know...it is just a ring but...finally I get to the ring box. A marroon colored box with Leon logo on it. I can't open it. But my daughter won't leave me alone. My mistake in telling her. (she is in college in Dallas so can't see it in person). Finally I open it and close it fast. I recognize the center stone and knew immediately it was the same diamond. BLING!!! But I never doubted that of course. Finally I look at the ring. It is pure perfection. The chunky facets of the antique french cuts compliment the center stone in a way that they should, making the antique cushion center stage. They make Lola look better if that was even possible. Did I say perfection?

Anyone who has reservations about working with Leon should at least give him the opportunity. He doesn't make jewelry. He makes heirlooms. As someone who has been in the business since 1980, and has access to most of the known brands at cost and goldsmiths who are very skilled to make custom ring, I don't regret for a second have Leon Mege make this ring for us and paying for it. It was worth it. He is kind, easy going, and a pure genius when it comes to the craft of jewelry making. I am already planning on a few other things I am going to have him do for us.

I promise to get pics soon!!! These are rough shots taken before I rushed off to work. They are terrible but I will work on them. I just wanted to talk about Leon.

RING 005.JPG

RING 004.JPG

katushka

Rough_Rock
Amazing ring and story! I feel like the setting you chose allows the stone to "breathe" and express its unique personality in a way halos don't... Can't wait to see more pics of the stone and, of course, handshots.

minmin001

Ideal_Rock
have to agree what an amazing ring and story... so glad the ring is perfect for you with the perfect stone

lknvrb4

Ideal_Rock
Drop dead gorgeous ring!

bright ice

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gorgeous ring and what a beautiful center stone :love:

moosemom

Shiny_Rock
Stunning ring and great story. I am looking forward to more pictures.

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade
What a great story and a gorgeous ring! Congrats on your new heirloom!

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Looks very beautiful but of course we will need lots more pics - particularly hand pics!

Love your story and your enthusiasm for the process!

Mayk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
So beautiful!!! :love:

Supers

Shiny_Rock
Stunning - I look forward to more pictures!

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It is stunning! I can see why you love the stone. So pretty!! Glad you had a great experience.

Thats so funny about opening the box. I was the same way when I got my ring off ebay. I didnt want to open it because I
knew it was the moment I could be very dissapointed. When I finally did open it, I was like you.. thrilled. The big difference
(besides the cost) is that I could have sent mine back if I didnt like it so I'm sure your blood pressure was way higher than mine! :bigsmile:

Venice

Brilliant_Rock
Perfection! Looking forward to plenty more pictures!

kelpie

Ideal_Rock
Amazing! I can't wait for more pictures. Don't be shocked at the clarity...internally it could easily be a very high clarity but it probably has a rough girdle with abrasions that set the grade.

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
love love love :love: :love: :love: Perfection! Congratulations it is a stunning ring!!!!! Makes me want a reset!

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
I really enjoyed reading about your buying process. I have to admit I normally scroll down for the ring photos first and read the story second... but with yours I was drawn into the description first :bigsmile:

I love how you couldn't bring yourself to open the box! I have also done the very same thing. You build this thing up in your head and its scary to find out if it matches your hopes and dreams.

You have chosen a beautiful setting for your lovely diamond and it definitely lets the diamond have centre stage. Wear it in the very best of health!

poprocks

Rough_Rock
That is a beautiful ring to say the least! I loved how your told your story--I found myself even holding my breathe during the part when you were about to open the box. :lol:

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You're right--that's an heirloom piece. It's STUNNING!!

Karen Gannon

Rough_Rock
Thanks everyone for all your commentary! Needless to say I am thrilled. I know the business, I know the dealers, wholesalers, cutters, designers, and there is allot of wonderful people out there to choose from. I have ordered rings while looking at them at the JCK show in Vegas from the designers and vendors and know it can be scary. Leon was a pleasure to work with and my 22 year old daughter LOVES him. For me to order a ring at the retail level you know I really was nervous. Trust me. His work is worth every single penny. I promise to provide more pictures just as soon as I can!!!

What an amazing story and ring...beautiful! :appl:

acebruin

Brilliant_Rock
:love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love:

Mrs W

Brilliant_Rock
:love: More pics pls!!!

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
Wonderful story and wonderful ring!!!

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Lottie

Brilliant_Rock
What a jaw droppingly beautiful ring, you are right, it is perfection. I really enjoyed reading about your experience as well.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Great story. I adore this ring. I hope you can post more when you have time.. Congrats!!!!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results