shape
carat
color
clarity

My experience on buying the best cut 2.5cts super ideal diamond I could find

uxr51

Rough_Rock
Learning:
I spent 3 hours daily for months reading and studying online almost everything I could about diamonds. I have a background in engineering and I have always liked diamonds so I wanted to buy the best cut diamond out there with my budget. I dug almost every important post here on price scope from years ago and went on reading other technical documents online until I felt ready to buy something.

Searching:
I had been looking at the inventories of all the super ideal vendors like White Flash, Brian Gavin, Victor Canera, HPD to name a few. I watched silently as their inventories moved month to month and started talking to them and asking questions. I had made my mind on something around 2-2.5 carats, D-F color,Vs1-Vs2 clarity with a $40,000 to $50,000 USD budget. I wanted a flawless ASET and Idealscope. Flawless proportions as well.

Buying:
Most vendors were a pleasure to work with and wish them the best. In no particular order and without naming the ones I did not buy from:

Vendor A:
Their prices were a bit higher than average and they had some good options. After some days the salesperson was only interested on knowing when was I going to pay and did not care much about my questions. They did offer me to talk directly to the cutter but our schedules never aligned. They were so incredibly pushy I just stopped talking to them.

Vendor B:
They had great inventory. Good prices. Great service. I grilled them with questions and got straight honest answers. For example, one of their diamonds had some of the arrows visibly shorter than the others: visible on the picture, asset, IS and confirmed by the computer-generated aset on the certificate. When I asked about it, they replied that was real. Same with defects on hearts. You buy what is published. I did not buy with them but I would buy any other time without thinking about it.

Vendor C:
They have the reputation here on the site for the best cut diamonds. They have many options and I did talk to them for quite a while and grilled them with many questions. They have impeccable service and great persons to deal with. I had a diamond on hold with them and was about to pay it. I stopped because I felt something was not right. In contrast with vendor B, they told me the defects seen on hearts were issues in photography even if the same defects were present on the computer-generated asets on the certificates. They clearly stated to me they cut for performance and not for heart and arrows but then asked myself: if they have such good cutting abilities, they should be able to cut for H&A and performance at the same time. Why sell a diamond with visible clefs or non-symmetrical hearts if you can cut so good for performance? This, some white lies along with the not so great asset put me off to cancel the order. It was the deal of a lifetime but setting price aside I was not convinced this was the best performing diamond out there.

Vendor Victor Canera:
I ended buying a 2.48ct F VS2 diamond along with the classic pave setting with H&A melee. I talked to victor for literally weeks. Every question I shot he replied back with an honest and very technical answer. I requested like 8 videos of several diamonds he had in different lighting conditions. He always delivered them. Why did I end up buying with Victor Canera? From all the available diamonds from all vendors withing my requirements this was what I think is the best performing one. The asset is flawless and very symmetric. Every single heart is perfect. Arrows are also perfectly symmetrical. AGS certificate is flawless. The proportions are flawless. The VS2 clarity is nearly a VS1, very clean. A plus was also the LGF of 75. I was looking for big fat arrows and not skinny ones. I did compare that diamond to some others and the way it performed was something else, hard to describe with words. Also, the service from Victor and his team was impeccable.

After sending the wire transfer Victor had the ring ready in around 2 weeks. He shipped the ring and nervously picked it up at the local Fedex. It came in a regular carton box, then inside with a sealed security bag with the Victor Canera white box inside. Everything went perfect as expected.

Here are the specs:
Carat: 2.48 cts
Color: F
Clarity: VS2
Table: 56.8%
CA: 34.4
PA: 40.7
Depth: 60.3%
Dimensions: 8.77 – 8.82 x 5.30 mm
AGS 000
On an interesting note: Its one of the few diamonds I’ve seen with quadruple Excellent on the HCA tool including spread.

Here are some of the videos I have captured with my phone while inspecting the ring.

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Absolutely fantastic! It is a stunning ring. Thank you for sharing it!

maita13

Brilliant_Rock
Stunning!! ❤️

Mavimaui

Rough_Rock
I would be interested in learning which vendor was which as these are the exact four I’ve been keeping my eye on. I am potentially sending a quote request to Victor for a custom three stone ring, but haven’t found the diamond yet in his inventory that makes sense for me. Any other observations about how diamond prices move throughout the year or tips for finding a the best diamond at a great deal?

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow, the stone looks amazing. You did a fantastic job and undoubtedly got a superb stone. So happy to see VC get some love. I find his videos and images to be very pleasing myself and it seems most his stones are always very clean for the clarity rating.

I am fairly confident I know which vendor is A, B and C. I am sorry that A turned you off with sales pressure. In my experience with them they were not pushy so that saddens me.

Also I believe I was in the conversation concerning B's stone about the shorter arrow shafts. I was originally convinced it was a bad image but later it was confirmed it wasn't. Like you, this is one reason I like this vendor. They are completely transparent and honest, even if it costs them a sale.

In regards to your comment about all 4 excellents on the HCA, you are correct that not many pop back. I ran one for someone else the other day and it caught my attention as it too had 4.

It's because of the depth. Being just a hair over 60% it's pushing weight slightly out in the horizontal axis as opposed to the vertical axis of depth. If this stone had a smaller table with same CA and PA then it would change geometry and push a little more weight in depth and get the typical HCA result.

Without running the HCA I would guess it scores just a hair under 1, whereas a stone with a little more depth would score above 1 around a 1.3-1.5 or so has been my experience running lots of HCA for folks looking.

Either way, gorgeous stone. Again congratulations! Please feel free to post more diamond pics for us to enjoy!

Also thank you for the feedback and taking the time to report back. It's useful to hear this. Hopefully you will stick around.

TheLady

Shiny_Rock
Congratulations on your gorgeous ring!

I received a HCA score of 1 with 4 EX on this diamond

This is not in the PS ideal parameters I don't believe. I don't understand why it would get all excellent and the IS looks good to me.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks for the review @uxr51. Gorgeous ring!

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It is a beautiful ring! Should make someone very happy!

Thanks so much for your detailed journey. You obviously put a lot of time and effort into your selection and it paid off!

carbonfan

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Victor is a gem in his own right, and your diamond and setting are both just incredible!! :love: Congratulations on making an amazing selection... your diligent efforts definitely paid off!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ha! Before I saw carbonfan's post, I was also going to say that Victor is a gem!!! Your ring is perfection and she's a very lucky lady to have someone who values high quality in diamond jewelry! Congrats to you both!

(I think I can guess vendors A, B, and C, too! lol! Your characterizations were very telling!)

LightBright

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
This is a very helpfull review. I have had the pleasure to meet Victor Canera in person at his shop in Downtown LA and he was similarly impeccably mannered, informative, gracious and helpful with me. I’m glad you are happy with his in-house diamond and his gorgeous handiwork. Your ring is beautiful.

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you for sharing your experience. The Victor Canera diamond/ring you ended up selecting is exquisite, and I wish you and your intended every happiness.

LinSF

Brilliant_Rock
Gorgeous stone! I love hearing about your research and process! I know the vendors you speak of as well- it's a good lesson to the vendor, a little additional customer service in a non pushy way is important!

KKJohnson

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Congratulations on your gorgeous ring!

I received a HCA score of 1 with 4 EX on this diamond

This is not in the PS ideal parameters I don't believe. I don't understand why it would get all excellent and the IS looks good to me.

If you need assist with any questions please make a new thread so it can be addressed

KKJohnson

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I love how you have it on your pinky finger to get that nighttime glow lol

Gorgeous ring and update once you pop the question!

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
wow, such a lovely outcome! Thanks for sharing all of these details. I also agree that it would be helpful to name the vendors. You clearly aren't "bashing" anyone--just honestly and carefully detailing your own experiences. IMHO we need more threads like this so people can make informed decisions about who to work with.

gm89uk

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
wow, such a lovely outcome! Thanks for sharing all of these details. I also agree that it would be helpful to name the vendors. You clearly aren't "bashing" anyone--just honestly and carefully detailing your own experiences. IMHO we need more threads like this so people can make informed decisions about who to work with.

I think it's fairly obvious who the vendors are to most seasoned PSers. But I see no problem with sharing. Although I do agree with vendor C that H&A =/= performance, and some none H&A will out perform H&A diamonds in some lighting conditions. H&A just help give consistency and a benchmark.

Bonfire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well done! You made excellent choices, Victor is impeccable!
One very lucky lady is about to be thrilled with not only this stunning diamond ring, but all the effort you put into it. Please come back with hand shots once you propose.

WillyDiamond

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Congrats. Hope your intended loves it too.

sarahb

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Gorgeous stone, & loved your reviews. Please come back with pictures once you pop the question, & congratulations on your pending engagement!

I have to concur with @dreamer_dachsie, after all. Not only will your well thought-out reviews help a future buyer, but they may also help the venders improve too!

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think it's fairly obvious who the vendors are to most seasoned PSers. But I see no problem with sharing. Although I do agree with vendor C that H&A =/= performance, and some none H&A will out perform H&A diamonds in some lighting conditions. H&A just help give consistency and a benchmark.

I have guesses, but I truly don't have any idea who is who (I think I can figure out who the 4 vendors are, but not which is which).

MRBXXXFVVS1

Brilliant_Rock
Gorgeous ring, thank you for sharing your journey! Your SO is very lucky, so much research and thought went into buying the perfect diamond!

uxr51

Rough_Rock
Thanks to all of you for the kind comments.

I did not want to get into a debate about the vendors but since some are requesting the info maybe it will also help someone who digs this post in a future time.

They are easy to guess if you follow the board closely:
Vendor A: Brian Gavin
Vendor B: Whiteflash
Vendor C: HPDiamonds

If a mod or admin wants to add them feel free.

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you for your detailed feedback on the vendors, it is useful to have.

Please may I ask, though - with regards to Vendor C / HPD, you said:
Vendor C:
...they told me the defects seen on hearts were issues in photography even if the same defects were present on the computer-generated asets on the certificates. They clearly stated to me they cut for performance and not for heart and arrows but then asked myself: if they have such good cutting abilities, they should be able to cut for H&A and performance at the same time. Why sell a diamond with visible clefs or non-symmetrical hearts if you can cut so good for performance? This, some white lies along with the not so great asset put me off to cancel the order. It was the deal of a lifetime but setting price aside I was not convinced this was the best performing diamond out there.

What were the 'white lies' you are referring to?

@John Pollard would be best placed to respond to your queries on why CBI stones are not always 'ultimate H&A' and whether H&A=best performance in terms of ASET and other metrics, but @Wink and the HPD team would be interested in understanding more about your concerns and the comment I've bolded, I'm sure.

RayRay

Shiny_Rock
All I can say is wow! Your lady is lucky to have someone who spent so much time making an excellent decision! The diamond and ring are breathtakingly beautiful! Videos are spectacular - got a little nervous the ring would fall off your finger over the balcony!! :lol:

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think you should name the vendors as otherwise the reviews are not very useful to future readers.

I think we are all clear that:

A. Is Brian Gavin Diamonds

B. Is Whiteflash

C. Is High Performance Diamonds/CBI

Of course, we all love Victor Canera, so I’m glad you received a gorgeous ring from him.

I’m going to call you out on your “white lies” part about HPD.

Specifically, if you are going to accuse Wink, an Angel here on earth who we don’t deserve, of little white lies, then you need to say what that was. Otherwise, it’s BS.

ETA: I have 3 CBIs and the sapphire 3 stone in my avatar has two CBI side stones.

The aqua ring in my avatar was made by BGD. I also have stud jackets from them as well as a dainty sapphire and diamond band.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results