shape
carat
color
clarity

My Experience Buying an Uncertified Diamond from Jewels by Grace

MrBlueshift

Rough_Rock
Hello,

Although I’m not an active member of this forum, I want to share a recent experience I had which might assist others in their decision making. Warning: this is a long post!

In 2016, my wife and I bought a 2ct diamond ring from a vendor. It did not come with an appraisal or lab report, but the listing read “Diamond is I/J color, VS2 clarity.” The vendor told my wife it was a great price for a stone of that quality.

Around 9 months after the purchase, I sent the ring to a different jeweler to have a new setting made. I had the stone certified while it was loose. GIA graded it as N, Very Light Brown, SI1.

If the grading had come back as K, or even L (neither with a brown undertone), then I wouldn’t have contacted the vendor as I know that estimates can be a little off. However, a four to five grade difference is a rather large misrepresentation, and so I decided to contact them to request a replacement stone, or at least a refund.

The vendor responded and said they were stunned at the grading the stone received, as it was appraised by their in-house appraiser soon after the stone had been set in the setting. They could have never imagined it would get that grading from the GIA and felt the light brown designation was even more of a head scratcher. They said they stood behind every sale they made and wanted to make me happy, and would work with me towards a mutually agreeable solution. After their bench/appraiser inspected and cleared the stone, the vendor offered me a store credit, minus the setting cost of the original ring. I told them I would rather have a stone in the same size and shape that actually had the stated quality of the original and if one could not be found I would like a refund.

I provided some alternative options for stones to help speed up the vendor’s ability to find a replacement, and we agreed on a 60-day period during which they’d search for it. They noted the desired specs/shapes and wrote that whatever they found, they would send me images before making a commitment to the stone.

The 60-day period passed without me hearing from the vendor, which made me question whether they were actively searching for a replacement stone or just waiting until we reached the deadline so they could issue the refund. When I inquired they assured me they were looking, so we agreed to wait longer to see if anything suitable turned up. During this time I asked the vendor to let me know if they had anything my wife might like, even if it didn’t check every box. They suggested a ring with a colored gem (emerald) center stone which my wife liked but decided wouldn’t be a good option for her. It was also priced at more than three times the refund amount. I then found a potentially suitable replacement, a loose diamond in their inventory which weighed less than the original stone by 0.26ct yet had the desired I color and VS2 clarity. The vendor said that stone was on consignment, but they could apply my credit toward it. I declined, as the price it was selling for was twice the refund amount, and so I said I’d just wait for them to source the replacement stone.

Later that same day I looked at many other loose stones and rings on the vendor’s website. I checked one of their social media pages to see if I could find any additional information on the ring I’d purchased. I discovered they’d posted both a photo and video of the diamond before it had been set. The diamond clearly displayed a lower color in the photo and video. After finding this information and learning more about the diamond prices on their site, I sent the vendor a candid email. In the email I told them I could see that there wasn’t a great incentive for them to find me a replacement stone, as they’d lose money if they actually found one the same quality they claimed for the stone I bought. I also let them know that because of the pricing of similar stones on their site being much higher, I believed they had an idea that the stone they sold me wasn’t actually I/J VS2 but they felt they could get away with it by putting it in a rich yellow gold setting. I asked for a refund because I’d already given the vendor around 11.5 weeks to source a diamond, and I felt at that point it was pretty clear I wouldn’t be getting a fair replacement. I also felt I could no longer trust anything the vendor told me.

The vendor wrote that they appreciated my candor and honesty and could understand the frustration. They said they wished they had been able to source something similar for me. They stated they were always committed to finding a stone but that finding a quality stone in a similar cut is not easy. They mentioned a similar stone was brought back from a jewelry show, but that it was too small. They wrote to please trust them when they say they have learned their lesson in regards to that stone and similar ones which might come their way. They made arrangements to send a refund.

I responded and said I was glad they understood my frustration and mentioned it may have helped the situation if they’d communicated with me during their search, as I may have been open to accepting a smaller stone. I reminded them that I didn’t necessarily need the same cut as the original stone, and was open to various shapes. I expressed my disappointment at them never taking the initiative to contact me with any updates. I also asked them to clarify what they meant about learning their lesson in regards to my stone – if it meant they knew or at least suspected it was a lower color before having it set. I said otherwise it just didn’t make sense for their in-house appraiser to appraise it after it had been set. I told them they could send a refund check at their earliest convenience.

They sent an email four days later asking me to confirm my mailing address, and another one the following day to let me know I could expect the refund check within the next four to five days.

I sent a final email in which I expressed how I’d felt let down by them when I saw the photo and video of the unset diamond. I said that unless they were the most inept (at evaluating stones) diamond dealer in their area, I didn’t believe for a second they actually thought the diamond was I/J in color. I said I felt they owed me an explanation, and asked them to please not ignore me again.

They ignored me, and a week later I received the refund check in the mail.

We exchanged over 30 emails since 7 June 2017 before it ultimately ended with a refund. Along the way I lost faith in the vendor, for reasons I’ll summarize in the following list:

⦁ The vendor’s actions did not match their words. They were courteous and said all the right things, but never acted genuinely concerned or motivated to find a replacement stone (e.g. not bothering to send me any updates and only writing in direct response to my inquiries).
⦁ They seemed disorganized. They misremembered when I made the purchase and the purchase amount. This didn’t surprise me as I’ve experienced this vendor’s unprofessionalism/disorganization before. For instance, when I made the initial deposit and during the layaway period they never sent me an invoice or a receipt when the order had been paid in full. The vendor had even asked my wife which email address they should send the invoice to (provided by my wife), and I made a separate request for one later on but never heard back.
⦁ The vendor posted a photo and video of the loose diamond online, and it displayed a lower color in both. They set the stone into a 20kt gold ring setting, an option they have used with other lower colored diamonds to make them face up “white.” They had their in-house appraiser evaluate the stone after it had been set. And according to Rap, even though it only goes down to M color and doesn’t take into account a further reduction in value for the diamond’s brown undertone, the vendor’s pricing was more in line with the stone as officially graded, than their estimate.

Taken as a whole, this made the vendor appear unprincipled. And since they chose not to address any of my concerns, I no longer believed this was a one-time occurrence or the result of an honest mistake.

My wife is generous and likes to think the best of people. She learned about the vendor through this forum and always admired the jewelry pieces they had on offer. The price wasn’t a major influence in her decision to purchase the ring. She simply liked the design and felt safe knowing she could trust the vendor’s estimate. She was happy when the vendor assured her she was getting a great deal. If they had included the photo and video of the unset stone in the listing and written “Diamond is estimated to be I/J color, VS2 clarity – assessment made after the stone was set,” I would have cautioned my wife against making the purchase and questioned the vendor’s methodology for evaluating stones.

My wife feels stupid for trusting the vendor. She’s now much more cautious, which is probably best. This situation made me think about how buying jewelry, especially online, is an act of faith. Having trust in a vendor is so important when one places an item on layaway, sight unseen, or embarks on a custom jewelry project. Since miscommunications and mistakes are inevitable, it’s also important to trust that a vendor will maintain an open dialogue, work diligently to correct any mistakes, and put a client’s mind at ease by addressing their concerns. I think from now on I’ll purchase from vendors who don’t learn lessons at their client’s expense, or take their trust for granted. I’ll purchase from vendors who clearly label which items in their inventory are owned by them vs. consignment or virtual. This makes shopping more transparent. I’ll stick with vendors who conduct themselves professionally, and no matter how nice or trustworthy a vendor may appear I will only consider buying stones accompanied by recent grading reports, as this protects both client and vendor.

Anyway I just wanted to write a bit about my experience and I hope it gives fellow consumers something to think about before purchasing uncertified stones, even from well-known vendors. I’ve informed the vendor of this review.

If you made it this far, thanks for reading!
MrBlueshift

Below you’ll find information relevant to my post:

Regular price for the ring: $8,995
Sale price: $8,250
Payment by check discount: $500
Total: $7,750
Agreed upon refund: $5,750 ($2,000 deduction – vendor’s stated cost for the ring setting, unverified)
Actual refund: $6,000 (informed vendor of $250 difference and said I’d wait for a check in the correct amount)

Listing.jpg
Ring listing from vendor’s site at the time of purchase

Unset Stone 1 - 18 Oct 2015.jpg
Unset diamond - still from video posted on vendor’s public social media page
Please note the stone on the right was graded by GIA as N, VS2

Unset stone 2 - 19 Oct 2015.jpg
Unset diamond – photo posted on vendor’s public social media page

Rap 2.04ct I VS2.jpg
Rap as estimated

Rap 2.03ct M SI1.jpg
Rap as graded – please note Rap doesn’t go down
to N color, or take into account a brown undertone

GIA report number: 1186467371

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am sorry that this happened to you. Why did the vendor did not have you send the setting back as well and give you a full refund?

Sean_T

Shiny_Rock
Really shows the importance of buying certified diamond. Sorry you had to go through such a hassle, if I was you I would probably take the word of a well known vendor if my partner is set on product.

Crazie4Cuts

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Mr B.,
Thank you for your candid assessment of a popular PS vendor. When you received your purchase, did you receive a receipt from the vendor? Did the actual receipt say anything similar to the posting on the website? I'm asking as I am wondering if the receipt acted as an appraisal of what was purchased. Nonetheless, I'm glad you were able to find the original listing and the description to back up your 'right' to receive a refund on an item which was clearly misrepresented. I do think you should have received the total amount you paid, including the price of the setting as it was the ring you purchased not just the diamond. I think it will be difficult to find a replacement stone for this unique one-of-a-kind setting. So if the vendor is cutting another check, you should get the full amount.

I am glad with your persistence, that you received a refund. GIA certification was key in valuating and validating the misrepresented diamond.

-C4C

MrBlueshift

Rough_Rock
I am sorry that this happened to you. Why did the vendor did not have you send the setting back as well and give you a full refund?
The diamond had been cut from its bezel setting, and the vendor said they could not offer credit on the setting since the stone was no longer in the mounting.

MrBlueshift

Rough_Rock
Really shows the importance of buying certified diamond. Sorry you had to go through such a hassle, if I was you I would probably take the word of a well known vendor if my partner is set on product.
Thanks, I'm glad I'm not the only one.

MrBlueshift

Rough_Rock
Mr B.,
Thank you for your candid assessment of a popular PS vendor. When you received your purchase, did you receive a receipt from the vendor? Did the actual receipt say anything similar to the posting on the website? I'm asking as I am wondering if the receipt acted as an appraisal of what was purchased. Nonetheless, I'm glad you were able to find the original listing and the description to back up your 'right' to receive a refund on an item which was clearly misrepresented. I do think you should have received the total amount you paid, including the price of the setting as it was the ring you purchased not just the diamond. I think it will be difficult to find a replacement stone for this unique one-of-a-kind setting. So if the vendor is cutting another check, you should get the full amount.

I am glad with your persistence, that you received a refund. GIA certification was key in valuating and validating the misrepresented diamond.

-C4C
The vendor enclosed a nice hand-written note for my wife, but did not manage to get a receipt in there. The setting couldn't be reused so it was scrapped. To be honest, I wanted the vendor to admit they were being unethical and was less interested in getting the full amount back.

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
In this day and age, I would never buy an uncarted diamond. A vendor can state a stone's color/clarity at anything they arbitrarily decide it to be and you basically agree to it when you purchase it. You could have a guarantee in writing that if it goes to a well regarded lab and it comes back different than what they claimed, you'd be entitled to a refund. However, a vendor worth his salt would have the stone certed before you or anyone else bought it to eliminate that scenario. I am glad that they at least refunded your money spent on the stone but sorry that the setting had to be scrapped. You lost time and money on this one but I am sure it is a lesson well learned. Thanks for sharing your experience with us and best of luck on finding a stone that makes your wife happy!

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi @MrBlueshift, I am really sorry to hear of your negative experience with such a popular vendor here. I have never purchased from the vendor, but this review definitely would make me think twice before I do. I can see how upset you are by the situation and rightfully so. You left a very detailed review and I think that others will find it helpful as well. For what is worth - it was a beautiful ring and I actually don't think that you got the deserved refund. The item was misrepresented to you. Again, there is always wiggle room with uncertified stones, but 4/5 shades is a drop. I don't understand, after you got the stone certified and informed JbG, why didn't she provide you with a partial refund to comprensate for the misrepresentation of the color of the diamond? That in my mind would have been the right thing to do and maybe then you would have felt comfortable with the ring. The refund that you got is really based on the new value of the ring, so the vendor lost nothing, she can sell the entire ring for the same or higher price and you lost. Your wife loved it obviously and it is such a beautiful design for an unique diamond, I wish that you could have made it work as to keep the ring at an adjusted price... ugh this just makes me sad for you. Does JbG still have the ring?

Last edited:

Madison2

Brilliant_Rock
Did I miss who the vendor was? I read through the thread but still didn't find the vendor who sold you the diamond.:confused:

Tekate

Ideal_Rock
Premium
All I can say is dang. These kinds of things just should not happen. What they should have done is take the new appraisal and refund the difference - IF you wanted the ring still. I'm not sure I would want it myself after experiencing this. You and your wife are gems. :) Sorry you lost money on the setting, that sucks, your experience will certainly factor into where I buy.

MrBlueshift

Rough_Rock
In this day and age, I would never buy an uncarted diamond. A vendor can state a stone's color/clarity at anything they arbitrarily decide it to be and you basically agree to it when you purchase it. You could have a guarantee in writing that if it goes to a well regarded lab and it comes back different than what they claimed, you'd be entitled to a refund. However, a vendor worth his salt would have the stone certed before you or anyone else bought it to eliminate that scenario. I am glad that they at least refunded your money spent on the stone but sorry that the setting had to be scrapped. You lost time and money on this one but I am sure it is a lesson well learned. Thanks for sharing your experience with us and best of luck on finding a stone that makes your wife happy!
Thanks I appreciate your comments; I definitely learned my lesson.

MrBlueshift

Rough_Rock
Hi @MrBlueshift, I am really sorry to hear of your negative experience with such a popular vendor here. I have never purchased from the vendor, but this review definitely would make me think twice before I do. I can see how upset you are by the situation and rightfully so. You left a very detailed review and I think that others will find it helpful as well. For what is worth - it was a beautiful ring and I actually don't think that you got the deserved refund. The item was misrepresented to you. Again, there is always wiggle room with uncertified stones, but 4/5 shades is a drop. I don't understand, after you got the stone certified and informed JbG, why didn't she provide you with a partial refund to comprensate for the misrepresentation of the color of the diamond? That in my mind would have been the right thing to do and maybe then you would have felt comfortable with the ring. The refund that you got is really based on the new value of the ring, so the vendor lost nothing, she can sell the entire ring for the same or higher price and you lost. Your wife loved it obviously and it is such a beautiful design for an unique diamond, I wish that you could have made it work as to keep the ring at an adjusted price... ugh this just makes me sad for you. Does JbG still have the ring?
Thanks for the comments. I was planning on having a new setting made in platinum which for me would work well with a near colorless diamond, but not a low colored one, so I didn't ask for a partial refund. The vendor has the loose stone, and I agree they probably lost nothing on this transaction.

MrBlueshift

Rough_Rock
All I can say is dang. These kinds of things just should not happen. What they should have done is take the new appraisal and refund the difference - IF you wanted the ring still. I'm not sure I would want it myself after experiencing this. You and your wife are gems. :) Sorry you lost money on the setting, that sucks, your experience will certainly factor into where I buy.
Thanks, that first sentence in your comment made me laugh.

caf

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Sorry this happened to you. And glad you shared this with PS'ers!

BlingDreams

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm sorry to hear this happened to you, and appreciate your candor and willingness to share your story.

I hope you're able to find the diamond/setting of your dreams now! Don't forget to come back and share once you do :mrgreen2:

Sean_T

Shiny_Rock
Honestly you deserved to get your full refund. Why must everything work in the vendor's favour when they are at fault.

Most people wouldn't have taken the diamond out of the setting and would have been deceived their whole life.

Unless this ring is second hand, and the inhouse appraiser needed to appraise it while its set.

Vesper

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I am so sorry. You were hoodwinked.

MrBlueshift

Rough_Rock
The vendor wrote:
Oh, thanks for letting me know about this. I forwarded our email chain to my bookkeeper who cut the check.

Have you shredded the check yet? If not, then please do not - the bank would take days to verify the draft has not been cashed, and it would cause a delay in a replacement. I know it's not a big amount, and I did not mean to overpay but I know you are already out on the setting portion, so please, I would be happy for you to keep that amount and save you the hassle of having you wait for the bank to send a replacement.

Thanks for the link on your review - I am certainly not infallible, and this situation was a big learning experience for me. I only wish I could have found your replacement - I really do. For all this, I repeat again - I am truly sorry for falling short.

My response:
Although I appreciate you wanting to save me the hassle of waiting for a replacement check, I’ve already shredded it, so please have one reissued in the correct amount.

You apologize for “falling short” and imply that you are not immune to making mistakes. A mistake is an act or judgment that is misguided or wrong. Deceit is the action or practice of deceiving someone by concealing or misrepresenting the truth. I think we both know this wasn’t a mistake.

You keep saying how much you wish you’d found my replacement stone. Even if you had found one, I still would have written this review. I want you to understand that I don’t care about $250, or $2,000, or a replacement stone. What bothers me is that you wasted my time, betrayed my wife’s trust in you, and deceived your entire client base.

If you want to offer a sincere apology, please first take accountability for your actions, instead of rationalizing, shifting the blame, or downgrading your unethical decisions to “mistakes.”

That would be a good start.

MrBlueshift

Rough_Rock
Honestly you deserved to get your full refund. Why must everything work in the vendor's favour when they are at fault.

Most people wouldn't have taken the diamond out of the setting and would have been deceived their whole life.

Unless this ring is second hand, and the inhouse appraiser needed to appraise it while its set.

I'm sure the vendor counted on this.

pearaffair

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This review made me sad for you, OP. It is similar to my experience in that I felt ignored or like a low priority due to lack of communication. I suspected who the vendor was even before I saw the photo. I'm glad you got a partial refund but I am really surprised the vendor didn't go out of their way to make it right with you. She came close but missed the mark, if you ask me.

Too bad because I love the jewels that this vendor offers.

MrBlueshift

Rough_Rock
This review made me sad for you, OP. It is similar to my experience in that I felt ignored or like a low priority due to lack of communication. I suspected who the vendor was even before I saw the photo. I'm glad you got a partial refund but I am really surprised the vendor didn't go out of their way to make it right with you. She came close but missed the mark, if you ask me.

Too bad because I love the jewels that this vendor offers.
Thanks for sharing; I figured this must have happened to more people than just me because I couldn't think of anything I did that would make me deserve less respect from the vendor. Sorry to hear you were made to feel that way too. I guess it means neither of us made it onto their VIP list. :twirl: And I agree, it is just too bad because my wife does like some of the jewelry the vendor has for sale.

P

PierreBear

I'm sure the vendor counted on this.

So sorry to hear about this unfortunate situation and thank you for sharing on the forum so others can learn from the experience. For educational purposes, is there no way to evaluate and grade a stone that is already set? Or grading can only incur with loose stones?

I really wished the vendor made you whole and gained back your trust. You were more than kind/patient and gave them the opportunity. I sincerely hope that you and your wife are able to find a future piece that brings just as much joy with a vendor that make it a seamless process.

Q

Queenie60

Glad to know as I have considered purchasing from Grace.

Q

Queenie60

Glad to know as I have considered purchasing from Grace.

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
So sorry to hear about this unfortunate situation and thank you for sharing on the forum so others can learn from the experience. For educational purposes, is there no way to evaluate and grade a stone that is already set? Or grading can only incur with loose stones?

I really wished the vendor made you whole and gained back your trust. You were more than kind/patient and gave them the opportunity. I sincerely hope that you and your wife are able to find a future piece that brings just as much joy with a vendor that make it a seamless process.

GIA- the lab the OP had grade the diamond will only grade a loose diamond according to their website. Here is a link for educational purposes.
https://www.gia.edu/gia-faq-analysis-grading-loose-diamond-grading-report

MrBlueshift

Rough_Rock
I hope you're able to find the diamond/setting of your dreams now! Don't forget to come back and share once you do :mrgreen2:
Thanks, this was just supposed to be a fun ring for my wife to wear, but if she does find a dream ring I'll come back and share photos.

Thanks, I'm sure we will!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results