shape
carat
color
clarity

#JOTW My Emmy

Finally have a free moment to post a thread on my new emmy ring. Feel free to skip to Post #2 if you wanna get to the good part, aka the pics. Anyways, here we gooooo!

It all started over a year ago (holy figs has it really been that long??). I just bought a preloved setting from my new friend @Spring Day and was looking for an 8mm round stone to go with it. I managed to find an emerald one that could work and was pretty, but it just didn't make my heart sing so I returned it. During my search though, I happened to see a couple of other emeralds that wouldn't have fit the setting I had in mind, but oh my gosh were they stunning. Since I wasn't having much luck finding the perfect center for that setting anyways, I got a little sidetracked and ended up purchasing a cushion cut emerald instead. Whoops.

I was so in love with my new emerald that I decided I was gonna set it ASAP. At first, I waffled back and forth between clustering it or setting it as a three-stone. Pretty much all of my rings at the time were three-stones, so I allllllmost went with a cluster just to try something different. But in the end, I realized that if I was gonna spend a ton of money on this ring (and I pretty much knew right away that this project wasn't gonna be cheap), I may as well make something I know I'd love. So three-stone it is!

Afterwards came more decisions I had to make: modern or antique; yellow or white metal; prongs or bezel; etc. etc. Cue hours upon hours of scouring Google and Instagram and sifting through thousands and thousands of pics so I could visualize what every single iteration could look like. Oh, and figuring out what proportions I wanted between the emerald and the side stones. That was fun. Do you know how annoying it is when vendors don't list the dimensions of their items? "2.5ctw trilogy ring" is not helpful!

I lucked out though. I knew @ForteKitty has an amazing collection of old cuts. So I reached out to her to see if she had anything that could work. SHE DID -- a pair of OECs that didn't have perfectly matching cuts, but each stone was sooo pretty and sparkly and they complemented each other nicely. SOLD!

Now I got my center stone. I got my sides. Should be good to go, yes? Oh no no, that's not how I roll.

See...I really, really wanted to incorporate a lotus motif somewhere in this ring. I chose the lotus because of its symbolism for resilience and overcoming adversity. Let's just say I had just gone through a couple of reaaally crappy years at the time. Fortunately, I worked through it all and managed to come out the other side more or less intact. Therefore, I wanted a lotus to acknowledge that. Anyways, back to the ring. Not gonna lie...I pretty much obsessed over designing the "perfect" lotus. I wouldn't be surprised if I ended up with at least 1GB all of pictures of lotuses on my phone. Problem was I had very specific angles and proportions in mind -- but it would have to be on a small enough scale to actually fit somewhere on this ring -- yet with enough details to make it "special" -- but not so much detailing to the point where you couldn't really appreciate em in real life. Sigh.

Eventually, I threw in the towel and finally started reaching out to vendors. I figured whoever I end up working with should be able to help me figure it all out.

Ultimately, I went with Sako (cjd_sako on Instagram). We emailed back-and-forth for quite a while before CAD work finally began. But it worked out fine because he pretty much nailed the design on the first CAD. Later, he came up with a slight tweak of the original design to rotate the baskets to the side stones so the ring will have a much better flow. He sent me a 2nd CAD comparing the two options. Loved the idea. Gave him the green light to start casting the ring. 7 weeks later, I finally got my emmy ring!!!

And now for the reveal --
**Note: I'm gonna go fast because I've already spent too much time on these posts and I really should go back to work :shhh:**

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~​

The emerald is a 1.37 ct cushion cut from Colombia. 7.24 x 6.87 x 4.89 mm. Designated by GRS as minor oil, "vivid green," and with the butterfly-wing (Mariposa) effect. Got it on Instagram from gemfactor_emeralds.

Vendor's pic of the emerald --
vendorpic1.jpg

My pics of the emerald unset --
looseemerald_indoor.jpg glow_outdoor.jpg emeraldvssapphire_indoor.jpg emeraldvssapphire_outdoor.jpg

Last edited:
FINISHED RING!!
front_outdoor.jpg bywindow_indoor.jpg handshot_outdoor.jpg
profile_outdoor.jpg

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~​

Playing around with different bands to pair with it:

1) French cut eternity
emmywithfrenchcutband.jpg

2) Plain yellow gold band (It's actually just the Van Craeynest solitaire I have that's just spun around. This is probably my favorite look but I'm having a devil of a time trying to find a band with the height and width juuuuust right).
emmywithplainband.jpg

3) Yellow gold bamboo band
emmywithbambooband.jpg

4) Platinum carved band from Jabel
emmywithengravedband.jpg

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~​

Phew. Thanks for making it to the end, friends. That's all I've got for now!

Last edited:

elle_71125

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm green with envy! :mrgreen: That is a total knock out! I love everything about it. From that killer emerald to the gorgeous profile view. Your new ring is phenomenal.

There's something about the bamboo band that speaks to me. Love that combo.

86DAE8FD-3227-41F8-B982-4C29DEA4C858.gif

Ps. I've been on the hunt for the right emerald so I'll be checking out that vendor now. :mrgreen:

Starstruck8

Brilliant_Rock
FINISHED RING!!
front_outdoor.jpg bywindow_indoor.jpg handshot_outdoor.jpg
profile_outdoor.jpg

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~​

Playing around with different bands to pair with it:

1) French cut eternity
emmywithfrenchcutband.jpg

2) Plain yellow gold band (It's actually just the Van Craeynest solitaire I have that's just spun around. This is probably my favorite look but I'm having a devil of a time trying to find a band with the height and width juuuuust right).
emmywithplainband.jpg

3) Yellow gold bamboo band
emmywithbambooband.jpg

4) Platinum carved band from Jabel
emmywithengravedband.jpg

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~​

Phew. Thanks for making it to the end, friends. That's all I've got for now!

Wow! That's an amazing emerald. The first and last pics show the most dramatic mariposa effect I've ever seen.

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@AnastasiaBeaverhausen -

Firstly, your hands are absolutely perfect.

Secondly, that ring is freaking AMAZING. That emerald is so beautiful, and those side stones are exactly right. I love the bezel - in fact, the whole setting is utterly delicious!

I'm glad you went with more yellow gold, as the colors complement each other so well! And as for bands, I think the 2 yellow gold, less detailed bands knock it out of the park.

Elegance, presence, craftsmanship - I mean, it's all just flawless. Congratulations!

And thank you for sharing - at last!! On PS, you really *wait* for some people's projects to hit the forum because you know they're going to be something special. This was definitely one of those!

:appl:

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Nice stone and ring, thanks for sharing!

DK :kiss2::kiss2::kiss2:

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Oh my goodness! It’s utter perfection!!! You done good! Wear Emmy in health and happiness for years to come!

lerouxt

Rough_Rock
Absolutely gorgeous and looks great on your hand. Enjoy wearing your ring and the colour of your emerald! :kiss2:

Caysie will soon be resetting my emerald and diamond trilogy as well as the setting was damaged during resizing a few years ago. Cannot wait now.

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
OMG..It’s so gorgeous!!! I love it!

bright&shiny

Brilliant_Rock
The ring is amazing - and exactly as you designed it - congratulations! Wear it in good health. Can’t wait to see what comes next)

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It turned out so pretty! Love everything about it!

Caysie will soon be resetting my emerald and diamond trilogy as well as the setting was damaged during resizing a few years ago. Cannot wait now.

So happy to hear you'll be resetting your stones so you can enjoy them again. I'll be waiting asking excitedly with you!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results