shape
carat
color
clarity

My "downgrade"! (Pics)

Discussion in 'RockyTalky' started by lowprofile, May 16, 2019 at 3:37 PM.

1. lowprofile
    Rough_Rock

by lowprofile » May 16, 2019 at 3:37 PM
    I think I'm the first person on PS to purposely "downgrade" my e-ring! :lol-2: I went from a 1.5 ctw OEC 3 stone to a .5ct RB solitaire.

I discussed it in a previous thread, but here's the story:
    My fiance proposed to me with a gorgeous heirloom ring from his side of the family. A large 3 stone OEC (.25-1.0-.25 ct), well cut, great clarity, in an intricately hand-engraved 10% irid platinum setting. And it was already my size. I love it so much. BUT it is terrible for my lifestyle. I'm in healthcare and am changing gloves all day, and I can't wear it at work as it's set too high and feels uncomfortable under the glove. Also, I just seem to whack my hands on things a lot. So every time I accidentally hit this ring on something, I'd have a mini heart attack and stare at it for 5 minutes looking for any damage. I think his great-grandmother wore this ring only for special occasions (holidays, church, cocktail parties, etc.) because it is in such great condition, and I would hate to ruin it. So my fiance and I agreed that I should shop around for a more "everyday" ring, and I wanted something very low profile. I came across the Tiffany Harmony setting and fell in love with the contours of the cathedral and how low the diamond sits. I tried it on in the Tiffany store and the culet of the diamond sits about 1mm off the finger -- perfect. It is so clean and classic. I looked for similar settings from other jewelers and couldn't find anything that set the diamond as low and had the same lines. I'm a sucker for a good deal and not paying "first buyer" prices, so I got this little beauty off of eBay from a wonderful seller. I wanted to keep my budget under $3k and got my 0.54ct D VS1 ex/ex/ex Tiffany Harmony for $2400 (well, my fiance did ;)2) -- also already in my size! This is less than I would've paid for a new setting and similar diamond, so I'm very pleased with the result. I love the heirloom ring because of the sentiment behind it (and it's gorgeous!), but the new ring feels much more "me" -- and it's 100% mine. Also I'm loving the icy whiteness of the D color diamond; I'm very color sensitive so it's nice to know it's the whitest possible. Even fiance has commented on how white it is, and how he can practically see it in the dark. :lol-2:

Photos: I apologize if they're too big, I'm not sure how to resize them without losing resolution. Also sorry if they're crappy because I've only taken cell phone photos so far! The photos don't do either ring justice. The OEC is so fiery in person, and the solitaire is so brilliant despite not being a super ideal cut by HCA/PS standards.

Size 5.25 for reference

Heirloom ring:
    heirloom1.jpg heirloom2.jpg heirloom3.jpg heirloom4.jpg (It looks a little dirty and dinged up in this photo, but it's really shiny in person with the tiniest milgrain detailing all over that gets lost in these photos)

New ring:
    tiff1.jpg tiff2.jpg tiff3.jpg

Both (the second photo is actually a 0.5ct I tried on in the store to compare):
    both1.jpg both2.jpg

2. joelly
    Brilliant_Rock
    Trade

by joelly » May 16, 2019 at 4:27 PM
    Both of your rings are gorgeous!!! :appl::appl::appl:

lowprofile likes this.
  3. SimoneDi
    Ideal_Rock

by SimoneDi » May 16, 2019 at 4:30 PM
    Both rings are absolutely stunning on you!! :love::love::love:

What a gorgeous family heirloom ring your fiancé proposed to you with! The new T&Co ring is just so classic and beautiful as well!

lowprofile likes this.
  4. tigertales
    Shiny_Rock

by tigertales » May 16, 2019 at 4:39 PM
    Good call !!!!
    Yes, the heirloom is lovely, and a sweet gift.

But that solitaire!!! SO you!

lowprofile likes this.

5. Bonfire
    Ideal_Rock

by Bonfire » May 16, 2019 at 4:40 PM
    Well you really have the best of both worlds! They are both beautiful!
    Congratulations!

lowprofile likes this.
  6. missy
    Super_Ideal_Rock

by missy » May 16, 2019 at 5:01 PM
    Yummy!:kiss2: Wear in health and blingy happiness.:appl:

lowprofile likes this.
  7. tyty333
    Super_Ideal_Rock

by tyty333 » May 16, 2019 at 5:46 PM
    Well, now you have to gorgeous rings to admire! That heirloom ring is to die for...so beautiful and I can certainly understand your concerns about
    damaging it.

Congratulations on your two beautiful rings and your engagement!

lowprofile likes this.
  8. headlight
    Brilliant_Rock

by headlight » May 16, 2019 at 6:52 PM
    Love both of them! You are not the only one to "downgrade" lol (we may need to start a new thread!) as I went from my 3.29 I to my now 2.01 E. I couldn't be happier, either. My husband still questions who am I and what has happened to his wife (the one who couldn't get a large enough diamond lol!).
    Enjoy your beauties!

9. GearGirly
    Brilliant_Rock

by GearGirly » May 16, 2019 at 7:10 PM
    I absolutely love both! Congratulations!

lowprofile likes this.
  10. prinsad
    Shiny_Rock

by prinsad » May 16, 2019 at 8:38 PM
    I love both rings so very much!!!!! Ugh that 3 stone is to die for, but I can see it not working for your profession. You made a great choice with the Tiffany ring!!

11. Crazie4Cuts
    Shiny_Rock

by Crazie4Cuts » May 16, 2019 at 8:51 PM
    I am happy for you! This is so awesome and you found a wonderful seller! Good for you! Wear in good health and happiness!
    -C4C

lowprofile likes this.
  12. voce
    Brilliant_Rock

by voce » May 16, 2019 at 9:32 PM
    Woohoo, what a great buy! Happy that you've got 2 perfect engagement rings instead of just one. You can wear more bling for fancy occasions AND still have a beautiful low profile ring for every day! :kiss2:

lowprofile likes this.
  13. arkieb1
    Ideal_Rock

by arkieb1 » May 16, 2019 at 11:50 PM
    Congrats 2 rings are even better than one!!!! If your current setting doesn't work at work then I'd suggest a bezel they are great for taking gloves off and on all day.

14. kb1gra
    Brilliant_Rock

by kb1gra » May 17, 2019 at 1:41 PM
    I also downgraded. Kept a 3.12ctw three stone and bought a .52 E/VS2 Tiffany Novo.

Very nice choice on the Harmony. Enjoy!

cflutist, lowprofile and Pimberly like this.
  15. kmoro
    Brilliant_Rock

by kmoro » May 17, 2019 at 6:53 PM
    Wow! That three stone is fabulous! I can see why you would not want to take a chance on wearing it everyday ...

And I love the Harmony - it looks great on your hand too! :kiss2:

Congratulations on your engagement and your beautiful rings!!!

16. hmr_mama
    Shiny_Rock

by hmr_mama » May 17, 2019 at 8:05 PM
    I love your "downgrade" and your original. Your new ring reminds me so much of my original ER. I chose my original because I was working in a lab, always putting on gloves. I also rode motorcycles and my original ring was easy to wear when riding. Beautiful, practical ring!

Daisys and Diamonds likes this.
  17. Dandi
    Ideal_Rock

by Dandi » May 18, 2019 at 12:40 AM
    Both rings are beautiful and look amazing on you, but I just adore the sleekness of the Tiffany! Lucky lady!

18. pearaffair
    Ideal_Rock

by pearaffair » May 20, 2019 at 1:36 AM
    I love both!!!!! Incredible!

19. mermaid
    Rough_Rock

by mermaid » May 20, 2019 at 1:51 AM
    I love both of your rings! The new one looks fantastic on your hand! Wear it with joy and in good health.