Find your jewelry
shape
carat
color
clarity

My "downgrade"! (Pics)

lowprofile

Rough_Rock
I think I'm the first person on PS to purposely "downgrade" my e-ring! :lol-2: I went from a 1.5 ctw OEC 3 stone to a .5ct RB solitaire.

I discussed it in a previous thread, but here's the story:
My fiance proposed to me with a gorgeous heirloom ring from his side of the family. A large 3 stone OEC (.25-1.0-.25 ct), well cut, great clarity, in an intricately hand-engraved 10% irid platinum setting. And it was already my size. I love it so much. BUT it is terrible for my lifestyle. I'm in healthcare and am changing gloves all day, and I can't wear it at work as it's set too high and feels uncomfortable under the glove. Also, I just seem to whack my hands on things a lot. So every time I accidentally hit this ring on something, I'd have a mini heart attack and stare at it for 5 minutes looking for any damage. I think his great-grandmother wore this ring only for special occasions (holidays, church, cocktail parties, etc.) because it is in such great condition, and I would hate to ruin it. So my fiance and I agreed that I should shop around for a more "everyday" ring, and I wanted something very low profile. I came across the Tiffany Harmony setting and fell in love with the contours of the cathedral and how low the diamond sits. I tried it on in the Tiffany store and the culet of the diamond sits about 1mm off the finger -- perfect. It is so clean and classic. I looked for similar settings from other jewelers and couldn't find anything that set the diamond as low and had the same lines. I'm a sucker for a good deal and not paying "first buyer" prices, so I got this little beauty off of eBay from a wonderful seller. I wanted to keep my budget under $3k and got my 0.54ct D VS1 ex/ex/ex Tiffany Harmony for $2400 (well, my fiance did ;)2) -- also already in my size! This is less than I would've paid for a new setting and similar diamond, so I'm very pleased with the result. I love the heirloom ring because of the sentiment behind it (and it's gorgeous!), but the new ring feels much more "me" -- and it's 100% mine. Also I'm loving the icy whiteness of the D color diamond; I'm very color sensitive so it's nice to know it's the whitest possible. Even fiance has commented on how white it is, and how he can practically see it in the dark. :lol-2:

Photos: I apologize if they're too big, I'm not sure how to resize them without losing resolution. Also sorry if they're crappy because I've only taken cell phone photos so far! The photos don't do either ring justice. The OEC is so fiery in person, and the solitaire is so brilliant despite not being a super ideal cut by HCA/PS standards.

Size 5.25 for reference

Heirloom ring:
heirloom1.jpg heirloom2.jpg (It looks a little dirty and dinged up in this photo, but it's really shiny in person with the tiniest milgrain detailing all over that gets lost in these photos)

New ring:
tiff1.jpg tiff2.jpg tiff3.jpg

Both (the second photo is actually a 0.5ct I tried on in the store to compare):
both1.jpg both2.jpg

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Both rings are absolutely stunning on you!! :love::love::love:

What a gorgeous family heirloom ring your fiancé proposed to you with! The new T&Co ring is just so classic and beautiful as well!

Bonfire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well you really have the best of both worlds! They are both beautiful!
Congratulations!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yummy!:kiss2: Wear in health and blingy happiness.:appl:

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well, now you have to gorgeous rings to admire! That heirloom ring is to die for...so beautiful and I can certainly understand your concerns about
damaging it.

Congratulations on your two beautiful rings and your engagement!

headlight

Brilliant_Rock
Love both of them! You are not the only one to "downgrade" lol (we may need to start a new thread!) as I went from my 3.29 I to my now 2.01 E. I couldn't be happier, either. My husband still questions who am I and what has happened to his wife (the one who couldn't get a large enough diamond lol!).
Enjoy your beauties!

Crazie4Cuts

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I am happy for you! This is so awesome and you found a wonderful seller! Good for you! Wear in good health and happiness!
-C4C

voce

Ideal_Rock
Woohoo, what a great buy! Happy that you've got 2 perfect engagement rings instead of just one. You can wear more bling for fancy occasions AND still have a beautiful low profile ring for every day! :kiss2:

kmoro

Brilliant_Rock
Wow! That three stone is fabulous! I can see why you would not want to take a chance on wearing it everyday ...

And I love the Harmony - it looks great on your hand too! :kiss2:

Congratulations on your engagement and your beautiful rings!!!

hmr_mama

Shiny_Rock
I love your "downgrade" and your original. Your new ring reminds me so much of my original ER. I chose my original because I was working in a lab, always putting on gloves. I also rode motorcycles and my original ring was easy to wear when riding. Beautiful, practical ring!

Dandi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Both rings are beautiful and look amazing on you, but I just adore the sleekness of the Tiffany! Lucky lady!

mermaid

Rough_Rock
I love both of your rings! The new one looks fantastic on your hand! Wear it with joy and in good health.

Be a part of the community It's free, join today!

Need Something Special?

Get a quote from multiple trusted and vetted jewelers.

Holloway Cut Advisor

Diamond Eye Candy

Click to view full-size image.