shape
carat
color
clarity

My diamond stud search is on - need a little help to get started

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

pixley

Brilliant_Rock

Soo, I went through diamonseeker2006's wonderful "Show me your diamond studs" thread (gorgeous studs, ladies on there, BTW) and got it in my head that I was going to aim for something in the .60 ctw. Then I took a little trip to Birks and tried on some .32 martini set studs (for $1600 - GAH!

23.gif
) and .60 basket set studs and the .60s looked waaaay to big - but they were basket set, so perhaps that contributed to the overly bulky appearance. Then the salesgirl told me that they are .32 ctw and .60 ctw, which means that the size I can actually comfortably pull off, is half of what I thought I wanted.

So I'm looking for something in the .40s ctw., martini set in platinum. Can someone explain the cut/performance difference and setting quality difference between the H&A martini studs at GOG and the ACAs in martini settings from WF and why so many more PSrs go for the ACA studs over the GOG H&As? Will I even get to choose individual stones in that small a size? I'm thinking G-H/VS quality is sufficient, but do want the best possible cut to make them dazzling.

If anyone can direct me to a good thread on this topic, please do. My searches haven't been very fruitful.

Thanks all,

Pix

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/5/2009 3:26:40 PM
Author:pixley

Soo, I went through diamonseeker2006''s wonderful ''Show me your diamond studs'' thread (gorgeous studs, ladies on there, BTW) and got it in my head that I was going to aim for something in the .60 ctw. Then I took a little trip to Birks and tried on some .32 martini set studs (for $1600 - GAH!

23.gif
) and .60 basket set studs and the .60s looked waaaay to big - but they were basket set, so perhaps that contributed to the overly bulky appearance. Then the salesgirl told me that they are .32 ctw and .60 ctw, which means that the size I can actually comfortably pull off, is half of what I thought I wanted.

So I''m looking for something in the .40s ctw., martini set in platinum. Can someone explain the cut/performance difference and setting quality difference between the H&A martini studs at GOG and the ACAs in martini settings from WF and why so many more PSrs go for the ACA studs over the GOG H&As? Will I even get to choose individual stones in that small a size? I''m thinking G-H/VS quality is sufficient, but do want the best possible cut to make them dazzling.

If anyone can direct me to a good thread on this topic, please do. My searches haven''t been very fruitful.

Thanks all,

Pix
Hi Pixers,

You can certainly choose the ACA''s you want in that size, unless you definitely prefer VS / GH then you could consider SI clarity and even H I or J colour as a suggestion - but if you prefer the above then no worries! Also heres a thought - WF do the Ready set to Go studs which are Expert Selection diamonds - not upgradable but if that isn''t a consideration then you could check those out.

pixley

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks Lorelei! That''s great news. In your experience, is there a reason more people go with the WF ones over GOG? Is it the setting or the stone cut that shifts people over to the WF route? I don''t forsee myself upgrading, but would like the option just in case, which is why I would be less inclined to do the WF Ready, Set, Go route.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/5/2009 4:11:18 PM
Author: pixley
Thanks Lorelei! That's great news. In your experience, is there a reason more people go with the WF ones over GOG? Is it the setting or the stone cut that shifts people over to the WF route? I don't forsee myself upgrading, but would like the option just in case, which is why I would be less inclined to do the WF Ready, Set, Go route.
I am not sure on why that is so Pix, maybe because the ACA brand is so well known that has something to do with it. I agree it is nice to have the option of upgrading so the ACA or some of Jon's upgradable diamonds would be the way to go! Hehehe!!! Just had another thought, you could check out some Infinity on Wink's new website -

www.highperformancediamonds.com as Infinity are upgradable and I think Wink does stock martinis ( if not he might be able to get some).

pixley

Brilliant_Rock
I did think of Infinity, but the search doesn't bring up anything in that size range. It's certainly worth a call though. Yummm. Thanks again for the help! Will make some phone calls and come back to post options. I will definitely need help with rounds as I have been in lost in cushionland and have much ground to make up on the RB knowledge front...

elle_chris

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/5/2009 3:26:40 PM
Author:pixley

Soo, I went through diamonseeker2006''s wonderful ''Show me your diamond studs'' thread (gorgeous studs, ladies on there, BTW) and got it in my head that I was going to aim for something in the .60 ctw. Then I took a little trip to Birks and tried on some .32 martini set studs (for $1600 - GAH!

23.gif

So I''m looking for something in the .40s ctw., martini set in platinum. Can someone explain the cut/performance difference and setting quality difference between the H&A martini studs at GOG and the ACAs in martini settings from WF and why so many more PSrs go for the ACA studs over the GOG H&As? Will I even get to choose individual stones in that small a size? I''m thinking G-H/VS quality is sufficient, but do want the best possible cut to make them dazzling.

If anyone can direct me to a good thread on this topic, please do. My searches haven''t been very fruitful.

Thanks all,

Pix
Pixley- I''ve purchased from both but went with Whiteflash this time because they just had what I was looking for. I checked GoG''s site but I didn''t see anthing I could match up in the color/clarity combo I wanted.
I don''t think you can go wrong with either vendor.

As far as martinis, I just want to make sure you know that they do strectch your piericings. I''m looking into getting mine reset now. I had tiny holes, and only received my earrings in December. Well, they''re not so tiny anymore.

pixley

Brilliant_Rock
Hi elle
35.gif
That's a really good point. I did see your post about the martini setting stretching out your piercings and I certainly don't want National Georgraphic earlobes. Do you know if the little donut shape at the base of the WF custom martinis would prevent the stretching from happening? Sna77 had his wife's studs done in the custom WF martini and it seems they have a little round ring at the base of the stone... I really didn't enjoy basket settings on my ears - they just stuck out too far on my ear. Would love to hear how you're resetting yours.

elle_chris

Ideal_Rock
hmm, not sure what WF did differently for Sna? But if the ring/donut on his wifes martinis prevent them from stretching, that''s an ideal option.

I do love Neatfreaks new earrings and was considering those.

coatimundi_org

Ideal_Rock
How fun Pixley! I think the size you''re looking at is great too. I really love NF''s settings and the modified martinis sound great too--no stretchy lobe. I''m no help here, but wanted to wish you--Good luck, hon!

pixley

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/5/2009 5:09:04 PM
Author: elle_chris
hmm, not sure what WF did differently for Sna? But if the ring/donut on his wifes martinis prevent them from stretching, that''s an ideal option.

I do love Neatfreaks new earrings and was considering those.
Neatfreaks are TDF. Love those so much and they''ll look great in the size you have! I''ll have to check out Sna77''s pictures again and compare them against the reg. martinis.

pixley

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/5/2009 5:16:03 PM
Author: coatimundi
How fun Pixley! I think the size you''re looking at is great too. I really love NF''s settings and the modified martinis sound great too--no stretchy lobe. I''m no help here, but wanted to wish you--Good luck, hon!
Awww thanks Coaties! I was so shocked to learn that I needed way smaller stones than I anticipated. I love NF''s too, but worry my stones will be too small for that setting. They are delicious.
30.gif

pixley

Brilliant_Rock
Studs update:
Started my stone search with WF, but in the 20-25 pointers, they only have non-certed ACA melee which is F/G VS quality and non-upgradable.
8.gif

Quotes for two 20 pointers came in at $580 and $1040.00 for two 25 pointers (not including plat. martini settings). I couldn’t justify paying the premium for the high color/clarity combo on stones that size, especially if they weren’t upgradable… Further test runs showed that I could in fact “tolerate larger stud sizes”
31.gif
so I wanted to make sure that I’d have the upgrade option further down the line.

So, I took Lorelei’s advice and called Wink (who is delightful, BTW!) to see if he had any Cut by Infinity melee that I could start with, but Infinity doesn’t cut stones in my size range. Fortunately, Wink does have a trusted H&A source and called in two .25 ct H-I/SI stones that he thinks are stunning! At this point, that’s all I know because I missed his call (cell phone was off for yoga class) and by the time I thought to turn it back on and check for messages, he had already left.

When I talk to him next, what further info should I ask for? Do I need to worry about color and eyecleanliness at that size? My solitaire stone is F/VS1, so clearly those grades have visual and mind-clean value to me. Would you recommend requesting the usual IS, ASET, T%, D%, crown and pav. angles for the stones that size or just some macro photos of the two side-by-side to approve the color, clarity and faceting?

Any suggestions/guidance would be most appreciated!

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
Wink does video of his stones for the customers. I guess you could ask him to make you one, with the 2 stones together?

pixley

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks Stone-cold
35.gif

Wink''s vids are faboo! I always like his running commentary too.
9.gif

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/15/2009 2:24:19 PM
Studs update:
Started my stone search with WF, but in the 20-25 pointers, they only have non-certed ACA melee which is F/G VS quality and non-upgradable.
8.gif

Quotes for two 20 pointers came in at $580 and $1040.00 for two 25 pointers (not including plat. martini settings). I couldn’t justify paying the premium for the high color/clarity combo on stones that size, especially if they weren’t upgradable… Further test runs showed that I could in fact “tolerate larger stud sizes”
31.gif
so I wanted to make sure that I’d have the upgrade option further down the line.

So, I took Lorelei’s advice and called Wink (who is delightful, BTW!) to see if he had any Cut by Infinity melee that I could start with, but Infinity doesn’t cut stones in my size range. Fortunately, Wink does have a trusted H&A source and called in two .25 ct H-I/SI stones that he thinks are stunning! At this point, that’s all I know because I missed his call (cell phone was off for yoga class) and by the time I thought to turn it back on and check for messages, he had already left.

When I talk to him next, what further info should I ask for? Do I need to worry about color and eyecleanliness at that size? My solitaire stone is F/VS1, so clearly those grades have visual and mind-clean value to me. Would you recommend requesting the usual IS, ASET, T%, D%, crown and pav. angles for the stones that size or just some macro photos of the two side-by-side to approve the color, clarity and faceting?

Any suggestions/guidance would be most appreciated!
Hi Pix,

In that size they should be pretty much eyeclean, colour should be fine - I think some closeup photos would be useful. But Wink will also be able to give you a great description of the diamonds and the various nuances of performance and cut precision, he should be able to give you a good idea if they are what you are looking for! You can certainly ask for the proportions and I would be glad to take a look for you! If you request any images ask for ASET.

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/15/2009 2:31:46 PM
Thanks Stone-cold
35.gif

Wink's vids are faboo! I always like his running commentary too.
9.gif

Ya, his commentaries are fun. :)

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/15/2009 2:32:22 PM
Author: Lorelei

Hi Pix,

In that size they should be pretty much eyeclean, colour should be fine - I think some closeup photos would be useful. But Wink will also be able to give you a great description of the diamonds and the various nuances of performance and cut precision, he should be able to give you a good idea if they are what you are looking for! You can certainly ask for the proportions and I would be glad to take a look for you! If you request any images ask for ASET.
Ditto, how exciting!!! I think you choose a great size; I wear my earrings almost daily. I think you will be fine in color; I have J studs and they look great to me.
3.gif
How fun; I can''t wait to see them
36.gif

pixley

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks Lorelei and Skippers!

I am suuuuper excited and if all checks out, they could be set by the end o'' the week!
36.gif
I''ll try to catch up with Wink tomorrow and will definitely take you up on your gracious offer to help me make sense of the images and stats.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/15/2009 2:48:12 PM

I am suuuuper excited and if all checks out, they could be set by the end o'' the week!
36.gif
I''ll try to catch up with Wink tomorrow and will definitely take you up on your gracious offer to help me make sense of the images and stats.
Just let us know, very exciting!!!!

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/15/2009 2:50:34 PM

I am suuuuper excited and if all checks out, they could be set by the end o' the week!
36.gif
I'll try to catch up with Wink tomorrow and will definitely take you up on your gracious offer to help me make sense of the images and stats.
Wooo, the gorgeous/sweet Lorelei knows imagines. i will come ooooh and aaaah with her. hehe
36.gif
36.gif
Can't wait!

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/15/2009 3:02:07 PM
Author: Skippy123

Date: 2/15/2009 2:50:34 PM

I am suuuuper excited and if all checks out, they could be set by the end o' the week!
36.gif
I'll try to catch up with Wink tomorrow and will definitely take you up on your gracious offer to help me make sense of the images and stats.
Wooo, the gorgeous/sweet Lorelei knows imagines. i will come ooooh and aaaah with her. hehe
36.gif
36.gif
Can't wait!
* Blush* you are too kind Skippers!!!! I try my best to help!

chiquitapet

Ideal_Rock
What an exciting project, Pix!! I think the size you chose is perfect for everyday wear!! Can''t wait to see the final product!

pixley

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/15/2009 3:21:17 PM
Author: chiquitapet
What an exciting project, Pix!! I think the size you chose is perfect for everyday wear!! Can't wait to see the final product!
Thanks, chiquitapet! I think this'll be a fantastic size for every day wear and I do indeed plan to wear them every day, which is why I'm taking the time to find the right ones. Later on, if I decide I want larger studs, I may just stash these away for my DD's graduation gift, which is another reason I'm taking such care to assemble a PS-approved pair.

ETA - your ring is so beautiful! I checked your thread and saw that you worked with MDX. I worked with their Toronto counterpart and I thought they were fantastic.

pixley

Brilliant_Rock
Initial stats for Lorelei, and our other cut gurus.

No pics yet, but I'm a little iffy about the pavilion angles - both stones scored over 2 on the HCA, so I should probably request both ASET and IS, correct?

Diameter 4.14 x 4.17 4.14 x 4.17
Depth 2.56 61.6% 2.52 60.7%
Table 54.8% 56.6%
Crown Angle 34.4 degrees 34.4 degrees
Crown % 15.1% 14.4%
Pavilion Angle 41.1 degrees 41.1 degrees
Pavilion 43.3% 43%
Girdle Sl Thick Medium

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
An IS should be fine for round.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/16/2009 2:13:44 PM
Initial stats for Lorelei, and our other cut gurus.

No pics yet, but I'm a little iffy about the pavilion angles - both stones scored over 2 on the HCA, so I should probably request both ASET and IS, correct?

Diameter 4.14 x 4.17 4.14 x 4.17
Depth 2.56 61.6% 2.52 60.7%
Table 54.8% 56.6%
Crown Angle 34.4 degrees 34.4 degrees
Crown % 15.1% 14.4%
Pavilion Angle 41.1 degrees 41.1 degrees
Pavilion 43.3% 43%
Girdle Sl Thick Medium
Hi Pix,

Actually ASET would be good if you can get it in preference to IS. The above diamonds look promising by the proportions, they scored the way they did because of the pavilion angles being a bit steeper, they are probably fine but an ASET would be good to check - thanks dear for the info!

pixley

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks so much, Lorelei!

Yeah, my eyes bugged out a little when I saw the pavilion angles. I''m hoping they can get the images soon so I can stop hyperventilating.
32.gif

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/16/2009 2:30:25 PM
Thanks so much, Lorelei!

Yeah, my eyes bugged out a little when I saw the pavilion angles. I'm hoping they can get the images soon so I can stop hyperventilating.
32.gif
Most welcome - the images will be very helpful but I am optimistic they will be fine!!

Gailey

Ideal_Rock
So you''re not getting them from Birks? Good

My husband spent over C$4,000 on mine and I was so disappointed I could have cried.

pixley

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/16/2009 7:53:31 PM
Author: Gailey
So you're not getting them from Birks? Good

My husband spent over C$4,000 on mine and I was so disappointed I could have cried.

Oh heck nooooo! The markup at Birks is insane, but it's one of the few places that keeps multiple sizes of high color and clarity studs on hand. Most boutique jewelers where I live don't carry a wide size range (and even those are over-priced) and the maul store studs are hideous beasts, so I wound up at Birks for my test drive phase.

I'm sorry to hear that you feel disappointed with yours. They do have an upgrade policy if you feel like you could improve upon the cut, but there isn't any way to get around their ridiculous price points.

ETA - Wink's going to take an IS photo but is not set up to take a good ASET image, so the IS will have to do. Stay tuned.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results