shape
carat
color
clarity

My Dad doing his bit for Medical Research.

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My dear Dad has been battling metastatic Melanoma for nearly 5 years now. At 84 and male he is a member of a very small group of longer term survivors. During his battle he has survived deadly infections, sepsis, organ failure, pneumonia, a failed skin graft, and two minor brain bleeds so the list is long. He recently has been advised of progression, no surprise there, but to skeletal muscles. This is again really really rare. Its a unique opportunity for researchers to learn more about this hideous, sneaky cancer. Given his age and history they were very reluctant to request his participation in any further trials or further testing - its onerous and fraught with unknown complications. Not to worry, Dad just offers himself up. He says it’s a privilege not a burden to help advance science - too late for him, no magic cure or “stay” happening for him, but for the others behind him it might make a difference.
Very proud of my Dad and likewise very proud of my daughter whose career will be in Medical research.

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
My dear Dad has been battling metastatic Melanoma for nearly 5 years now. At 84 and male he is a member of a very small group of longer term survivors. During his battle he has survived deadly infections, sepsis, organ failure, pneumonia, a failed skin graft, and two minor brain bleeds so the list is long. He recently has been advised of progression, no surprise there, but to skeletal muscles. This is again really really rare. Its a unique opportunity for researchers to learn more about this hideous, sneaky cancer. Given his age and history they were very reluctant to request his participation in any further trials or further testing - its onerous and fraught with unknown complications. Not to worry, Dad just offers himself up. He says it’s a privilege not a burden to help advance science - too late for him, no magic cure or “stay” happening for him, but for the others behind him it might make a difference.
Very proud of my Dad and likewise very proud of my daughter whose career will be in Medical research.

I am sorry to hear of his illness and progression. What a wonderful gift he gives to other melanoma sufferers. Sounds like his grandaughter will continue the fight. Yes, you should be so proud.

voce

Ideal_Rock
Your dad is very courageous, and it's only natural and right to be proud of both your dad and daughter.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm so sorry B :(sad
Of course you're proud of him. But I do wish you didn't have to be proud of him.
I'm thinking of him, and you, and your family. Your dad is has beaten the odds so many times - hoping for one more...
Please let us know how you're doing...
::HUGS::

MRBXXXFVVS1

Brilliant_Rock
Sorry to hear your Dad is going through this, but it is so wonderful to hear about his generousity to help others. So grateful there are people like your Dad in this world!

Tremsi

Rough_Rock
This brought tears to my eyes. What a beautiful person, soul and legacy. I’ll still pray for a cure or a stay! God bless to your dad and your family. You just renewed my faith in the human race!

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
@Bron357 Your dad is amazing person to try to help other people when he is battling this himself. I can see why you’re so proud of him. I hope he has many many years left to spend with you.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Your father is a truly outstanding person.

Polabowla

Brilliant_Rock
This made me tear up a bit. I'm sorry for his long horrible illness! It is so selfless of your father to help the research.
Sending hugs & strength to all of you & kudos to your daughter!

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's people like your Dad that make life better for all mankind. I am sorry about his illness and wish him well.

Luce

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
@Bron357 I am so sorry your family is dealing with this. Your Dad must be an amazing man. He and your daughter are both heroes.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Your Dad is a hero in my book. I am sorry that he is going through this. With all that he has been through, he still chooses
to burden himself with more testing to help those that might get this horrible disease. Tell him that we thank him for his
efforts to help future generations.

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium
What a selfless act, I hope your Dad’s journey isn’t too much of a burden for him to bear.

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What an impressive man. And what a privilege to have a man like that as one's father. I wish him well.

Bonfire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
What a selfless and honorable man your father is.
How proud you must be. Hugs!

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
What a guy your dad is!

So sorry he's had to battle all of these things though - life can be so unfair. But how amazing that he's going to put himself up for this. Here's wishing him many more years.

And hats off to your daughter too - you have every right to be bursting with pride for both of them.

Dandi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
What a wonderful man, he sounds like the most selfless person. I'm so sorry for what he and you have all been through in recent years, but it sounds like it takes an awful lot to slow him down! And kudos to your amazing daughter on the career path she has chosen.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank your dad for me, thats amazing. A very brave thing to do considering the unknowns!

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Bron, I had to sit in this for a while before replying because it reminds me of my dad and how he did the same thing (but with non hodgkins, diffuse large B cell cancer). One day, he died peacefully in his sleep (not a surprise, but was unexpected since he was in his 4th remission at the time).

Here’s to your dad, my dad and these tough old guys who selflessly think of others and helping future cancer patients.

Hugs.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results