shape
carat
color
clarity

my chairs are scratching wood floors- HELP

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

asscherisme

Ideal_Rock
I have beautiful oak wood floors in my kitchen. Its looking wonderful since I finally found something great to clean it with (Bona).

The problem I have though is an ongoing one. I have wood kitchen chairs and the pad things don''t stay on very well. I use felt pads that won''t stay stuck to the bottoms of the chairs. I am constantly having to go to home depot and buy new pads and even then they don''t stay on very well. They slide around the bottom and leave sticky gooey mess on my wood floors (from the adhesive on the felt pads to stick to the chair.

I tired the kind of pads that you nail on and nailed them on all 6 of my chairs and they were leavig white marks on my floors so I had to spend an evening prying them off my chairs with pliers.

Why am I having such a hard time finding something to put on the bottom of my wood chairs that won''t scratch my wood floor?

I can''t do a rug because with 4 kids I end of with lots of food on the floor!

Sabine

Ideal_Rock
I don''t know where to get these, but I know I''ve seen little circles of felt that stick on to things...have you tried something like that?

aliceinwonderland

Shiny_Rock
I have seen something that looks sort of like knitted booties for chairs that seemed to work pretty well. Alternately you could make fabric booties that fit over the end of the chair leg... maybe if they were in the same colour as the chair leg they wouldnt be totally hideous?

:) Alice

asscherisme

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/2/2009 4:32:55 PM
Author: Sabine
I don''t know where to get these, but I know I''ve seen little circles of felt that stick on to things...have you tried something like that?
Thats what I''m using and they don''t stay on. And the sticky stuff gets all over my wood floors when they come off.

asscherisme

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/2/2009 4:43:16 PM
Author: aliceinwonderland
I have seen something that looks sort of like knitted booties for chairs that seemed to work pretty well. Alternately you could make fabric booties that fit over the end of the chair leg... maybe if they were in the same colour as the chair leg they wouldnt be totally hideous?

:) Alice
What a great ideal. Know I need to find something like it online because I am so not handy.

Keep the ideas coming!

cnspotts

Brilliant_Rock
Have you tried the little rubber/plastic caps that fit over the end of the chairs? They''re usually with the felt pads in Home depot. If not the felt pads work great, maybe try to glue them on with something like Gorilla glue?

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
We have felt pads and they do stay on. We may have used super glue and they've held up even with us moving the chairs around all the time.

beau13

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/2/2009 4:10:39 PM
Author:asscherisme
I have beautiful oak wood floors in my kitchen. Its looking wonderful since I finally found something great to clean it with (Bona).

The problem I have though is an ongoing one. I have wood kitchen chairs and the pad things don't stay on very well. I use felt pads that won't stay stuck to the bottoms of the chairs. I am constantly having to go to home depot and buy new pads and even then they don't stay on very well. They slide around the bottom and leave sticky gooey mess on my wood floors (from the adhesive on the felt pads to stick to the chair.

I tired the kind of pads that you nail on and nailed them on all 6 of my chairs and they were leavig white marks on my floors so I had to spend an evening prying them off my chairs with pliers.

Why am I having such a hard time finding something to put on the bottom of my wood chairs that won't scratch my wood floor?

I can't do a rug because with 4 kids I end of with lots of food on the floor!
VERY nice!!
30.gif

I had that problem with chairs that had legs on a angle..rather than legs that are more straight up and down. The pads would never stay on, because of the angle of the legs, could that be the problem?? What kind of chairs do you have? I bought a new dining set, and made sure that the bottom of the legs (chairs) sat flat on the floor and now the felt pads stay on the bottom of the legs with ease.

beau13

Ideal_Rock
These style chairs were similar to what I had, and the felts never stayed on, because of the angle of the legs.

chairs2.jpg

beau13

Ideal_Rock
These style chairs will allow the felts to stay on the legs better because of the angle, more upright. Are your chairs built more like these, or the first pic?

chairs1.jpg

asscherisme

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/2/2009 8:09:51 PM
Author: beau13
These style chairs were similar to what I had, and the felts never stayed on, because of the angle of the legs.
Thats exactly what I have! And I hate them, absolutely hate them and regret buying them because they are not my style. I liked them when I got them in 1996 but hate them now. But I don''t want to spend the money to replace them now.

So its a chair thing vs the product I''m using. I have tried what feels like everything, I did even glue the felt pads (that were already self stick) with gorilla glue and that only lasted a month.

GREAT tip on next set being flat. I really like you current type chairs and would love to get something like that now. But I''m in saving mode right now.

beau13

Ideal_Rock
YUP...I'm thinking it's the leg style on your chairs (more so the angle of the legs )..NOTHING will stick to the bottom, because when you sit, the pressure the legs put on the floor is not evenly distributed. It's like the chair legs spread outward a bit. The weight is more evenly distributed when you sit on chairs that have legs in a more upright (straight up and down) position, and actually make the felts stick more. Until you've experienced what we have, with those "cottage" or "farm" style chairs..it's hard to explain. If you can't replace them right now..then you may have to put an area rug under them for the time being, or those little "socks" that someone mentioned. Now you know what type of chairs to look for when you buy the new set! I had to buy a new set when we installed the hardwood floors about 6 months ago. Hubby babies his floors, andd look for new scratches/dents weekly! lol. I haven't had a problem with the new chairs!!
36.gif

Italiahaircolor

Ideal_Rock
What about using a bit of hot glue, or wood glue on the felt pad before applying them?

laine

Brilliant_Rock
I''d give the nail-on pads another try, maybe a different brand, and just on one chair for starters. I know they''ve worked really well for my parents.

Aloros

Brilliant_Rock
Do you care how the chairs look? My mom takes old tennis balls, cuts the top in an x shape, and puts them on the chair feet. No scratches! It works great.

Of course, it looks a little goofy too.
25.gif

lili

Ideal_Rock
We use one of those nail-on felt pads for chairs.
Instead of the sticky, it is basically a plastic disc with a 1/4 inch cylinder that you need to nail into the leg of the chair.
I know they sell them at homedepot and BedBath&Beyond.

They worked great....hadn''t have to nail on any new ones in the last 4 yrs.

sunkist

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/2/2009 8:09:51 PM
Author: beau13

I''ve seen just at Walmart felt tabs that are on swiveling things so it wouldn''t matter the angle.

rainwood

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I was thinking about tennis balls as a temporary solution as well. Aloros is right that they look kind of goofy but they''d work.

Steel

Ideal_Rock
I have always used the sticky on pads. They do come off so I always check they are still on every time I hoover the floor. I keep a stash of the pads and just replace..replace...replace..ad nauseum.

In the past I used plastic circular cups which had felt pads on the bottom. You rammed the foot of the furniture into the cup and it stayed on - forever. But I cannot find them anymore
39.gif

Best of luck.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results