shape
carat
color
clarity

My Brick and Mortar Experience

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

BAM54321

Rough_Rock
I had the store bring in a stone for me to look at (required a 500.00 deposit to do so). When I showed up, the store reversed the charges for the deposit before we ever discussed the deal. I'm in the market for a 1.04 to approx. 1.20 heart shaped E to H VS2-SI 1 eye clean). Few stores have them in house because they are not popular. I did some research and found out that I could get the same stone for up to 1000.00 cheaper from a vendor on this site (out of state no less). When I informed him of other's prices ( three had it listed for cheaper) he insisted that they must be different stones. When I provided the Cert # and told him where the inclusions were (it was clear that he had never seen the Cert) he huddled with his 'team' and admitted that it was in fact the same stone. He made some calls and eventually agreed to come down on price. We eventually agreed on a price that was fair to both of us (with me taking about a 300.00 hit, not to mention sales tax, for the sake of sealing the deal and for the services that he would offer post purchase).

We then tried to come to terms on a setting. I wanted a Simon G that had to be modified to accomodate the heart shape. He tried to sell me on a custom that he could put together that was very similar because he wasn't sure that Simon G would modify it and if he could/would it would be 'much more." I told him that I would give it some thought and get back to him the next day. The setting was to be white gold. When we returned the next day, my wife questioned him about the content of the white gold and expressed fears about it turning yellow. Mind you, this was after he brought out the stone for me to look at one final time.

At that point he got up and went to talk to his manager. Then the manager came over and told me that he had some bad news. He told me that he had sold the stone for their original asking price. I asked him why he would have me sit there for over an hour reviewing the stone and discussing the content of the setting, if he had already sold the stone. He replied by saying " we did retrun your deposit." I said that was an unethical move and simply left. Needless to say, I don't believe that he sold the stone, highly doubt that he bought it for their collection, and will be looking for it to pop back up in virtual inventories in the near future.

What I learned- If you truly want the best price, you would be a fool not to strongly consider buying online. You can't rush the deal- be patient and do your research because they more you know, the more unlikley you will be to fall for the 'razzle dazzle."

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
B&M stores must HATE the Internet.

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
Good luck.

Gleam

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 10/25/2009 3:24:43 PM
Author:BAM54321
I had the store bring in a stone for me to look at (required a 500.00 deposit to do so).

What kind of jeweler requires a $500 deposit to bring in a stone? That''s their job. My jeweler brought in a dozen stones from various vendors and didn''t charge me a dime to see them. The one I ended up buying was actually sent it from a vendor. Weird. Is it common to charge people a deposit to look at stones?

Regular Guy

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/25/2009 3:24:43 PM
Author:BAM54321

At that point he got up and went to talk to his manager. Then the manager came over and told me that he had some bad news. He told me that he had sold the stone for their original asking price. I asked him why he would have me sit there for over an hour reviewing the stone and discussing the content of the setting, if he had already sold the stone. He replied by saying '' we did retrun your deposit.'' I said that was an unethical move and simply left. Needless to say, I don''t believe that he sold the stone, highly doubt that he bought it for their collection, and will be looking for it to pop back up in virtual inventories in the near future.

What I learned- If you truly want the best price, you would be a fool not to strongly consider buying online. You can''t rush the deal- be patient and do your research because they more you know, the more unlikley you will be to fall for the ''razzle dazzle.''
My sense is that there is a lot of wisdom of consequences in this post.

Pricescope is sort of a strange place...another world. I think the internal validation you can expect with it is straightforward...but if you try to replicate the consequences locally, you may have problems. Particularly, if you try to manage the process...well...I think you have seen the results of this.

Frequently, when shopping, I think it makes sense to follow your nose. If you try to reconfigure a local shopping situation to have it look like what you read here...you will lose.

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
They didn''t want your business sorry to say. Luckily there are many other vendors ... brick & mortar AND online ... who do.

I think its wrong for them to lie about their reasons, but perfectly within their rights to choose not to proceed with an uncompleted deal. Obviously they weren''t sure they could please you and still make the profit they wanted while trying to.

If you love the stone I do hope it shows up back on the market elsewhere!

BAM54321

Rough_Rock
The "Ideal Rocks" seem to be hitting the nail on the head. I pushed too hard or gave off a bad vibe and the deal fell through. I insisted on getting the stone at a 'fair' price and then had the nerve to question the material of the ring! Who the hell do I think I am! It is much different 'out there' than it is 'in here.' I did feel the frustration on their part, but thought I was being 'fair' considering I was going to allow them to make what I thought would be a reasonable profit (4 or 5 hundred more than the next guy on the stone plus the mark up on the setting instead of the 1000 mark up on the stone and the mark up on the setting). Truth be told, I was only willing to do that because I wanted to be done with it. Now I am thinking why was I even going to do that?! Thats my 4 or 5 hundred! I feel like the curtain has been lifted, and many stores only want to deal with those who have not had a look behind it. Theres only so many ways to say "I know better, cut me a better deal." I need to practice ways of saying that without offending anyone. For the record- I didn't love the stone. I thinks it's unwise to love things...I just wanted it.

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
An interesting story.
From the retailers persspective they probably felt you would be too much trouble with too many questions. They have loyal full paying clients who take their word for things like choice of metal and alloys etc.
A store based business model is more costly.

From your side you seem to have tried to be amicable and reasonable.

I lectured to 50 trade people yesterday and very few of the people in the room would have even wanted to meet you half way, and most had horror stories of clients who came with web matching quotes only to examine the finished ring with a microscope and drive them nuts.

I can see two sides of this coin, but thank you for your open way of sharing your story

bgray

Brilliant_Rock
Dear BAM54321

While I am sure you are frustrated and annoyed and somewhat rightfully so I also feel some level of empathy for the business owner. You wanted the online bare bones price with the convenience of walking in the door and "being done with it." Personally I think you are forgetting that everyone is just trying to earn a living the best way they know how. There CANNOT be just online stores (I dont want that world,it would be a dreary world without lovely stores with real people and beautiful workmanship on display to see and touch.) The diamond business has evolved dramatically due to the internet with the benefit being knowledge and pricing power yet we still want to see and touch and contemplate our purchases............at whose cost? If the B&M jewelry stores all went out of business and it was all online, the prices would go back up (no competition) and it would be very hard to visually plan and decide and purchase the other parts of the package; the mounting, the bands and so on. Just my 2 cents.

BAM54321

Rough_Rock
Garry H- Appreciate the reply. Your site, and the information it provides, is truly top shelf.

BAM54321

Rough_Rock
bgRay- I hear you loud and clear and agree with most of what you said. I didn't, however, try to get the bare bones price. I will now- online- but I didn't then. I was prepared to pay the guy about 400 to 500 more on a 4000 purchase than the bare bones (not to mention the tax and my willingess to pay full price for the setting). I would assume- maybe incorrectly- that he would have made additional profit based on what he got the stone for as well. I thought that was 'fair." I was well aware of the value of being able to see it and touch it, and tried to respect his plight. In a game of inches you simply can't charge me by the foot...period.

exoticisabella

Shiny_Rock
Date: 10/25/2009 11:51:03 PM
Author: BAM54321
bgRay- I hear you loud and clear and agree with most of what you said. I didn''t, however, try to get the bare bones price. I will now- online- but I didn''t then. I was prepared to pay the guy about 400 to 500 more on a 4000 purchase than the bare bones (not to mention the tax and my willingess to pay full price for the setting). I would assume- maybe incorrectly- that he would have made additional profit based on what he got the stone for as well. I thought that was ''fair.'' I was well aware of the value of being able to see it and touch it, and tried to respect his plight. In a game of inches you simply can''t charge me by the foot...period.
A bit off subject, but I always find the mention of taxes and not paying them rather interesting. Technically tax SHOULD always be paid. If it is not in the form of sales tax then it is reqired to be in the form of use tax. In reality it almost never happens. I also have a lot of empathy for the B&M stores. As consumers become more educated about the "goods" and online retailers become more prominent it would be logical that great "service" provided by these B&M stores is the only thing left to set them apart. After all, it''s always nice to know that you have an actual store to take your rings to for any services they may need.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results