shape
carat
color
clarity

My bathroom linen cabinet...suggestions?

1ofakind

Brilliant_Rock
We are finishing a full bathroom remodel. The old and tiny fiberglass shower space will now become a linen closet. I had dreams of nice built in shelves but now we need access behind the wall for wiring so nothing can be built in. The options are to have wooden shelves but removable, held up on cleats. DH prefers wire shelving on brackets for full adjust-ability. I have trouble being decisive when I don't like the options.
1597354007083.png
If we have to do wire shelves I think I like this mounting option better...but no longer adjustable.
1597354120171.png
And I could make wooden covers for the wire shelves so they look more like built in. ???
1597354186255.png
I might just be overthinking this, lol. Or maybe there is another option I should consider?

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
my other half is a builder by trade and for the last 15 years before retirement he specialized in bathrooms
i have spent most of my working life working in hardwear shops the last 10 years in the timber office primarily dealing with builders and selling timber often for new builds
here most new houses that we delt with was the same as Gary learnt as an appearance many years ago
(but remembering alot of houses here still have the hot water cylinder in the house, usually in the linnen cupboard which we call the hot water cupboard)
im rambling :mrgreen2: but like your wiring a hot water cylinder needs access so similar to your situation with your wiring
we sold untreated pine for shelving that was not fixed, just sitting on some 45 x 18*screwed onto the wall some people like small gaps in between the planks for airflow like the wire system in your photo

i now have infinaty gas hot water so my linen cupboard is not warm like a hot water cupboard - my cat missed it from our old place, my shelves are screwed in because the hot water cylinder in this house was in the kitchen near the old gas connection 15973557501601736513983.jpg
* sorry i can't remember what that size is in imperial
sorry my linen cuboard isn't more tidy :lol-2:
its original so its 70 years old but they still do them more or less like this here

Last edited:

MollyMalone

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm wondering why your DH thinks adjustability is important for a linen closet? Since the contents of my linen closet -- bed linens, out-of-season blankets/comforters, towels, and a laundry hamper -- have been the same for years, I haven't ever wished for anything other than the built-in shelves that were there when I moved in.

So fwiw, I'd be voting for the removable wooden shelves, and not just 'cause that would be the cheapest :))

P.S. Congratualtions on your full remodeling!

janegum

Rough_Rock
No matter what you do, you will likely want something to put on the wire shelves so your linens don't get the lines in them from resting on wire.

1ofakind

Brilliant_Rock
I'm wondering why your DH thinks adjustability is important for a linen closet?

It could be because we work at different paces. Sometimes things get finished before they are finalized in my mind...but DH is ready to be done. And then we have to move/change it later. This way I can move shelves all over and he isn't involved, lol.

1ofakind

Brilliant_Rock
@Daisys and Diamonds I'll post pics when we are done and your hubby can take a look at our work. :)
In our last house there was an air handler that accessed through a linen closet. I hated it. I hardly used the closet because every 3 months we had to empty it out to change the A/C filter. There were 2 other walls that could have access doors but they put it in the closet. when we redid the bathroom we moved the access and made the closet into a shower.
In this house we are building a linen closet in the old shower space and putting the shower in the old closet. It sounds crazy but it's the best way to do the space in this bathroom, lol.

rocks

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
There is a Rubbermaid product called “configurations” that we used. It is very flexible and looks great. It is almost comparable to the product sold at the container store.

m-cubed

Shiny_Rock
Elfa FTW! You install one top rail and then everything hangs from that and is fully adjustable. Elfa is sold at The Container STore.

rocks

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Yes! Elfa. The configurations product very similar, but less expensive. We have several elfa towers in the mix. I found the configurations drawers to be a better product than the elfa.

MRBXXXFVVS1

Brilliant_Rock
+1 for Elfa, it's adjustable and you can install shelves that look more like built-ins!

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
What I wouldn't do to have a linen closet in my bathroom again. Only 2 of our houses ever had one! Maybe we could remove the bathtub and a window? Probably not.

I like all the suggestions, although I prefer a door on the closet. Wire racks are nice. We put a linen closet in the basement bathroom with just open wire racks, and I regret not putting a door on it. Daughter ended up putting a floor to ceiling curtain on it instead.

1ofakind

Brilliant_Rock
We have Configurations in our closets but this linen closet is deeeper shelves. I can find wire generic shelves that deep but I don’t think the configuration or Elfa.

rocks

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
We have Configurations in our closets but this linen closet is deeeper shelves. I can find wire generic shelves that deep but I don’t think the configuration or Elfa.

Bummer....

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results