shape
carat
color
clarity

My Barry/Sally Lotus is in da house!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
So a while back, I bought a colorless tourmaline from Barry (pics are somewhere) and decided on Sally''s Lotus setting. Sally made the setting based on pictures I sent her, but once I got it, I decided I wanted something a little more colorful in it, so it wouldn''t look like an engagement ring so much. So Barry did his magic and cut me a beautiful green tourmaline - it''s extremely bright in sunlight, and has a new grassy kind of tone to it (thanks Freke, for the description!).

Sally''s setting is absolutely incredible. It is so delicate and beautiful, and from a top-down view, the stone is absolutely centerstage, but then you look at the side and it has all of this elegance and uniqueness. My jewelers loved the setting (and the stone - they asked for the name of the gem cutter!).

Overall, I absolutely adore this ring, and I''m seriously considering Sally making me a square stone version of the setting for my blue-green tourmaline (to reset from the LOGR halo).

Stats:

Setting: The shank is very thin. I think about 1 mm. 18 kt. yellow gold with rhodium plating, to make it white. Size 3.5

Stone: 2.60 ct. green tourmaline, 8.5 mm. Cut by the master, Barry Bridgestock.

Now pics!

BEGEtsyTourmalineRing1.jpg

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
Side view

BEGEtsyTourmalineRing2.jpg

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock

BEGEtsyTourmalineRing3.jpg

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
Hand shot!

BEGEtsyTourmalineRing4.jpg

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock

BEGEtsyTourmalineRing5.jpg

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock

BEGEtsyTourmalineRing6.jpg

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock

BEGEtsyTourmalineRing7.jpg

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
Last one

BEGEtsyTourmalineRing8.jpg

akmiss

Brilliant_Rock
Congrats BEG! The ring looks perfect! I love Sally''s lotus setting so much
36.gif

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/21/2009 8:53:49 PM
Author: akmiss
Congrats BEG! The ring looks perfect! I love Sally''s lotus setting so much
36.gif

Thanks Akmiss! I love her setting too - I''m tempted to have her make another one for the clear tourmaline after all!

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
that is a gorgeous stone and ring setting.
36.gif

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock
What a gorgeous setting! I love it!

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
It''s gorgeous-I love it!

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Pretty!! I love the setting of course! I really need to stop being lazy and go find a place to get my lotus set
20.gif

cushioncutnut

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That turned out lovely!!! Best of both worlds!

cellentani

Ideal_Rock
Hey BEG, love the new ring -it''s so elegant! Of all of the settings Sally does, I think that one''s my favorite. So you''re thinking of setting your tourmaline in one - that one''s a cushion, right? I''ve got a couple of 8mm cushions that I''ve been trying to get settings for...hmmm....

ahappygirl

Brilliant_Rock
That is gorgeous! I love it! Congrats!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love the setting; it really makes the stone stand out from all directional view.

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
BEG, love it, it is gorgeous
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif
Yay for the Sally Lotus and beautiful stone
36.gif

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Elegant ring!

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
BEG, I LOVE it. Your green tourmaline looks so beautiful in the Lotus setting. That setting is my very favorite by Sally.
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif

CBL

Shiny_Rock
Trade
oh wow....just stunning.

chiquitapet

Ideal_Rock
That setting is so awesome!!!
36.gif

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
BEG... we've seen many stones in that (freaking awesome) lotus setting, but I have to say, this one is my favorite hands down. It's amazing. I LOVE the size of it, the color and contrast with the setting. Everything about it. I really just adore the ring. Wear it in the best of health!

choyoyo

Rough_Rock
Gorgeous Brown Eyed Girl!! I''ve been drooling over Sally''s settings. I am hopefully going to acquire an oval cab gem soon, and I think I want to place it in her lotus setting as a pendant, if she''s willing to accomodate non round shapes. Out of curiousity and ignorance, is tourmaline going to be okay if you ever need to rhodium plate again? I have no clue what types of stones are okay in a rhodium bath, other than sapphire and diamonds apparently.

ma re

Ideal_Rock
Really beautiful! Elegance with a touch of romance - lovely!

loriken214

Ideal_Rock
YAY BEG.....I LOVE YOUR NEW PRETTY....SALLY''S LOTUS IS PERFECT FOR YOUR GORGEOUS STONE!!!
30.gif

Lori

Lovinggems

Ideal_Rock
It''s very beautiful and elegant, it looks great on your hand.

B.E.G - I want to set my garnet in a lotus ring, but I''m not sure if I like the balance because the pointy end of the stone will leave a lot of empty space inside the ''lotus'', I like how a cab will fill the space out. Do you think it''s an issue or am I being pedantic?

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
Wow! I'm so flattered at how many of you stopped by and commented. THANK YOU SDLady, D&T, Lauren, Packrat, MTG, CCN, Cellentani, Ahappygirl, Chrono, Skippy, TL, Linda, CBL, Chiquitapet, Gypsy, Choyoyo, Ma re, Loriken and Lovinggems!!!

MTG, I can't wait to see your lotus set! Remind me again which stone you want to use?

Cellentani, I will let you know what Sally says about the new setting. She's calling it Elixir and it's for square stones (and yep, the tourmaline is a cushion). She's still refining the design, so I haven't seen pictures, but I'm very hopeful. She said she'll be done and have pictures for me soon!

Choyoyo, you know, I'm a bad PSer because I actually am not sure. Although it was redipped (because of setting it) and my jewelers didn't say anything...and they're pretty knowledgeable about colored stones. But hopefully someone else who knows more will add more!

Lovinggems, I looked at my ring, and then at this one and this one and I didn't see a gap between the culet and the setting. I think the bottom of the setting head is thick enough, if that makes sense, that you don't see a gap at all. I think you'll be fine - hope that helps!
1.gif

babysteps

Brilliant_Rock
It''s just beautiful!! I love the stone, and I am in jealous awe of your tiny fingers!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results