shape
carat
color
clarity

My Alexandrite on the way, initial thoughts?

BigC

Rough_Rock
Premium
I am a new Alexandrite purchaser, but did quite a bit of research and looking at stones in person and online.
I do NOT have the stone in my possession yet, but these are a few of the pictures I had to look at before making the purchase. Its a 0.81car Marquise, Blue Green changing to Purple
Hue: Blue, green and red
Intensity = High
Tone = Medium Dark
GIA #6183080260

Sorry if they are crappy pictures, NEWBIE HERE. I wanted something that wasn't your normal oval or round cuts, this checked all the boxes. The green is lighter than the picture indicates (as very common with photographing Alex's).
I will be adding it to a setting for my wife, June birthday. I am thinking of yellow gold with 2 pear shaped diamonds on the side. But once I have the stone, I will be finding the perfect setting for it.

Honest thoughts are appreciated, of course hard to judge without many pictures.
I will add more when I have the stone, and post pictures of the final ring once its settled on.
Thanks!

C
s.jpg
s-l160.jpg
s0.jpg
s-l1600.jpg

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Beautiful.
I would consider setting it east / west with two like “half moon” diamond halos either side that go down a bit onto the band.

BigC

Rough_Rock
Premium
Ohhh, very interesting setting suggestion. It never even crossed my mind to have the setting go east/west.
I will have to do some searches and see what that might look like!
THANKS for the suggestion.
I am just excited to view the stone in hand. Itll be here on Saturday (have to hide it from my wife first though).

BigC

Rough_Rock
Premium
That is quite a beautiful ring, that's where I am torn between a halo type piece or something simple as a solitaire or 3 stone setting. I want something that will allow the color changes and reflecting light, so that's why I figured small diamonds on the sides.

The size of the stone is 10.26 x 4.68 x 2.50

Its a little longer than most cuts of that size, as its shallower than most as well at 2.50. I am guessing I will be looking at quite a few options and have a very hard time picking one.

LilAlex

Ideal_Rock
Premium
https://www.propertyroom.com/l/14k-...-engagement-yellow-gold-ring-size-65/11183112

That is my initial thought, but I also don't want it to look like an engagement style ring, as itll be a right hand ring. Perhaps the halo is the way to go. Surround the stone in sparkle!

The one in that link is a little too plain for a quality stone, imo. That's a mass-produced commercial-grade setting designed for an unattractive stone. Nothing wrong with that, but I would not put your carefully researched strong-color-change Brazilian (yes?) alexandrite in it! Plus, the halo will better protect the fragile "points" of the marquise. But others here know more than I...

leukolenos

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
https://www.propertyroom.com/l/14k-...-engagement-yellow-gold-ring-size-65/11183112

That is my initial thought, but I also don't want it to look like an engagement style ring, as itll be a right hand ring. Perhaps the halo is the way to go. Surround the stone in sparkle!
Lovely stone. I do like a halo for this, but I’m a big partial as I’ve got a similar project going on myself. I feel like marquise stones don’t really lend themselves well to three stones. I saved a lot of marquise setting ideas in my search- happy to share if you like. I love browsing 1st dibs- they have many beautiful and fine things but it’s great for setting ideas!

BigC

Rough_Rock
Premium
Please share! As I am a rookie to Alexandrite and all colored stones for that matter. Any resources I have it all gravy! Thanks - I promise I wont steal you idea :)

leukolenos

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Please share! As I am a rookie to Alexandrite and all colored stones for that matter. Any resources I have it all gravy! Thanks - I promise I wont steal you idea :)
You can totally steal my idea if you want! You can go see what I’m doing on my ruby reset thread. I’ll pull up some of my other fave marquise settings as well. What’s the setting budget?

BigC

Rough_Rock
Premium
You can totally steal my idea if you want! You can go see what I’m doing on my ruby reset thread. I’ll pull up some of my other fave marquise settings as well. What’s the setting budget?

I had a budget of 1000-1500 initially, but if its something I fall in love with, I can always go more! But I would ideally like to be below $1500. (if possible - no idea what halos cost)

chatoyancy

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I can’t wait to see what you choose! We don’t see many marquise cut stones on here.

BigC

Rough_Rock
Premium
IMG_20180422_223727997.jpg
IMG_20180422_223343073.jpg IMG_20180422_223517256.jpg IMG_20180422_223945424_HDR.jpg

Excuse the hand picture. Haha. Here are better pictures of the stone. The green to purple is AMAZING! I really love the color change. As u can see in the last picture. The last inclusion which I hope doesn't take away from the beauty in a setting. It's only visible under certain light. Only down side of the stone. Otherwise it's flawless!!
Took me alot of finagling to get the decent shots!

BigC

Rough_Rock
Premium
IMG_20180422_223402913_HDR.jpg IMG_20180422_224323912.jpg

LilAlex

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That green is really pretty!

leukolenos

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
That stone needs a halo!!! I’m not sure how feasible it will be below $1500. Maybe keep it super simple? Or check out some Stuller options, but I’ve never priced out their halo products so I don’t really know. Is it a calibrated size?

BigC

Rough_Rock
Premium
10.26 x 4.68 x 2.50

Not sure what calibrated means :) does it fit a regular size 0.81car Marquise. I don't think so. It's longer. Most are around 10mm or shorter and fatter. It's also quite thin at 2.50.

Does that answer your question :) gem newbie here!

BigC

Rough_Rock
Premium
It doesnt have an irregular bottom like many of the round and oval cuts.
Looks very uniform.
It was a stone from a ring purchased back in 1997.

BigC

Rough_Rock
Premium
@LilAlex @leukolenos @chatoyancy

Thanks for all the input. I will be asking many questions on my journey to a final product.
What do u think the stone is worth? Hard to say but I'm hoping for a ballpark.
Taking it in to get appraised this week for insurance purposes but curious what I all think is a fair price :)
Before I tell what I paid. Perhaps a little over priced... But hard to find another Marquise cut Alex anywhere else, nearly 1 or a kind.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results