shape
carat
color
clarity

My 9.47 ct blue sapphire needs a setting. Any suggestions?

ingrid518

Rough_Rock
I have been a lurker of PS for quite sometime now. Being a lurker has been one of my motivation to work hard. And it has paid off big time! I was able to afford this big stunner! The local vendor said that this came from Burma and I got it for a good price.

dsc01891.jpg

I have been thinking of having it set in halo like this:

halo_flush_with_stone.jpg

But I'm afraid that the size of the stone is too much weight for the delicate "basket" setting that one big bump on my hand the stone with go fly away. :-o

Here's another setting that I am considering:

be1fh30r30_white_radiant_side.jpg

Any suggestions for this stunner?

Thanks!

platinumrock

Ideal_Rock
Re: My 9.47 ct blue sapphire needs a setting. Any suggestion

Hello Ingrid, welcome!! :wavey: So glad you came out of lurkdom to share your beautiful sapphire. What a nice blue color, and a dreamy size to boot! I found some examples of settings, but it depends on what your budget is, and if you want to work with an online vendor or prefer a local jeweler to do a custom job for you. Your options range from Daniel M. to Whiteflash, BGD to Leon Mege/Steven Kirsh as far as online vendors.

I personally love seeing blue sapphires of substantial sizes in white halos but with high karat yellow gold prongs. If you are concerned about the stone being too deep, it would be best to have a custom setting done. That way, the benchperson can determine the right proportions for your stone and help you plan a design.

Good luck, and feel free to post more pics of your sapphire! :))

PS: Make sure the setting is substantial enough for the stone, and it can handle daily wear.

lmsapphirehalo.jpg

sapphire-diamond-engagement-ring-gemnoobie.jpg

41jnx4cn8jl.jpg

j96.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

What is the mm measurement of your stone (width, length and depth)?

Do you have any handshots of the sapphire? It looks to be a bit dark in your pictures so it will be helpful to see it on the hand to see if a halo (size wise and colour wise) is a good option.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I second Chrono's request but would also ask whether you intend to wear this ring every day or if it'll be a special occasion one? If it's an every day ring, it needs to be set more practically (but still beautifully)!

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock

I third Chrono & LD's requests for a hand shot & dimensions. In your photo it looks dark so you'd want to set it with an open basket to allow in plenty of light. It would look beautiful with a halo -- depends on its size & your hand size whether more narrow & delicate or wider. I don't think there's a prettier way to set a sapphire than w/a diamond halo, so classical. (Diana/Kate notwithstanding.)

--- Laurie

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Quick question. You guys keep saying its a tad dark. Would recitting it, like concave gems or something help it?

I would set it with side stones, because i like that better than halos, personally, half moons or bullets

ingrid518

Rough_Rock

Hello everybody!

Thanks for helping me decide on the setting. I really appreciate it being a newbie in PS. :love:

Here's the handshot:

dsc01927.jpg

another

dsc01922.jpg

Since where I reside colored gems and diamonds are measured by WEIGHT only, the local seller did not know the specific width, length and depth of the stone. So I did the next best thing to take the measurements - a ruler! its 9(w)x12(l)x6(d)cm! :D

Length: (my apologies for the fingerprints :oops: )

dsc01936_0.jpg

I will only wear it during dates with the DH - about once a week and special occasions.

Thank you all for the help and support. Im learning every day from all your comments.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

If planning to wear this on your 4th finger, you do not have room for side stones unless they are baguettes set vertically or a super thin halo. The sapphire is windowed so I would do a halo setting to see if it can be minimized without further darkening the stone.

Nielseel,
The sapphire has good blue flash so a recut will make it brighter and livelier, reducing much of the extinction (black areas). Tone might be lessened but only ever so slightly. A recut will reduce the carat weight though, so that is the trade off. The stone is shallow and so it's not a good candidate for a recut since the carat weight loss will be significant.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Ok, so if this is going to be an occasion ring then you can be a bit more daring and adventurous with the setting! For example, pave diamonds will work (like the Leon Mege photo above). For everyday wear on a ring that big, I personally wouldn't recommend it but for occasion wear no problems.

The stone itself has a fairly large window. Does that worry/annoy you? If so, then we have to be creative with the basket that the gem will sit in. The problem is that normally to close up a window you'd have a fairly enclosed basket underneath (to reflect light back up to the eye). This doesn't get rid of the window but can make it less obvious. Now, the issue we have here is that your sapphire is dark and so enclosing it in a basket will exacerbate that UNLESS we're clever!

My advice would be to have a filigree type basket so it's closed but pierced with a design BUT I wouldn't have it coming right up to the edges of the stone - I would try to do some type of filigree arms that reach up from the basket and over the stone to hold it - perhaps studded with diamonds. I would also set it fairly high to allow light to get in at the sides.

Now then, if you're not bothered by how dark it is, then you could have a similar type of basket but with a halo. A halo would be lovely BUT it will darken the stone. The contrast of bright white diamonds will be nice against the sapphire but I'm worried about enclosing the gem too much.

Lastly, before it's set I would suggest you do something. I'm a little alarmed that your vendor doesn't know the measurements of your stone and this is highly unusual (for anywhere in the world)! I'm sure you're aware that sapphires (and the price of them) varies tremendously on whether it's a treated stone or not. As it's unset I would urge you to send it to AGL to get a lab report. Not just because I curious (although there is that!!!!) but you may need to properly insure this stone. IF you got it for a bargain, another is probably going to be hard to find so make sure you get covered - especially as very few jewellers will insure you stone while they're setting it - so any breakages will be down to you I'm afraid.

ingrid518

Rough_Rock

Chrono|1360705536|3378575 said:
If planning to wear this on your 4th finger, you do not have room for side stones unless they are baguettes set vertically or a super thin halo. The sapphire is windowed so I would do a halo setting to see if it can be minimized without further darkening the stone.

Nielseel,
The sapphire has good blue flash so a recut will make it brighter and livelier, reducing much of the extinction (black areas). Tone might be lessened but only ever so slightly. A recut will reduce the carat weight though, so that is the trade off. The stone is shallow and so it's not a good candidate for a recut since the carat weight loss will be significant.

Hello Chrono,

If ever I decide to have it recut, can you define significant carat weight loss? I can imagine the resized stone should fit inside the original stone. Around 3-5ctw give or take?

I have to find a reputable stone cutter here in the Philippines. :) thanks for the suggestion and seriously considering a recut because of you :)

PS Yes it will be a 4th finger ring :)

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

ingrid518|1360715167|3378721 said:

Nielseel,

Hello Chrono,

If ever I decide to have it recut, can you define significant carat weight loss? I can imagine the resized stone should fit inside the original stone. Around 3-5ctw give or take?

I have to find a reputable stone cutter here in the Philippines. :) thanks for the suggestion and seriously considering a recut because of you :)

would it have to be in the Philippines? There are nice precision cutters, and they might be able to ship it internationally.

As for the ctw i couldnt comment, probably would be best just to have the cutter tell you after looking at it. I wish concave gems was working, but heres DS's Richard Homer sapphire, I love those
[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/beaudry-ring-with-richard-homer-sapphire-from-pearlmans.174460/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/beaudry-ring-with-richard-homer-sapphire-from-pearlmans.174460/[/URL]

ingrid518

Rough_Rock

nielseel|1360717273|3378761 said:

Nielseel,

Hello Chrono,

would it have to be in the Philippines? There are nice precision cutters, and they might be able to ship it internationally.

As for the ctw i couldnt comment, probably would be best just to have the cutter tell you after looking at it. I wish concave gems was working, but heres DS's Richard Homer sapphire, I love those
[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/beaudry-ring-with-richard-homer-sapphire-from-pearlmans.174460/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/beaudry-ring-with-richard-homer-sapphire-from-pearlmans.174460/[/URL]
or Jeff white

Hello nielseel,

I am afraid it might get lost ;( The mail service here is not the reliable. Even if I have it FedEx or UPS. :((

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

ingrid518|1360717821|3378765 said:

Nielseel,

Hello Chrono,

or Jeff white

Hello nielseel,

I am afraid it might get lost ;( The mail service here is not the reliable. Even if I have it FedEx or UPS. :((

Oh my goodness that would be jsut terrible!

ingrid518

Rough_Rock

nielseel|1360718109|3378770 said:
ingrid518|1360717821|3378765 said:

Nielseel,

Hello Chrono,

or Jeff white

Hello nielseel,

Oh my goodness that would be jsut terrible!

Yes, nielseel that is why I am limited to local cutters :(

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I'm not Chrono and I'm sure she'll be along and will chime in but in answer to your question about a recut? As you can see, Chrono has said that the stone is unlikely to be a good candidate for a recut because of its depth. The window is large so that means you have to put in facets that are not there at the moment to reduce the window (simple explanation). Sometimes you can simply do a few adjustments without losing too much weight but your sapphire is quite shallow considering the length. So that means to do it properly and improve it enough, you'd be looking at a much more substantial recut.

I had a stone, very similar to yours, and spoke with a cutter who said I may lose up to 50%. That didn't make commercial sense as the value wouldn't improve (would significantly decrease) and I would have a much smaller stone (albeit prettier). I decided against it.

Also - and this is very important - sometimes a recut can affect a stone negatively where the colour changes to one that you might not like. There was somebody on this forum a few years ago who had a recut and he posted before/after photos and the after photos were horrible because of the new colour.

As for concave cut ems? Many people don't like them (I know I don't)! They have a very different and non traditional look.

If this is a highly treated gem then value for a total recut may not be a significant loss. If this is a untreated gem, the loss could be very significant.

ingrid518

Rough_Rock

LD|1360719397|3378781 said:
I'm not Chrono and I'm sure she'll be along and will chime in but in answer to your question about a recut? As you can see, Chrono has said that the stone is unlikely to be a good candidate for a recut because of its depth. The window is large so that means you have to put in facets that are not there at the moment to reduce the window (simple explanation). Sometimes you can simply do a few adjustments without losing too much weight but your sapphire is quite shallow considering the length. So that means to do it properly and improve it enough, you'd be looking at a much more substantial recut.

I had a stone, very similar to yours, and spoke with a cutter who said I may lose up to 50%. That didn't make commercial sense as the value wouldn't improve (would significantly decrease) and I would have a much smaller stone (albeit prettier). I decided against it.

Also - and this is very important - sometimes a recut can affect a stone negatively where the colour changes to one that you might not like. There was somebody on this forum a few years ago who had a recut and he posted before/after photos and the after photos were horrible because of the new colour.

As for concave cut ems? Many people don't like them (I know I don't)! They have a very different and non traditional look.

If this is a highly treated gem then value for a total recut may not be a significant loss. If this is a untreated gem, the loss could be very significant.

Thanks LD for this valuable comment. I have been reading around the forum about sapphires before I went to the local seller. However, when I saw it, I fell inlove with the color, a reminder of the blue uniform I wore in elementary and high school. So all those valuable information about looking and criticizing a sapphire when out of the window! :(sad So knowing that recutting might alter the color, I think it wont do it.

I'll just do some more research on how to set it, flaws and all :) thanks everybody!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

LD is correct that in order to close the window completely, you could be looking at a 50% carat weight loss. Such a significant material difference is bound to affect the colouration. The tone will be lighter and the saturation is likely to be lessened. The only way to know for sure is to have a lapidary study the stone.

Just out of curiosity (you don't have to tell us the answer), since you do not know the measurement of the stone, do you know the level of treatment? Just making sure you aren't getting ripped off by your vendor, in light that you mentioned getting this at a great price.

ingrid518

Rough_Rock

Chrono|1360725219|3378858 said:
LD is correct that in order to close the window completely, you could be looking at a 50% carat weight loss. Such a significant material difference is bound to affect the colouration. The tone will be lighter and the saturation is likely to be lessened. The only way to know for sure is to have a lapidary study the stone.

Just out of curiosity (you don't have to tell us the answer), since you do not know the measurement of the stone, do you know the level of treatment? Just making sure you aren't getting ripped off by your vendor, in light that you mentioned getting this at a great price.

Hi Chrono,

Right after I have bought the stone I went straight to my gemologist friend who co-owns a local pawnshop. And she said that it is natural, heat treated and poorly cut. So I was aware of the large window in the beginning. And she also said that I paid just right. And because I was so excited with this purchase, I forgot to have it measured. I will go back to my friend again to have it correctly measured.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I want to apologize. I didnt mean to suggest its not beautiful or you should cut it. They were taking about the color and i was just wondering in general if it was something a cut would fix. If you love the color dont think you should change it. Colored stones are all personal preference. What you love and what color speaks to you is what matters. This one certainly did, so its perfect!
This would be my choice
https://www.artofplatinum.com/vault/magnificent-purple-sapphire-ring

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock

I wouldn't recut it. It may have a window, but wow it's a huge stone and I really like the color. It's sure going to make a great ring!

ingrid518

Rough_Rock

nielseel|1360728378|3378906 said:
I want to apologize. I didnt mean to suggest its not beautiful or you should cut it. They were taking about the color and i was just wondering in general if it was something a cut would fix. If you love the color dont think you should change it. Colored stones are all personal preference. What you love and what color speaks to you is what matters. This one certainly did, so its perfect!
This would be my choice
https://www.artofplatinum.com/vault/magnificent-purple-sapphire-ring

No offense taken nielseel. With the comments I have been getting I am learning to be a wise gem buyer. :) And thank you for the suggestion, its beautiful :love:

ingrid518

Rough_Rock

Hello guys,

I really appreciate you taking time to answer my queries. Im feeling the love from this forum

Given all the flaws you guys have observed, is it still best to be stone for a ring? Or should I consider also setting it in something else like a pendant?

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Ingrid - if you love the stone and I think you do, then of course it's right for a setting. HOWEVER, unless you're happy to do this, you don't really want to spend thousands on a setting IF the stone is worth about $1k (or less if it has been aggressively treated).

If your gemologist could determine that the sapphire had been heated, that leads to a further question i.e. what other treatments have been applied. So for example, is this dyed? Has it been BE diffused? Has it been filled? If you look at your stone it's remarkably clean for a 10ct stone. That CAN be indicative of fairly heavy treatments or that its synthetic. Could it be a synthetic corundum? Some jewellers/gemologists are, unfortunately, much more versed in diamonds and not in coloured stones so the information you have now may be correct or not.

If you don't care about treatments (and some don't and that's absolutely fine), then determine a budget for a setting and go for it. I guess that we're cautious about good deals for large, clean stones and want to make sure you haven't been ripped off. ;-)

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

If you love the sapphire and want to set it in a ring, then by all means do so.

ingrid518

Rough_Rock

Thank you for all your comments guys. I really appreciate it. I'll bring the stone to my gemologist friend after Valentine's day and get more detailed info on the stone. :)

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

ingrid518|1360763713|3379043 said:
Thank you for all your comments guys. I really appreciate it. I'll bring the stone to my gemologist friend after Valentine's day and get more detailed info on the stone. :)

Ingrid - your gemologist won't be able to tell you much with certainty. That's why we've suggested you send to a lab. Some treatments are invisible and need specialist lab equipment to give you a definitive answer on what you've got. The price you paid can be indicative of treatment level. For example, a 10ct untreated gem even with a window would probably be around $25-50k, heated only would be anywhere from $8-30k and any further treatment could be $1-4k. If the person who sold it to you was a gem dealer they will have priced this stone accordingly.

ingrid518

Rough_Rock

LD|1360764591|3379052 said:
ingrid518|1360763713|3379043 said:

Ingrid - your gemologist won't be able to tell you much with certainty. That's why we've suggested you send to a lab. Some treatments are invisible and need specialist lab equipment to give you a definitive answer on what you've got. The price you paid can be indicative of treatment level. For example, a 10ct untreated gem even with a window would probably be around $25-50k, heated only would be anywhere from $8-30k and any further treatment could be $1-4k. If the person who sold it to you was a gem dealer they will have priced this stone accordingly.

Hi LD, again thanks for the info. I should have a sign in my forehead "newbie gem buyer" :(

Since here we pay for carat weight, I paid around within the heated treatment stone range.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Ingrid: welcome and please don't spend any time feeling badly about being new to this! Just think of what you now know and will be ready to buy next time! Oh, yes, and be careful because it is an addiction and there is no cure.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

If you're worried about the window, perhaps a heavy gallery will help disguise it a bit, although it may darken the stone. If you want a secure but more dainty setting, I would go with platinum, which may be more costly, but it will be definitely more secure, or even a platinum head only if you want some gold in the look. I would also do double prongs since it is a large stone, and that helps to alleviate the chance it might fall out of the setting.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results